Options

Overdone it?

Comments

• Options

Lit - from that YouTube video from a speed point of view the decision looks marginal.

• Options
    PhilPubPhilPub ✭✭✭

Of course, after the first marathon I kind of got used to running a bit more mid-week and I've generally done a lot more MP work as part of the mid-week (Thursday) longish run, and/or a portion of the Sunday long run.

I wonder if this'll work, a nice colourful chart from earlier this year.  I wrote out a schedule for VLM and filled over the planned sessions in bold as I went along.  Obviously got a bit lazy with a few weeks to go, probably too tired to bother!  (This schedule doesn't include the 4x week gym sessions which, admittedly, I dropped for the last few weeks...)

https://dl-web.dropbox.com/get/Screenshot%20%288%29.png?w=AADSlF1i9RnwNVviYU0glpTuvuCjq2Q_NWYKQl0GACQxQw

• Options

PP - you need to try snipping? Full instructions from Chris a few pages backimage

• Options
    PhilPubPhilPub ✭✭✭

It's working isn't it??  It opens up all nicely when I click on it.

• Options
    Tommy2DTommy2D ✭✭✭

/members/images/707907/Gallery/Dropbox-1.PNG

That's what I get when I click on it...

• Options
    PhilPubPhilPub ✭✭✭

Ah, fekkin dropbox.  Hang on...

• Options
    Tommy2DTommy2D ✭✭✭

Cheers Phil, that's really interesting. Those Thursday sessions look pretty eye-watering to me!

• Options

What concerns me the most about that image is how Phil's ever going to catch up with his backlog of over 9000 e-mails. image

• Options

Right, so I'm BACK!!! image
    In the sense of: went for a 10-minute run last night sandwiched between 5 min powerwalks and it didn't hurt that much. Most excited about my 20-minute run tomorrow and if that doesn't hurt (much) either then I really can resume proper running.

Also:
    Skinny - if you keep watching the video people further down the field walk across the stepping stones, which are more slippery by then, so it would be quicker to just plunge through the river. Or swim.

Mace - I haven't done the modifications yet. image Though Phil's beautiful chart reminds me that I may also need to adapt the schedule for xc races.

• Options

Lit - great news that you're back running.

I watched the whole video - noticed that further down the field the stepping stones took longer but so did going through the river - anyway lets face it, if you don't go through the river you wouldn't feel like you had done it properly.

Saw another video of the start - never having done cross country for 33 years that looked pretty mental too - 1000 people charging downhill - I presume the river is at the bottom of the hill and then you have to run back up out of the valley?

If you travel to XC what sort of facilities do they have for afterwards - like showers and changing rooms? The Dovedale Dash didn't look like a race you could head straight to the pub after without a shower and a change of clothes.

EDIT: PS My inbox contains 8993 mails so at least I am nearly as good as Phil at not clearing out my inbox.

• Options

I found another video of the river from the other bank that you could actually see me in! The facilities there were a bit rubbish - at least there were toilets, but not enough (queue for portaloos or slightly shorter queue for ladies' toilet block but no flushing because ancient plumbing wouldn't cope with volume!). I think there was a tent with tea and coffee. I got changed in a ditch behind the car, while standing on plastic carrier bags.

League XC - I wouldn't necessarily expect showers though you might be lucky. But as long as you've got dry clothes on, if you are in the pub with a load of other people who've also just done a race, no-one's going to mind if you're a bit smelly.

EDIT:  you may be able to see me (in a borrowed club vest about 3 sizes too big) from 2:08 to 2:19, around the point where it is a lot quicker to wade than wait for the stepping stones. And yes, down the hill, through the river, up some more hills, back down, along a different bit of river and back up the hill.

• Options

Black top with gold stripe?

• Options
    macemace ✭✭✭

Light blue/white tent with 2 dark blue stripes i'd say image

Nice bit of x-training in there Phil. Extraordinary return for not really huge running miles though ?

Lit - i want to get more 20's in and more MP miles mid-week. Infact, first time i hardly got any MP miles in as i thought my MP was about 20 seconds slower than it actually was until 5 weeks out.

• Options

No - giant white man-vest with two horizontal blue stripes. Have I not complained about the horrible design enough? It's horrible. White vests are rubbish.

EDIT: x-post with mace. I didn't do that many actual mp miles either last time as I thought mp was about 10-20 secs slower than it turned out.

• Options
    macemace ✭✭✭

I guess it gets a bit easier to nail down what MP actually is with a bit of experience/racing.

Phil  - i assume your Mondays were easy days so them spinning sessions were light ones ? And were the Sunday long runs easy pace if no MP stated ?

• Options

Skinny. I have watched the video again carefully and would like to clarify that I have a much smaller arse than the girl you seem to have mistaken for me.

• Options

Right - okay I've had to go back and focus on both your arses now for about 5 or 6 replays - yours is definitely smaller and you get a good sight of hers just as she is getting out of the water and having an arse smaller than her is not necessarily a compliment!image

To be fair the first time I watched it once on a small screen and she appears and disappears at about the right time - you don't actually disappear until more like 2:21.

