Options

Moraghan Training - Stevie G

Comments

• Options
    The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

I nearly went swimming today Reg, but decided a walk in the sun was a better option (fool). Cycling doesn't seem to aggravate it at all - thankfully! We'll see how it is tonight though for the short trip home from the station, as it's sore now. That is some swimming session that!

15 min miling SG, so quickish, but not stupidly so and it was dead flat. I did go up the stairs at work after, so that might have tipped the balance, but going up stairs hasn't been a problem this week - I've just avoided going down them.

• Options
    The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭
    Well, it wasn't a short trip from the station after all. My train was cancelled, so I decided to ride home rathe than wait, despite having a rucsac full of washing and too many clothes on! Pootling along, around mile 10, a rhythmic sound suddenly stared coming from the back wheel "allo!" I think, "what's this?", suspecting some debris had somehow got stuck to the tyre or something. No, the bloody tyre had partially come off!

Despite my best efforts to repair - not easy, as the only safe(ish) place on this busy, 60mph, narrow country lane was half in a bush - I couldn't get the tyre to sit on the rim. It was really odd, as it looked like it had stretched, and when seated on one part of the rim, would pop off another.

Nothing for it but admit defeat and get the Mrs to come and rescue me - only the second time ever! Hair raising walk pushing the bike along this road for a mile or so to a safe place for her to pick me up. It was all very bizarre, and I really can't work out why this would happen, as the tyre has been on the bike for 300 miles or so without issue, but was just thanking my lucky stars it hadn't gone a wee bit more catastrophically on one of the many fast, bendy downhills on my routes. On the plus side, the knee didn't hurt...
  • Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2017

Sounds like a blooming awful few days Bus!

Cycling worries me all in. You're so vulnerable on that thin little rim of rubber against the floor, too many impatient idiots out there, super dangerous in certain weathers, if it goes wrong you get a real sense of being stranded.

So erm, fair play to the cyclists out there! You're brave.

• Options
    PeteMPeteM ✭✭✭
    You're too kind with 'brave' SG; we're just bloody stupid :D Hope your luck improves now Bus.
  • Options
    The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭
    Something liek that CC!

All just small beer in the grand scheme of things but annoying nonetheless!
  • Options
    Hey Dachs... Out tonight doing my normal struggle with the club, running your old man.?. Didn't realise it was him until he mentioned his son was up from Reading last weekend who happened to knock out a ten miles training run in 53mins... Had to be you...

Hope the rest of you are fit and running well, need to catch back up with the thread and get back into the banter....
  • Options
    Sorry... should read before posting... wasn't running your old man but running with your old man...
  • Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Now that is a small world! Welcome back bluenose, must have been a couple of years!! Id got to the victory 5, a lot has happened since then, but we're still going. Thats the key thing
  • Options
    Absolute madness at Watford last night! 

25 x 800 m races! Cool to see 1:50 and stuff being ran and then 133 entries into the 3KMs over 4 races

Was in race 3 - 9:00-8:35 group and 35 in our race.. Race 2 was ran won in 9:16 so made the right call to over predict..

9:09.01 Pretty happy!1st KM in 3 flat maybe 3:01 so a little backwards but good with no taper and an opener! 

Pain is weakness leaving the body
  • Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Nice one! Dare i ask what time race 4 started? 11pm or something?

They might get to a position they ask people to pre book if those numbers continued.
    It's a quality set up down there, but the late starts for 3k are awkward. I still have bad memories of trying to "unleash" in a pitch black toilet, hoping the door wouldn't swing shut taking the slight bit of light :)

• Options
    Definitely insane at Watford but equally silly at the Bucks AA Champs. The 2 day event has nothing over 1,500m for senior men. No 3,000, 5,000 anywhere and the 10,000m is midweek in September. 

How can they have 133 runners at Watford and none for Bucks? It is just becoming less and less relevant each year: last Saturday 121,338 people in the UK did a parkrun. Surely the AA can have a 3k or 5k race 
  • Options
    DeanR7DeanR7 ✭✭✭

scott-  excellent opener.  i would have been happy to open with that in April.  now dont get ill/injured/arse related health scares and i think you can have a great yr.

Dachs - i know its not what you are after but a very good 10m.  in fact hads you not gone sub 70 yet i think that 10m time would feel a bit more impressive to you.

No one go near "calamity bus" in case its catching...i fully expect bus to get 6 numbers on the lottery and lose the ticket this weekend :)

nice 200s session from simon and SG.  I was reading an article by Cram and he states 200s are more relevant with shorter recoveries.  his reasoning was in a race the only time you need 200m explosive pace is at the end of a race when you are tired.  So doing your reps of short recovery is best.  lets be honest 200s off a long recovery is a easy session unless they are done at eyeballs out pace, so it probably sounds like Cram is on to something....that and his ability to get World records etc... :)

starting to feel myself at the track this week.  had a load of 200s 500s and 300s to contend with. had a mother of all toilet stops as i clearly was recovering from a stomach bug....i missed 6 minutes in the middle of the reps.  luckily only 1 of the 500s.  but despite that i felt i was more bouncy than last week and the 500s were 79secs and 300s were 44/45 secs so whilst im not quite back on full power they are tidy enough reps to build from.

