Options

Moraghan Training - Stevie G

Comments

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Mines only the entry level one, not the fat cat version Bus has been issued with, and to be honest it more than does a job.

Especially as my previous one wasn't even a smart phone and could just about ring and text.

• Options
    RicFRicF ✭✭✭

I don't use a phone (mobile) at all. I have a £10 Nokia which is switched off. 

I don't use an I pad. Though there's one somewhere in the house.

The lad uses a super powerful laptop for which I have sourced extra cooling fans and an arrangement to ensure all round circulation. The thing was cutting out due to the heat generated.

I use a PC with a good old fashioned keyboard.

It's got Windows7 professional installed and is certainly good enough for what I do.

Strava is something which someone else was alerting me to. It's amusing, but smacks of people aspiring to be 'the best guy of 1.75m tall, grey hair and 45, being the fastest to run up the slope to the station, in the first Tuesday of the month of June after a rain storm'.

Really, it's telling I can be so far up the league tables simply upping the pace during a steady run. 

I mean, I wasn't exactly dressed for speed. Trainers, long bottoms, double layers on top with hat and gloves. I can also add running into the wind having already covered over five miles.

🙂

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

don't forget the 0.73mile segment around Cocknballs Pond Lake that Bus is current King of the Chimps for.

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

image I really gots to find something better to do of an evening than bantering with the running cru on here...

these winter eves, alright Iron..autumn eves don't lend themselves to much more than hibernating and preparing for tomorrow's runz though.

• Options

Luddite image . I resisted a smartphone for a very long time, until work insisted I have one. Trouble was, it was locked down for virtually everything, so basically just a large brick that made sure I had to answer every bloody email that came through. With a bit of cunning though, I've managed to disable all the restrictions and can use it as a proper Smartphone, and despite my initial reluctance, it is actually very useful - just wish it was smaller and I could download OS maps!! 

Good run home tonight - reasonable pace given it was dark at about 40s per mile quicker than this morning. Adductor still sore, but I'm ignoring it in the hope it will give up and go away (it did last time - sort of!)

• Options
    RicFRicF ✭✭✭

Don't say that SG, you'll be getting that Marsh guy on here offering advice on what to do with idle hands image.

🙂

• Options
    RicFRicF ✭✭✭

Work insisting I have a phone!

That would have been interesting.

🙂

• Options

I think the fact you are still referring to them as smartphones says it all!

Having had a work phone for 7 years in my previous job I somehow seemed to have gotten away with it at my current job. If I wanted I could get one and it would be an iPhone but I'd rather be harder to contactimage

• Options

Perhaps that's why self-employment suits you Ric image. In my job I have to be contactable at certain times - it's not negotiable.  I could have my own phone instead ("smart" or stupid!) but then I'd have to pay for it.

What do you mean Reg - what should they be called then? Please enlighten me!

SG - that's the attitude you USED to have about parkruns!  I'd bet money you'll end up as Strava Wanker before the decade is out image

• Options
    RicFRicF ✭✭✭

That's the issue about mobile phones being handed out for work.

The technology now exists, you either have the choice of using it and keeping your job, or the street.

I recall some guy juggling three phones at once because his job involved all the worlds time zones. He looked as if he was at the stage where he didn't know if it was day or night...

mare!

🙂

• Options
    The Bus wrote (see)

Perhaps that's why self-employment suits you Ric image. In my job I have to be contactable at certain times - it's not negotiable.  I could have my own phone instead ("smart" or stupid!) but then I'd have to pay for it.

What do you mean Reg - what should they be called then? Please enlighten me!

SG - that's the attitude you USED to have about parkruns!  I'd bet money you'll end up as Strava Wanker before the decade is out image

Bus - I think they are generally just called 'phones' now. It's just that I've not heard the term 'smart phones' for quite a while as everyone has one these days.

• Options

Must just be me then - I use an IP phone at work, a small very, basic mobile phone (for emergencies when running) and a smart phone. They are all "phones".

Ric doesn't have one either so that's 50% of the people on this page image

Anyways, just off to listen to my wireless.....

• Options

Wet run into work, gutted to hear about those two AFD girls killed last night out training. Obviously the BBC called them joggers. Driver arrested - what do you reckon? drunk or phone?

