Options

Iron Distance 2012 Training Thread

Comments

• Options
    Been struggling this week with toothabcesss and bad tum resulting in no sleep just basically falling to bits on antibiotics and painkillers gonna take some time out feet up and watch the olympics and stop hammering my body for s while
  • Options

Sometimes you read about somebody else's illness and you really.... like REALLY feel for them. Tooth abcess and a belly?? Wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy.

Physio today to see if my hammie is OK to resume some training. Lovely girl... giggled cutely whenever she found some scar tissue to dig her thumbs into. Left with all four major leg areas in bulk, but a green light to get back into gentle training image.

Finally put heart n soul into one of Muffin's swim sets, after reading how Meldy and Melli both do similar ones. So 200m warm up, then 10x100 on 2 minute intervals, followed by 10x50 on 1 minute intervals then some technique and warm down. Chuffed because I've never been able to hold that 2 minutes for 10 reps before, so to succeed with that and follow-on with 10x50 is something I'm well pleased with. Copped me a bit of a telling-off though, because Muffin's been telling me for 2 years not to just get in the pool and plod. Onward and upward!

• Options

Unlucky Max, sounds rubbish. image

The bit slowerthanilook hasnt mentioned in his swim feedback, is that he tried the intervals because Meldy said! He has ignored me his wife, ex competitive swimmer and coach for 2 years.

Meldy, maybe you could mention on here a few more things he should be doing. eg, garndening, DIY, buying wife flowers........

• Options

My pleasure Muffin   image

Slower, the ironing needs doing .

• Options

Should of had a 100mile sportive on Saturday

Turned up and set off, got in a nice group of 7 and trundling along well, got to the first station (30 miles) and find out the rest of the group are only doing the 60 mile option (lightweights) so set off by myself, got to a junction, 1 sign pointing left, 1 sign pointing right, so 50/50 chance, thought it was where the 60/100 ride split, tuns out that one of the signs has been put on wrong, guess who chose the wrong way image

Took me 7 miles to realise, then thought I could get back to the feed station via a shortcut, couldn't, buy the time I had got back it had added 17 miles on and didn't fancy a 120 mile ride, so sacked it off and headed of to the finish to make a trip of 75 mile.

Must have done something on the ride because my back is now hurting like hell and was unable to train yesterday

• Options

image Matie the same thing happened to me a few months back in Aylesbury. At least when you realised you didn't try to take a road to get back on the longer route and end up in Hemel Hemsted. imageimage

Hope your backs ok

• Options

Hope you're back's better soon, Q. With that and your groin.... you're doing a good job of shaking the gremlins out.

Got the green light to start training again. The regular Saturday morning run felt horrible in lots of ways, so I cut it short. Enjoyed a confidence-boosting 75-miler yesterday though. First time in ages I've worn an HRM on the bike (prefering to do it Voelkler-stylee.... all tongue lolling and tortured facial expressions) and it really helped me stay frosty in Z2 instead of pushing too hard a gear on the flats. Three mile trot with the wife n kids afterwards and no reaction from the hammie. Hopefully things are looking up!

I'd love to stay and chat.... but I have a mountain of ironing to do imageimage

• Options

Best you crack on then!!!

I have been swimming .... for a change  image

• Options

4 mile trot with Slower. My efforts on core stability seem to be doing something, even if it is just sciatica pain. image

Good swimming Meldy dolphin. Hope all the injured are healing well.

• Options

Nice trotting MT !!   I did some of that this morning cept I made the 'oss do all the work

I think I need to look at some other swim sessions to do and mix it up a bit  .. it will be a long year on timed 400's  image

• Options
    Still got stomach problems image bikings Ok but running is out in case of embarresment apparently the antibiotics for the abbsess are causing this as i have a pretty delicate tum at the best of times just gonna have to tough it out and wait do what stuff i can till all this settles down
  • Options

I think that is quite a common side effect Max !

• Options

That's a kind of embarrassment you can do without, Max, huh?

Did 5 good hours yesterday and had legs o' lead today. Easy bike and a recovery run. Felt like wading through treacle, so happy to get 1 hour 40 of shakey-outy stuff done. Getting a little injury has thrown me a bit wobbly upstairs. Not sure why, because I still got 9 hours done in a cut-back week, with a muscle strain. I guess you just don't want to feel damaged or broken 6 weeks before your A race image.