• Options
    Yes SG about 10:50! Mental!! There was word about online booking so coming into affect. To sift through 250 runners in 800 and then 130 in the 3km to allocate race on the night I saw a touch unfair to them! 

It all ran ran smoothly though just long. 

Cannot believe that PMJ how on earth do they expect to grow athletics! To be fair our coach said not that long ago there wasn't just 1 3km race and only 2 people went under sub 9.. yesterday Race 4 had 30 + 8:05 - 8:35 runners 
  • Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2017
    Dean, in fairness every session ever is best off shorter recoveries, to replicate the "no recovery" of a race :)

I do love some 200s. They can feel pretty tough and relentless during, but you can always hang on for so little.

With a 17:03 5k logged recently, like Phil said, there's a very obvious target to hit. One i've only gone under twice.
    I look forward to seeing if that 16:53 at Dulwich can be matched or bettered.

More importantly though, i look forward to getting back on the scene regularly again.
    Easy to take that aspect massively for granted!

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Scott, maybe they could do a medium ground. You have to register by 12pm on the day?
    Then they can scope things out, get things arranged, without a massive rush on the night?
    And people can arrive a little later, which reduces the grid lock.

Maybe they will have to limit fields and totals of runners, but that's awkward if any "top" people decide late on, as you'd obviously want to be able to include them.
  • Options
    DeanR7DeanR7 ✭✭✭

sometimes its good to have long recoveries, where you are trying to go significantly faster than race pace but still maintain the volume.  short recoveries often means a lower pace.  But 200 reps are the easiest in the book unless eyeballs out.  just comparing a 200 session to a 300 session and its a different game altogether.

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2017
    Yep, the 6x300 i have always goes the same way. Absolutely rampage the first one, have that sudden realisation that there are 5 more to do at the same pace, and then..settling a couple of seconds slower :)

This plan has 4 pace zones, that you do in order, 5k/3k/1500/800, and 3 sessions in each. The distance increases from session 1 to 2 to 3 in each zone

I still wonder who could manage 5x400 at 800 paceoff 2-3mins though!
  • Options

My 200's session is at that in-between pace - eyeballs out is impossible (obviously) at the start with only 10 seconds recovery -so they tend to start at that 36 second pace and then get a bit swifter as the recoveries increase up to 30 secs for the last 10. Wonder what we will get at the track tonight? Hoping to hear IK is fit and ready for Sunday too.

Great opener Scott, I always end up with about 9.20 odd for the first one, although that's usually front running a cold Eastern masters league event. Numbers seem to be getting a bit silly now, see you were in the same race as Jordan from LBAC - he was the guy I tempoed round that 5.5. miler with on Monday. Good reps Deano - ill again? hope that's it for a while now..Thats age getting to you I think ;)

Swimming is tough. Only did 12  x 25m Monday afternoon and was knackered. I can swim pretty well, but I'm sure my technique would get pulled to bits too. Going to be doing a lot more of it though as I get REALLY old!

• Options
    Thanks Dean! Good sets by you there. We've started to introduce 4 x 30 seconds at the end of sessions to simulate what you are saying about faster running. 

Im happy with the time, with all of our sessions being over 5km volume and still transitioning to those shorter reps. We went into this untapered and with a full session on Saturday + Monday so it's looking promising for the season ahead. Obvious target is sub 9 now 

SG - I don't agree with a midday cut off if it's only turn up and pay ... I think there would or could be a simple platform online to self book and self pay in advance which would auto organise people into races based on their predicted time. I think they just need to look at the history and see how many more athletes are turning up now and get on top of it, I overheard some lads talking about getting a train at 2AM home. Most people that went to Watford I can bet pre planned it but wouldn't have gone home happy about waiting so long

I may even speak to my techy website developer friend see what he says 

• Options
    Slow for many of you, but my track at lunchtime today, 6x400m reps. Getting faster, average was 88, then 86, now 84.6.
  • Options
    Reg WandReg Wand ✭✭✭
    Good track reps all. I think in true Bus like style, all the bad luck comes at once.

A bit of a milestone for me today, hit the 100 mile mark for the year, in my biggest mileage week of the year (19.3) pushing my annual weekly mileage average up to 6.4 mpw :smile:

If I can get my 4 week rolling average up to 25 I think I'll chuck a parkrun in. The bad news is I feel a bit creaky and not that fluent but the good news is the paces seem ok, generally in the 7-7:30 region and all in the easy HR zone.
  • Options
    DeanR7DeanR7 ✭✭✭
    edited April 2017

the only way of controlling watford numbers is to put a cut off on the 800s.   to stop them getting too many races which pushes the timetable back.  either that or put up with the late nights.  when i came down last summer, the 1500 was very late and there was still 1 1500 left and the 3000s

scott we do some 50-80m accelerations at the end of a session too.   i did a hard session last yr which was 600 reps i think where the the first 400 was 3k pace then accelerate the last 200 to 800 pace.  that gets hard later on in the reps.

