Options

Moraghan Training - Stevie G

Comments

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Nice one Reggy.

Simon, im the least hi tech guy of all time, i'll have what was the latest about 5 years ago...

I am wearing that exact model of watch now!! It's fine for timing stuff. And i always presumed the stopwatch would cover any Garmin failure.

Then i got  to the track the other day, strap snapped off the 405, and realised one tiny flaw.

There's no recall function on splits taken!

• Options

Can't you just remember them?

(edit: that's what I do, if I think it matters, as I don't bother taking my own and just let someone call them out for me).

• Options
    Reg WandReg Wand ✭✭✭

Luddites.

I love my Garmin, it's my favourite material thing. I guess we all get attached to stuff whether it be an old school watch or an overly complex training spreadsheet.

I like to embrace technology but I could do without the stupid stuff like a VO2 max predictor and recovery advisor.

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Lit, the idea of doing reps without taking the splits or having the ability to review them seems to defeat the point to me! But each to their own!

And not always the easiest to remember multiple splits. I'm sure a few on here have said thye lose count mid session, let alone remembering them!

• Options

Well, if someone calls them out to you while you are doing them, then you can tell if you are being consistent or not within the session. And if you do them, then you have got the training stimulus whether or not you write them down afterwards.

I do quite easily lose count of how many reps I have done, but esp if they are all the same distance, I don't lose track of whether they were consistently paced or whether the rep times were all over the place.

• Options
    The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

Nice PMJ, nice image

tightwaddery I like Mr G, but not an abuse of parking bays....image

I like my Garmin and oddly feel it frees me up as I used to repeat routes just to save having to measure new ones on a map! My 310xt is years old, but I still feel like I am a bloody beta tester when it comes to Garmin's continual (and shite) software updates (I'm with Iron!). 

2 x 5.5xc today. All OK and legs seem to be returning to some semblance of normality at last.

Hoping to head off for a family camping trip tomorrow if I can get my work finished. Might try to persuade the Mrs to go to Purbeck cos then I can squeeze in a Sneaky Poole parkrun image

• Options

Garmin Forerunner 10 GPS Running Watch is £70 on amazon. If you want a watch to record where you ran and how fast this does that, and if you want splits etc it does that too.

Manual is here: http://static.garmincdn.com/pumac/Forerunner_10_QSM_EN.pdf

• Options
    Reg WandReg Wand ✭✭✭

I like to be able to set up intervals and other sessions on mine. The other thing I like is the auto upload, no need to plug stupid USB sticks in.

Had a good day today, 18 miles on the bike commuting and a lunch swim, topped off with a 10k tempo run.

Started with a progression warm up so I ended up doing 6.6 miles but miles 2 to 6 came out at 5:58, 5:44,5:48,5:55 & 5:58. The bits at the end were 6:08 pace but it was getting pretty windy and uphill, plus I was tired.

Pretty much 37 dead for the 10k tempo bit and that included some warm up. I am quite satisfied with that.

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Very tidy stretch that Reg.

And i was gonna say, very good work Dachs, but he hasn't posted yet, so erm,hold that thought.

ps Bus, no misuse of space here, it was a legitimate 1hour free space job image

Have a good hol, whatever number we're up to now image

6miles felt nice today, at one stage I saw what i thought what a hottie from work drive past in her mini, so for some reason i found myself gently upping the pace to catch up. Clocked it at 5.50 pace before remembering this was meant to be a standard easy day.
    Hip has eased down,so happy days.

• Options
    Reg WandReg Wand ✭✭✭

That is impressive.

In hindsight I wish I had been at Yateley last night, I reckon a PB would have been on the cards. I was only 90 seconds adrift in a tempo effort last night

SG - I never look tired when I pass a pretty girl.

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Personally speaking Reg it was always after a block of progressive tempos where I knew i was ready to crack some good races. I'd say you must be in the mixer right now.

