Options

Moraghan Training - Stevie G

Comments

• Options
    Stevie G said:
    On a more serious note, Dean, don't disagree with much of that. Although even your tempos are generally way ahead of 2nd place! 

If it was a tempo 5k it'd work better, but 15-10-5 calls for something different.
    15mins at 5.52, then just stopping/crawling to 9min miling jog would seem a bit pointless.

true, i often win still but im rarely in the lead after a mile.  i dont chase them , i just sit back and wait 

I think what wool/Ale were saying is do the parkrun as a tempo.  in what about 17-18 mins? instead of the 15mins then carry on as normal.  i would do that.  in fact i have.  i finished once, jogged a lap, then tempo'd another.
  • Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    DeanR7 said:
    Stevie G said:
    DeanR7 said:

nice 800 Simon.  sorry could get down to watford but was under coaches orders to do 2 sessions instead. Didnt realise i was on the UK all time list for 800...i knew i was high on the indoor all time list for 1500 but didnt check 800.  Will do now :) 
    As if you didn't ;)
    Ha!  i didnt check my 800 as it was 2.02 and thought it wouldnt be anywhere near any UK all time list.  Honestly just checked now and saw its way down in 39th.  Pfff!  now compare that to my 1500 which is 2nd ...which is probably why i checked that :)   
    Hey, getting onto any all time list is incredible.

Well..except for parkrun obviously!!
  • Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    DeanR7 said:
    Stevie G said:
    On a more serious note, Dean, don't disagree with much of that. Although even your tempos are generally way ahead of 2nd place! 

If it was a tempo 5k it'd work better, but 15-10-5 calls for something different.
    15mins at 5.52, then just stopping/crawling to 9min miling jog would seem a bit pointless.

true, i often win still but im rarely in the lead after a mile.  i dont chase them , i just sit back and wait 

I think what wool/Ale were saying is do the parkrun as a tempo.  in what about 17-18 mins? instead of the 15mins then carry on as normal.  i would do that.  in fact i have.  i finished once, jogged a lap, then tempo'd another.
    If it was me setting random amounts of time, i'd probably do exactly what you chaps suggest. Certainly wouldn't cast aside the expertise of the likes of you boys.

But I'm putting all faith in the Jonas plan at the mo, and trying to do it to the letter of the law right now.
    For one thing, up at 9am for a parkrun to not even have a smash at it, is probably too much discipline even for my monk like ways!!
  • Options
    Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭
    edited September 2018
    SG - shocking behaviour by PMJ ;) I guess he must be reasonably well on the mend by now? And no, Gul Darr isn't my real name; it's from a old sci-fi book (and it's not even the character's real name...)
    Feel a bit intimidated posting my running history on here after reading some scary paces on this page today, but here goes:-
    52, male, UK, been running regularly for about 9 years now.
    PBs: parkrun 18:42, 10k 39:30, HM 1:26:24 and Mara 3:30 (shocking conversion)
    I rarely race mainly because I'm usually at Church on a Sunday morning! Also living in West Norfolk means there are few local races. (Last race was end of October last year!)
    Current training: On week 8 of P&D up to 85 miles a week in prep for the Rother Valley marathon - it's on a Saturday :) Scope for a big PB if all goes to plan. 
  • Options
    Welcome to the new members, looking forward to hearing the stories of the upcoming races!

I agree with Dean about parkrun and tempo - also, I find with tempo running it's better still to find a route that is more challenging than you would do for rep sessions (i.e. more undulating) as race course are hardly ever super flat. Results in building strength and confidence for those annoying little snags mid-race!
  • Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Fair does Gul D. I suppose if the main racing day is a Sunday, you have to occasionally miss some. At least long runs can be done before hand!

Matt - yes, in one way. In another way, if you don't pick the right sort of profile course, you can find you either overdo it, to still hit the right pace, or have to rely heavily on the "BS calculator" to convince yourself it was the right level :)

My old route to rampage across town was decent, a few roads, a few ups and downs, a bit of pedestrian action, but decent enough to keep the right pace. Not sure if it's viable for a Sat morn versus weekdays, as looking back it was taking a few risks!
    I do run to music, but unlike a lot of runners I see, I hold the pod so i can turn off completely at any even slightly awkward moment where maximum senses are needed!
  • Options
    RicFRicF ✭✭✭
    Re: The mg thing.

Bus, I use some from Solgar.

