Options

Moraghan Training - Stevie G

Comments

• Options
    Reg WandReg Wand ✭✭✭

My May saw just 69.9 miles of running image

Nice session SG, seems quicker than anything I can remember you doing since I've been on here.

I drove to Oxford today and had to do an emergency stop due to a tree in the road.

No running, 20 miles on the bike and a swim though.

Good consistency after the marathon, Phil.

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

But to analyse deeper, the premise of this plan was that a pal gave me the schedule 6 years ago, and having not raced or really done proper sessions for ages, I didn't really have a clue what was doable. Especially with these sessions being higher volume than I'd done before at each intensity.

The 5k/3k/1500/800 breakdown was 82/78/74/70, and I looked at 82, which would still be 17.08 for 5k (I've only beaten/matched that 3 times when in frequent racing and on form)

• Quickly dawned that from both the 8x600, and 6x800 sessions, that 1.17/1.18 was more what we were looking at for that zone (both sessions also had 2x400, and 2x200 lumped on, which came out a fair chunk faster)

• 12x400 and 8x600 for 3k came out 1.15 lapping. (Should that be 1.14, or was the first zone "too fast", who knows at this stage! But then I've never averaged a set of 400s as quick as 1.15 before, let alone 12 back to back, and still off 1min, it's not down to extra recovery.

• 1500 zone, 16x200 came out 34 average. Clearly too fast for the "target", but 200s do seem hard to lock to a zone. Then 8x400 a bit wind affected in 1.12av. (I do wonder if 1.11s were very possible with the wind behaving) 6x600 in a couple of weeks best be still!

• 800 zone next. 10x200 came out 33s, now that would fit the take 4secs off, 66/67ish set up. But will I be able to keep that for 300/400s. Do get 2-3mins as a recovery rather than 90secs, so we will see.

So to conclude this waffle, we could be looking at 78,75,71-72,66-67

I do wonder if those original 4 sec bands are a little optimistic, especially as you increase the rep length, but sort of on plan so far...

either way, if I was race confident, and in a different head space, i'd fancy some 5k racing right now.

(But erm..I don't, so it's back on with the sessions to get fresh confidence!)

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Reg Wand wrote (see)

My May saw just 69.9 miles of running image

Nice session SG, seems quicker than anything I can remember you doing since I've been on here.

I drove to Oxford today and had to do an emergency stop due to a tree in the road.

No running, 20 miles on the bike and a swim though.

Good consistency after the marathon, Phil.

You've nailed it spot on with that. Might have done one 1.12 400 before in a session in this thread's 6 year history, but averaging it over 8 reps is pretty unheard of. If Chingo was still here he'd be proud, as we had many debates over pace of reps, me doing them more to 5k zone, and him more of the nailing them variety.

It sort of feels like a breakthrough of sorts over these weeks of this schedule, but in a massively insecure sort of way. I wonder if there's a future in just sacking off the dreaded tempo, and just doing 2 track sessions each week.

And not just cos I've furnished the man with £80 for a year's track membership!

Good to hear you didn't have any scrapes with that tree. You must be well through some of your 9 lives! Low mileage base running wise. Presume you've topped it up with a lot of the other stuff.

• Options
    Stevie G wrote (see)

You know that is 1 second difference don't you, and wind affected image

I factored the wind in, I am a fluids guy after allimage

• Options
    The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

Not sure you want to put it quite like that Philip....

5k with jogging club tonight.  As the weather was slightly bad, it was just me and a guy who is reasonably quick, but was nursing a dodgy hamstring together with cuts and bruises and a possible cracked rib from an MTB accident last weekend. Needless to say, it was both slow and low volume - just what I needed image

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Sounds a crock of pony Bus image

But with weather like this, 3 of my running gang in Bury until 2pm, another with a hospital appointment until the afternoon, others fannying around with "busy" talk, or needing to take taxis home at 5pm, then erm...it will look an impressive turnout compared to how mine will probably be tomorrow!

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

8 at 6.57 today, that's it for the day.