• Options
    PeteMPeteM ✭✭✭

Andrew, If you want to test your race speed there is a 10k at Dinton Pastures next Thursday (7pm, run by Barnes Fitness but not UKA) and a 5k at Battersea next Monday (also 7pm, further afield but is UKA and last of their evening ones for this year). Both have entry on the night options and are decent and flat races and on my 'possibles' list at the moment.

• Options
    Reg WandReg Wand ✭✭✭

Thanks, Pete.

I already have a 5k PB this year so it's 10k I am after to complete the set for the year (5k, 10k, HM & Mara).

Not sure about Dinton due to the surface but it is nice and close.

• Options

Solid running Reg.

I also like to set up interval sessions and such. All I have to do is follow the beeps that way.

PeteM wrote (see)

Andrew, If you want to test your race speed there is a 10k at Dinton Pastures next Thursday (7pm, run by Barnes Fitness but not UKA) and a 5k at Battersea next Monday (also 7pm, further afield but is UKA and last of their evening ones for this year). Both have entry on the night options and are decent and flat races and on my 'possibles' list at the moment.

Dinton is 10km and the surface is pretty slow, for me at least.

Did someone say Bus was on holiday again?

• Options
    DachsDachs ✭✭✭

Bus, do you not decide where you're going on holiday until the day before?  That would drive me mental.

Nice tempo effort there AG, agree that a PB is somewhere on the horizon.  Pete mentions Battersea Park - they do some 10K races on a very flat fast course, but they are super early on a Saturday morning.  Toying with the idea of having a crack at one.

SG, let's hope the "hottie" from work doesn't browse this...

So, race 3 of the Yateley series last night, and one that I'd earmarked for a crack at this year's first sub-33.  Fastest I've done in nine races on this course is 33:10 last month.  Was ready to give up that aim when I saw the hideous wind yesterday, but Yateley seems less affected than some other places as there's some decent shelter for much of the route.  Decided to try to hit the pace anyway and see what comes out.

I'm usually a bag of nerves before races, but for some reason last night I felt relaxed, confident and up for it.

I spotted a serious-looking woman dressed in full sponsored gear on the start line, which made me a little worried that I would be behind the first lady.  Gun goes, and as usual my clubmate starts like a madman, although less of a madman than he did last month, and sets out at 32 pace (PB: mid 34).  This is handy for me for a bit as it helps pace me, but I pass him at about 600m and into clear blue air in the lead.  Slight worry when he comes back onto my shoulder just after the first km, but I subtly shift up a gear and he falls off again.  I now have a comfortable lead already, and I'm starting to think it's going to be an easy win.

Suddenly, at 2 km, someone comes up onto my shoulder, this time a speedy Aldershot type who has come from nowhere, and I realise this may be more of a fight than I thought a couple of minutes ago.  He stays there right through to about 4k, then overtakes and with disturbing ease builds a lead of 30-40 metres.  I decide not to chase, as I'm still on easily sub 33 pace, and if this guy can run away from that pace so easily, he must be pretty handy.  Mentally I give up on the win and concentrate on the pace.

The pace is still quick.  Probably too quick.  I'm through 5k in 16:14.  Not only is that sub 33 pace, it's PB pace, which was not the plan at all.  Well, I'm committed now, so might as well try to see it through.

About 5.5km is where you turn into a long 2km stretch into the wind direction, but wonder of wonders the wind, whilst still noticeable, seems to have dropped off a fair bit.  Hooray!

After going through 7 km, still well on target for sub 33, I notice that the gap to first has unexpectedly reduced a bit.  Now is the time to put the chase on!  By 7.5km I am past, and by 8k (26:05 ish) I have my own gap.  Try to summon everything I have for the penultimate kilometre, reasoning that the final one will look after itself, and this gives me a decent gap, though I refuse to look back and check.  Last km is probably the slowest of the race as I pay for that first half, but the win and sub-33 are in the bag.  Cross the line in 32:50 with a 10-second gap to 2nd.

