Options

Moraghan Training - Stevie G

Comments

• Options
    Reg WandReg Wand ✭✭✭

Yes I enjoyed that 1500m. The BBC should focus more on these up and coming stars and drop that stupid Mo countdown. I'm looking forward to the heptathlon. Olympics should be good.

• Options
    DeanR7DeanR7 ✭✭✭

need a proper read back but some good stuff going on

Laura muir race was superb (a highlight along with the hurdle WR)....then she ruins it by saying she wont race that way in Rio, as it will be tactical.  so will sit in.  IMO she has a shot if she goes eyeballs out again but she will lack the killer sprint if she sits in and will miss the medals. 

the BBC should be educating the public on our great runners who arent global stars yet...more time on that, less denise lewis babbling on.

Saw Jonny D win his BMC 1500 last tuesday (just before i stank the track out with my race) ...from the front in 3.45 ish i think.  looked v strong

Simon...might see you in watford this week

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Good luck at Watford chaps.

Joints on left side feels pretty tight today. Occasionally get tight hip and repetitive strain in the left wrist (mouse use at laptop), but today both are much more noticeable , as well as toes(!) and outer knee, which is usually a "chain" reaction from elsewhere

Can only imagine it's related to sitting for hours on Sat. Hopefully it goes as quick as it arrived!

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

good old stretch and sleep and just a slightly tight hip today.

So went for one of 5k paced sessions.

8x600 off 90secs, 2x400, 60secs, 2x200

Set 1.18 as the 600s lap pace (1.57), and all to plan, not in order, summary as below

1.53x2
    1.54x1
    1.55x2
    1.56x3

400s in 1.15
    200s 34/35

Nice. Did forget this sort of session takes more time than the straight 200/400s, so had a rush to work after!

• Options
    CC82CC82 ✭✭✭

Nice reps there SG.

Life continues to conspire against my running...  Didn't have time to get out at all over the weekend due to baby not sleeping and various other commitments.

Then yesterday morning struck down with a stomach bug.  Nightmare.  Haven't felt that ill for some time.  Thankfully, it all settled down by last night and I'm feeling gradually more human.  I probably won't run the rest of this week though.  I was planning an assault on parkrun this weekend too.  That will just have to wait I suppose...

And Laura Muir's 1500m was fantastic.  I hope she goes out hard at Rio.  Mo's 5000m run was pretty damn good too.  Sent a pretty strong message out.  He's surely got to be on for the double again.

• Options

Decent reps there SG - Hope you feel better soon CC82.

Dean - what brings you all the way to Watford for a 1500? nothing else available for a bit? Apparently a few of the Herne Hill lot are coming up from London too so that should be good.

Had a massage last night, gentle jog to work today..nothing going on..

• Options
    CC82CC82 ✭✭✭

Feeling much better now.  I'll probably head out for a jog at lunchtime image

It's actually sunny.

• Options
    CC82 wrote (see)

Feeling much better now.  I'll probably head out for a jog at lunchtime image

It's actually sunny.

Enjoy it. It is damp and windy here. Intervals yesterday evening so today is an easy 5mi run.

• Options

Good news CC82...Weather looks great for tonight - 18 degrees, wind 8 mph. Watched Laura Muir's win again to get me going.

Need some 'Gareth Cheeseman' style motivation for tonight. Gareth! You're a Tiger! 'Raaar'. Bit excited which means I'm bound to have a stinker image

• Options
    The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

Just don't be shit Simon image

Track Wednesday today. Legs felt terrible and nearly gave up before I'd got half a mile, but persevered 9rightly or wrongly...) with an easy pyramid session of 200, 400, 600, 800, 600, 400, 200 , all foo 200m jog (except the 800, as I was retching for a bit!). Pace wasn't spectacular, but given it was windy and very humid, and how my legs felt, it wasn't too bad  - 40, 1:23, 2:03, 2:51, 2:05, 1:23, 37

There was a guy there doing sprints. Seems like an awful lot of recovery time compared to actual effort involved. He definitely looked the part though!

• Options

Turns out it's alright out there.

For a 9m/mi easy jog I struggled to keep the lid on it and I feel really quite loose now.
    Amazing what speedwork can do the day after.

• Options
    PeteMPeteM ✭✭✭
    Finally got the results from my first 1 miler on Monday as part of a 3x1 mile relay at Battersea. Was on leg 1 and false start caused me to stop and never restart my watch so no idea of pace. Just tried to keep up with those around me and more or less did. Ended up 5'20 which I was very pleased with. Team only just top quartile despite the others doing 5'13 and 5'33. Plenty of guys sub 5 in what was a real cavalry charge. Race was really short but felt harder than just about any other and led to me coughing most of the eve after. Is that normal with this short and frantic stuff?
  • Options
    RicFRicF ✭✭✭

I've been trying out the new bike myself.

