Options

Moraghan Training - Stevie G

Comments

• Options

AG: I've been using the head torch quite a bit recently, albeit on paths that I know. Last night did reps in the park on the tarmac paths and tonight I ran down the river bank and nearby woods, although on decent gravel. I actually find the footing safer than running on the pavements that are currently covered in leaves or puddles. Also last night I saw only one person (walking his dog on an annoying long lead that meant he had little control over said animal); tonight I saw no-one. No pedestrians/cyclists/cars etc to get in the way.

I will now probably fall over next time I'm off-road in the dark!

Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • Options

I regularly run home from the station (and actually "to" now its dark until 8!) off-road, through the woods by myself with a head torch. I've been doing it for 10 years now (it's definitely lost it's novelty value!). My head torch now is so much brighter than when I first started - makes me wonder how I managed - and the route is obviously very familiar. Despite this, I still very occasionally get temporarily misplaced and even manage to spook myself sometimes - especially when I see a story in the local rag about the "Beast of Bucks"!  It does worry me sometimes what might happen if I knocked myself unconscious on a tree or something, as it would be a very long time before anyone found my hypothermic corpse!

• Options

I thought you were the Beast of Bucks Bus?

I used to do nightime XC runs with my old club. Generally good fun when well lit with strong head-torches. Not so fun with a crappy one. The pace was never silly.

I ran through Swinley woods back in Oct and left home in the dusk thinking I could get round in time. It gets pretty spooky out there.

Pedestrian 5km today with no grumbles and a happy disposition afterwards.

• Options
    I was thinking if I head out with the intention of doing a bit of murdering then I'll be less scared, change of perspective.
  • Options

image Iron - in some ways!

5.5M to work this morning. Pleasant enough, if slow, then work Christmas lunch. Only we could book a 2pm lunch in a pub miles from anywhere that stops serving at 3pm image. You'd think they might have mentioned that when we booked....

• Options
    The Bus wrote (see)

image Iron - in some ways!

5.5M to work this morning. Pleasant enough, if slow, then work Christmas lunch. Only we could book a 2pm lunch in a pub miles from anywhere that stops serving at 3pm image. You'd think they might have mentioned that when we booked....

Shocking organisational skills. Obviously planned with an afternoon's productivity in mind.

I can't make our Christmas lunch so met up with a colleague today for a quick catch-up. Got to Reading at 1230 and had to pick up the kids at 1500, which entailed missing the 1412 train and getting a taxi to the school. image.

3 pint power hour!

• Options

Nah - just decamped to a cheap pub in Aylesbury afterwards image

Much better run than of late today. 10.3M of hills, still plenty of mud but a pace of 8.20 Not quick, but a min per mile faster than most off-road runs recently.

• Options

Bus - I'd recommend that cheap one that the Boxing day 5k registration is in! Shame I cant do thst this year, but my mates Pete and Chris will be keeping the LBAC end up.

AG - Although it's not slippy, it's the endless wind and cloud I can't stand. We need some frost, this mild weather isn't healthy - need to kill some diseases off image

6 miles back home tonight and then finally beer and footie tomorrow in Brum (WBA). I love the races, but you just spring out of bed a bit more when you're out on the lash with your mates image

Might sneak a reps session in early doors though..

• Options

We were in one of the Wetherspoons - £2.40 a pint fro real beer compared to £4.95 in the first one!

I've never done the VOAAC Boxing Day race - can't bring myself to go to Aylesbury if I'm not working!!

Talking of beer, tonight is supposed to be the booziest night of the year. Glad I'm not going anywhere on my bike!

Managed to whack myself with a branch earlier. It hurt a wee bit at the time, but nothing to worry about. Couple of hours after and my calf has seized up! 

• Options

Lunch run today and after 2.5 miles I came across a cinder running track. Quick change of plan meant 4 x 800 followed by 1 x 1 mile.

Planned 2:45 for the 800's and the average came out 2:45, 5:23 for the mile. Low volume but ran out of time. The return trip was 1 mile so looks like I can do quite a good lunch session. Track is free as well so no need to sneak on.

Bit windy though image

• Options

Good find that! That mile was quite tasty....

• Options
    PeteMPeteM ✭✭✭

nice impromptu session Andrew, where's the track?

• Options

Just underneath the 2012 Olympic logoimage

• Options
    PeteM wrote (see)

nice impromptu session Andrew, where's the track?

(Checks Strava) Didn't know there was a track there. There is however a parkrun in the same complex. Good reps!

Hour on the bike at lunch.

• Options
    PeteMPeteM ✭✭✭

Braywick then Iron? Must check that one out next time I do Maidenhead parkrun. 

• Options

Yes it was Braywick. It's nothing special but does the job, there were a couple of puddles in lane 1.

• Options
    PeteM wrote (see)

Braywick then Iron? Must check that one out next time I do Maidenhead parkrun. 

