Options

Iron Distance 2012 Training Thread

Comments

• Options

Good,luck with the excessive baggage charge for all the thermals

• Options
    slimshadyslimshady ✭✭✭

Just a 40 min treadmill run for me today...keeps the legs ticking over.

I have done almost zero swim training this year which will be interesting/terrifying on the dayimage

I've just changed to a new department at work and so havn't given the race much thought yet but better start getting my stuff together image

• Options

Dustboy

I am sure I will bump into you this weekend.

I to am in the broken back club (a few years ago), will hve a chat to you about it

• Options
    GB i have done nowhere near a proper swim plan this year 4 or so 40 min pool swims and around 8 to 10 40 min to an hour 0W swims so was a bit apprehensive but managed a suprisingly easy distance swim this weekend never underestimate the power of residual fitness!
  • Options

image Dusty I'll give you a big hug saturday sure that will sort out your back problems. Have they said if they can operate to make it better or a case of stretching it out?

• Options

I fly tomorrow and I'm not sure if I'll have internet access as I'm staying in a hostel in Austria but just wanted to wish all the Outlaws the very best of luck on Sunday and I'll be thinking about you as I slog through the Austrian IM course. Good Luck All!

• Options

Good luck Orca, Austria is great.

• Options

Broken back? Blimey!

Can't believe it's just about here for most of you guys - will keep an eye on the PC Sunday and virtually cheer you all on image  GOODLUCKGOODLUCKGOODLUCK!!

As for me, despite wandering round trying to train for an unknown period of time with pneumonia, I am astonishingly still in one piece and feeling just about human again! I've had a couple of mini swimbles and a few turns on the bike. I'm off to try a wee run-ette this morning. I'm still no 100%, my chest feels slightly tight at the "top" of each breath, IYKWIM, but I am streets ahead of where I was last week.

I'm still going to have a go at Roth next weekend, but it is definitely a case of getting sensible head on, and if I DNF, I DNF. Can't be helped. There's always the consolation of currywurst and beer image

• Options

Currywurstimage good luck PuP

have just been looking at the Horseman sept 2013, a IM in Devon retirement may have to be postponed. Max its very near you!

• Options
    Good luck PUP

DD I heard the bastids image its at Roadford and should be a cracker i have done the 1st IMUK, IMUK Bolton , Outlaw and IM Wales so it is tempting image but gonna deffo take a break next year save my pennies as i need to start ticking off my bucket list (which keeps growing!) which is

Roth

Lanza

Embrun

Celtic Man (new addition it looks fantastic)

Feel a lot better today after Flowerpowers doctors orders and total rest just done 30 mins turbo i could breathe and the snot was below industrial levels gonna run 30 mins at lunch swim 30 after work and then pack and rest image
  • Options
    Last day at work for me which is a good thing as i have been unable to concentrate all week image travel up tomorrow
  • Options

Good to see Celtman on your list there RBM!! Make sure and bring a midgie net if you do it....image We had five people from the club taking part, two of them came joint 6th! If you want to read a wee race report... http://elizadventures.blogspot.co.uk/

Good luck to all those racing at the weekend. I'm doing Roth so I've an extra week to wait image

• Options
    slimshadyslimshady ✭✭✭

I'm going up on Saturday , hoping to be there at around 1130.  Max your bruv has my mobile number give me a ring on the sat. have a good trip up tomorrow  image

No more training for me. That's it!   just packing now

• Options
    Will do Slim he is tapering in Holland at the moment so that probably involves beer lots of
  • Options

Short turbo this morning, quick 4-mile trot over lunch with Muffin Top (her last run prior to The Biggie on Sunday) and a long turbo tonight while she is out on a stress-relieving meal with "the girls". 2.5 hours on a work day is going to feel very rewarding. Then I'll need another 2.5 hours over Friday/Saturday to hit my volume target for June. Ought to be easy, but travelling to Nottingham on Sat needs thinking about.

Sooooooooooo wish I was doing Outlaw with you all!

• Options

Yoga tonight stretching deep breathing and trying not to think about nottingham for 90 minutes.

Bliss

• Options
    Ridgebackmax wrote (see)
    Will do Slim he is tapering in Holland at the moment so that probably involves beer lots of

Beer and cheese......

• Options
    flowerpower wrote (see)

Yoga tonight stretching deep breathing and trying not to think about nottingham for 90 minutes.

Bliss

Bloody hell, RBM has knocked you into shape.

Nottingham 90 mins, I am thinking more on 13 hour plus on a good day image

• Options
    Orca wrote (see)

I'll be thinking about you as I slog through the Austrian IM course. Good Luck All!

