Options

Moraghan Training - Stevie G

Comments

• Options
    Reg WandReg Wand ✭✭✭

Just been on a catch up, where are these f****** reports?

It was all building nicely then it stops....

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

nice one Dachs.

Although you have now "completed" 3k, as a sub 8.55 aint gonna be as impressive image

• Options
    Reg WandReg Wand ✭✭✭

Well done, Dachs & SC. Almost makes me feel like my 6.5 mile recovery run at lunch isn't worth mentioning.

• Options
    DeanR7DeanR7 ✭✭✭

great work dachs and simon. though kudos to dachs for comfortably smashing the barrier and beating simon in a sprint finish.   was there a dip finish?

• Options
    ML84ML84 ✭✭✭
    Great running chaps!
  • Options
    RicFRicF ✭✭✭

Yes, great races guys.

I have visions of Simon taking his beer intake into double figures to balance the deal.

🙂

• Options
    Ha ha. I'll do a report a bit later. Actually honestly didn't know I was racing Dachs in the last 50. It was tunnel vision by thenimage
  • Options

Rapid Dachs and Simon! Great stuff

Pain is weakness leaving the body
  • Options

So I had better do a bit now or i'll never do it!. As said above, bizarre warm up in the dark and rain with Dachs and my mate Jeff from HHH before the race and then we were down on the track for the final warm ups. Felt a bit guilty on the line as I was next to Melissa Courtney (who did 9.03) and I bashed her in the chest when the gun went. Funny as she is a fellow Poole/Bournemouth type and her coach knows my dad!

So as mentioned above, went off quicker than I thought, but what the hell eh. I know the first lap was about 67. So I didn't feel amazing, but the laps ticked by and I think at 4/5 laps I went through on sub 8.50 pace!

Not surprisingly this didn't last and I approached the last 600m starting to fade, however seeing the bell at 7.40 gave me a bit of a spurt on. So running with style in the ;last 200m but managed to keep a semblance of form to come in under 9 mins. Like I said before, I can't even remember battling Dachs down the home straight. He was just there doubled over when we all finished. Funny though I knew that Dachs was likely to beat me - I was pleased it was only by 0.02 of a second, knowing how well he is running at the moment!

All in all -  a great night out,

Dean - spoke to Les before his 1500, not sure if he had enough time to warm up, he didn't look great in the last 800.

• Options
    RicFRicF ✭✭✭

I was next to Melissa Courtney (who did 9.03) and I bashed her in the chest when the gun went.

Expect an enquiry from the police any time soon image.

🙂

• Options
    CC82CC82 ✭✭✭

Superb 3000m Dachs and SC! I'd take a 9:55 and be happy, let alone an 8:55!

Easy last couple of days for me.  Doddled around at 8:30s for 30 minutes yesterday then this morning 3.6 miles with a steady 6:26 sandwiched between 2 easy miles and some strides at the end.  5ish mile hill race tomorrow image

• Options

Ric - I'll be ready with my excuses if they do come round!

CC82 - enjoy the race! I'll be getting plastered tomorrow with 90 mins of football at Selhurst pk thrown in, which will probably be the crappest part of the day!

Nice 40 minute run yesterday lunchtime with a woman who has started at the Trust this week and heard that I was a runner, I felt pretty tired from the 3k though.

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

A local town to me, Princes Risborough do a weekly 5k time trial in a park. But they don't link it to parkrun for some reason, and they do it on a Sunday.

Anyway,sniffing through their months of results, the fields are generally miniscule, and the winning times, with all due respect generally midpack fare.

One time leapt out, some geezer did a 16.30 there, and a quick Phil-esque leaf throguh PO10, it seems he's done a 8.55 3k himself.

Erm, not particularly interesting on its own, but, while we're talking 8.55s!

• Options
    Reg WandReg Wand ✭✭✭

I can picture it now...Billy big biscuits turns up like some kind of disaffected hoodrat. Oversized headphones, bare chest and hiked up underpants. 

Strolls a 17:xx to take the win and strolls off into the blue yonder.

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Don't ruin tomorrow's race report son image

Tomorrow is looking like a 16 year old's dream day, 5k race, Tott v Pool, Wycombe v whichever pony we're playing, Hull v United.

It's either amazing, or worrying living such an existence at my age, but for now, let's go...amazing image

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

if anyone is at a loose end, and fancies doing a little summary of the different courses they've done i'd be Interested.

So far I've done 3 different courses only, but fancy racking up a few different ones for a bit. For one thing, a little drive to a parkrun helps bring back the "proper" race vibe preparation wise.

• Dulwich, fastest I've done, 3 laps, nice surface, did my 16.53 there, in spite of an insane start. Hour drive!
    • Black park, flat enough, but dodgy woody type footing in the main, can be a splash fest
    • Wycombe, steps, couple of inclines, perhaps 1k on grass?