Wool,

There isn't really a recommended % for magnesium. It's a mineral which the body uses and cheerfully ejects as required. If you take too much, you'll simply need the loo.

The optimum amount is a level just below that.

Now I take two or three tablets daily. Each tablet is 200g.

If I forget to take any at all, I soon notice.

Can't all be quackery. Though when I mentioned magnesium to the medics, they batted it away as irrelevant.
     That begs a question. If all the stuff I've read about the stuff is actually irrelevant, are we dealing with fraud? 

Accidents on the bike? so far nil. But one incredible near miss, twenty five years ago.

I was going down a main road doing about 25mph (slightly downhill), when I approached an area where there were cars parked both sides. There was car coming the opposite way and plenty of room for me.

Or so I thought.

About a millisecond after entering the gap, I heard a brief toot from a car horn behind me, followed a split second later by a large white van which passed me doing 50mph plus (30mph limit), missing me by about 1mm.

He kept going. As did I. Really really fast (A strava segment record pace for sure) I caught up with him at the next set of lights, pulled alongside, and as he wound down his window, I said gasping for breath, 'Are you nuts? you missed me by inches'.

His reply, "It's not my fault. You're on a bike". 

Forget it!

I went a different route after that. And always wary for the clown over takers.
    Actually, I can hear really aggressive drivers coming up behind me.
    It's all in the sound and how fast it approaches. It's also possible to detect if they aren't too bothered about giving you some space.

🙂

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2018
    Wasn't there some nonsense clip on Fb recently about how wearing helmets for cyclists is more harmful than not? The ludicrous logic, being that if a driver sees a cyclist doesn't have one on, they'll be more wary, as they are more vulnerable!?

On another note, after all the 15-10-5min talk, it's been changed to 6x1mile off 90secs at 5.52, due to a big week, and Gosport 5k Tuesday
    (apologies for the  now irrelevant debate!!)
  • Options
    RicFRicF ✭✭✭
    Nothing around here is irrelevant SG.

Tomorrow I'm loosely planning a long run off road around the woods. A run which I hope doesn't become irrelevant.

There's been a couple of set backs for me lately, due to the training reaching into areas where I haven't gone for a long time. That's what happens when previous limits are surpassed. Well for me at any rate.

Should be ok. I did nine miles yesterday, double bike today.

If the run doesn't come off, I'm probably out of the RNR. 
    Lots of runners have done this event carrying injuries, even knowing they were injured.
    Not that keen myself.

🙂

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Well, let's hope it does comes off old son.

As that massive leg run promises to be one heck of a race report.

Remind a brother when the event is?

• Options
    RicFRicF ✭✭✭
    Next Saturday, starting at 05:30. Which is the first wave.

Our team is on this one due to having an averaged estimated finishing time of around 28 hours.

I'm sitting here right now, thinking about whether or not to give the idea of doing the run, the possibility of consideration sometime.

Now that you've mentioned the potential 'race report'. The real incentive has been presented.

🙂

• Options
    ML84ML84 ✭✭✭
    Get it done Ric. You'll be right. 

Ipad has been on the blink as it keeps kicking me off the page. took an age to get through 81 unread posts. its good to see some new posters and with plenty of scope to take some big chunks off their PB's. 
    Dachs summary certainly had me laughing. I'm still yet to get rumbled having a number two outdoors despite racking up 100s whilst out running. 

I run for the love of it. If I didn't race again it probably wouldn't bother me. I'd still run everyday, coming up for 2.5 years now. 

Had a great weekend up Fort William for the Ben Nevis race last weekend. It wasn't on my radar when the entries opened in feb as London was my target and it was a British champs race so it was full as per usual and I was just up there for the jolly as a few running pals were doing the race. 
    Plan was to set off before the race and go up and down the tourist route which is a couple of miles longer than the race route. Noticed a strava segment which was solely sticking to the tourist route and going up and down but rucked it up by taking a wrong path on the way up. Basically jogging all the way up with a couple of little scrambles over rocks and passing folk took 1.14. Pretty warm till halfway and then into the cold mist and it was really cold at the summit. Quick turn around then back down and watched the winner Finlay Wild pass me who recorded his 9th straight win. 
    Loads of runners out on the beer into the early hours and a 6 hour drive home Sunday morning.

Decided on doing a fell race on Thursday instead of a track session. Only a short one at 4.6 miles but the last 3.6 miles were bloody grim. My clubmate was running who posted a 30.50 at trafford10k last week (his pb was 32.30 as he'd not run one for ages)  and second at Snowdon mountain race so no chance of the win. In his last 5 fell races I think he's broke 4 course records. 

