Options

oh bugger, another fat newbie.....

Comments

• Options

I suspect that you'd benefit from far more bike miles. If your legs are fresher coming off the bike running will be easier, it'll not bugger up your joints so much as there's no impact, and it'll still improve your fitness.

That's what my coach keeps telling me and I keep ignoring him anyway, but it may explain why he's qualified for Kona and I'm at about 13 hours for an Ironman. That or the booze and pies anyway..... 

• Options
    Simo429Simo429 ✭✭✭

Must feel good to finally finish one after a lot of years of trying. Good luck if you are going Bolton.

• Options
    SgtLardSgtLard ✭✭✭

I was checking things over over and maybe Im mashing too low a cadence and buggering the legs. More bike maybe, but cadence must increase. and some running wont hurt.

Dave the ex spartan : bolton in 4 weeks. NIGHTMARE. as much fun as cutting off your toes with a shovel.image

Simo429. Felt great to finish. swore never again.image

last night I was looking at Weymouth checking the course. (registrations still open). its not far from bournemouth. might work and makes a change from the back yard. chance of some sun even.

or Outlaw. or both. but something. be silly not to capitalise on the progress.

officially, bonkers.image

the OH will blow a fuse.image

mid life crisis my arse.

• Options
    Stop faffing and knuckle down to some proper training Rather than looking at other events
  • Options
    Simo429Simo429 ✭✭✭

I don't get it, you swore never again after a half but you are still doing fulls?

You have a level of self confidence that dwarfs most people, I finished outlaw half in 6 hours and don't believe I could have done a full a couple of weeks out, you finish later after years and years of attempts and you are still looking at fulls. 

• Options
    SgtLard wrote (see)

Dave the ex spartan : bolton in 4 weeks. NIGHTMARE. as much fun as cutting off your toes with a shovel.image

Bolton is so much easier now you only have to climb Sheephouse lane twice

• Options
    Simo429 wrote (see)

I don't get it, you swore never again after a half but you are still doing fulls?

No he isn't "doing fulls", He is just having wet dreams about coming out to play with the big boys (But wifey wont let him)

• Options
    IMO and I know you won't listen, you'd be better off focussing on halfs this season and looking to do a full next year. If you struggled to run after only 90k on the bike, a marathon after 180k is going to be like a death march.

Not saying it's unachievable, you're just going to have had to put a lot more work in than I suspect you have and an iron will to keep going, and given the excuses so far......

Anyway good luck whatever you decide....
  • Options
    SgtLardSgtLard ✭✭✭

normal service restored image

other events next year - I'm not being silly just yet - just curious why weymouth would still be taking prisoners this close to the event ( brand new not popular ? ) . I was just putting a few pins in the calendar for a maybe while doing the ironing and I'm sick of staffordshire.

knuckling down dave. beats being wholly under the thumb. 

and i thought that was the point simo. Ive taken far far far too long to attempt a half, finish half and shortly attempt a full. confidence be damned. i like the view from the edge. 

still, bolton does have me proper worried.

back in four weeks.

• Options
    SgtLard wrote (see)

You have checked that she doesn't mind you saying that ?

Si-Mondo did the Lakesman yesterday as a warm up for Bolton

• Options
    AlGiffAlGiff ✭✭✭
    SgtLard wrote (see)

I was checking things over over and maybe Im mashing too low a cadence and buggering the legs. More bike maybe, but cadence must increase. and some running wont hurt.

What are your cadence numbers?  Pretty easy to tell if they are too low but we are all different.

I spend lots of time on the turbo over the winter playing with different cadences to see what worked best for me in terms of power output vs cadence vs perceived effort.  Typical range is between 80 and 100 rpm, I found my sweet spot was between 90-95

I passed on guy on the bike at Chester Oly a few weeks back that was crawling along pushing his biggest gear at a very low cadence - I can't imagine his run would have been much fun!

• Options
    SgtLard wrote (see)

just curious why weymouth would still be taking prisoners this close to the event ( brand new not popular ? )

Weymouth was run by Challenge previously IIRC, new bike course this year, two laps, 2000m total climb I think, also 2000m total descent image

• Options
    SgtLardSgtLard ✭✭✭
    Dave The Iron Ex- Spartan wrote (see)
    SgtLard wrote (see)

You have checked that she doesn't mind you saying that ?

Si-Mondo did the Lakesman yesterday as a warm up for Bolton

what happens in runners world, stays in runners world dave image

cadence. need more analysis. avg seems to be around 78. thats including lots of 0 so dunno image. when I'm riding ( moving with the legs ) the 'computer' readout is 80-85 in the main. I did some recently where i deliberately dropped the cadence and went up the gear for pretend hill work 

Maybe I should try and push it to around 88 - might take the pressure of the legs a little. and make the run more fun for a little bit longer next time.

