Comments

• Options
    hehehe

happy sub 2.30
    contented sub 2.35
    resigned sub 2.40
    despairing, all the way round, especially if its raining
  • Options
    Thanks Achilles- looking forward to easing off a bit. After London I'm not running for 2-3 weeks
  • Options
    What - REST!!! - 1st one since 15th Feb
    Why? - mini taper for E.Hull 20 - oh and I read never resting could be bad for you???????

Last hard - Sunday
    Last rest - as above

Not long to go now...........
  • Options
    What progressive literature have you been readin Barnsley Runner!
  • Options
    Achilles, Hippo, Benz, Barnsley, Monique + all others racing this weekend, BEST OF LUCK.

Be sure and post a painfully detailed race report after the fun!
  • Options
    HillyHilly ✭✭✭
    Good luck racers!

I didn't go swimming as feeling too drained of energy. I've had a pretty hard day at work then rushed home to take daughter to doctors appointment then had to collect son and do the tea, by which time I was knackered.

Do you ever get so tired you feel emotional, that's how I feel tonight-very unlike me!!

Oh well tomorrow will be different I'm sure!
  • Options
    all the time hilly
    I live like it
  • Options
    Hey there guys

What: am - 800m aquajogging + 30mins brisk swim; pm - 60mins XC skiing +leg strengthening and dynamic mobility exercises with ankle weights.
    Why: my legs have been telling me they don't wanna run anymore so I'm bombarding them with every type of low-impact x-training I can think of!
    Last easy: yesterday's 'easy' aquajog session.
    Last rest: Monday

What can I do guys? I've not run since Silverstone and my shins aren't getting any better:( I have a physio appointment on Monday, but am worried he'll tell me not to run, which'll wreck my marathon training. I feel like all the good work I've done is draining out of me every day I miss a run. Sometimes I don't see the point in running because every time I get a bit better I get thrown back to the beginning with the run/walk schedules; I'm fed up!
  • Options
    SticklessStickless ✭✭✭
    Good luck all. I read these pages, not training for London, well rested, and hear all the ouches and sighs of those who have run themselves near enough into the ground. A marathon would be all right if it were only 26ish miles, trouble is, it's three months and however many hundred.

What can I say? I wish I could rest for you all - it's something I am particularly skilled at, lots of experience. Reckon I'm right, however, in thinking that it is not yet reasonable to join you in your efforts.

Well, now, as on the day, I will be metaphorically holding your coats for you, standing on the sideline, cheering loudly.

It's these weeks that make it special. All the best to you, and don't lose heart.
  • Options
    Hugs freakette
  • Options
    Awww, a nice message Stickless;)

I wish I could follow your advice, but it's pretty hard not to lose heart when i can't even run. I feel like I'm just watching everyone else plugging away whilst I lose all my hard work; aquajogging and XC-skiing just ain't running!
  • Options
    Cheers for the hugs Hippo;)
  • Options
    exercise is exercise freakette

you couild be sittng around doing nothing, and youre not

Hope you are better soon
  • Options
    Thanks hippo;) I guess the positive side is that each day I don't run is a step closer to recovery. I hope your training is going as well as possible ;)
  • Options
    well,Im way off the schedule

Oh well
    Keep trying
  • Options
    Ouch, really feel for you freakette, I'm sure I'd be just as frustrated in your shoes.

Don't confuse your itchiness to get running with losing fitness, chances are a week or so of cross training will only be of benefit. A friend of mine who has a pretty unorthodox approach to training anyway, went to Dublin after doing very little for 2 months, only 1 20 miler beforehand, still managed his best time in years (sub3.30).
    Best of luck at the physio.

Achilles, sending positive vibes in your direction too, I know that feeling of impending doom, but also how totally wrong it can be. Maybe harder quality training means you need to taper more carefully, but will then get the reward on the 13th.

Hilly, I'm always getting emotional, yesterday I practically cried in frustration after I'd spent 45 mins trying to book my train to London over the Internet!