I admit to be slightly disappointed at how much slower I've become since my best year of 2005.

Yesterday I cycled a route I used to use as a test bed, and noted how at every split I was down.

In the end I took 77:30 where my best was a shade over 64 minutes.

However, it's hardly surprising. I'm about a minute a mile slower running, so 30 seconds a mile on the bike is about the same.

On the upside,  I ran today for more than two miles for the first time in nearly four months, with no problems at all. The cycling has helped that side of things.

🙂

• Options
    DeanR7DeanR7 ✭✭✭

Ric Good to see you starting back with running

sg consistanr session the other day.  Looks good

pete - congrats with the mile.  You should find a track mile and go for it.

as Simon says above the conditions for Watford open was perfect...so as I sat in my office in Cheshire I made the call at 2pm to change all my meetings to calls so I could keep working from the car and head down for the 3hr journey to Watford.   Get there and spot a few familiar faces...one being mr Simon Coombes.   A quick chat then found out that les, Simon and myself were in the same race at about 9.30 pm.  We are 3 of the top 4 v40 1500 uk rankings so the race took on another dimension.  It was a proper race as well as a time trial.   Gun goes and I get to the front and it felt too fast so I ease off a bit which was a mistake as we went through 400 in 66/67.  Should have been 64/65.  A couple of youngsters went past so I try and go with them.  one opens up a 5m lead but we reel him in.  Through 800 in 2.12.  Piss!  I was working hard and was 2 secs down on the minimum target.  Another couple of youngsters come past so I work hard to go with.  I know I have to put in a big 3rd lap in to get back on target and fear Simon and les on my shoulder ready to pounce.  I'm actually feeling good, I'm working hard but not filling with lactic.  Through the bell on the shoulder of the leader in 3.00  So I had found the 2 secs and back on target.  The race come to life with the odd youngster trying to get past but me responding.   Then les newell, who made the world v40 1500 final last yr, flys past at 200 to go. He looks strong, I try to respond and manage to not let his lead grow beyond 3 or 4m.  I go to make my move and a young 'un comes alongside and boxes me in......balls to that.  I give him a decent nudge to keep me in attack position then cut in front of him so I can concentrate on just catch les in the sprint.  I take off and am alongside with 80 to go and burst past into the lead.  On the other side a youngster goes side by side to the line in a sprint finish but I beat him.  A win, a proper race and a big SB in 4.04.12.   so it was defn worth the long drive.   Was even better that it was a direct race against top chaps in Simon and les who on another day either could have won it.  

• Options
    Mornin! it's a bit difficult to do my report on last nights 1500m at Watford without treading on Dean's toes so to speak (good chance I had no chance of doing that in the race!!). I won't say his time at least.

So, I'm lined up towards the inside, hoping to make a good getaway. Gun goes and I see Dean disappear into the lead. Balls, that's where I wanted to be. For a fast race I have to chop my stride and I'm out in lane 3 round the top bend, staying there for quite a lot if the race. 400 in 66/67, shit! Already too slow, wanted 65. Anyway, the field is chaotic as ever, lots of clipping and chopping and changing and slowing and surging, sadly not ideal for me tbh. 800m in about 2.14/2.15 and I try to put some effort in to the bell, which we get to in 3.01/3.02 and I can see Dean only 4-5 metres ahead. BUT I can feel the last 300 has taken its toll.

So with 200 to go, the legs have gone but I struggle in with others flying past to a 4.09.1. A seasons best, but an opportunity missed. Slide down to 5th on PO10 but it was nice to have a chat with the other 3 now making up the top5 minus Whiteman, with another guy doing 4.08 in the race before. So bit deflated, but trying to grab some crumbs of comfort I trod water for the last 200 and raced most of it in lane 2/3 and got. a SB.

So onto Stevenage relays tonight. More fun!!

Edit. Didn't see Dean's race report when I started typing!!
  • Options

Dean you kept me on the edge of my seat there. Well done to the both of you on your SBs. Are there many falls in races like this? It seems with all the pushing and jostling in a close space that it'd be easy to go over.

• Options
    Didn't see anyone go over last night, lots of clips though talking to people after.
  • Options
    DeanR7DeanR7 ✭✭✭

i saw a faller in the race 2 before us.  yes but normally its all clipping heals or elbows/pushes in the back

• Options

Hell of a race there Dean, but in focus it was race 17 out of 19. Any idea if it would have been different if you went in race 18 and was mid-pack and not the leader?

