Options

Moraghan Training - Stevie G

Comments

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

26 and 27 sec 200 reps Scott? My word you certainly do seem to recover very well from bad sounding stuff.
    I probably sound the same in fairness, albeit to an obviously slower standard, I suppose it's how it feels to the person, you know when it's not right don't you.

Good parkrunning n training from the rest of you. Bus, are you and Parkrun Pete the same person? Or are you doing a parkrun every week until I get round to one? image

6 yesterday, 13.5 today.  6.53 pace yesterday, 6.55 today.
    Strange thing is that the Saturday run usually feels harder, and gives more feelings of my perception of faster pulse/heavier breathing, that is some percentage in my head!

Can only imagine it's mostly down to a late(for me) night Friday, late wake up, and ages of lounging around before getting out, whereas Sunday is a fairly strict up 6, know you're getting out 7ish,

Run with the local legends Bus n Phil tomorrow, so a nice leisurely social run for a change. Will be a treat, different route, actual company and for once not getting obsessed with sub 7 easy pace or pushing on a track!

• Options
    literatinliteratin ✭✭✭

Haha, Bryants Bottom.

• Options
    The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

Indeed Lit - don't get me started, or I'll have to tell you how the surface has deteriorated over the last few years, or how coming into Bryant's Bottom when it's damp can be a hazardous affair on worn out rubber...

• Options
    PeteMPeteM ✭✭✭
    Great running Bus, PMJ, Scott and SG and cycling Reg and Iron and building Ric! Pleased to report I am not Bus and have done another pr/10k double over the weekend in 18'35 (Upton Court) and 37'52 club 10k monthly event. Very pleased sub 38 on the latter as quite an undulating course. Advice please guys; if I did a flat 5 miler next week would I have any chance of sub 30? 6'06 av today but over a bit longer. Don't want to bother entering and busting a gut to do 30'40 or something similar but sub 30 would look good on the CV. Btw PMJ I already have tickets for the Saturday of the 6 day cycling event you mentioned a while back. Would be good to meet you and any other forumites going. if we can sort thst out.
  • Options
    The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

You should get pretty close I reckon Pete, if you get good conditions and do a bit of a taper beforehand image

Good work on the double....

• Options

PeteM, will be close. Sub 30 for 5 miles for a man of your age is a tough WAVA call and alongside your best. If the stars align up and the course is flat and the weather is good and it is paced well, you have a chance. Clearly should be inside 30:40 but may be low 30s.

• Options
    Reg WandReg Wand ✭✭✭

Love the realism PMJ. I m sure you're the best judge of whether you can do it, Pete but seems like it's on or around the limit so a good target.

First longish run today post marathon. I have a half ironman (HM run) in July so I wanted to do an HM on tired cycling legs.

Did a progression with a few hills starting at 7:30 and finishing with a 6:11 avg 6:50. Felt ok if a bit tired from a hard ride yesterday. Good training as the Ironman race is hilly and tough.

• Options
    DeanR7DeanR7 ✭✭✭

I think you can do it Pete.   Ease off on a parkrun the day before though.

• Options
    DeanR7DeanR7 ✭✭✭

Also. Don't know if anyone saw but Jonnyd achieved the Olympic qualifing time over 5000 this week with a tidy 13.23

• Options
    The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

Nice one Jonny image

Met one of your half Ironman competitors today AG, whilst out for a social run with PMJ and SG. Nice run along the Thames - thanks chaps. Very pleasant, but hard work nonetheless doing a 10 after yesterday's 13. Can't remember ever having done back to back double digit runs before - ideal start for a cut-back week then image

• Options
    Reg WandReg Wand ✭✭✭

13.23, he's like a proper runner, isn't he. Very impressive.

You chatting to strangers as you run, Bus. Was he wearing triathlon paraphernalia?

I've actually never done a half before, I am looking forward to it.

• Options
    The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

He had oddly wet shorts, so when he overtook us (much to SG's annoyance!) Philip asked him if he had been swimming. Other than the shorts he was dressed perfectly normally, but on further conversation proffered that was doing a half iron in July...

• Options
    Reg WandReg Wand ✭✭✭
  • Options
    The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

Indeed.....

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

shocking to see as we were going ferociously image

• Options
    The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

Again, indeed..... Philip beat him by a considerable margin at VMLM though.

• Options
    Thanks Ric! I'd honestly say the meds help. My pain threshold has definatley gone up. Pain wise running is ok. I don't have pain when I run really. Generally after going to the toilet is when I suffer, and then for the best part of the day with pain. It still feels heavy and like something large is stuck up there I have days its good though and doesn't affect me much, normally it's uncomfortable and not good walking and stuff but just get on with it. I have another check up this week or next depending on doc availability

Trying not to take lots of the painkillers. Generally 1/2 after I go then again after breakfast, but then none afterward unless I past lunch time and it's pounding still (like today)

Excellent stuff Jonny! 13:3x sounds incredible but 64s doesn't in a way!

40 miles last week spread. Got a 7 miler in. Hope to run 3 X 8 milers this week and that'll be it for a good few weeks now, don't need to go longer (perhaps build one long run upto 12 in time)
    Pain is weakness leaving the body
  • Options

It is only overtaken if it is a race, otherwise it is passed while we were pootling along.

• Options
    Reg WandReg Wand ✭✭✭

I had a guy behind me today as I hit the bottom of a hill and he had ambitions of overtaking me. I don't care if it's a race or not, I wasn't going to let it happen. I am competitive whatever the situation.

