Options

Iron Distance 2012 Training Thread

Comments

• Options
    Ridgebackmax wrote (see)

Slim that is a pain image i spose its just like when i was in the RN if they really want you to work you dont have a choice?

Pressganged?    image

• Options
  • Options
    But i had a feckin good time image
  • Options

Nothing quite as good as National Service  !   image

• Options
  • Options

Hey!  They had 12 years of my life as well   image

• Options

12 years of National Service Meldy?? We're surrounded by Fish-heads.

DB - I'm getting less skinny by the day. If your behind me, tomorrow will be spent building a garden bench, and teaching a 4yr old how to use a ratcheting socket set.

• Options
    Ridgebackmax wrote (see)
    Taper madness here body has mentally started to not co operate

I feel rubbish, worsed I have done since starting training a year ago. Resting heart rate is normal so nothing really wrong, just feel rubbish and lathargic and just can't getting going in training.

Woke on Thursday with a sore throat and a sore hip, Luckily both have cleared up, but my shoulder is hurting now, nothing serious, swam with it today ok, but might rest it until Wednesday's swim and see.

got to watch the food intake STOP eating crap and get lots of zzzzz

I've been eating poorly, getting all the nutirents but with too much stodge, which might account for the lethargy, but at least I have been sleeping well, something I have been struggling with over the last month or two.

• Options
    Oi cat! Less of the fish heads thank you, some of us have standards!!
  • Options
    Yea she was a crabfat!
  • Options
    Waiting in the car in the rain for the quarry to open for an hours swim must be out of my tiny mind image
  • Options

Max you said it, nuts. Me I'm off to swim in a 30C temp controlled outdoor 50M pool. Oh when oh when will they have IM Dubai? 

• Options

Woken up again with sore throat and and ITB that is hurting just walking.  That started yesterday and I thought 'Pah, stupid tapir, it'll be gone by morning...'. Fucking taper.  Every bloody time it gets me.

Due to be doing a long run today. But not feeling like I should.... I'll do some more foam rollering and see if it eases. 

• Options
    Holly_Golightly wrote (see)

Woken up again with sore throat and and ITB that is hurting just walking.  That started yesterday and I thought 'Pah, stupid tapir, it'll be gone by morning...'. Fucking taper.  Every bloody time it gets me.

Due to be doing a long run today. But not feeling like I should.... I'll do some more foam rollering and see if it eases. 

Have you tried running backwards? Stretches the glutes and hamstrings out... helped a lot with my ITB... you may see me doing it before putting my wetsuit on next weekend

• Options

I might run round the parkruns backwards when I join them all later on...

Currently just rolling all over my ITB, quads, hamstrings etc.

I doubt I'll see anything pre-race next weekend - I can't see much through the tears of panic that will no doubt take over me from about 3am...

• Options
    Great 1:10 ish swim its a deep large quarry so i was expecting it to be cold but it was very nice Flowerpower and Cornish DIgger were there churning out some good steady mileage no problems for race day FP was having a good old first timer wibble as she now has time on her hands to think istead of train you will be fine my dutch amigo image as will all you first timers if you have done the training have faith in it and stay strong mentally this last week is where the mental mind game comes in if anybody fancies a good read this week to motivate themselves i have just finishes Bear Grylls blood, sweat n tears. very good read image
  • Options

Just been out on a rapid 25 mile bike ride, mentally i couldnt be arsed before i went out but so glad i did. Felt strong, rolling out a decent ave mph without pushing at all.

The weather was filthy, windy and very wet, somehow this added to the experience, after all it might be bad on raceday. 

Felt much better today than earlier in the week, must be the benefit of the taper

• Options

1 hr run with the club today. It was like a winter XC run.

I'm also feeling a lot better after Friday's mini-breakdown.

• Options

I jumped in the pool thought I was swimming really badly and jumped out after 2K 3 minutes quicker than I was over the same distance last Mondayimage

• Options

Well the great news was that yesterday, in a bid to try and get an idea how much my ankle could or could not hurt on the day next week... i decided to do Parkrun yesterday.

My first bit of running on the road in over 3 months... (everything else has been on an antigravity treadmill so rarely running with 100% body weight) and I had only ever done intervals of 5/6/7 minutes in this time

Delighted to take the win, set a new pb... and most importantly feel no obvious pain across the foot, ankle or knee. It felt week but not uncomfortable, a great sign for next sunday imageimage

However with one step forward comes two steps back!!! image I was using very high orthotics in my shoes to account for the lack of dorsiflexion in the ankle, but yesterday these gave me really bad blisters. I think I only set a pb as I was desperate to finish because my feet felt like they were on fire. As soon as I finished I ripped both shoes and socks off because of the pain... much to the worrying luck of my physio who was there watching. These will heal by next week but the thought of 42km on burning feet doesnt sound appealing!!

the other problem.... today on my commuting bike the chain slipped, and because i was wearing trainers my feet came of the pedals... before I took pedal to the outside of the left shin/ankle. Struggling to put much weight on it at the minute (this happened about 3 hours ago) and I think it is going to bruise pretty nicely!!

Really not been a good year... hopefully I can finish Outlaw and put all of this bad training omen behind me!!! image

• Options

Oops, GB! Hope you have lots of ice and frozen peas at your place!

• Options

Yup image Just been sat following a bit of RICE watching the ITU racing. May have to commute by bike to wor tomorrow if it swells up a bit... I didnt really want to cycle to/from the office this week but would rather that than limping around on the underground!!

• Options

Bugger GB. I just recognised your name on the parkrun. I was wanting to volunteer there but couldn't make it yesterday.

• Options

Are you local then LN? image I enjoyed Gunnersbury... think I will start doing it every few weeks or so after outlaw

• Options

Local to Scott yesimage  Not that far away.

• Options
    GB is that Gunnersbury Park Acton? I used to run around there as a nipper in the 60s my grandparents used to live nearby many happy memoriesof that place image

Taper madness continues rest this morning easy pool swim tonight
  • Options

Gunnersbury Park, that's the one. We are so old the boating lake used to have boats in it instead of broken bottles and glass. Or has it been cleaned up?

Ear infection image. Like someone is stabbing me in the ear with a sharp pencil. No doubt due to some horrible lake water stuck in my ear.

• Options
    Bruv happy days image get down the docs and get it sorted i always use ear plugs now havent had bad ears since
  • Options

Down to pharmacist later to get some drops. Is due to the water as have had it before. Have ear plugs but lost one, wil get some later but will not wear them in Outlaw if ear OK so I can hear whats going on.

• Options
    So is the bike topline or do i have to drag the toolbox up to Nottingham image