Bloody trains up the creek last night at Luton so couldn't go training, had to settle for an annoyed 1-2-3-4-5-6-5-4-3-2-1 minute pyramid around Regent's park and Camden. My racers are crap so I legs a bit tender this morning..but, insignificant comparing to the bigger picture

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-hampshire-37917703

• Options

That's pretty dreadful. 

Simon Coombes 2 wrote (see)

Driver arrested - what do you reckon? drunk or phone?

Could also have been on a smart phone though.

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Bus, although my parkrun keenness has watered down now i've got back into the proper paid for races image.

Strava seems to be genius if you like giving strangers access to your exact running routes and address. And also on my crap phone i can't get into it anyway!

1hr 15min drive for 12miles today. Worst yet! But 8miler came out at 6.38 for some reason. Maybe getting back in to proper tempos wouldn't be too far off.

• Options
    not arsed tbh. He needs to be locked up for 20 years if it was. One was an international apparently.

Interestingly BBC now calling them runners. Someone has had a word.
  • Options

I noticed that, SC.

I try not to think about things like this, especially as I have two girls now. Somehow seems worse the closer the people live to you.

Nice run SG, bad drive. I'd never gp back to driving when I get places faster on my bike.

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Whoops, missed the much more serious situation than my bad drive!

The word "jogger" almost suggests just some absolute amateur boobing around, although a driver being arrested speaks volumes. Whatever their pace and status, a tragedy.

• Options

Terrible isn't it. Stacey Burrows and Lucy Pygott - Lucy ran in their Under 17 team I think, they pipped Herne Hill to the win, I must have seen her come in. Lovely girl apparently (my mate at LBAC had spoken to her) and had run for GB.

Driver arrested on suspicion of drink driving. If convicted he needs to do 20 years. But I'm not holding my breath.

• Options

Unlike him when he got caught. On the bright side at least you didn't kill the thread today.

• Options

..there's always time. I'm being shunned because my race reports aren't long enough..obvs.

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

You don't have a storyline Simon, it's just fast training, fast race again and again and again imageimage

I've moved my storyline on from decent level, improved by a coaching legend, thrown in a few little scuffles along the way, before settling in for an epic battle against the physical limitations of the breathing ting.

It keeps the views up, they love it.

(ps i appreciate i should have left this a few hours to prove your threadkiller status....)image

• Options

Very sad indeed. Too many idiot drivers around who don't seem to get the seriousness and responsibility involved in hurtling around in a one tonne metal box.

6 at lunch, very windy and sluggish, but at least I'm still here to do another one....

• Options

what caused the wind, Bus, diet?

Simon has his drinking I guess and his field events provide some amusement but I think I am all out of javelin jokes.

• Options
    RicFRicF ✭✭✭

thrown in a few little scuffles along the way imageimage, and of course dispatched the Stella cow.

Not many silly driving escapades from me. Just a couple where I was very very lucky to get away with it. And a couple of other questionable items.

Running cured all speeding in cars. Can't compare on the value of the achievement.

🙂

• Options

Can't see the point of the javelin...and really don't want to discus 

Luckily I was also windy Reg - a tail wind helped with some forward propulsion to counteract the head wind!

• Options
    Reg- don't forget about the falling over in the Watford pub and injuring myselfimage

Discussing how much the driver will get if he's guilty of being high on drink or drugs, should be 20 years minimum.
  • Options
    RicFRicF ✭✭✭

It's driving. He'll get a two year ban, £300 fine and a suspended 12 week sentence.

🙂

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

While if it was some financial fraud, he'd probably get a million times worse.  But how would you ever pick a fitting punishment? And even if you could it doesn't bring someone back.

I'm glad I completely bypass the whole booze thing. One of the things I really hate about my beloved football is the horrible booze culture that goes with it.

• Options
    PeteMPeteM ✭✭✭

Absolutely awful the events at Aldershot and to lose girls at that age must be unbearable for their families. Lets hope this makes more people stop and think twice before drink driving and then at least a crumb of good will come from the tragedy.

Doesn't even seem right to discuss anything else but lets not lay all the blame on booze. Even in football its the boorish, aggressive, tribalism that's the real issue. Contrast cricket and rugby both with booze cultures attached, but in a fun and friendly manner with (generally) good humoured banter between fans even when boozed up.