No run club after work, the 2 who could make it now suddenly can't, both dentist excuses...and i don't have the botherment to try and stir up enough from the FB group, so erm...that's that for another week.
    I do find my enthuiasm for this comes and goes...trick is to try not to make a  negative big decision when a let down occurs...just ride it out, and try again next week!

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

quiet on here, so let me see if anyone has experienced this weird feeling I had post run today.

Imagine a sort of feeling you get if you've looked at the sun by accident, sort of things look a little lighter than they should do, but not blurry, and not dizzy, just a bit too light, and also seemingly from the side too.

Had this about twice over a couple of months. And it was quickly seen off by eating some carbs and drinking a sugary drink.
    Wonder if it was a temporary lack of fuel/low blood sugar. As if it was a migraine, it'd surely be one of the lightest ones ever, as no headache, pain, nausea, dizziness etc.

Anyone had anything similar? Took about 10mins from start to end, including 5mins of me eating/drinking it away image

If I recall correctly, these have come on after my medium long run a couple of times, where perhaps I've taken a bit of time refuelling with carbs (although bananas and tea had come on board!)

• Options
    RicFRicF ✭✭✭

Low blood sugar SG.

Shut your eyes and you'll see two patches like you've looked at a light bulb then shut your eyes.

Also, I reckon you could do 33 minutes for a 10k.

🙂

• Options

I think SG has been arc welding.

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Will take this as a warning to get the carbs on board much earlier when it's a single day work run in future.

Lolza Iron, gave me horrible memories of school CDT there. Hated those days, every day was a battle to get to the end of. It's little wonder I turned to what can be the least sociable of all the sports, and hate mixing with people image

ps ta Ric for the confidence boost. How mad would that be, after my years in, and mostly after my last year to not only race again, but that successfully! It is a crazy sport though!

• Options

Evenin'

SG if I'm training in the evening then I'd normally have something about 5pm latest - peanut butter on toast or some such thing. Just to top up for later.

I enjoyed CDT despite not being very good at it. We did something similar at Uni but by then you drew what you wanted on a PC and the finished product fell out of a machine in the room next-door.

• Options
    DeanR7DeanR7 ✭✭✭

Speedy session the other day SG 

i was crap at CDT.  

My session tonight was 2*(400 & 200). Recovery was 60s between the 4&200 and 8 mins between the set.  Plan was 800 pace.  They came out (60,28,60,28). Was suprised how the 400s felt. As I only started speed work last Thursday and it didn't feel too monsterous.  Hopefully a positive sign of things to come once I have another month of speed work under my belt.

• Options
    SG- Hit by an attack of 'the blobs' then! Had them loads of times, a couple of times after races and mainly these days in the morning if I have to leg it with my rucksack and my breakfast hadn't filtered through yet. Just have to slow down and it passes.

Decent track session there Dean, just had a look at the sorry state of the V40 1500 run down so far, need to make some inroads in that!

Busy few days, did the Bupa 10,000 on Monday morning. Got held up a bit at the start, thought I would try and stick to 3.15's and it worked quite well going through halfway at 16.15. Didn't feel quite as good as last year, but hit 8k slightly quicker than last year at 25.59. Sadly the last 2k hit me a little and ended up with 32.37. Happy with my 2nd best 10k time and nice little step up from the track 10,000 at Highgate. Loads of beer after, good day out.

Training Tuesday night, only 3 x 1 mile as I was racing the night after.. Came out as 5.12, 5.06, 5.00 with about 80 secs. Had eastern vets at Bedford weds night, 1500m in the bloody wind and drizzle. Managed to get off the line first, gamely trying to get under 1.10's! Got to the bell at 3.10 and the last last 'felt' swift, but ended up with 4.20.1. Felt quite good, so hoping for a bit better at Eastbourne in the SAL Saturday week.

Down in Poole visiting the folks, so day off yesterday and long run today. Think Poole parkrun sat morning and some 200m reps. Even saw the sun yesterday! Woo Ho!!!
  • Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

marvellous speeds Dean, must feel like you've barely done a session when you leave though!

