Options

Moraghan Training - Stevie G

Comments

• Options

I am doing it to HR generally, although I ran it more to pace tonight. I think the book is 80-91% which is 156-177.

Tonight's run was 171 or 88% and came out at about 6mm. 6:09, 6:02, 5:58, 5:55 & 5:57.

• Options
    DachsDachs ✭✭✭
    I do it at half marathon pace. I find 10 mile pace (5:23 ish) to be too hard to hit in a continuous road run, more something for long reps on the track. But today it was to perceived effort anyway.
  • Options

Followed up the LT session with a 14m MLR back to work this morning off hardly any sleep, feeling very sleepy now. image 

Is it time to go back to triathlon yet?

• Options

That's pushing it hard AG! 14 counts as an LSR in my book!

10M for me today, aiming for middle 8 at MP (effort). Good run, as came out at 6:34 pace for the whole thing, including a 7:40 warm up mile, and with the next 4 into a pretty stiff wind. Also includes 400 feet of hills, so pretty happy with that...

• Options
    RicFRicF ✭✭✭
    Andrew G wrote (see)

Is this Southern XC thing a club only event, I fancy doing this next year, would I need to join a running club?

Andrew, If you're not in a running club already, how is it you can run in the TVXC league? as far as I see things, if you qualify for that, you qualify for the National, Regionals and County events.

Your club secretary still has to put in entries though by a closing date.

Just back in from having an Endoscopic Ultrasound. Wasn't too bad at all. Being fit helps lots with this sort of thing.

🙂

• Options

Ric, I am part of a Tri club, it's not UKA affiliated.

That procedure sounds hideous, thanks for sharing!

• Options

Talking about nasty procedures and stuff, my list of medical problems goes on.. "Check up" today and told I have no choice but surgery and quickly at that, they pushed and did my pre op assessment today so 3 hours later of waiting and examinations with things being shoved up my anal passage I'm home

Having a Haemorrhoidectomy

Will be less than 10 months since my ear / head operation end of April last year but this is going to stop me running for some time.. Back in for surgery 2nd March which means Eastleigh and probably Southampton 10KM out of the question

Off for a 10 miler shortly to celebrate. 

Hope all is well Ric

AG - Good follow up run there! 

Pain is weakness leaving the body
  • Options

Sorry to hear that Scott, that's a real bummer (bad taste?)  as you seem to be in great shape, how long will you be out of action?

• Options

HAHA!

They have said at least two weeks but obviously depends on recovery and how comfortable I feel.. It could then be another couple of weeks building into it, however I I think the rest will be ok, especially with my foot niggle, just doing zero activity will be crap..

Think I'm more annoyed I'll miss Eastleigh in which I would have hope to hit a PB.. 18 days after the op I don't think I can do it

• Options

Ric - sounds like you are being measured inside out! Fingers crossed the results are positive from that. Presumably a bit of a wait?

Scott - image. You poor thing! You really do seem to get the shitty end of the stick! On the plus side, your fitness and natural talent will see you through and a couple of weeks is not the end of the world - frustrating as it will be at the time!

• Options
    RicFRicF ✭✭✭

Not sure about that Bus. I was told to expect results in only two days. The doctor said they already knew about the lesion on my pancreas but during the examination, they said they found something else. A biopsy has been taken rather than a mere look.

Next month I get one up the other end.

Strange how anything I've been diagnosed with has been the result of volunteering for tests and the like. I've yet to feel ill. I guess the medics like playing around with a specimen in reasonable shape. My resting HR of 36 bpm had em thinking.

🙂

• Options

Fingers crossed Scott. Sounds painful.

Andrew G wrote (see)

Followed up the LT session with a 14m MLR back to work this morning off hardly any sleep, feeling very sleepy now. image 

Is it time to go back to triathlon yet?

Mon-Wed early morning (back by 0730) so today was runch intervals. 3x 1mile @10km effort with 1mile jog in between. #2 and #3 came out at 5km pace so something is working. Rest day tomorrow.

We've been round the UKA discussion in the club before. AGM is coming up so it can be an idea to push it through. Else we will lose the speedy runners to UKA clubs and XC season will involve me scoring each week. Hold on... that sounds like a plan!

• Options

Ric - never volunteer image

Sounds a bit worrying though - if positive thoughts can help, they are on their way, but you are made of tough stuff and I'd bet good money all the results will be fine.

