Options

Moraghan Training - Stevie G

Comments

• Options
    ML84ML84 ✭✭✭
    Sharp reps dean, any ideas of what the tastier sessions/paces will be?

Is anyone doing the sliverstone half?
  • Options
    DachsDachs ✭✭✭
    Simon Coombes 2 wrote (see)

I think about sub 30 10k's when I occasionally do a sub 3 min k in a 3 or 5k. Makes you think...just need to do 10 of these back to back image

Don't think I've ever done a sub 3 kilometre outside a 1500m race, so it's not one that ever crosses my mind.

So, mid 13s for a 5000 Jonny? Any idea on what selection standards are likely to be for Rio, or is that not something you're looking at?

Fine reps Dean, looks like you're coming into shape.

Yesterday's session was 2 x 3m mini progression runs (after 3m warm up), so 5:54 / 5:33 / 5:13 and 5:51 / 5:34 / 5:17.  Aiming for half marathon pace in the middle there, so should be sub 5:30, but it was pretty hard to hit. 

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Did a 2.57 1k once. Although in fairness, the rest of the field ranged from a guy 40secs slower, to a 10year old. So not the best field to test it

12 at 6.57 pace today. Probably not a surprise to be a little tired and tight after the Monday drive, sleep in, and 200s yesterday.

But all done until Friday now image

Dachs, how the heck you can just smash lower quartile 5s at the end. Wow, furious.

I'm not quite looking forward to my Friday session. it's probably the hardest session i'll have done in 5 years, albeit not huge mileage total.

• Options
    DachsDachs ✭✭✭

What's the session SG?

• Options

Yes - please note the 'occasional' sub 3m 1k! Its often the first k of a shorter race when you realise you need to reign it in a bit...

Good session Dachs, low 5's post inters! and Dean, getting there now-looks good..

Stevie - Utd - Arse was it? United or Arsenal? I thought someone supported Wycombe on here?

Got let off a bit last night with 6 x 1200 on the grass (getting fed up with grass and mud now!!). As per I had to go off with Mr Kimpton, so got the shortest recovery. They were 3.56,3.52,3.52,3.52, 3.50,3.47 I think...I was looking at 3.10/15's for the 1k and then 35/40 ish for the extra 200m, so about there - coach seemed happy enough so that will do.

I think 30 x 200m on Thursday will get the legs moving )10 with 10 secs, 10 with 20 secs and 10 with 30 secs. I'm off work so can get on the local track before the kids!

• Options
    Reg WandReg Wand ✭✭✭

Good sessions above.

I have been doing stair reps about 10-15 a day to the throne (too much information?), hence no actual outdoor running since Sunday. I am starting to think I have some disease. I have been ill in one way or another all year.

Still when I do go for a run I expect I will be half a stone lighter.

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Dachs, 3miles continuous at 10k pace! I'll give it my best go and as always report back!

Simon, actually started supporting United first, in 1990, in that vague "follow your best pal's team" style. Then saw my first Wycombe game in 91. Roll onto 2015, and I've held Wycombe season tickets the last 18/19 years, and this is my second United season. Tends to work well that I pick 6-8 United games a season, and sell the rest onto pals/work people.

Needless to say I have to balance it out against the running, to keep fresh. Iron/Phil etc who travel extensively for work, fair play to you for keeping the training going well.

(ps if anyone ever wants a pair might be able to help you out sometime!)

Andrew, you sound pretty run down, although maybe this has been loitering for a while, and was coming out as niggles/muscular stuff?

ps finally found my workmate a Reading place. Delighted! He's leaving our work in 6-8 weeks (once he's found a way to tell the boss!), so it'll be a good send off gift for him.

• Options
    Reg WandReg Wand ✭✭✭

Stevie G is a great name for a United fan image

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

yep, our favourite hollywood passer wasn't really that well known back when I picked it in 2004!

Luckily, he'll quickly fade into nothingness after this season!

• Options

Dachs- yea the aim is 13.35 this season and qualification for Euro u23's in Tallin. Olympics may be a year to early as time needed is likely to be 13.15 or quicker but you never know. Senior Europeans and then a home world championships in 2017 may be more realistic. 

Stevie G- 3 miles at 10000m pace is brutal! 

• Options
    DachsDachs ✭✭✭

13:35?  Easy ... image

I could maybe do 3 miles at 10K pace in training on a good day on a track.  No chance on the road.  That's be 3 at 5:14.  No thanks.

• Options

JonnyD wrote (see)

Dachs- yea the aim is 13.35 this season and qualification for Euro u23's in Tallin. Olympics may be a year to early as time needed is likely to be 13.15 or quicker but you never know. Senior Europeans and then a home world championships in 2017 may be more realistic. 

I see the GB trials for the 10,000 will be at Highgate and the nights of the PBs. Qualifying time is 29:30

10,000m – 16 May 2015 – Highgate, London. Athletes wishing to compete should
    contact Martin Rush (mrush@britishathletics.org.uk);

• Options
    ML84ML84 ✭✭✭
    That does sound nasty SG.

Number 1 on the All TIme rankings for U20 at 10k too Jonny.

Andrew, its been a hell of a stop start year for you. Hopefully it's all in one dose for you and you can crack on after.

Great session there Simon. Still on the muddy grass when spring is upon us.image
  • Options
    DachsDachs ✭✭✭

30 x 200 - ouch!

Last night I was doing a 14 easy, which involved some pootling round the edge of the track during the club session, and I was idly wondering why my left thigh kept playing up every time I was at the track, whether I was doing reps or easy stuff, and not generally on other runs. Wondered if it was the surface, or the shoes. Then suddenly I realised it was bloody obvious. The constant left turning is putting a strain on that leg. As soon as I realised that, I went and did the rest of the run in the park. Can't believe it didn't occur to me before.