I was second after the first climb which was about a mile but my legs were empty and I was passed. The gap between the front two gradually opened although I ended up a minute clear of 4th. Running my first English champs race next Saturday so it'll be good to see how far down the field I come. 
    Really is horses for courses as some 68 min half runners don't make the top 20 yet someone who runs 33/34 mins for 10k can do. 
  • Options
    Yeah, just shows how some runners are just better/worse on rough terrain Matt. Still good work on the mid week fell race!

Hazel - that solves a little mystery then :smile:

Right - got to find some motivation for my LSR now! Moved forward a day as I'm hoping to go into London to watch the last day of the T of B tomorrow, and will be on the beer this afternoon as its our annual street party!

• Options
    RicFRicF ✭✭✭
    Three hours of easy running, three bottles of Boost and 20 miles of MT done.

Shame the Garmin couldn't last the course, giving up the ghost at 18 miles. Need an upgrade.

Two weeks back I gave up: Alcohol, chocolate, crisps, sources of refined sugar, and obvious fat such as cheese.

I also have high blood pressure and high levels of cholesterol.

Obviously!

According to the BBC, I have the heart age of someone two years older. Seems I need to be less obese and take some exercise. 

🙂

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2018
    That alcohol is gonna be hard for you ric!

Half time at charlton v wycombe, so a quick session report.

6x1mile at 5.52. Off 90secs.
    Fancied it after recent sessions, but it still wasn't exactly dossing about. Saturday mornings have long been my favoured rest day.

Rampage across town rather than track so different each mile with some having less barriers than others ie road crossings, people etc.

Came out 5.51,5.50,5.49,5.53,5.49,5.50

Those are without any rounding as per website strava 
    (I notice mobile strava gives just mile splits, so apart from mile 1 they useless as all show mid 6s - taking in bits of revovery.

However pretty much bang on target.
    Only about 60mins after to eat, bath and walk a mile to the station, so a bit tight for time.

No satisfaction when its too easy though is there!!
  • Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Matt, you must race northern son.
    Itd be a waste not to. Every race you do shows that.

Bus, what sort of posho areas have annual street parties ;)
  • Options
    RicFRicF ✭✭✭
    edited September 2018
    SG, once I've gone a couple of days without drinking, I don't miss it at all.

Just so long as the stuff I drink isn't sitting there needing to be dealt with.

Good session there, but over cooking the pace by 0.473% must be a concern  :)

Where I live, if there was a street party they'd have to have the army on stand-by for when the fighting starts.

🙂

• Options
    Little race report from this morning's Stratford 10k. Not sure it will be of the epicness of SG though!  :dizzy:

37.44 for 12th place this morning, over the moon with that!
    I know the course well so knew there were two hills in the first half. There was a fairly strong headwind as well, controlled the effort well and didn't panic when a 6.15 2nd mile came up. Came through 5k in 19.01.

Next 3k were on the greenway with a slightly lose surface which I find difficult. Settled into a good rythym with a small group of 4. Pushed on at 7k to drop the group and work towards a couple of runners in the distance.

Passed 3 people in the next 2k as I got near the finish, a few tight twists and turns in the final 800m. Got passed in the final 200m by a runner so I through everything at it to try and catch him and make sure no one else got past! The quirks of chip timing mean I was actually placed ahead of him. 

Really happy with how I paced that with a negative split and my highest ever race finish!
  • Options
    Good work Stevie and quality negative split!

You are not going to be able to compete with SG's reports without some detailed preamble about the parking problems though :-)

No fighting at the street party yesterday, though we did have an armed police officer on hand (really!)
  • Options
    RicFRicF ✭✭✭
    Commendable race and report Stevie. 

The tales of how we go about our training and races, always goes down well around here. Even the descriptions of how it all went wrong are worth a punt.

Today I managed a weekend combination I haven't pulled off in twenty years. 20 miles on foot yesterday and 50 miles plus today on the bike.

Out of curiosity I'd swallowed one of those 'you-know-what' tablets before heading out on the wheels. Expected to run out of gas at some point as usual. However, not today.

Might be a coincidence.

🙂

• Options
    PeteMPeteM ✭✭✭
    Nice race StevieWh; doesn't sound like an easy course either and must have been very satisfying doing the last 5k so fast. Almost at my 10k pb (37'32) now and sure you'll go below that very soon.