I've done this race a lot now, and usually run pretty well here, so I can use it as a pretty good yardstick of where I am.  32:50 here is really pleasing, 20 seconds faster than my previous best on this mildly undulating course.  I reckon it's probably 15 seconds slower than a proper quick course (some people think it's slower than that), so that puts me in potential PB shape.  Might be time to start looking for a race to test that on

• Options
    DachsDachs ✭✭✭

Go for a pint afterwards, which is a bad idea on an empty stomach immediately post race.  Bog standard stuff for Simon, but not something I can cope with.

Running: going very well.

Drinking: big improvement needed.

• Options

Well done Dachs. I'm quite good at post-race drinking so can offer a helpful tip: pubs sell crisps.

• Options
    RicFRicF ✭✭✭

32:50 here is really pleasing,

I don't believe this is Dachs at all. What have you done with him you monster?

All the same, excellent result. Well done!

🙂

• Options

Great stuff Dachs - I think that's definitely 32.20 odd you quick bugger, don't think I could manage that tbh at the moment. Sort the beer out eh lad..

Work is busy so I will keep it brief. Mile last night at Eastern Vets, the quick guy from MK was there again so didn't expect to win.Laps..

1 - 71, 2 - 2.22, 3-3.33, ended with 4.38. Outside my PB, but it was windy and didn't feel up for it so quite happy. The guy from MK had a tweak so I thought I would go past on 2 laps and see if he wanted to test his leg. He came past with 200m to go

Change of plan for the BAL at Basingstoke at the weekend, 1500 instead of 3k. Lane 1 for the majority of the race is the aim!

• Options
    PeteMPeteM ✭✭✭

Fantastic run and win Dachs and so soon after a hard effort in the 2 miler two days earlier. Effectively running it alone in the last 2k too, so maybe a bit more off your time if you were in a hard race to the line?

Supports my view that doing 2 races in quick succession is ok provided they're not too long in distance. 

• Options
    Reg WandReg Wand ✭✭✭

Great work, Dachs. I know what you mean about your clubmate, I made that comment in the XC. He'd bolt off in the lead and I would come past him about halfway.

He's come on a bit though. I clicked on his profile on Strava a while back, after Woodley 10k I think, his training seems to consist exclusively of sub 6 runs!

Nice miling SC.

• Options
    Totally agree on the back to back Pete. Always ran well at Stevenage relays the day after a Watford or Bedford 5k
  • Options
    DachsDachs ✭✭✭

Here's a photo from before the start of Monday's 2 mile race.  Pete and I are meeting for the first time on the right, whilst my clubmate Duncan and a random old chap are paying tribute to the Fuehrer.

http://ukgallery.srichinmoyraces.org/London/2016/2-Miles-Race-1-August/START/i-DhQjmsS

• Options
    DachsDachs ✭✭✭

Thanks all. Ric, I always have one race out of twenty a year that I'm pleased with, and save the grousing for the other 19.

Simon, good stab at a mile in the wind, sometimes it's just a solid performance that is needed.

Reg, yes, it is something of a trademark for him now, and we rib him mercilessly about it.  Still does it though.

• Options
    Dachs wrote (see)

and a random old chap are paying tribute to the Fuehrer.

I know that old chap, Peter Torre. I'll pass your regards when I next see himimage

• Options
    PeteMPeteM ✭✭✭
    He's always there that old guy; never shuts up; asked me if Mo and Usain Bolt were in the same race at the Olympics! Seemed serious too!
  • Options

Nicely done Dachs & Simon.

It was a wee bit windy tonight.

Lit: would a macaroni pie be a more suitable pub offering where you are?

• Options
    PeteM wrote (see)
    He's always there that old guy; never shuts up; asked me if Mo and Usain Bolt were in the same race at the Olympics! Seemed serious too!

That's Peter. Always willing to offer you the winner from tomorrow's horse races.

• Options

I've never seen one in a pub but a macaroni pie would certainly hit the spot after a race. You can also get lasagne pie.

• Options
    literatin wrote (see)

I've never seen one in a pub but a macaroni pie would certainly hit the spot after a race. You can also get lasagne pie.

Just Wow.

Course PB last night at the 10mi TT. We're on the slower courses now as the summer draws in. Wife-pace run tonight.