Options

Moraghan Training - Stevie G

Comments

• Options

There are no fast halves nearby, SG - so it's either travel to find one or don't bother (and just do a slower local one). But it'd depend on work anyway, and also have to go to the US at around the time I'd want to be doing one.

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Scott, wouldn't agree with that mate. A pint or so of blood probably doesn't overly affect your day to day life too much, but it's got to affect performance.

I'm sure everytime I've beaten Crispy, he's given blood the day before imageimage

• Options
    ML84ML84 ✭✭✭
    What about Edinburgh half in May Lit?
  • Options

I want to do a half about 5 weeks before the London Marathon, Matt. And as the marathon's at the end of April I won't be ready for a half by then.

Also no-one in my club would touch anything organised by the people who run Edinburgh half, it seems.

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

There must be something doable around your old area presumably? At least that way it'd only be a couple of hundred miles, rather than another 150 on top!

Ideally something that you can sign up pretty late to, in respect to the work/travel scenario, as Reading seem to be bandying a 9th Jan date around!

Presumably the halves near you would be decent option for doing your 12/14mile MP sessions in? Can't remember if you did that last year, but Johnas always did that and looked a good idea, if you can hold the discipline to not monster it too fast

• Options
    Stevie G wrote (see)

There must be something doable around your old area presumably? At least that way it'd only be a couple of hundred miles, rather than another 150 on top!

No, cos that's why I did Reading last year!

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

so there's not one fast half marathon in spring in between Scotland and the south of England?

That's a drag image

northern lot..help her out

• Options

There might well be, but there wasn't one in the East Midlands area, and given that I have a lot of friends and family in the south east, it has always made a lot more sense to travel there for races* than it would have done to go to other parts of the country where I'd have to pay for accommodation on top of all the other costs. I think I've only ever paid for a hotel for a race once, and that was in Scotland.

*edit: obviously, this was when I lived in Nottingham and could pick which direction to travel in!

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

did a bit of sniffing around through the fastest times of last year, and what about some of this lot...

Wilmslow  (late March, maybe too close to the big day?)

Retford (no I'd never heard of it, but apparently in the exact area you just came from?)

Warrington

• Options

I considered Retford last year but decided against it; can't remember why. Maybe because it was so small and run on open roads? Can't do Wilmslow (or Reading, for that matter) as I will be in the US for work.

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

real shame with Wilmslow looking at it, it'd have been perfect.,...

didn't realise London is so late this year, 26th April, so Wilmslow would have been 5 weeks before hand, and looking at last year Reading was 6 weeks before London, so 1 week would have been manageable...

I'm sure Dean for one could have vouched for Wilmslow's fastitude...

reading around the subject in the reviews, some say Retford is a comfortable course, and others talk of hills. You probably get that at Reading too though...maybe that's the stand out contender so far then...

unless someone has a better bet?

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

apologies scrub Warrington too..seems to be a September job

• Options

If I'm going to do a race with a small field and hills I might as well stay at home and do Alloa.

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

true.

oh well, this is the fun part, picking the races. I love that part.

it's the doing them that's harder work image

bed time. happy chrimbo ya'llll.

• Options
    ML84ML84 ✭✭✭
    Great northwest half on 22 feb in Blackpool.

What about a flat 20 miler? Trimpell 20 in Lancaster in March I think.
  • Options
    Merry Christmas, all. Just done my Christmas Day hill reps, a little treat to myself!
  • Options
    DeanR7DeanR7 ✭✭✭

Just a quick lull before the day gets hectic.  Merry Xmas all.

lit/SG - wilmslow is fast and plenty in lits target area to run with. There is also stafford half a couple weeks before wilmslow normally. i haven't run it but it has a reputation of being decent.  Though not sure of the front end quality. Wrexham bakery half is in feb.  flat and dull apparently.

andy - hill reps on Xmas day??? Very keen image

• Options

Thanks Matt & Dean - will check out Blackpool and Stafford. I have been for a 5-mile run wearing a santa hat, have made some bread sauce and wrapped some sausages in bacon, and am now sipping a pre-lunch gin and tonic. Happy Christmas!