Simon, blobs is it? Nice terminology image  Though i can't take your slow it down tip, as i'm generally just sat about if it happens

Big 10k time there, especially if it's still a little long like I and a local guy who trains an elite runner reckon... When I did it, i came out same "average pace" as my 34.30, but had about a min extra on the clock! Higher than your usual variance i reckon. Or ,maybe i take a long line!

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Ok, so for starters, I'm glad to be able to post this... as standing on a traffic island this morn opposite the track, some complete moron tried to overtake a guy at warp speed, possibly not realising the road narrows with the traffic island.

Huge bang as he managed to "Only" clip the island, then ended up still at huge speed, on the othe side of the road! Luckily with the only car currently there a good 100metres down the road, and able to slow down.

I just stood there, expecting to see a tonne of wreckage in the road, but I suppose at that speed, even a skim/clip will sound loud.
    Walked away wondering if i was lucky to not get smashed myself, but maybe Phil has some analysis on whether a full on hit into a traffic island curb would stop a car at that speed, change the direction, or just monster over all in its way.

Anyway....after that, fancied a nice 6x300, off 2mins at 800.

Took a few jogs round the track to try and work out where the 300m line would be, whether i started at 0, or at 200m, and settled on what i though the line was. Ruled one out, as i looked at where the 100m straight was, and it sort of measured up.

Realised 3 reps in, the line should have been the one 5-6metres further on, and what I was actually on was some bloody hurdles line... 
    From stop afterwards, i ran the distance in 1.8secs, so at 800, should be fine to count as 1sec)

So....

48 (adjusted to 49)
    48 (adjusted to 49)
    49 (adjusted to 50)

I had picked the 300 that didn't have the wind on, but by rep 6 a bit of wind and a  bit of tired legs kicked in.
    Otherwise 50 will do as an average. which would be mid 66s for 400 which will do

• Options
    Reg WandReg Wand ✭✭✭

So SG is on the blob.

Nice work SC, impressive 10k. Dean, very quick session, I assume you do quite a bit more than that either side of those intervals, like drills warm ups etc?

If i'm not too busy I hope to do 5  * 1k at lunch. I am trying to get to 1 long run, 2 sessions (1 track 1 tempo/hills) and an easy general run for the week to total around 35 miles. That's with circa 150-200 miles of cycling and hopefully 4 swim sessions if I can force myself. I reckon that's about 15 hrs a week. I could run well over 100 miles a week with that time.

• Options

I clipped a curb in a Swiss road tunnel (hire car so didn't matter). That threw me across the other side of the road.  It could have been down to me realising it was going to happen and overcompensating in the opposite direction.

Consider yourself lucky though. Buy a lottery ticket.

• Options
    Reg WandReg Wand ✭✭✭

I was lucky this morning, nothing dangerous happened and I got a free belvita biscuit from a promo dolly bird.

I won't be buying a lottery ticket though, there's only so much good fortune a guy can have in one day.

• Options
    The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

Yeah - you don't want to milk it!

Glad you are still with us SG! Similar thing happened to me on that island outside the entrance to Hughenden Manor. Woman driver, partly blinded by the sun drove into the right turn lane, but didn't see the island, completely wiping it out and leaving her car stranded on top. I'd crossed about 5 seconds before....

Nice sesh BTW. Yours too Dean - impressive pace! 

Good work on the 10k Simon - very impressive time, and despite the slight fade, still a good split.

Day off yesterday as legs were feeling mashed. 7.7M hill and fartlek session this morning by way of punishment. First sub 8mM  hilly off-road for a while with a 7:45 average.

I still can't decide now whether to do the usual LSR on Sunday or take it easy and do the Sri Chimnoy 5k Monday evening. I'm sure I used to be decisive, but not sure whether I am any more....

• Options
    Stevie G wrote (see)
    Lolza Iron, gave me horrible memories of school CDT there.