The alcohol situation was looking desperate tonight, not a single bottle of wine in the house and only sherry in the cupboard but luckily I'd forgotten I had vodka in the freezer!
  • Options
    humph, cant drink on call
  • Options
    By the way, wish I was doing Reading with the rest of you, best of luck Benz et al.
  • Options
    its gotta be better than a lonely lsd
  • Options
    Bound to be Benz, esp on a treadmill. Go for it girl!
  • Options
    Sometimes i DO go outside laura!

But its still lonely
  • Options
    the full gamut of emotions evident on todays thread it seems...

here: depression

9.3K in 39:33 - and it felt hard - confirmed by a mean HR of 162. Even without looking at the watch, I still felt obliged to make some sort of effort. Couldn't believe it when I checked the watch for the first time at about 8K/5 miles and it read more than 34 minutes.
    4 weeks ago I ran this same course 2¼ minutes faster, at a significantly lower average HR, and felt much better afterwards. It seems I've lost an awful lot since then.
  • Options
    Chin up Mike S. Everyone has bad patches, but you'll get through. Maybe you've had a hard period of training and you just need to rest...? Or a hard week at work...? Whatever the reason, at least you know what you're capable of, and that you'll get back there soon. At the end of the day, at least you can still get out and run and feel the intrinsic joy it brings, even if you're times aren't up to their usual standards...keep smiling;)
  • Options
    drewdrew ✭✭✭
    Mike, having had 3 weeks off due to illness you can't expect to be running at the same pace. You'll be fine in 2 or 3 weeks. I'm still not back to the pace I was running at last year.

Laura, thanks for reminding me! Booked my tickets tonight using qjump. 1st class return from Sheffield for £42! Spent £71 last week for the same journey.

Hippo, looking forward to meeting you at the Thistle. You're due lots of hugs.

Today's effort involved a long and tiring trip up the M6, M74 & M8 to Glasgow. Needed a rest anyway.

Good luck everyone racing this weekend.

MM, I predict 2:11:08 for your 20 miler.
  • Options
    Mike - words of encouragement. I had 3 weeks out with illness in Oct / Nov last year. I beat my head against the wall in frustration at poor training times when I came back. I reckon it took 6 weeks to be back to where I was then I was flying!!

The extra (enforced) rest had done me the power of good. Since then I've set pbs @ 5 mile, 6 mile, 10k, 10 mile and 1/2 marathon.

So the only way is up.

Drew - we've got 26 tickets for the Sheff - London train - 14 quid each - booked as a group - a carriage to ourselves (non smoking)!! Not 1st class though.
  • Options
    Evening all

What: nowt today or tomorrow either, apart from walking the dogs.
    Why: saving myself for Reading
    Last hard: Last Sunday really
    last easy: yesterday

Happy running to all those not racing this weekend and good luck to those that are. See half of you at Reading maybe.
  • Options
    Mike S

I know how you feel. After having run only 90 miles or so in 2003 due to injury and illness, I'm running more than a minute a mile slower at the moment, and speed just doesn't happen.

Still, I'm determined to enjoy Reading, so today is a rest day, and tomorow is travelling, retail therapy and seeing family.

Targets for the race? well, my PW is 1:35 and I confidently expect to be at least 5 minutes slower than that!

Satisfied (?)- 1:40
    A bit fed up - 1:45
    Pleasantly suprised - 1:35
    Dead chuffed - it won't happen
    Highlight of the day - meeting all those forumites.

Incommunicado till Monday now, good luck all!
  • Options
    PS - hope you're on-call is a quiet one Hippo.
  • Options
    pps - delete 'you're', insert 'your'.

RW, when are you going to give us back the edit???
  • Options
    What: Step class - was going to run too but didn't
    Why: Time
    Last hard: Thurs tempo
    Last easy: Step
    Felt a bit down yesterday, very tired and overworked (Sat posting)... Ate two huge bags of M&S Crisps, dips and drank too much... back to being positive for Saturday! Reading tomorrow