I know Lance liked to spin 95+ and its all the rage but then his 'enhanced' cardio vascular system allowed him ( or required him ) to shift the workload from his muscles to ensure a maximal improvement from that enhancing process. ( skimming the book Wheelmen right now ). also fink had something about the spinning not being as relevant over the longer distance with averages reducing as the distance increased. no soft peddling for triathlon. the science of doping and why / how it worked for lance is fascinating. he really did do a better job of it for his physiology.

• Options

You should probably spend more time training and less time reading.

There will be next to no difference between cycling at 85 and 88.

There will be a humungous difference between reading for 4 hours and cycling for 4 hours.

• Options
    SgtLardSgtLard ✭✭✭

image FerrousTom : I had first ridden for 4hrs, then read the book for 20 mins. does that work ?

off for a run outdoors now. don't tell the wife.

• Options

No. Spend the extra 20 minutes cycling harder! image

My wife isn't bothered if you go for a run.... image

• Options

You can't beat spending a few hours in analysis.... Save you having to do any training.

i raced yesterday, don't even wear a watch, let along power meters, hrm's etc 

• Options
    Not sure I'd want to race without some gadgets. I'm getting to the point where I can gage heart rate etc now, but it's taken a few years. I also need reminding to keep eating gels as I forget otherwise.

Adrenaline spikes at various points can have me going off way too fast and exploding mid race although fortunately that's only happened over half marathons so far.
  • Options

Not even a trip computer on the bike ....

I've started pouring gels into a bottle, you can get 12 SiS gels into a 750ml bottle with a drop of water, so I don't have to fiddle with opening gels.

Must admit I could have done with a watch on Sunday night, I caught sight of the clock on the local supermarket and realised I could go sub 15 if I pushed for the last km 

• Options
    SgtLardSgtLard ✭✭✭

well, feeling a little better today.

everything is home,

only I am broken.

was somewhat sobering to be told the collar and blocks have to stay as id broken C4, C7 and T4. thankfully just C7 after further consideration. collar for weeks and well see how it progresses.

onwards and upwards. but not anything soon.

• Options

Perhaps some serious training next time ? 

Heal well and get it right next time 

• Options
    Simo429Simo429 ✭✭✭
    Come on sarge let's have a race report
  • Options
    SgtLardSgtLard ✭✭✭

seriously ? it was a bit worse than shit.

let me see what I can pull together tomorrow. its been a challenging experience and not in the way planned or expected. 

• Options

No excuse for not doing a race report.... You've plenty of time, not as if you are training.image

• Options
    SgtLardSgtLard ✭✭✭

race report. or, shyte sandwidge with shyte and a drink of shyte.

Been a crazy month. OH had surgery just before staffs half. that surgery did not go well, with infections, further treatment, further infections and further treatment. pain management wasn't successful so lots of impact on time for training with trips to hospital, consultants, doctors and A&E before finally getting some improvement a week or so before Ironman UK.  

Training was buggered and limited to some solid bike turbo but no long swim or long run as I also buggered my left knee and was keen for it to be quiet by raceday.

training for hours on a turbo, getting saddle time in, lots of very long rides and a few hard rides to boot  averaging 18+, simulating hills worse than sheep and hunters(?). still the math and the panic before hand I felt sure that I could survive the swim and complete the bike inside 8hrs leaving a good 7hrs to crawl the run if needed. The plan was to do that and then run till i had to walk and then see what could be done. should be able to manage running for the first 9k and then suffer. ( THEN suffer ? )

registered in hope on the thursday night. things continued to improve health wise 

so saturday comes along, and i blip up to ironman HQ nice and early to drop off the bags n stuff before blipping home. all sorted by 11am and a day at home. lots of domestic drama and a return to travelodge bolton by 9pm. a light meal and bed. ( comfort taken in not being the only tri numpty in town - the carpark was jammed with similar minded folk )

up with the alarm - and having prepped everything, quick dress and out the door with breakfast to be eaten on arrival at Macron stadium around 4.30.

got a little lost but no drama and was at macron nice and early. grabbed the white bag, and bike nutrition and queued for the bus just long enough to realise breakfast was on the car seat. ( mistake 1 )

• Options
    SgtLardSgtLard ✭✭✭

arrived pennington mud baths and proceeded to eat some of the bike nutrition ( nana  and down some electrolyte sports drink and then hit the head for an urgent deposit ( warning 1 - not the best sort of deposit indications of upset bowel ). hitting the head took so long i had to make my way through the entire swim queue to my rolling start time ( ish ).  I was aiming around the 1hr35 ( +/- 5 ) as Id done the distance in 1hr 30 once and the half had me at 44mins so giving myself another 5 - 10 seemed fair. ate the gel at 6am.

slowly meandering down the start chute until its time to get wet.

and were off. hit the water about 20mins later - settled myself with a little breast stroke then into the rhythm of an injured dolphin trying to walk. swallowed a little too much lake maybe  ( i don't think I did ) but started to feel sick about half way to bouy1. swam usual zig zag can't sight for my life approach. corrected on contact with canoes and tried to recover from feeling crap. bouy 1 turn left. plodded on. stopped, bouy 2 turn left . plodded on. considered taking a breather on a canoe. didn't. plodded on some more. belched a lot. felt a little better. bouy 4 and out for lap 1 in 46 mins. releaved. felt shit but wasn't far off time wise. best man up. crack on.