• Options

Funny you mention it IC, I did email them today about whether affiliation was possible. Reading HM is about £5-6 cheaper alone.

• Options
    RicFRicF ✭✭✭

Cheers Bus. For some reason the medical profession seems to go out of it's way to get me fixed, and fast. 

This last procedure wasn't one I fancied. I initially thought they were just running it out of some sort of 'tick box' mentality. So resisted for a while.

Then I had a chat with a consultant who phoned me and I agreed I had better have the test.

Now I just do what they say.

And what they said the day before yesterday was 'no excessive exercise, driving motor vehicles or alcohol for 24 hours after the 'sedation'.

I didn't ask for that (sedation) they insisted. I remember nothing much on account of it.

Well I haven't been driving anywhere, but I've just done another 15 miler on foot (a whole 3.6 seconds per mile faster than on Sunday - same route) and will have a tin of something interesting soon image

🙂

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

How we cracking folks? Had an odd couple of weeks, so only had the merest of leafs through. Scotty, hope your latest health situation goes as best as possible, am sure you'll come through flying like normally. And thanks again for the very kind accommodation offer, can't see me doing any distance away races for a long while though.

Spent a fair amount of time up north last couple of weeks for work. Did wonder how I'd train through, but a bad cold took any worry on that score away, a rare full week's rest so far, and I expect this weekend as well!

Finally got the end result on the months and months of tests, seems most likely I had an "episode" of myocarditis.

Now look that sh!t up online and it ranges from "can pass through quickly with no lasting results" to "sudden death" image.

Got some scar tissue that's consistent with having had a bit of the carditis, and it seems it was probably a virus that got in and the post race collapse and breathing situation for months after is all part of it.

However, doc has officially given the go ahead to "resume" training (5months of 60miles weeks...cough), and the vast majority of the tests were "encouraging".

I guess the super irony, is all that potentially serious stuff barely lost me a day of training, yet a dodgy cold has wiped it off the agenda for a week image

So I guess post cold, i'll get back into what I was doing, and then maybe look to chuck a parkrun in, and progress slowly, and get in touch with them if anything else happens. I'm referred onto another geezer, but I think it's more for their interest than needing any further tests myself. They mentioned it was a very unusual case. I guess they generally see either out of shape older geezers, or if the person is fit, they'll have had a proper collapse, rather than at the end of a race.

Worrying thing I suppose, is that you'd think you'd know if you had a virus, you'd expect to feel knackered, have a temp, aching muscles etc, and I didn't get more than the merest sign of a bit of heat before the 2 races pre this all starting. That whole costochondritis thing in spring must have been the start of it all, who knows what say 2-3 weeks pure rest back then could have done.

But hey, on we go.

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

ps Ric, hope all turns out well with your situation too. I don't even want to look up the test you mention!

• Options

That's good news, it brought a smile to my face,  SG. I guess it's more a mental hurdle to resume racing. I reckon once the gun goes you'll slot back into race mode without a moments thought.

Muddy trail long run for me today, about 12 miles on the Thames path mixed with a few muddy hills and some roads either end. 22.7 miles in total, pace was slow but it's one of the long ones in the bank.

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

let's hope so AG, the letter did have a disclaimer about "you will probably have lost some fitness" in there, so that's my alibi.

well...if I'd stopped completely when they first gently raised the idea, I'd have not run for about 3months! Luckily I interpreted it as "stop until you have these 2 tests this week, and if there's anything untoward we'll let you know"

• Options

Probably fitter than ever SG image

Good to have you back properly, and glad they've given it a name, ruled out a bigger issue and given you the confidence to think about racing again! On the down side, that means you'll pull even further ahead on the head to heads image I have to say, there is a part of me feeling just a tad smug, as didn't I say it was a virus all along? That was, of course, pure conjecture on my part and based on no medical evidence at all, but hey ho!  How about Staines 10k as a comeback race?

Mud, mud and more mud for me! Double today, with home in the dark and some foul weather setting in. Took another trip over a hidden branch in thick mud and fell wrists deep into the stuff. Came away looking like a very poorly made up extra from the black and white minstrel show! Also had a bit of a pull on a hamstring. Hopefully nothing, but will have to wait and see - a salutory lesson on how easy it is to screw yourself up when you think everything is going OK....

So, 44M in 4 days - 34 of it mud and hills - and 16 Sunday for my first 60 in ages, then 2 weeks taper to Wokey......