Short bike and a long OW swim tomorrow. Will attempt not to plod. 

• Options

When you are tempted to plod just remind yourself of the damage that you could be doing, that should bring you back to your senses eh ? image

• Options

Hi All,

A very hard tri club swim tonight. Managed 2km. Brain wants to start training again, body steadfastly refusing. image. Have opened a bottle of HTFU so will see how it goes.

Slower - you're still putting in the time and training well. Even despite mechanicals that would have most people calling time on that session. You'll be fine.

• Options
    Country runs are ok i just go all Ray Mears wildman in the woods but doing the same running through the streets of Plymuff and having to do a Paula could be very embarrassing image
  • Options

Thinking of throwing in a high volume bike week starting next Monday.

Would maintain my swim, reduce my run to 2 brick runs off the bike and just get out there for several 4 hour bike rides through the week.

The week following I have an enforced lower volume week due to work travel.

Good idea or bad idea? What do you think?

• Options
    You can never do enough bike sessions Cruz plus unlike upping the run drastically the risk of injury is minmal pedal on i say! image
  • Options

What he said image.
    Happy riding, Crux.

• Options

Hi chaps and chappesses, haven''t been on for ages.

Max, hope you feel better soon, best stick to the country trails for runs image

Sounds good Crux. More time on the bike the better I reckon.

Slower - your rest weeks sound bigger than my training weeks, so I don't think you've anything to worry about. It's just injuries, they mess with your head.

Since Outlaw I have reverted to my comfort zone, ie. lots of running, no swimming and a little bit of biking.

Anyhow, I've three weeks til my next race (local sprint race), so I've set about sorting myself out this week. Went back in the pool today, and have a bike ride planned for tonight after work image. Then lots more cycling planned.

Mr plodder is doing the sprint tri with me. It's his first ever triathlon, so nerves are starting to fray at our house. He doesn't believe me when I tell him he'll be fine - he's been cycling for years, and it's all about the bike image

• Options

do you recon Mr Plodder will get hooked and want to do Ironman distances?

you can then have the same problems Mrs SA and I have and STIL and Muffin Top have

• Options

Not sure, he says not but he enjoyed being at Outlaw so much this year he's already talking about doing the cycle leg of a iron distance relay next year, it's a slippery slope image.

And tbh, I thought iron distance was completely bonkers when I first started, so you never know

It must be a training nightmare with both of you doing it, perhaps for purely selfish reasons I should put him off the idea, at least until the kids have left home - which will be a very long time!!

• Options

I am having a swim focussed week... give my legs a rest and its too shite for the bike at the moment

Good session today and the 400s are keeping at sub 7 for consistency which is nice image

• Options

If you carry on like this Meldy you'll grow gills. image

• Options

It will take me even longer to get them off in T1 !!

• Options
    slimshadyslimshady ✭✭✭

Max - hope you feel better soon image

Some good training going on and it's quite nice to sit back and look at Slower and SA's peak training phase from the comfort of an armchair!

Not quite true as I'm getting back into the groove after Outlaw and managed a 14 mile plod today and even did a 40 min swim last night  image

• Options

14mile plod? That sounds like training to me  image

• Options

Joined my local Masters Swim class tonight - did 1 hr solid FC lengths (I can see I have a LOT of work to do ! ) Esp compared to u M.eldy. I am absolutely exhausted - maybe Ironman will HAVE to wait till 2014 (but I don't want to).image

• Options

You'll be fine. I always struggle at tri-club swims.

• Options

Have been without internet a couple of weeks now since I'm out going it alone.  I'm availing of McD's free internet, which ....well it's free.....but I'm having to work hard to negate the happy meal effect every time I visit image.

Been OW swimming a lot, in the currently bumpy sea and horrible weather, and in a local reservoir.  My biking, although I'm not doing interval or tempo sessions is getting stronger, and I'm back up to 70 odd mile rides at weekends and 35 odd miles mid week.

Last weekend's marathon trashed my running legs a bit so I haven't been doing much in way of running, but I'll have to put that right soon for Dublin in Oct.

A half IM in two weeks and a few sportives lined up.  Somone also asked me to partner them for a winter adventure race series, but I don't want to be focussing on just that.  Might use it to break up the training and as tough training days.

Good to read everyone keeping well and getting back to the grind.