• Options

Grr. By the way, hope Mrs Skinny doesn't mind you studying videos of girls' arses on the internet.

• Options
    PhilPubPhilPub ✭✭✭

Girls' arses are what the internet was invented for.  Or is that cats?

mace - Yes, I like spinning classes the day after a long run.  I tend to do them pretty hard but it's exercising different muscles.  The gym sessions included quite a bit of threshold type sessions on the exercise bike, since I was preparing for the duathlon as well, and I think that was worth the equivalent of a good few easy running miles.

• Options
    PhilPub wrote (see)

Girls' arses are what the internet was invented for.  Or is that cats?

Or both at once?

http://www.xojane.com/files/100212YogaCat.jpeg

• Options

Is that your cat? I suppose another way of framing that question would be 'Is that your arse?' but that sounds a bit impolite.

Cats = creepy in my world - the dog hates them.

• Options

No it isn't. It is a random cat and arse found on the internet. That is a good stretch for runners though. And you can get a nice quad stretch by lifting your back foot off the ground and holding it in one or both hands.

In other news I managed 5 mins powerwalk/20 mins run/5 mins powerwalk today with practically no pain at all! Also my powerwalking pace is getting pretty impressive at consistent sub 12:30m/m. Proper running tomorrow. image

• Options

You must nearly have gone as far today as you'll go tomorrow? Well done anyway - glad to hear you are back in action.

My 5 day week started on Wednesday and squeezed in 32 miles with 22 of them on Sat and Sunday which is most I think I've ever run in two days.

Saturday should have been Friday but work is difficult at moment. Anyway I've got a rest day tomorrow as flying to US for a few days so if I hadn't swapped would have been 2 rest days in 3 which doesn't make much sense either (coach didn't know about US trip when set the week sessions).

10 miler was a new one on Saturday. 3m WU then 6m at Steady but with 10 * 75m strides thrown into the mix - this kept the pace quite high and most miles actually came in around MP pace (made up of most of the mile at around 7:10 pace and then 150m of strides).

10 strides is quite a lot - by last few I was feeling it.

Running in Denver is always a bit of a nightmare - meetings start at 8am so will need to be eating my breakfast no later than 7am which means a 10 mile run would have to start about 5:30am (sooner really if going to stretch properly afterwards) - as I don't sleep anyway though this shouldn't be too much of a problem but I'm always tired and air is pretty thin (being a mile above sea level)

Anyway got about 12 hours in a plane to look forward to tomorrow. I will also be 7 hours behind UK so will just catch up on any news (such as Chris's race report)each night - by which time you will all be asleep.

• Options

3.33 miles of which 2.53 were actual running, for 20 minutes, at 7:54 pace. I have filled in the running part (and from Friday's 10 minutes) in Scott E style on my training spreadsheet, for a massive weekly total of 3.74 miles. image Might try 4 miles at easy pace tomorrow.

12 hours in a plane - ouch! Make sure you do do plenty of stretching - I blame this summer's groin niggle on being a passenger on a car journey to Scotland and back.

• Options
    Tommy2DTommy2D ✭✭✭

Have a good trip Skinny, hope you manage to get some decent training in whilst you're out there.

Sounds promising with regards to your injury Lit, hopefully there's no reaction to your run tomorrow.

Spent the past hour trying to decide which spring marathon to do, still haven't made my mind up. Current options are Manchester, Lochaber (Fort William), Worcester or Bungay Black Dog.  

• Options

If in doubt, always pick the one with the stupidest name, Tommy.

• Options

Tommy - Nice selection there.  How did you come up with the shortlist?  Just take the furthest one away in each direction?

Re: arses: I've viewed and re-viewed the segment of that Dovedale Dash clip and can't anyone remotely feminine in a white and blue hooped vest.  Looks good fun though.  Still pencilled in if it convenient. 

PP/Mace - I've been tempted to look for a second hand turbo for recovery sessions; however, I've just started reading Julian Goater's 'The Art of Running Faster' - seems like a good read so far - and the first chapter is all about recovery runs and how they are important for developing technique.  Might get one anyway as it will be easier for childcare if we can do sessions at home.  Easier to to keep score watching UniChal on a bike than whislt doing pushups too.

Skinny - you do get about.  Get a treadmil and some video conferencing kit, but arrange it so it only films your upper half.  Shirt, tie and shorts.  No one would notice.

I've pushed to boat out a bit this week.  Only thirty miles, but that has included 9Mw5M@85-90%; 6Mw6x400m hill reps; and 9Mw 3M@85%.  

• Options

Lou - do you run with a HRM then? if so what's easy running as a % because the above means nothing to me really.

Cheers Skinny (bored in airport lounge)

PS I though my guess on the outfit was risky if I got wrong one (which I did) - but stating there are no feminine runners at all in the right colours is a little harsh image

• Options

Either Lou was watching the wrong vid or my giant borrowed man vest made me look like a teenage boy.

Anyway. I did 5.23 miles at easy pace (just!) in the dark and the rain this morning and it felt amazing. image