On another note, I noticed the fastest parkrun time in the records is 12.12.

Tidy, I thought, being about 20secs quicker than the world record for the track!
    Is a wheelchair time though, and while still sounds a really good effort, just wondered why that's included in the running stats! Not like it'll ever be beaten!

• Options
    PeteMPeteM ✭✭✭

Just back from hols and a lot to catch up on here but the 3k times of Dacha and Simon stand out; echo CC82's comments that do a sub 10 would be brilliant yet alone a sub 9! 

SG; I'll start the ball rolling with a one liner on some of your nearest pr's I've done;

Maidenhead:2 laps, smooth fast course but quirky little hill at end of each lap

Bracknell:Lovely varied course but hilly 3 laps and mostly off road so not a fast one

Northala Fields: Fast 1 lap course but hard to follow as loops all over the place

Reading: Great location; k markers help, all off road though so not that fast

Woodley Mostly flat and tarmac so one of the fastest except for 3 lap traffic

Upton Court, Surprisingly fast and nice feel to it; good cafe on site for after!

• Options
    alehousealehouse ✭✭✭

I've done a few London ones, with Dulwich and Burgess being the quickest. Wimbledon is reasonably quick when it has been dry for a while and a particularly pleasant course through woodland. Brockwell enjoyable but hilly, all on tarmac. 

In the Manchester area Stretford and South Manchester are the quickest if anyone wants a fast parkrun prior to a football match in the neighbourhood. Have done lots of others also: Wilmslow, Woodbank, Worsley Woods and Wythenshawe, Burnage, Bramhall, Marple, and Glossop. Then there's Stamford Park, Chadderton Hall and Heaton Park. Won't go into detail but if anyone is ever in the area and wants more info then drop me a message. Hopefully off to Lyme Park tomorrow, which I gather is more or less a fell race!

Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • Options
    ..sounds like Tring that one then Alehouse!

The ones I've actually done.

Poole- One of the classics. Flat, picturesque, very popular, usually 5/6th busiest in the country. Managed sub 16 there, but human traffic can be an issue.

Aylesbury- Flat, pan handle course, can be a bit twisty in places and tricky if icy/wet

MK- Reasonable, bugger of a switchback hill by Willen Lake though.

Rushmere (LBuzz)- beautiful wooded course, off road,

Tring - basically a short xc / fell race. Tough but good fun.

Bournemouth- by Mecca (Dean Court). Grassy, reasonably swift.

Seen Buckingham and Cardiff (both quite fast)

Have also completed 'the Kimpton' on new Years day. That is Aylesbury at 9am, then a 8/9 mile run at 6.50 pace to tring for their one at 10.30. Recommend no drinking the night before though!
  • Options
    CC82CC82 ✭✭✭
    I doubt you'll want to drive to North East Scotland for a Parkrun SG, but I'll drop these in anyway...

Aberdeen Parkrun - as flat as it gets in my neck of the woods. Out along the upper promenade, turn back along the lower promenade and a little bump back up with about 300m to go. All pavement. The issue is always wind being on the coastline!

Ellon Parkrun - start downhill is always far too fast! Nice course though - more enjoyable than Aberdeen. All hard paths apart from a wooden bridge. Couple of tight bends and the worst bit is the section of double back on a not very wide path meeting other runners. Bastard of an uphill finish.

Inverness Parkrun - 3 pretty flat laps of Bught Park playing fields. All on grass. I did it in a November or December so it was pretty soggy in places.

Pontefract Parkrun - all on hard paths. Couple of hills and quite a few tight turns. Good course though.
  • Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

ta chaps, interested to hear of the little quirks and subtleties of these races. I guess the fact i'm calling them races shows i'm not getting into them! Will it get to the obsessional level of Pete? Well, possibly knowing me. I am that type of character!image

Whittled my list down to 3, a couple near Watford, and one near my work in Slough. All similar ish sort of distance/times, with Slough a bit nearer.

Fancied something a bit more low key in terms of numbers than Wycombe, and something that isn't walkable, to try and get myself back into the proper race day experience of a trip to arrange.

Ideally I wanted to rack another "win" up, so eventually settled on South Oxhey, which has been won in 19.30-21 for seemingly ages.

Read their site, ignored the reference to the long incline/hill or whatever they stated it as, and thought, I quite fancy a 3 lapper (for some reason!)

Breathy warmup, so just did a couple of laps (2miles). Didn't even bother with strides, and I was caught in between a sort of casual, this'll be comfy and that didn't feel great just jogging round.

Bit of post race bantz with a dutch chap. Has he come from abroad just for this race? I probably should have asked this in fairness, rather than wittering on about the Wycombe parkrun, which for some reason I've in my head as being some kind of benchmark of tough courses, just because it is 1/5th on grass and has some steps.

