Options

P&D Autumn Marathon Training Thread 2014

Comments

• Options
    booktrunkbooktrunk ✭✭✭

Scott: I'm sweet n innocent!! Honestly!! 

*innocent whistle* 

• Options

Just downloaded that online mag 15West will read through it over the next couple of days and see if its any good.

LFR: naughty BT enticing you over to the Ultra's

• Options

Mile marker: I have a 7mile race next weekend I will probably do and will try and book at least 1 half and 1 10km before the October marathon just not sure what or when yet

• Options

Well thats impressive, by refreshing the page it somehow managed to re-send my last 2 messages again!

• Options
    andrews148andrews148 ✭✭✭

Nope, definitely not racing as I haven't trained for it. If I wasn't running for free, having deferred last year, I wouldn't have entered. 

This way I get water supplied on my long run and get to run with some other people.

A few colleagues and friends are running, so it will be good to meet up with them at the finish.

MileMarker, I did go to the doctorr, but he didn't seem very sure and gave me antihistamines to take ?? I'm not going to. He wants to wait a bit before "bombarding my chest with xrays"

• Options

St Albans half for me this Sunday.  It will be the longest I've run since London and I'm a week off plan so anything could happen, painfest and gurning spring to mind though.

• Options
    15West15West ✭✭✭

Hello. Went out early for my 16mi as my OH and daughter kindly took over dog walking duties. Managed to stay dry until last 30mins when the rain started and the last 10mins the heavens opened and it all got a bit silly. Good run though. Enjoying listening to music again, listening to old gems. Is there a better song for running than The The's "This is the day"?

• Options
    MadbeeMadbee ✭✭✭
    Hmm, that sounds frustrating andrews. Hopefully it'll be as simple as allergies and the antihistamine will sort you out.

Macca, good luck at Snorebans!

Nice one Westy, I never mind getting wet but can be miserable when it's prolonged sogginess so glad you missed most of the weather.

I just slogged round a parkrun PW. Hated it.
  • Options

Macca: Good luck at St Albans! 

Good running 15West, nice mileage image

Madbee: good park running! 

13.6miles for me this morning, but unlike 15West I only managed to avoid the rain for the first 2 miles so looked like a drowned rat by the time I got home, decided not to do park run due to the rain either. Longest run since the marathon and I felt it at the end.

• Options
    MennaniaMennania ✭✭✭

Oooh 15 w - Besides running music is another thing I love, albeit I hate most modern music - Try 'Race for the prize' by the Flaming Lips or ''keep the car running' by Arcade Fire, or 'Winter Hill' by Doves, or ...........I could just go on and on. Would love to hear what everyone elses run playlist is like

• Options
    MadbeeMadbee ✭✭✭

Menn, my current run playlist consists of MT podcasts image  I have all sorts on there though.  My favourite stuff to run to is sort of cheerful indie rock like The Fratellis and The Zutons.  I keep meaning to listen to some Arcade Fire - all the people I know who like what I like rave about them.

Well done on the longer run Scott, it'll feel like no time before 13 miles is something you do three times a weekimage

• Options
    MadbeeMadbee ✭✭✭

How stupid does it sound to do two 'races' in a weekend..?  I'm booked in for the Northumberland Coastal Run (which I have no intention of racing - it is 14 miles and picturesque and partly trail - I just want to enjoy it!), but there is a half marathon the day before which I also quite fancy doing - again, I probably wouldn't really race it as it doesn't look particularly PB friendly.  Both are a good long way out from Chester, it's about week 2 or 3 of the training plan, and I'm wondering if it would be good to have some back to back MLRs (possibly with a bit of marathon pace thrown in for fun).  I know it's nothing like the plan, but does it sound suicidal? 

• Options
    MennaniaMennania ✭✭✭

Madbee - I would MP the first one and lsr the second - sounds like a good weekend!

• Options
    15West15West ✭✭✭

Madbee - go for it...and maybe do as Men says with paces...plus have a couple of easy days after to recover...

• Options
    MileMarkerMileMarker ✭✭✭

Hello. Good running 15W, Scott and Madbee- I also managed a pw at first parkrun post marathon. +1 for MP the first (or maybe a section of it) and lsr the second.

Andrews I wouldn't take the antihistamine either unless you'd been allergy tested. Has the chest been any better?

Menn/15W- great choices there, Arcade Fire- 'wake me up' came up on shuffle during my LSR earlier, Ash, Mercury Rev, Stone Roses, amongst others all kept me going too oh and The High 'Box set go'  and McAlmont and Butler 'Yes' put in an appearance too. The Coral 'Dreaming of you' is another favourite when running. I could go on....