SG, for me that 5*400 at 800 pace off 2mins would be a race sharpener once you are at full powers.  and only once a summer.  though we do that session at 1500 pace (64secs)

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2017

It's session 12, so if they were spaced once a week would fit in with a long build up.

Always worth a few mins looking through the Watford results. You wonder if people woefully predicted their time, or fell apart in some of the races.

A lof of the 400s look all over the place. 48:xx best time of the night. That's insane pace

But 10.50pm last race, and 2am return train stuff is incredible.

I was impressed when Stevie See came down after a 3hour drive for a race. That was a good event I recall, as well as SS, there were 3 chaps from a local club, so plenty of interest.

Well, after laundering my breeks and bottling being the slowest prediction in the faster race, and moving to the more sensible one!

• Options
    I should have popped down to watch, had to get a bus to Watford last night and get picked up by the missus, got there at about 8.15! Trains were up the creek. 

Interesting session tonight, 3 sets of 4x400 with diminishing recoveries of 60 secs, 45 secs, 30 secs in the sets with 200m jog in between each set. Majority around 66/67/68, 65 for the last one. Creeps up,on you that session! As IK did the whole session, faster than me I presume he is fit and raring to go.. 
  • Options
    RicFRicF ✭✭✭
    Another quick read through from me.

I note the 30 x 200m session off short recovery has been mentioned.
    Why anyone should get so scared of the actual number of them I've no idea. It's only half a lap of the track. Certainly easier than 6 x 1000m, or 3 x 2000m.

The secret is to run them as a multi pace, acceleration, speed endurance session, not as a set of sprints.
    Really, if you're a distance runner, you don't want to get too far from your predicted race pace.
    SC has the pace about right. After all, 36 seconds equates to 4:50 mile pace. 

If the session is correct, the fatigue will creep up slowly rather than blow your guts out by rep three!
    You should also retain the ability to run the final two reps at least 10% faster than the average.
    If you can't, the session has been too intensive.

Apologies if I've over lapped anyone else's comments on this subject.

🙂

• Options

Cheers Ric - Seems like we have a discussion on the 30 x 200 session each time I do it, which is no bad thing ;)

I might have to find a way of keeping it fresh, perhaps going 30-20-10 secs on the recoveries, as it seems to get slightly easier with the bigger recoveries. Hmm.

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2017
    Ric, noone's scared of 30x200 per se. 
    It's being scared of doing 30 at the pace Simon does them ;)

I could trundle 30 out at 40seconds a rep with a pipe on. Try and pump 30 out 35 or quicker and it gets a lil bit more dificultings.

Anyway, a more charming 10x200 today. 

No wind on the track, so had a blast

The 31 was probably due to a couple of the bootcamp organisers watching ;)
    I had Dean in my head saying "this is an easy session son,", but it felt working hard enough, so i was comfortable in it :)

The next session moves back to Zone 1- the 5k, so more volume, 4miles worth.

Loving the new club at the moment. I've been part for less than 2months, and we've had the 2 relays, with a 3rd imminent and a few others proposed later in the year, got the 17:03 5k off, got a transfer for a Staines 10k place (paid, but it is sold out), and got a Marlow 5m place transfer for a fee of £5 (sports systems fee),

Roll on a mere £5 for entry to the club only 7 racee feeling that £35 membership will be the best money spent in a long long time.

• Options
    The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

I am! The thought of 30 x anything  - not so much scary, as mind-numbing!  I should try it though before I judge....

Some cracking sessions going on this week. I'm not buying a lottery ticket though! Good work at Watford Scott!

Double bike today and a long ride Sunday (hopefully!) and avoiding walking and stairs as well as running.

• Options
    DachsDachs ✭✭✭

Scott, excellent 3K season opener.  I opened with a 9:19 last year and got to sub 9, so progress should be good.  The first Watford is generally manic, they might calm down a bit from there.

Bluenose, good to see you.  That will indeed have been my dad, I was up over Easter and dragged him out for a 4 miler.  Glad he's back at it, and hope you're going well.

Thanks all for the kind words, it was a solid 10 miler even if it was 30 seconds down on where I went through 10 miles at Wokingham.  Matt, the excuse I had up my sleeve was that I'd spent all my spare time in the preceding days doing flooring, including working up to midnight a couple of times.  Probably not conducive to fast stuff.

Good running and reps all.  Will try to find time for a proper catch up soon.

• Options
    RicFRicF ✭✭✭
    SG, the Staines 10k was sold out in about a week. Ludicrous! Almost scary!

This has to be a 'must do' event. I mean, how flat can a course be? It has a total elevation accumulation of about 9 feet.

🙂