I note one Andy Baddeley was in the first race of the night and did 7:58 for 3000m: would have been worth going down to see that if it was made more widely known.

• Options
    DeanR7DeanR7 ✭✭✭

Cheers philip, I arrived in time for baddeley race.  He was locked in a race the whole way. Someone on his shoulder the whole way.  Was a great watch.    next time I would go for the faster race to be dragged round.  But to get into the faster race you had to put 3.57 or faster down.  So I better understand the Watford rules now image.  But it was also good to go head to head with les and Simon.  My next race will be a bmc so I expect to be hanging off the back.

• Options

Is Baddeley back on form now? Comparing previous times mentioned here 7:58 sounds pretty speedy.

10mi bike TT PB tonight. Took 36s off my previous PB. image

• Options
    DeanR7DeanR7 ✭✭✭

Baddeley ran sub 4 mile on sat too.  He is running well...but maybe not enough to get to major champs now

• Options

Sub-4 used to be a world record, now you don't even get an England vest. I blame Cameron.

• Options
    PhilipMJones wrote (see)

Sub-4 used to be a world record, now you don't even get an England vest. I blame Cameron.

Nothing to do with Cameron. It's the fault of the older Brexit typesimage *retreats*

• Options
    DeanR7DeanR7 ✭✭✭

Defn brexit voters...or Donald trump image

for those that like this sort of thing.... Video of Simon and my race last night.   I'm the chap in white who gets a fast start.....Simon is in the red and black striped vest like Dennis the menace.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=648SF0mL2iE&sns=em

And for the real enthusiasts here is baddeleys 3000

https://youtu.be/q07E61JYEek

• Options
    Cheers for the vid. Feel a bit better now that if I had been on the inside a bit more I would have done a couple of seconds quicker. And I actually started treading water in about the last 120m, closer than I thought around the top bend..until being blasted out of the water in the run in!

Tonight did about 9.09 for an undulating 3k relay course at Stevenage, so feeling more positive. Shame we were 4th, so no bling!!

Edit....great PB Cortina!
  • Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

big pimpin Irono.

And a thread faceoff for Dean and Simon. I used to do those, just way slower. Sounds a good result for both though, and I bet you were both fresh as a daisy about 10mins later.

Simon, equally nice late night post just gone

Sub 4 mile? Cripes. Wonder what the breathing is like on that!

Got in the habit recently of just deciding i'll do track Tue n Fri, but deciding when  wake what I fancy, be it one of the 12 sessions of my schedule, or like today, a freestyled one.

Went with a pyramid sesh which were very rare in the Moz days.
    5k of reps, so 200,400,600,800,1000 and down again

Didn't get hung up with any targets, so just ran as it came, with only pre set idea, that i'd take 1min recovery around the 200/400s and 90secs the rest.

Not entirely sure if you're aiming for the same on way down as up, or quicker, but pretty much covered the latter anyway. Did take 8secs too long recovery by accident before the 2.34, but not sure that influenced it. Just that my first 800 was a bit casual, that sort of "i can go however i like and still smack it" and then realising you can't, and a good go for the second one.

Saw Big Trev and Sam up there when I was nearing/just finishing. They're such pros, they didn't even wave or speak. That or they hate me image

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Footy watching season starts soon, so what might work well, is when i'm off to an away game, and needing to be up fairly early anyway, i might get a parkrun in.

Get a few of those in close together, and then judge whether a 5miler is doable/beneficial. Clearly i'd get round, and no doubt go sub 30 etc, but still just need to convince myself a bit as its exceptionally easy to fall out of the mode.

• Options
    The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

Probably just didn't recognise you anymore SG image. reps look pretty good to me (especially comparing them to my own paltry pyramid on Wednesday!)

Iron - nice TT. Well done on the PB image

Good work you 1500m boys, both on the racing and the reports! Bloody good work on the win too Dean.

Not much happening run wise with me. Daughter's birthday yesterday so work and night out to London scuppered any running - just as well probably. Very late night meant no early bike ride to work today either.  Just going to head out for a very easy 4/5 in a minute. Hopefully the rain will stop - bit wet here for a day forecast to be dry!

Might be parkrunning tomorrow - we'll see.

• Options

Cheers all. Most importantly I broke 23 minutes.

I did a 123454321 pyramid Tuesday, with equal recovery. Hard on the way up, allegedly easier on the way down. image

Easy 9miler tonight.

Nice vid Dean.