So what's your news, Orca? I heard that you finished OK... hope that's the case image

Congrats to all the Outlaws. It was great to witness your races and I'm massively respectful of you all.... from Winners, to completers, to those that gave it a crack but didn't reach the finish line. Hope you're all feeling proud today.

With "IronMuffin's" Outlaw successfully and gloriously completed (although she's feeling the Post-Race Blues big time today), it's over to the ugly half of the team to deliver my sde of the bargain! 3 weeks until The Hairy Arse in north Wales, and less than 12 until IMW at Tenby. Planning to train hard until the Sunday before the race and taper for just 1 week. Anybody think that's especially stoopid?

Consensus around our table at the post-Outlaw piss-up yesterday was "you look like a right gimp on your profile picture". Hope the new one makes me look less like a man who lives in a cage in the basement with a leather mask on.

• Options

hi all

Im new to this page but am about to do the ironman  uk in 3 weeeks when should i taper?? hope ive done enough training ?any advice on nutrition ?

• Options
    3 week taper 1st week 70% of your max 2nd week 50% last week very easy just to keep stuff turning over lots of sleep and keep to a fairly good diet in the last week works for me
  • Options
    slimshadyslimshady ✭✭✭

My only issue after The Outlaw is all the bites I have around my neck, wrists and feet/ankles!  I have literally been eaten alive  image  That will teach me to spend so long in the swim.

Didn't get the time I hoped for but I will always be a completer and maybe i had ideas above my station.  

Great weekend though and thoughts are already turning to what next?  image

• Options

Morning All

I was wondering if anyone's got my top (pink and grey lycra hoodie) and (blue) arm warmers? I chucked them at the pirate support group on the run just before the finish chute bit.  Daffy seems to think the pirate lady with the labbie might have them? 

If anyone does can you pm me please? If not no worries - it'll teach me to be more organised in the future** image

** disclaimer: at shorter distances!!

• Options

Up at "sparrow's" this morning to go running hill reps. Any of you Outlaws feeling pangs of loss for your training routine might smile at that one and enjoy a few more days of recovery before you throw yourselves back in image.

Feels like I ought to have a high intensity sharp session of hill reps on foot and on the bike, as well as the longer hilly ride at the weekend. Really enjoyed it

15 mins warm up on the flat
    10x2-min intervals on a sharp incline
    15 mins warm down

I'll stretch the middle bit out over the weeks ahead. What do you think? A sensible workout?

• Options
    joddlyjoddly ✭✭✭

Morning

This thread's going to go a bit quiet now we've had Outlaw. It was difficult not to feel a tad envious of folks' tapirs in the last couple of weeks, and now there's a lot of people in recovery mode. 

Well done to all who started Outlaw - the wind made it tough, and times were slower than expected (plus the bike course was two miles longer than last time). I didn't hang around afterwards - it would have felt wrong, having taken the relay-slacker option.

Despite just doing the bike leg on Sunday, I've gone down with a lurgy so it's a quiet week for me too. Shouldn't be a problem with more than 10 weeks before IMW.

STIL, your plans sound sensible, though as a cautionary tale I gave myself a tendon injury by doing reps up too steep a hill just before last Autumn's Ballbuster. The hills at IMW aren't steep (esp as I think they've taken out the section down through the castle) so might you be better with longer intervals on a less steep hill?

• Options

Hope you feel better joddly!

Jetting off to Germany for Roth in a few short hours!image

• Options
    joddlyjoddly ✭✭✭

Thanks, and Good Luck, WW - have a great time!!

• Options

Good Luck WW, enjoy image

After Outlaw on Sunday, I am definitely feeling a bit lost with my training routine.

I got a massive WTF from Mr plodder on Tuesday night when I got Fink out "just to have a look when I can start training again".

I did a nice gentle session with some core and upper body work in the gym yesterday, and I think I'll do for a swim this lunchtime, work on my front crawl technique, with no pressure of a race looming.

Everybody keeps asking, "what next?", answer, "I don't know!!"

• Options
    slimshadyslimshady ✭✭✭

Good luck WW, look forward to hearing all about it!

Good to see you at the weekend Joddly hope the lurgy goes soon image

STIL, - I personally find hill reps too much of an injury risk for my delicate pins. It all depends what your goals are I suppose.  i will always be a mid-to back of the packer and so knocking a few minutes from my time is much less important than staying injury free and allowing me to actually do the event.  Mind you, what do i know?...with an over 5 hour marathon leg at the Outlaw!!  image

• Options
    joddlyjoddly ✭✭✭

Hi Slim, I'm sorry that Outlaw didn't go too brilliantly. I do think that the wind on the bike leg, which we generally think of as fast and flat, took much more out of us than anticipated. Which meant arriving back at T2 in no shape to start a marathon (or have a shower and eat a pile of lasagne, in my case image!)