Great training combo Ric; you sound in tip top form for your Round Norfolk leg. 

Weekend double for me was short in distance and a day early. Ealing mile race on Friday which I did in 5'30 for 6th (not as impressive as it sounds as the field only 17!). Actually pretty pleased with that though as 4 seconds quicker than my track mile race time from a month or so back.

Yesterday tried the new Marlow parkrun continuing an effort to try all the new local'ish ones that have opened recently. Odd course; two laps of a tight field to start with meant early overlapping problems, then an out and back over some fairly rough terrain over a pontoon bridge and alongside the Thames. 1st guy was soon clear so was in a group aiming for 2nd; gradually got ahead and pretty much kept the same margin till the end for 2nd in 18'53. That's now 6 top 3's at 6 different parkruns in 6 weeks (of course without being first at all, 3 2nd's and 3 3rd's). Nice to have a Sunday off racing (and running at all) for once but still 49k on the bike done to blow the cobwebs off all the beers drunk whilst watching the England game last night. Reminded today how useful Sunday racing is to keep the alcohol quota modest ;)
  • Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Stevie Who, I'll always read your username with an "O" on the end :)

Good time and hard to see that you wouldn't beat that in time with a flat course.

Ric, as long as you make it through the post Norfolk drug tests ;)

Pete, I can't even imagine how or why they'd do a parkrun in Higginson Park!

Presumably the 2 laps are in the front part near the café and kids' playground?

And then out and back on the Thames Path?! That must be a right crowd scene on the way back!?

Limited the long run to a 10 today. That felt a little leg weary for a very rare time, which probably makes sense after 10mile featuring 6miles threshold yesterday.

Earned a CR yesterday, without realising. But lost it again today, as obviously the geezer I took it off wasn't having it. In fairness, he's taken it back as a 10miler with 6min miling tempo, so not too bad. Although i'm sure he knew what he was doing!

58mile week then, had a lovely long nap. It's a rock n roll business!

• Options
    PeteMPeteM ✭✭✭
    SG, spot on with the Marlow course and the fact it is crowded coming back with so many going the other way. Would also be better if they did 1 of those small laps of the park at the end then at least you wouldn't be lapping others after leas than a k!  Made that suggestion to the RD after but doubt they'll change it. 
  • Options
    Not really going to work if it becomes popular that one! Good time though Pete and a cracking run of results!
    Who is doing 10 mile 6mM tempos on our patch then SG?

Good work on the miles Ric - impressive weekend. Never did find out whihc particular brand of C6H6MgO7 you are using? Sounds like it's gotta be worth a try!

T of B in London today. Wandered round most of the course, as it was laps and saw them in multiple places 
    - jeez those boys are fast!
  • Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Chris Rennick, Bus? Looks to be an Oxfordshire background. Sub 3 marathon recently ish (I think), but not huge amounts of racing.

Attempting 10miles at 6 dead is quite a big sounding run, especially with no warm up (unless that was logged separately, which It may have been)

Also, not sure how what looks to me to be 45secs or so over 6 dead, is titled 23 secs over target, unless for some reason 6.02 was the aim?

Looks like he got HR up to 174 a mere 3km in, but pretty much averaged that the rest of the way.

It's funny how much difference 10secs can make to a pace. I did numerous 6min miling 6-7milers, but 5.52 is certainly a tougher zone.

When the 15-10-5min version comes up, I think i'll need to do that on the track!

Pete, they'll probably be too stubborn, or have looked at that. That highly criticised company F3 do 5ks around Higginson Park. I think the route shares some of the same, but they take a right at the end of the Thames Park and loop back on another lane. That probably sounds a more sensible version to be honest, but maybe they want to literally do as much as they can in the actual park? Not round the outskirts.

• Options
    Nice bios Hazel and StevieWh - both early on in the improvement curve. Stevie with an 18.09 5k you will be taking loads off your half and marathon times. I was going to say 10k ... but you've already taken loads off there ! Congratulations on that run. I'm sure we'll bump into each other round Birmingham races with times like that !