Went on a bike ride with my wife a few weeks ago and it was killing me being overtaken. Sad I know.

• Options

All perception: anyone I pass is clearly slower than me and I beat them hands down, anyone passes me and I'm taking it easy.

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Also, it is borderline stupidity to alter your session just to "beat" someone you have no idea who they are, or what session they're doing...

• Options
    literatinliteratin ✭✭✭

There are no prizes for 'winning' a training run... though yesterday as I was cycling home I was slightly disgruntled to be overtaken by two blokes. I had to remind myself that they were on road bikes dressed in proper cycling kit, I was on a hybrid with panniers wearing jeans, and I'd just eaten a gigantic roast lamb dinner with second helpings and pudding. But still...

• Options
    Reg WandReg Wand ✭✭✭
    I'll change my route not just the session to overtake someone ????
  • Options
    The Bus wrote (see)

He had oddly wet shorts, so when he overtook us (much to SG's annoyance!) Philip asked him if he had been swimming. Other than the shorts he was dressed perfectly normally, but on further conversation proffered that was doing a half iron in July...

People training for IM are like pilots; they tell you. Anyhow half-iron is for wimps and slackers.

Sounds like a nice day out guys, and a good ride AG. I have also experienced the rear-wheel overtaking the front on a descent and it does make the sphincter twitch. Good that you kept it rubber side down though.

13minutes something for a 5000m. That's just showing off. Well done JD image

5miles ran yesterday to/from the Lookout and the kids cycled alongside. 50min rest in the middle as we booked go-ape and then they hit the playground. Achilles still not right so another week of no running. On the plus side I took 5 minutes of my 25mi TT time today so very happy with that on what I was told is a 'slow' day. image

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Mad skillz from Johnny D indeed!

Back on planet realism, session 7, 8x400 at 1500 pace, choice of 2-3mins recovery. 
    Went with the shorter recovery this time, as i might need to take the 3mins when we get into the 800 pace 400s in a few weeks.

After a big speech to Bus yesterday about how you don't moan about wind when going well, and how i've been lucky in my few weeks back on the track, I got there and straight away the wind was up!

From rep 3 it was a little like wading through treacle from 100-200m, meaning each rep had a strange feel of out hard, struggle through the windy section, then rampage the last bit.

Anyway,

1.12 average. 

With 5k zone being around 1.18, 3k 1.15/1.16, 1.12 probably isn't a bad progression.

Clearly, 200s will always come out faster than the zone aiming for, but 400s at 1.12 is decent. Expecr we could have averaged 1.11 if the wind had been more sensible.

Fingers crossed for still conditions when i attempt 5x400 at 800 pace in a couple of weeks!

• Options
    RicFRicF ✭✭✭

Good to knock 5 minutes off a 25 mile TT Cortina. Adds up to a fair distance. Well done.

All that remains of my TT bike is a frame and a bit of aero bar.

SG, great session. My records show that a week after doing a very similar set, I went sub 34 minutes for 10k.

Actually did 12 x 400m: 70,72,72,73,72,71 (200m recovery),71,71,72,72,73,70 (400m recovery) So an average of 72 seconds.

And under ideal (still) conditions.

Garden project nearly finished so looking at the running shoes again. I've to recover first from the eight hour stint I put in yesterday.

The result below.

/members/images/493151/Gallery/PatioFinCopy.jpg

There we go.

A few aches but only 25% of the quoted price.

🙂

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Thanks Ric, nice skillz with the gardening, you're wasted on the every day trimmings and bog standard stuff i think.

It is a funny time in the running. Reps are coming out faster than ever, despite the sessions being longer per intensity than ever.

I'm wondering if it's a case that the start stop nature suits, in a way that tempo/racing may not.
    Or it could just be that I am locked in anxiety and upon trying a parkrun will find that level of effort is fine too.
    Will finish this little set of sessions first, quite enjoyable, 6x300 at 800 pace next!

• Options
    The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

Nice reps. Not surprised the wind was an issue - I had a fallen tree on the way to the station this morning, then the train was delayed due to another one on the rail line.

Ric - that's crazy image

• Options

SG, what are you pace bands? Things look a bit odd to me. If you are doing 75 for 3k then that is 9:22.5 for 3k and so 1,500 should be closer to 71 than 72 and your 800 pace should be at about 65/66 per lap. Nice session anyway, trust it was just wind and not wind and rain.

Lunchtime handicap, just over 5k in the pouring rain chasing people who had somehow managed to sneak a couple of minutes handicap advantage over me even though a few months ago we were head to head.  Quite pleased with splits of 6:27, 6:29 and 6:26 with the "dash to the line" at the end at 6:14 pace.

May all done now, 179.14 miles at an average pace of 7:36 so the miles down from the 200+ a month when marathon training but the speed up from 7.5x and 8.0x minutes a mile. I have now done 1046 miles so far in 2016 and my best May total was 1050 in 2014 so will see if I can stay in that mould and hit 2,300 again.

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    PhilipMJones wrote (see)

SG, what are you pace bands? Things look a bit odd to me. If you are doing 75 for 3k then that is 9:22.5 for 3k and so 1,500 should be closer to 71 than 72 and your 800 pace should be at about 65/66 per lap. Nice session anyway, trust it was just wind and not wind and rain.

You know that is 1 second difference don't you, and wind affected image