Options

Reflective law

My lunchtime running partner was sporting some new gear yesterday. He says that whilst at the shop the assistant said something about 'Yeah, we're selling a lot of these at the moment because of the law about wearing reflective strips when running at night'.

I am aware of the legal stuff of riding my bike at night and always take a sensible approach to running with reflective clothing and/or lights but is there a law?

Comments

• Options
    no is the short answer
  • Options
    Nay is slightly longer.
  • Options
    The thing to check whenever you hear something like this is the highway code. Anything that is law is in red and has the word 'MUST' as part of it. Everything else is advice. However, my understanding is that failure to take the advice can be seen as a mitigating factor should an accident occur. e.g. if you cross the road between two parked vehicles then, it may reduce any compensation you claim if you get hit by a car speeding along the road when you cross... (Discuss!)

http://www.highwaycode.gov.uk/01.htm
  • Options
    and natural selection is the interesting one :)
  • Options
    "Nay is slightly longer"

Nay, Nay and thrice Nay - is longer still
  • Options
    nope is longer than no or nay.......

;O)

at the end of the day, common sense should rule - not laws..........

this is a little bit like the debate about whether bikes helmets should be compulsory or not - many say, yes, many say no - but currently there is no law, just common sense

the biggest problem is that common sense is not something everyone has

• Options
    "Negative" is longer still....

ALthough as I see it there is no law surly if you are running on the roads at night then as FB says common sense should rule...

Remember - "SPLINK"...... Or am I now showing my age?

Anyone wishing to Reminisce with me could always check here

FIN
  • Options
    I remember a big poster for SPLINK locally where someone had joined the bottom of the L to to I to turn it into a U
  • Options
    popsiderpopsider ✭✭✭
    Sounds typical of the advice most running shops give out. I suppose the advantage of living in a city with pavements and streetlights is you can run at night without worrying about any of this.

Still probably wont be that long before some safety obsessive decides that all pedestrians should have leds strapped to them at night.
  • Options
    negatory is teh same length as negative.
  • Options
    Sounds like (whilst it is good advice) sales talk to me.
  • Options
    JjJj ✭✭✭
    "not no way, no how, no ma'am" is a personal favourite.
  • Options
    So many negatoritivitiness responses!

Cool. On the grounds of saftey I might hang up my Milk Tray outfit. At least I can run safe in the knowledge that I am not breaking some latest Geneva regulation.
  • Options
    Ok so I made that word up.
  • Options
    I saw a woman running on the road the other morning as I was going into work. She was on the left hand side so running with the flow of traffic, wearing dark colours and it was rush hour. Her son (presumably) was following her on his bike. On the pavement. Very odd.
  • Options
    No law, just makes sense to wear reflective gear.
  • Options
    Surely common sense should tell you to make your self as visible as possible? Our club tells us to run in light or reflective gear and generally I'd say most of us do.

It is difficult to see runners and cyclists in dark kit. I've caught a lot of cyclists and runners reflective kit in my peripheral vision as I've been driving. Just gives you a better chance!
  • Options
    It's actually difficult to buy kit that doesn't have reflective strips sewn in. My shorts do, shoes, leggings, top and waterproof. I think the only thing that doesn't are my T shirts. I didn't go out of my way to buy kit with the reflectors in either.

If I am going down a lane then I'll wear clip on flashing Cateye lights.
  • Options
    Bike kit can be a bit rubbish for reflective stuff (my winter longs has one lil bit of reflective material, on one leg only ?) - certainly running kit has the edge - but I'd really not run at night on the road unless it really was the last option.
  • Options
    It's often sensible, but not the law. In my full winter reflectives & as many flashing lights as will fit apparently I look like I should be going to Gatecrasher.
  • Options
    WombleWomble ✭✭✭
    Rather look stupid and reflective than flat and dead. Even if you run on pavements you still have to cross roads occasionally, and people still turn into their drives (or M&S Simply Food.... but that's another story).
  • Options
    popsiderpopsider ✭✭✭
    I don't know, maybe I'm too old school but to me that sounds like obsessing over safety, is there really a risk of being hit by a car turning into a drive ? If there is a risk I'd rather take it than dress up like a lollipop lady every time I went for a run.
  • Options
    someone turned into their drive on top of me while I was cycling home from work last week. Given that it was sunny, broad daylight, and I was wearing a nice bright red top, I have no doubt that he saw me, he just didn't give a sh*t and thought he could nip into his drive in front of me. Had I been wearing flashing lights from head to toe, he still would have done the same. Some drivers feel that saving 3 seconds is more important than your life, regardless of what you wear. Don't get me wrong, I have lights on my bike and a flashy armband thingy (which I also wear when running) but I'm under no illusions, it won't stop me being killed if someone thinks I can magically get out of their way just because they aim their car at me.
  • Options
    That is positive negative is slightly more ambiguous.

I agree Lizzie B. On numerous occaisions have been almost run down by some (usually male) tosser. Even if I painted myself dayglow or dressed as a chicken they still would have just gone straight for me.
  • Options
    If I run on the roads I wear hi viz - even in daylight. Its no skin off my nose and runners always look odd to most of the population anyway.

Since a clubmate was run down on the road from behind in broad daylight - I've started cycling in my hi viz gilet. It is way more visible than my black winter kit and again - its no hardship.
  • Options
    Don't get me started on getting knocked off/over:

I got knocked off my bike by a bloke stepping out of some bushes into my path. We were on the tow path and it was very dark. He'd stop to relieve himself against a tree and never thought to look around before stepping out. Despite being lit up like a Christmas he still thought it was my fault. I have lost count of the amount of times a car has cut me up by pulling in front of me only to slow down and turn left. Oh and buses pulling out in front of me...

I'd class myself as an aggressive rider and own my road space so how people that ride in the gutter or are a bit more timid on 2 wheels fair I don't know.

The usual running near misses for me are people pulling out of their driveways. They seem to pull out at speed then stop on the edge of the kerb waiting for a gap in the traffic. How about waiting on the edge of their driveway and waiting for a gap in the pedestrians.
  • Options
    JjJj ✭✭✭
    Popsy "is there really a risk of being hit by a car turning into a drive ?"

erm - yes. and by a car coming OUT of a drive.

It hurt, both times. Though I MAY have bashed the bonnet really hard with my hand and overdone the 'how do I look with my boobs squashed up against your driver's side window? Surprised? Me too!'
  • Options
    How much reflectives I am wearing depends on where I am.
    The full kit (workman's vest, LED flashing reflective wrist & ankle bands, headlamp, bike back light on back of headlamp, other bike back light on vest...) is for dark country roads where runners are unexpected. Makes me look a bit like a bike & really quite hard to not see.
  • Options
    You'd prob need less reflectives out on dark roads to be honest - no road clutter around. But wear that around town and you'd blend in.

Have you seen the Illuminite Range - full reflective fabric - combine that with a dinotte rear LED and the only justification for getting run over was that they thought you were a space alien out to take over the world !