Usual wander round beforehand, wondering on how fast anyone who looked skinny or even vaguely young was.  Hadn't given the dutch guy much thought, mid 40s perhaps? And a muscled young guy I presumed was more a gym geezer.

We're finally off, (do these ever start vaguely close to 9?), and I monster the 200metres on the flat, and head up on the first incline. Cruising it, this is gonna be brilliant, the lads (and Lit) on the internet will love this.
    Get to the peak of the hill, give a nod to the marshall, in a sort of "this is how we do" stylee. Nod to another marshall, and monster down the down part, taking care to avoid what looks like a massive golf style bunker, and little bit of rough.

Incredible scenes, we're definitely winning this today, but 2 more laps.
    Have obviously slowed down a little from the rapid 5.27 first lap, but off we go for a second lap.

This course is probably harder than Wycombe I start thinking, as I reach the top of the course again, although i'm also strangely thinking I've already blown the course away and am miles clear. Didn't even worry when I heard a slightly late extra clap from a marshall.
    had a little glance round as we began the down part, and noticed there were 2 extremely quiet but looking strong runners about 2metres behind.
    Cripes I thought, but 3rd will do today, before realising I was still blimming leading, so a little early to give up.

Bottom of the hill, i'm in 3rd, sheepishly wondering what those other marshalls must be thinking.

Just see it home, that'll do was the new thought. Presuming 4th was miles behind, but we saw what presumption had achieved earlier.

Up the hill again, and suddenly the organiser's comment about how you might find the first hill easy, but wouldn't the third time is sounding very loud in my head!

Overlapping a bunch of 2nd lappers helped things along. Dutchie, and muscular guy miles clear (or so it felt).
    Remembered Reg's piece about posting a 17:xx, so as the seconds ran down I put in a mad sprint.
    18.00 on the watch for 3.13, so beholden on the vagueries of the exact start and stop line, and how quick/slow i'd been on the watch.

As always, if you have any doubt, you don't get under, so 18.01.

Had a scroll back on their results... last 10 weeks? 19.30-22min winning times.

Last 5

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

ta chaps, interested to hear of the little quirks and subtleties of these races. I guess the fact i'm calling them races shows i'm not getting into them! Will it get to the obsessional level of Pete? Well, possibly knowing me. I am that type of character!image

Whittled my list down to 3, a couple near Watford, and one near my work in Slough. All similar ish sort of distance/times, with Slough a bit nearer.

Fancied something a bit more low key in terms of numbers than Wycombe, and something that isn't walkable, to try and get myself back into the proper race day experience of a trip to arrange.

Ideally I wanted to rack another "win" up, so eventually settled on South Oxhey, which has been won in 19.30-21 for seemingly ages.

Read their site, ignored the reference to the long incline/hill or whatever they stated it as, and thought, I quite fancy a 3 lapper (for some reason!)

Breathy warmup, so just did a couple of laps (2miles). Didn't even bother with strides, and I was caught in between a sort of casual, this'll be comfy and that didn't feel great just jogging round.

Bit of post race bantz with a dutch chap. Has he come from abroad just for this race? I probably should have asked this in fairness, rather than wittering on about the Wycombe parkrun, which for some reason I've in my head as being some kind of benchmark of tough courses, just because it is 1/5th on grass and has some steps.

Usual wander round beforehand, wondering on how fast anyone who looked skinny or even vaguely young was.  Hadn't given the dutch guy much thought, mid 40s perhaps? And a muscled young guy I presumed was more a gym geezer.

We're finally off, (do these ever start vaguely close to 9?), and I monster the 200metres on the flat, and head up on the first incline. Cruising it, this is gonna be brilliant, the lads (and Lit) on the internet will love this.
    Get to the peak of the hill, give a nod to the marshall, in a sort of "this is how we do" stylee. Nod to another marshall, and monster down the down part, taking care to avoid what looks like a massive golf style bunker, and little bit of rough.

Incredible scenes, we're definitely winning this today, but 2 more laps.
    Have obviously slowed down a little from the rapid 5.27 first lap, but off we go for a second lap.

This course is probably harder than Wycombe I start thinking, as I reach the top of the course again, although i'm also strangely thinking I've already blown the course away and am miles clear. Didn't even worry when I heard a slightly late extra clap from a marshall.
    had a little glance round as we began the down part, and noticed there were 2 extremely quiet but looking strong runners about 2metres behind.
    Cripes I thought, but 3rd will do today, before realising I was still blimming leading, so a little early to give up.

Bottom of the hill, i'm in 3rd, sheepishly wondering what those other marshalls must be thinking.

Just see it home, that'll do was the new thought. Presuming 4th was miles behind, but we saw what presumption had achieved earlier.