Had to look up CDT, apparently it is Craft Design and Technology. When I was at school we had metal work (filing a lump of metal with a hand file until it was flat) and woodwork (which varied from reducing a piece of wood to sawdust to making some quite nice pieces of furniture). We also had cookery and sewing.

Nothing short of a solid wall will stop a car driven at speed. Once it is going, you can take away the wheels and pretty much anything else and it will just carry on rolling and bouncing in the same general direction as before. Nowadays, all safety devices are designed to control the car in motion and not stop it suddenly.

I have been inside a car as a passenger that lost it and we did a few decent rolls down the road before coming to a stop upside down.

Having a few easy days as I have a 4 mile race Sunday. At least that is the plan, Strava says I did a PB on a segment I do most weeks: that is what you get when letting off steam after a frustrating meeting.

• Options
    Reg WandReg Wand ✭✭✭

I didn't do CDT, I don't think we had it, we had woodwork in the junior school, our teacher, Captain Caveman was his name, had no thumbs thanks to his circular saw.

It was a good example to us all as to the importance of safety.

• Options
    DeanR7DeanR7 ✭✭✭

nice mile reps simon.  agree about the current v40 rnakings.  its a bit sparse at the moment...probably because we havent had a proper go yet image

nice 300s SG.  the 300 line is the most common to make mistakes from. 

you are right about time spent on reps last night.  i only ran for 3mins last night the remianing hour was either warm up, cool down or recovery.

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Good turnover on here today.

And those 300s are probably the only one you could get wrong, as most stuff is 200 multiples. Never done anything "odd" outside of a 300.

I hope the guy today learnt his lesson. I think he was in control, but at that speed, and doing such a stupid overtake got caught out. I always wondered what clipping one of those islands would do, and now I know! 

I guess the lack of any car parts littering the road, shows it was a fairly minor clip, just at that speed the noise was huge!

Bus - that day you dropped me off, there was some big accident down the main road, no wonder it was so backed up!

And that incident you mention was probably a lot more luck for you! As that driver was clearly massively out of control.
    It's funny how infrequently we give a moment's thought to some of these things. I drove up a 60 zone road straight after, and for one thing 40 is plenty on most bits on it, but it wouldn't take much for someone the other side to lose control and or pile into you!

• Options
    literatinliteratin ✭✭✭

Yeah, but what was your average pace for the whole session, Dean?image

I was crap at CDT. Imagine my relief when I realised I could scam the GCSE options system by somehow getting away with doing Economics as my 'technology' choice. It was that or technical drawing.

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

I went to a school that was supposedly one of the best in the country for CDT, high profile department blah blah blah.

So you can imagine their delight when I binned off the 3 separate subjects they ran at the first possible chance at GCSE and weasled off into Art instead.

I was no Art man either, but think I blagged a B.
    But then Art for GCSE was a funny one that you could get a pretty good grade simply by doing a tonne of work!

• Options
    literatinliteratin ✭✭✭

I did very little work for art GCSE, but luckily there wasn't much space available at my school for each pupil to display their work for the examiners, so I totally got away with it (and got an A* image)

• Options
    Stevie G wrote (see)
    I was no Art man either, but think I blagged a B.

But then Art for GCSE was a funny one that you could get a pretty good grade simply by doing a tonne of work!

I got a D for art.

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

you don't get A* without some semblance of talent, but you can get a B image

• Options
    Reg WandReg Wand ✭✭✭

I asked about art but my art teacher said I was rubbish and that I shouldn't do it. The sub text was she didn't want an annoying little prick like me in her class.

They didn't have A* in my day, as far as I was concerned A's were just a myth as well.

I was a master of just doing enough  to pass stuff and not get expelled, until....

Enough jabber about stuff that doesn't matter now and onto my 5 x 1000m which still doesn't really matter but was probably a B+.

3:21, 3:18, 3:19, 3:22. 3:20 which if you reorder would be a straight. Also they add up to exactly 100 making the 3:20 average easy even for someone who did the intermediate maths GCSE paper. I will try and make it a Fibonacci sequence next time.