• Options

AG - just re-read. 22.7M - blimey!!! You don't do things by half do you??

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Bus, I think we all said virus all along image  Even my old boss, who is as into his exercise as I'm into my marathons reckoned that about 5months ago. It's a vague "One term fits all" phrase innit. But yeah.

Has been an odd sort of limbo though, awaiting the proper finality of the results. But it's allowed for the system to gently ease back properly.

And I won't be attempting any sort of races that have any sort of standard, or have anyone I've ever met before at. I'll be hooking up with Pete M and doing some turdburgler standard park and run monstrosities which are won in 24mins, and i'll be top 5 for starters image

Long term aim is to get back to my roots and hoover up some top 3 in the Cock and Rim 3.7mile village fete race, or seek out some first year MT nonsense that the likes of EOG and Bus aren't at. Maybe having put out some ringer info on fb, so that Phil's diverted off the scent, it'll be like old times.

All we'd need is someone like Cop Out to show up and say my progress has been a bit of a gashfest despite my "best efforts" and it could be 3 years ago again. I'm excited.

AG - I certainly missed that 22miler! Cripes. I read the 12, and thought decent, and I suppose in my "comeback number 83" of the thread ego billaged toss mentality, misread the 22 as some sort of weekly total (which erm beats my weekly total...by 22)

so well done.

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

big pimping as well from you Bus.

Good luck at Wokingham all. I can't say any part of me envies anyone doing a half marathon after my meltdown last time out, but I'm sure you'll crack it.

• Options
    RicFRicF ✭✭✭

SG, it's good if things are picking up. This myocarditis business is something I've surely broached around here. It's one reason why I don't run hard through viruses even if the symptoms have passed the 'pain and discomfort' stage.

However, we've all done it. I once 'cooked' one out of my system doing a nine miler while over dressed. 

The test I had was really; as far as my awareness was concerned, nothing. It involved sending a camera down the cake hole for a look. The gadget could also take bits out for closer examination.

I had a nice sleep actually. I was put on a bed in the recovery position, given a pillow and a blanket and then they gave me something to erase my memory.

Only part of the procedure I remember was when they had nearly finished. I guess the anesthetic had worn off by then but I thought it best not to mention it to them, so kept my eyes shut. The oxygen they fed me throughout was good. I sure felt lively afterwards. Could do with some of that in the middle of a race, however, the weight of the cylinder would probably cancel out any gains.

🙂

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

problem is Ric, you don't always know when you've got a virus, but I dare say hindsight would have me doing a lot of the last almost year differently!

Hope all goes to plan going forward then Ric. Like me, you love a good anecdote, but I'm sure we want to be creating some new ones with new racing/hard luck stories.

I envy the nice sleep actually! 3 nights in hotels this last 10days, all of them waking at about 3am!

• Options
    PeteMPeteM ✭✭✭

Good to hear you've got the full story now SG and even better to hear you'll be resuming your racing career at parkrun level! Be warned though, its not 2010 any more when hardly anyone had heard of parkrun; you'll need to reach the dizzy heights of sub 19 if you want to win, sorry finish 1st, in any that aren't out and out mud-festsimage 

btw looked at my stats the other day and realized I've now finished in each place from 1st to 10th at parkrun at least 10 times. How that is a sad 'achievement'.

Hope you get the all clear soon Ric; you've got me worried now being near to your vintage myself.

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

I keep a collation of all my results too Pete, so I'd never say any stats houndery is sad. It's what motivates us.

I managed not to win a parkrun in 4 goes when I was actually on it, even with a 16.53, so I certainly wouldn't count the recovery me as any sort of given! I suppose it's more for the short, easily accessible nature, and to get back into the racing vibe and wipe out the memory of the last race!

If I have to masquerade as my aliases Tito Fuentes, or Johnny Ballsaq for a while, so be it!

• Options
    Coming to the bottom of things nicely SG and hopefully now turned a corner and you can think of doing something over than 60 MPW with no goals etc

Been reading several training methods and ideas, came across Drew hunter, the US high schooler (18) who ran 7:59 - Lots of talk how he follows a different training approach to most other "elite" runners, all easy stuff at 7m/m and workouts and something called CV pace.

Worth a little read, and also a pace / training calculator which shows training paces and is allegedly very accurate

Is has 15:51 / 26:04 / 33:03 for 5/8/10 km

And I'm at 15:52 / 26:08 / 33:00

http://www.runningprs.com