Having said all that I don't listen to music during quality sessions  usually just on GA, recovery and LSRs

Managed to dodge the rain this morning to bring up 60 for the last 7 days ahead of starting the schedule this week.

• Options

Madbee: all sounds fine to me, would be some good mileage to get in the legs. As long as you use them as training runs image

Some good mileage this week MileMarker and good work on rain dodging. 

Typically its quite nice here now, where was it this morning though on the run...hmm

• Options

Afternoon,

Good LR's amonst today's runs. 

I wasn't lucky with the weather either - got soaked within 15 minutes of my LR, a tad over 17 miles. Rain still better than soaring temps for me.

1 more week to go until starting.

whats the general consensus on average weekly base  mileage to warm up for 70mile plan?

• Options
    15West15West ✭✭✭

For anyone who lives near a morrisons, I suggest you check out their rhubarb crumble. That is all.

• Options
    15West15West ✭✭✭

Oh, and runnersworld isn't working for me on chrome.

• Options
    andrews148andrews148 ✭✭✭

JustRunning, I'd say around 45-50 miles per week.

• Options
    NayanNayan ✭✭✭

That rhubarb crumble sounds good. If anyone can recommend where to get an American (not English) style cherry pie I'd be very grateful. 

• Options
    SGB1953SGB1953 ✭✭✭

Please remove me from the list of Autumn marathons.  I'm not injured, but have been ill for the last week, and won't be able to run for a few more days at least.  The illness is highly suitable for the thread, so if I can find the energy I'll describe it!

If I make a quick recovery I may try for a later Autumn marathon.

• Options
    15West15West ✭✭✭

Hope you feel better soon SGB. Seems a bit rash though, still plenty of time to get a decent amount of training in...

No running for me today.

• Options
    MennaniaMennania ✭✭✭

MM - liking the music choices - I chuck some slower more settling stuff like Lou reed (Suzanne) and nick cave to try and keep the tempo down - did a recovery run this morning and springsteen (incident) came on and my pace shot into the low 7mm without any conscious effort. My missus cant take Antihistamine - It just knocks her out totally.

JR - as Andrews says.

SGB - As Westy says 

• Options

SGB: autumn marathon still on cards maybe just do a shorter schedule, anyway hope you feel better soon image

No running today but a 15mile cycle instead

• Options
    andrews148andrews148 ✭✭✭

SGB, sorry to hear that you've been ill . What with?

I ran the Run Jersey Half Marathon today as the end miles of a 17mi w/ 8 MP.

I didn't get tempted into racing, as I wouldn't have had the energy! The run was plenty hard enough as it was. It was very hot and a lot of people crossed the line looking very wobbly.

I ran 4mi at 8:00 before the start, the first 5mi of the half at 7:30 and the remaining 8.11mi at 6:24. It was nice to not be worrying about the race clock. I stopped to go to the loo and stopped to drink at the water stations. So naughty!

• Options
    MadbeeMadbee ✭✭✭

Bad luck SGB, but agreed that it sounds a bit premature to cancel an autumn marathon - hope you pick up soon, and are able to give some thought to a shorter programme.

andrews, that sounds a really nice way to not race!  I'm hoping to take a leaf out of your book next month image

No running for me today either.  Blaydon tomorrow. I've actually had a really nice relaxing day not running, and am trying to get in my head that it's ok to enjoy not running all the time...  However, I have put all my training runs in my diary now, and I've opted to jump into week 4 of the 18 week plan after all - I just didn't have enough confidence in the number of long runs in the 12 week plan. There is some fiddling to the schedule but since Chester's going to be a bit of a fill in race (I'll aim at 3:30 in the spring if all is going to plan), I reckon it'll do.  I might do some swimming this week.  I really want to get hold of a bike and try some cycling again, but I don't want to splash out and buy one if I just go back to hating it again within a week or two image

• Options

andrews148: sounds like you had a good timeimage Great workout though

Good work Madbee, the number of long runs was one of things I missed when following the 12week plan as they make a big difference.

• Options
    MadbeeMadbee ✭✭✭
    Mr Mad is turning into Wenty. He just randomly decided to go for a 20 mile run when the furthest he's ever been (about 5 weeks ago) is 16. Did it too fast as well. He is being an idiot but doesn't believe me when I suggest it might result in injury...
  • Options
    15West15West ✭✭✭

Is he following P&D Madbee?