back in the water and is was the same but worse.  sighting was better, straighter but slower and topping to belch or be sick . exit lap to in 50 something. struggled to release wetsuit. felt like id been spinning and drinking on the wurlitzer. made it to t1 and collapsed onto a seat to get changed while the tent span. suit off, hat on, shoes on. bag all that, stand. sit. wait. stand walk out to the bike. belch again. heachace , dizzy and nausea. ( what a twat ). but all in the 1.41 for the swim was close enough to be on track. the 15min+ in T1 was not.

walked bike up to mount point and started off. struggled as soon as I started to push. couldn't catch my breath. every effort felt huge. so decided to focus on nutrition and getting to sheep house and then make up time downhill.  was slow. but ate food, banana, drank a bottle started a second hit the feed for replacements and then sheep house lane. hills are not my friend. and id not brought enough gears. mashed up first time . so my own reckoning i was 30mins down by the top of sheep house. the downhill was nice - I'm a nervous decender so wasn't pushing it but  nice to get a little speed. and the weather was cooler than expected but dry.

the relief didn't last. anything other than downhill was far too hard. and I proceeded to grind out the first lap. pulled over to be sick. carried on. noticed Lucy whatshername fly past like the had put the work in. kept at it. slowly. lap two was worse. and it became clear that i was going to miss cutoff. i think I mentally abandoned the race around mile 80 once id done the math about cut off.

replenished the feed at the 85mile point. 

now I know, I may not have ridden 110 miles but a couple of 80's and plenty of hard 25's - i should have been able to make progress on my plan. but i couldn't be averaging above 14 or 15mph.  and I wasn't. the legs felt fine though. which really sucked.

im not sure what happened next. around mile 90 or so. i took a drink. saw the verge approaching and was then in the bush/verge unrolling backwards having hit the hedge/verge and wrenched my neck.

was lying on the verge bemoaning my luck. didn't hurt much mind and then a motorbike marshal appeared, stopped me getting up and called an ambulance. thankfuly. the race crew recovered the bike back to T2. ( it did a pretty good last 20 miles according the to computer ). the ambulance assessment ended with me going to preston royal due to the pain in the neck/back.

the consultant was great - initial assessment

• Options
    SgtLardSgtLard ✭✭✭
    Id pulled my neck and would probably be on my way shortly. Just debating scan or xrays to be sure. Scan won

One ct scan later and im being taped down to some blocks and told to keep still as ive broke C4, C7 and T4 possibly. But mot to worry as id got no signs of nerve damage yet.

World went a bit dark just then

Was moved onto neurosurgery ward for the experts in the morning and put on fluids as i was dehydrated. Id need another scan and then we will see.

Two different junior consultants visited to tell me what would happen and not to worry

It was a long night

In the morning - i was advised it was a stable C7 lamina only - i could go home with a collar and it takes 4-12weeks to get better .

In the bed next to me, a cyclist hit by someone pulling out at point blank distance tonthem sending them over thenbonnet. Same injuries as I except paralisis that was now abating (25days after). Helmet saved his life

Opposite, a cyclist who had one to many to often and hit a tree and nages his head( no hemet) lucky to be upright.

But im releived beyond measure. And now a little fustrated.

Imuk org returned my kit and the aa brought the car back and its juat about getting better.

Another race? Im game but inthink the donestic challenge will not be thwarted anytime soon.. Im reluctantly benched. Perhaps less reluctantly as insit here with a collar on and think of what might have been. But i will heal, so being stronger and wiser for the experience ill want to scratch the itch again.

How did I crash on an empty road, on my own, in daylight and in the dry? I dont know. I looked down to seat the bottle , looking up saw the verge almost under my wheel, and was in the edge unfolding mysef a split second later. Unlucky certainly, but crap handling skills and snatching the breaks would be my best guess. (Lesson : you can prep indoors, but you prep for esential skills outdoors )

Why no oomph? I just dont know - i wasnt right coming out of he swim, and maybe was just crap - i should have been quicker and no reason not to have had at least a good lap before fading. Maybe just more work required

Colt alley was inspiring right before sheephouse (which isnt ). And passing pirate support was nice but only saw then the once as i was in a ditch as described above before thensecond lap was out.

Most gutted by the fact my legs were fresh, no after effects after 90 miles even if they were slow ones. If i could have got onto the run who knows but that ship sailed by mile 77. Mental focus is another learning. It really is a long hard slog
  • Options

Don't you think it's time to accept that this isn't the sport for you?

• Options
    SgtLardSgtLard ✭✭✭
    Seriousy. Wtf???!!!!

Its hard so i should give up?!!

I didnt do well, so quit?!!!

One race failed and its not for you??!!

Take That shit and find where the sun dont shine.

Seriously.
  • Options

Ignore the twat. There's banter and realism, and there's being a complete see you next Tuesday. Jog on oal4n.