• Options
    DeanR7DeanR7 ✭✭✭

dachs, thats why i warm up and down going clockwise and rep anti clockwise image

• Options
    Aim for the moon Jonny! 13:35 is very fast, home world championships would be brilliant! It's such a shame in a way you missed the chance for London but no doubt 2020 you'll be in contention anyway if you choose to keep it up (and still younger than me now)

Some nice sessions going on again..

SC - those 1200s are good on grass and Dachs the 3miler reps look strong

3m at 10km pace doesn't seem as bad as other sessions to me but probably done properly whilst in good shape would be taxing...Maybe it was down to me improving last year but I would do 4m tempo a few seconds per mile outside goal pace and then went on to hit target at Eastleigh although maybe means I could have got more out of myself

Anyone in the southern relays? I got an "official" call up this week
    Pain is weakness leaving the body
  • Options
    Reg WandReg Wand ✭✭✭

After four days I finally felt confident enough to venture outside albeit probably malnourished and dehydrated! Had to run in the field next to my house, in case of emergencies. Quick warm up and 12 x 400m with 90 secs walk in between. Times were rubbish 80-89 into the wind on grass and with all the strength of a vegetarian. Still it's 3 miles running faster than HMP. 

Stomach seemed to cope with just a few grumbles on the last couple of reps and not a single dog tried to join in, despite one woman walking about 8 dogs, I say walking, it was more like herding.

Time for a nice lunch now.

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Dachs, those moments are frequent i find in running. When you do loads of stretching, something else aches, and the physio points out a massively obvious neglected one!

Just back from the Osteo, got a couple more really strong feeling stretches. So will look for improvement.

Might try and sneak on a track for that 10k sesh. 12 laps sounds mental, but gives a better chance of a go at it.

• Options
    DeanR7DeanR7 ✭✭✭

dachs - that 2*3m session was strong...is the half in march?

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Andrew, are you take that job by the way? Or are you waiting for a start date?

ps 30x200? That's a lot of reps. Unless it's along the lines of that session where you do one per min including recovery?

• Options
    PhilPubPhilPub ✭✭✭

Scott - I'll be at the Southerns.  We're getting two teams out and all being well I'll be at the lower end of a fast A team, rather than the top end of the B team.  (I did the fastest long leg for the B team last year after coming back from injury.)  Be good to see you.  I'm also doing Eastleigh.  Anyone else?

Jonny - congrats on Trafford.  Awesome stuff, different gravy!

• Options

I'd lose count doing 30x200.

Sg - Was it Ric that was on about niggles and such and suggested some fast running to unstick things? After trying to roll out my TFL or hip flexor earlier this week it got worse. It disappeared after Tuesday's interval session. Whodathunkit?

Glad you're on the up AG. Dean's recent training regime has obviously inspired your weight loss attempts.

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

possibly Iron, but I also have a PM from him telling me to ignore you lot when you were all telling me to do a race when I had a niggle.

So say both things, and one is going to be right. image

Apart from a strange red patch that's tender to the touch post Osteo beasting feels looser. Probably not a bad time to get a session in pre hard workout.

Will be interesting to run on a track again. I expect for a lap or 2 it'll feel great, constant, smooth and fast. Then the hard work reality will kick in!

• Options

Iron - yes lose count quite regularly! the 30 x 200 is one stolen from the missus and Bedford and county womens session apparently!

I like it - and yes Dachs my left leg was a bit tender at the end, not to mention my right heel (but we'll blunder on regardless..as usual!). The first set of ten have 10 secs recovery and are the hardest (about 36/37's), then the 10 with 20 secs recovery in around 35/36 and the last 10 with 30 secs recovery in about 34's. So they're not especially fast, but it's a good 40 minute workout with your heart rate high! It was good to get on there at 1.30 with no kids about

Matt - yes good to get on the hard stuff today - did say to Simmons that I was about done with grass! I'm trying to do track now each week instead of the grass.

Scott - I'll be at MK for the Southerns with Herne Hill. Just up the road for a change! Stevie - 2 season txts! impressive. I've just bought Bmth tickets for Ipswich away good Friday.Not going to help the training I can forsee (5.15pm ko!!) AG - Glad to see you are feeling better..

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Simon, I'm all over it this year. Done more Wycombe aways this year than probably the last 4 year. Throw in the odd game through Reading and Arsenal contacts, plus England games and it'll boil up to by far my highest amount of games seen in one season.

Just have to watch the rest and recovery, and not do anything stupid like have a 360mile trip the day before a race or anything!

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

like the breakdown of paces Simon.... I'm going to come at tomorrow's session with some mental games. Telling myself that the 200s on Tuesday, would have been 66second laps, so the 82 needed for 10k pace, is positively leisurely in comparison!

That ought to fool myself...for 1 lap image

• Options
    DachsDachs ✭✭✭

I tried to get a team together for the 12 stage, because we theoretically have a pretty strong team, but I had very little interest from our quicker guys. Shame, I was really up for it.

• Options

Is the 12 stage a UKA thing? 

• Options
    ML84ML84 ✭✭✭
    I left my first running club as they had no intention or ambition to enter a team into various road relays, the 6 and 12 stage. Getting a team for the fell relays was like a political campaign though.

Bizarrely my new club which is predominantly a fell running club have a really strong group of road runners.
  • Options
    DeanR7DeanR7 ✭✭✭

Looks like 200s were the session of choice last night.

mine were 16*200 off 200 jog rec. target was 31,  we were instructed to not go faster than 30 as it was train not strain.  So first 8 were 31s but second 8 were low 30s.  Felt controlled and could have gone faster so happy with them.