Up the hill again, and suddenly the organiser's comment about how you might find the first hill easy, but wouldn't the third time is sounding very loud in my head!

Overlapping a bunch of 2nd lappers helped things along. Dutchie, and muscular guy miles clear (or so it felt).
    Remembered Reg's piece about posting a 17:xx, so as the seconds ran down I put in a mad sprint.
    18.00 on the watch for 3.13, so beholden on the vagueries of the exact start and stop line, and how quick/slow i'd been on the watch.

As always, if you have any doubt, you don't get under, so 18.01.

Had a scroll back on their results... last 10 weeks? 19.30-22min winning times.

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Last 50 weeks? 18.01 would have won, and only been in a race a couple of times

Dutchie did 17.36 and Muscle 17.50.

Looks like dutchie's only parkrun which is a shame, as i'd like to know how tasty he'd be on other courses.

All in all, happy with a little run out somewhere new, and 18.01 will  do, as the grass and hills don't help for sure. Would have been nice to post another 1st, but that's running!! image

There were only 41 there today! I wonder if there are any smaller field ones on the go. In 84 weeks, 18.01 would have been about 6th or so, so to have 3 at that time and quicker in 1 week is a strange one,

Obviously the other 2 options today were won in 19.30 and mid 18s (on a flat pavement course)image

Posted a 180 top HR, so that's the highest I've seen it so far. Humid day as always, as i'm writing this now my hands still feel a bit clammy, 4 hours on!

Right, got this down to 2 posts only... give me another 17 parkruns, and i'll be cool enough to post a one liner.. image

Stevie G wrote (see)

. I guess the fact i'm calling them races shows i'm not getting into them!

now, not erm "Not"

Most interesting bit which I almost forgot was chatting to 4th, whose said his gf actually has that heart condition Muamba had, and the one the docs can't rule out for me (but can't rule in!) On telling me her symptoms it showed me how much worse a boat we were talking. So I took away a little that you count your blessings and can turn up on the casual and work hard for 18mins.

• Options
    alehousealehouse ✭✭✭

Well done SG! Definitely not the easiest of courses...and nor was mine. At the top of the first hill (a proper fell race type hill: first k came up in 7 minutes exactly and I seriously thought I was going to have an asthma attack! It would definitely have made for a decent max heart rate test. Was supposed to be pacing an L65 around with the hope of breaking the age group record of 28:02. Not the easiest course to pace on and not helped by another long and gradual hill near the end. Anyway she came in at 27:59 (official): to give an idea of the severity of the course she usually runs sub 25, with a fastest lately of 24:14. Not sure I'll be doing that one again...at least for a while. Too hard at my age!

Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Hills in 5ks always upset the applecart! And in fairness mine sounds more a "long incline" than what you were dealing with! Good effort.

There was a 74 year old guy there today, cracking effort! I'm struggling to get to 40 and still be turning out!

• Options
    Nice one Stevie. Now about that heart rate ... that's going to be within 5 of your max I reckon especially with hills in the mix.
  • Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Muds, i don't want to overstate the hills, they weren't too steep, just long.

I don't know much about all this, but if 185 was my max then, today i was averaging 172, which would mean i was working at 92% of max overall, and 97% at peak! Maybe i presumed i'd have a higher than 185 as i'm supposedly a fit runner, or maybe it's been limited through the issues the last year. Not sure now!

I did read something off the "5k runner" site saying only v good runners can run 5ks in the "Red zone" of 90-100%, but then another site says 90% is simply the "racing zone", so i'm not sure now

However, i'll try another effort soon, see how stats come out then.

Anyone else got any 5k readings, versus any Max HR they may know of their own?

Guy at the race today reckoned he'd clocked himself as a 191 before, during some sort of HIT job

• Options

My max is somewhere around 210-215, I think, and it peaked in last week's parkrun at 179, compared to 201 on two separate track sessions recently where I was running 800s.

• Options

I possibly should be trying a bit harder in 5ks though - I'm not really a short distance runner and lack that extra gear to be able to push hard.

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

I thought the shorter reps weren't very effective at picking up HRs, as you need a more prolonged workout to ramp it? Or maybe that was only certain monitors.

Although I heard of one test that was something like 3mins hard, rest 3mins then take it again after another 3mins hard.

So that wouldn't be a million miles off the equivalent of 800s.

At the mo, i'm not certain how hard i'm working in these 5ks as odd as that sounds. Used to be easier to judge from body signs and how long lying on the floor after.

I'll test a flatter fast 5k on paths next time, to take out the grass/long inclines element!

Interesting with your zones though, 179 v 210/5 is a big difference.

I would like a 200+ to justify my readings for "easy" runs image

Although if it could stop being humid every day that'd help