Andrew G wrote (see)

Yes it was Braywick. It's nothing special but does the job, there were a couple of puddles in lane 1.

I didn't want to steal your reveal. I'll leave that to PMJ image

• Options

Needs to be much more cryptic to make it worth Philip's while image

• Options
    PeteMPeteM ✭✭✭
    l went and checked it out! Did the pr in 19'06 which was good enough for 1st male but not 1st overall as a quick lady was mid 18's. Bit disappointed with that time as the course was in good nick. Definitely overaced right now and need the break from xc after tomorrow with different niggles starting.Few laps of Andrew's track as a warmdown; looks a good addition to the local training options.
  • Options

Good result Pete. Has the shingle area settled down at Maidenhead? I was there for the inaugural and that bit was the speedsucker.

Club ride this morning followed by full English at the cafe.

• Options
    PeteMPeteM ✭✭✭

Yes Iron, I hadn't been since their 2nd one in March and remember the shingle but its settled right down making the course very straightforward and pretty fast.There is just that annoying short steep hill at the end of each circuit to slow you down now!

• Options

I also went out on a club ride but my crank arm fell off so I was too late and spent 20 minutes in the bike shop getting it fixed.

Rode to the Cafe and joined the group on the way back. First time I have done a group ride since last spring and it felt stupidly easy. 

• Options

Should have carried on with one crank arm to make it more difficult then AGimage

Nice parkrun Pete. How many this year?

Iron-mmmm full English.....

• Options
    PeteMPeteM ✭✭✭
    47 I think Bus! Can't get to 50 for the year now after missing last week's though. XC cancelled this morning due to a rave in Crowthorne woods. That's a novel reason!
  • Options

Are there not any of those extra ones parkrun do for Christmas to squeeze them in?

14M of mud and hills today, to make my last 50+ week of the year. Legs back to what seems to be normal today - lethargic and heavy! Incredibly slow pace!

• Options
    PeteMPeteM ✭✭✭
    There's only 1 extra Bus on Xmas Day amd it always seems too much dometic grief to try and do that one! Even that could only get me to 49. Other extras are NYD.
  • Options

Ahh, a nice round 50 might be worth the grief, but definitely not 49! Stick with 47... it's my age as well as being the 15th prime. Thinking about it, I wonder if that means I am in my prime????

• Options

There is some bizarre parkrun rule that allows for 2 parkruns on NYD, but even if you can get to 2 parkruns on Xmas day only one counts.

I shall be at Bracknell on Xmas day and the day after. Cafe will not be open.

We were not going to XC anyhow but a shame to hear it was cancelled, though the right decision. Lots of our neighbours were complaining about the drum and bass noise in the distance. We're probably 7km away as the crow flies.

The Bus wrote (see)

Ahh, a nice round 50 might be worth the grief, but definitely not 49! Stick with 47... it's my age as well as being the 15th prime. Thinking about it, I wonder if that means I am in my prime????

It is also your height in inches I believeimage

• Options

bus, remember to celebrate 49 big time when it crops up as it is a square of a prime. Don't get many such special birthdays: 4, 9, 25, 49 and then 121 is unlikely.

Got my 20 miler done yesterday to finish off the base building part of the campaign. I feel I cheated a bit as I normally go up in 1 mile steps but this year I went from 18 to 20 and missed out 19 so may have to go back and do the 19 between Christmas and the New Year.

The route I have done for the last few years is along the Ridgeway which is a great route navigation as it is well marked but is a little irritating as I have about 2 or 3 miles of mud and slippery clay (through Chinnor cement works where they filmed parts of Die Another Day) at the start (and end as it is out and back) so I decided to try starting from a new car-park and it just swapped one set of obstacles for another.

Anyhow, 20 miles done in a shade under 3 hours so good time on the feet run. Felt comfortable all the way and the knee only moaned once or twice, but I fear it was due to the very easy pace and need to try out with some fast work sometime but not when I am 10 miles away from my car with no clue where it is other than retracing my steps.

• Options
    DachsDachs ✭✭✭

Slightly frustrating weekend for me, particularly with the cross country cancellation.  I wasn't going to run, but, together with the ladies' captain, had done the bulk of the pre-organising of the race, and hadn't really appreciated before how much work goes into these things.  To have that all come to nothing because a bevy of penises who seem to believe it is still 1991 decide to hold an all-night rave in the woods is massively infuriating. 

However, there's been lots of supportive messages from the other clubs, appreciating the work that goes in and agreeing with the cancellation decision our club chairman made, so that's nice at least.

On top of that, struggling with illness torpedoed all my running plans for the last few days, but never mind, was probably due a rest anyway.

Good parkrun Pete.

Solid 20 PMJ.  Nice to be already amongst the 20s before Christmas.  Nice muddy run too Bus.