• Options
    ML84ML84 ✭✭✭
    9.5 miles in 60 mins this morning averaging 6.20 pace. Picked it up in the last 15 mins. Made room for a few pints. image merry Christmas!
  • Options
    RicFRicF ✭✭✭

Hope everyone has had a good Christmas.

My hoped for race didn't pan out as I've finally been nailed with the bugs floating around the household. Generally, I felt quite good so I went out for a very easy jog yesterday which involved wearing hat, gloves and a scarf.

I definitely won't be going for an easy jog today.

🙂

• Options

Get well soon Ric. 

I hope you all got what you wanted/needed/deserved! We did parkrun and was surprised at the turnout. Easy bike today. 

• Options
    RicFRicF ✭✭✭

Cheers IC, have a good one. Mind any ice too.

🙂

• Options

The old Chrimbo bug eh Ric?Speedy recovery...

Hope everyone had a good Christmas image

Cabbage patch 4 for me today, which turned out to be lightly short  - 3.94 by Garmin. Interesting race - very low key (about 100 runners) but pleasant, and aside form weaving in and out of families and dogs on the Thames path between Twickenham and Richmond, fairly flat and fast. Ended up doing a pretty long warm up as the race actually started 25 mins late due to last minute entries - it was far too cold to stand around waiting!

Despite all the turkey, wine, cheese and port yesterday I managed a pretty reasonable showing, with 3rd overall and average 5:49 pace. my last two races have both now shown me the benefit of a slightly more controlled start, with a stronger finish and more consistent pace overall. I shared the lead with a young lad for the first 3 miles but was overtaken by a lurker with about a mile to go. nearly got the lead back after he was very nearly wiped out by a car emerging from a side road - very nifty leap to the left and a lean over the bonnet and he barely missed a step though! Second place guy overtook with about 400m to go. I probably might have been able to chase back, but was perilously close to seeing some of that cheese and port againimage. He puked on the line - I was fine for once!

SG/Philip - did you guys decide on a plan for tomorrow? Not sure what my legs will be like yet.

• Options

Great run/report, Bus, is puking a regular occurrence? 

I have come to realise how flat it is where I live, although I kind of knew already! Spending Christmas in Pembrokeshire and it's quite hilly here. My arse is sore from all the running up hills. 

7.5m today with an easy opening 9mm with the girls in the rain. I was getting too cold at this point so I had to ditch them and push on image.

I should break through 40 miles this week for the first time, with 30 done so far and no long run yet.

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Bus, I'd have been super flexi on time, if my old pals hadn't insisted on a midday meet up tomorrow!

Hence a planned early, yet not as early as my usual Sunday runs.

If I move it back to 9am, would you fancy a 14? Be good to see you and it definitely would make it easier on the mind. Whilst still allowing me to finish, change, eat and get back out for midday!

• Options
    DeanR7DeanR7 ✭✭✭

Good post Xmas racing bus.

its snowing here , should make my Xc hill rep session tomorrow funimage

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

apologies Bus, completely only focused on your last line. 3rd is tasty. we can go into it more if you can make tomorrow

Dean, stay safe old son....it's end of year round up time in a mere 5 days. which should give me time to dress my lack of races or anything too special into a positive!

• Options

Andrew - good way to end the year. Yes, unfortunately retching at the end of races i my claim to fame on here - there is photographic and TV evidence tooimage

No snow here yet Dean, but it is being threatened.

Sorry SG - much as I'd love to come out for a sociable run, after only a few hours sleep both Christmas Eve and last night, I'm desperate for a long leisurely lay-in!!!

Will most likely rest up, re-charge batteries and do a long one Sunday....

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

I suspected it wasn't going to happen Bus, so I got to sleep, and set to wake up for 7.15, and out by 8.15 or so.

14 at 6.59 average. Some very windy fare in one direction.

Saw young Phil, and shared 1/4mile of a run when I was about 12miles in. Had to usher him out of the middle of the road a couple of times, I'd forgotten Phil takes the phrase "road running" literally, but I like to not give cars any chance to smash me!

Always a good feeling to get that week's long one done. And as always, I wonder how miserable doing 17-22 milers would be for marathon training!!

• Options
    Stevie G wrote (see)

Always a good feeling to get that week's long one done. And as always, I wonder how miserable doing 17-22 milers would be for marathon training!!

Some people like running, SG.