My own brief bio is that I started running aged 43 (now 48). I joined a local running club realising I didn't have the foggiest about training and one of the lads there recommended the Runnersworld forum for training tips (and said he'd had some good advice from a forum legend called StevieG!). I started reading this thread fairly early on when I was running 21 mins at parkrun and couldn't believe the times I was seeing people on here turn in. It all seemed incredible. I did get on the speedwork bandwagon for a bit (largely inspired by the sort of sessions I'd seen on this thread) but that ended in tears (of the hamstring sort) and no improvements. I settled things down, ran mostly easy by heart rate, and stuck to a bog standard marathon effort tempo run most weeks, with a long run at the weekend, and suddently saw lots and lots of improvements. I ran my first marathon in 2016, and then 6 months later London where I was unlucky enough to be running past that wobbly legged Chorlton chap at the end, and my callous indifference made the News At Ten. London killed me though - gluteal tendinopathy ensued with a long, long rehab.

So this year has been a bit crap, and inconsistent, where both spring target half marathons got cancelled due to the snow, and then a niggling injury took over. Highlights though, were a sub 36 10k in May, and a recent 17.22 5k. I did a bit of a reset back in June, and started building up for a marathon (which hits in a fortnight) and have ran 1.24, and 1.22 halves just recently over undulating courses, in marathon effort runs. (I did race today but more of that later). If Reg is that kid that does brilliantly without doing any work, I'm that kid that attempts to cram everything in at the last minute. The marathon build up as been pretty short - just August into this first week of September - and it will all probably go horribly wrong due to a lack of LSRs. However a prolonged spell of high mileage before London 2017 kind of left me feeling fairly wretched and infirm when it came to race day, so at some point I'll find that happy balance. Hopefully by London 2019 !

I have a little bit to contribute to the magnesium discussion. I'll hold my hands up and say I am pretty leery about taking supplements. It's not quite right to be saying that there are no harmful effects - google magnesium toxicity. No idea if such effects are achievable through a supplementation regime though. I do eat lots of almonds which are high in the stuff and it's important to have it in your diet but ... how much supplementation and how often are not easy questions to answer unless you are looking at your diet overall.  I was going to watch this at some point probably because it panders to my own beliefs ... https://www.vitamaniathemovie.com/
  • Options
    hi.i would like to run a marathon under 2:40 in a next march but not sure how many miles a week I need to do.recently I did a marathon in 2:56 with 290m ascent and then back to start.i averaged last 12 weeks before marathon not counting marathon week, 32miles a week.i know is not a lot but that's about what I can do atm.
  • Options
    RicFRicF ✭✭✭
    Bus, this is the stuff. Can buy it anywhere.

Open comment:
    Not generally into food supplements myself. So much of it is yap-quackery based on relieving people of their money. This seems different.

Yes, we get it from a normal diet - if it's in the normal diet to start with. 
    Best to have a look at the hows and whys before casting it aside as an irrelevance.

I took it for several reasons. 1. I have to take masses of calcium. 2. I run and cycle a lot. 3. It's odds on that the alcohol removed it. 4. My diet wasn't going to cover that lot.

Less well appreciated is that stress affects the levels.
    If the body gets into the anxiety, fight or flight region, the body rids the blood stream of this mineral.
    It doesn't get rid of it's sister mineral calcium for the same reason.

In nature, magnesium is common, calcium is not. So the body hangs on to calcium and cheerfully dumps magnesium. We just don't replace it.

I had all of that. So I took it. 

🙂

• Options

Haha SG its actually a What rather than a Who :) Good work on the 6 x mile. That and the 10m tempo run are my favourite sessions. I definitely think I would be quicker on a flatter course, I mean its not hugely hilly by any standard but enough to slow you down. I may look for a 10k after Abingdon for a different focus.

Yes Muddy, probably will see you round! Do you run for your club much? I'm in the process of joining Knowle & Dorridge so hopefully will be turning out for them in the future

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Small world there Muddy! Was that Big Bad Bob, or someone else?! Appreciate the accolade though ;)
    I'm not sure if it's a good or bad thing that you have to click into a profile to see how many posts someone has made now.

Zozef, great name, especially as you're the number 2. Did someone already have that name?
    No marathon expert myself, but one thing's for sure. If you're comfortably going sub 3 on "dossing about" mileage, you certainly have a lot of potential!

Woke up a little knackered, so did the classic "con" trick that i'd just go out for 4-5 and see how it went. Obviously did the usual 6 in the end.

Easy runs are coming out a bit slower in the zone now (7.15s sometimes, instead of 7) , which makes sense, and is no bad a thing.

4 later, 4 tomorrow, then a half day to get the last 5k of the "summer" (stretching from May to now) in.