Options

Friday 31st Aug 07, When I'm home

2»

Comments

• Options

Afternoon.

Enjoy your holiday Wabo...will you be running ?

Good to see you back 200...see you next wednesday !!

Got a hen night combined with a leaving do tonight..not much drink for me though my tolerance seems to be zero lately ...but looking forward to it..I may join the hard core lot and go clubbing later...wonder if it is grab a granny night ???

Some generous predictions for my 10 miler on sunday..Clink I shall give you a months wages if I am anywhere near 1.11 ....not  sure what to expect really to be honest..I havent got alot of faith in myself  after a break...though some wouldnt call it a break,, I am used to doing alot more than I had done for the 2-3 weeks preceding this one ...(although I had a really good speed session on wednesday ....so maybe the rest has done me good!))

What : steady 6 miles

Why : all I have time for...meeting friends early for night out !!

Last hard: wednesday

Last reast : sunday;

Looking forward to seeing how everyones races go this weekend  X X

• Options

Morning all,

two classes done this morning mean I have finished my first week's teaching over here! 14 to go before Christmas...

((Poppy)) hope your friends are there to lean on.

I found out that the reason for my unexpected speed in the pool is that it is a yard pool, not metres! So, in fact I am considerably slower than before my enforced swim break, as I would have expected. Still, it was a nice feeling while it lasted! Will start work today on getting back to pace.

My run yesterday was gruelling in the humidity (resorted to stealing water from someone's outside tap and then worrying about whether it was drinking water or not) but still, another 2 hours on my feet under my belt...

What: short straight swim
    Why: schedule
    Last hard: yesterday
    Last rest: 8 days

Good runnings all.

• Options

Afternoon all,

Some lively discussions yesterday re the 400m final.

Quick post for me today

• What: 9 miles steady
    • Why: General Aerobic Endurance
    • Last Hard: Wednesday
    • Last Rest: Yesterday
    • Lyrics: Yes

We got our first egg from our chickens yesterday - a very exciting moment.

Off to a wedding this weekend so not sure when I'm going to fit my long run in - training is a bit sporadic at the moment so when I do train I'm making sure they are quality sessions.

Good luck all who are racing this weekend.

Happy days y'all!

FIN

• Options
    Pammie*Pammie* ✭✭✭

afternoon

Not sure how today was going to turn out i had a slight heaviness in my legs which i did feel in the latter stages of todays race, put it down partly to not fully recovered from Mondays race.
    Was a tad nervous did a warm up of just under a mile saw a few regulars.

Did focus on trying to keep pace with those around me. first 2km went really well, saw my namesake ahead she runs around 25 mins so tried to keep her in sight for as long as possible. This worked for the first 3km. Then decided to keep pace with guy from Road runners club, well thats what it said on his shirt. TBH can't remember much after 4km except seeing a squirrel cross the road. Why did he cross the road, sorry i didn't ask. I was to puffed to speak. It was a bit busy around the Diana fountain, but not as crowded as we were expecting. Before we turn into the home straight there is an incline some may say its undulating, but it feels like Mount Everest. At this point see my club mate, hes quick and had already finished but always comes back to offer a cheer of encouragement. Into the home straight, feel really sick but am i going to stop? No. Is there anyone behind me? I haven't the foggiest. I mean you don't look behind you. Do you? But no-one is going to pass me now so i sprint for the line
    5;03 (157)
    5;03 (169)
    started to lose it a bit
    5:21 (170)
    5:19 (172)
    concentrated on trying to pick up pace only 5 minutes (or so) to run made final km
    5;05 (173) entered the puke zone

Finish time 25:52 (a bit symmetrical)

Am i happy? You Betcha
    5 seconds quicker than Monday
    39 seconds faster than last months outing
    But i need to do some longer runs haven't really run further than 5 miles in quite a few weeks

• Options
    HillyHilly ✭✭✭
    Pammie - very well done.  You sound as if you really enjoyed that race apart from the puke zone of courseimage
  • Options

Everything you need to know can be found here - Verhuel Training Method

Basically it involves varying lengths of intervals run at a pace at which you can maintain relaxed form and good technique.  It fits in well with the Pose method of running that I try to adopt (thanks to NRG-B!).  Whether it'll fit in well with me I've yet to find out!

Gary

• Options

glad to see stickless home safely

come on nightnurse get an early night i need some new holiday clothes!

great race pammie - excellent effort in the last K

i misread my schedule so today was in fact 5 miles inc 3 X 1 mile at 8k-10k pace off 2 mins recovery
    very windy so pleased to get them fairly consistent -
    6m46
    6m41
    6m47      more like 5k pace than 10k pace but i don't think it'll do me any harm as last hard session before race

good luck all for the weekend races

• Options
    -Flyaway, apparently the doc for my birth was plucked away from in from of the telly, watching the footie. I have always been known for choosing my moments... *grin* Good luck on the tri!
    -Wabo, enjoy the hols! Well done on submitting that stuff.
    -Welcome back, Stickless! I will be around in Oxon., apart from Thu and Fri, if you happen to pass this way.
    -((Poppy))
    -Great race Pammie (minus the puke zone)

For me: what: 10min. warm up, 20min fartlek; 10.33mm pace on average, not too bad for me.
    Why: figuring out if I can go faster
    Last hard: no clue
    Last rest: Wed and Thu. (not counting the swimming)
  • Options

well done pammie!  good racing

what: weights am, 5k easy pm
    why: getting stronger 

good luck gobi, BR, hilly, night nurse and anyone else racing this weekend

• Options
    why does 1000m seem so much further than 800m on the track.  My planned 5*1000m interval session turned into 2.5km warm up then  6*800m with 400m walk/jog/drill recoveries.  800m's felt good and felt I kept form quite well.  Still having difficulty working out pacing as can be seen from interval times (3.06 3.07 3.16 3.17 3.15 3.19 ).  400m was about 4mins which felt quite adequate.  Really satisfied with session and not overly tired or sore.  I am actually starting to feel like a runner again!
  • Options

Had thoughts that my training is actually paying off now and I've got most of the stiffness out of my legs from last weekend's bike ride. Went to the gym and did a great pilates class that really stretched off my tighter-than-piano-wire hamstrings then meant to do a 3M recovery run on the treadie.

BR and hilly came in the gym and my HR seemed pretty good so the running was easy at about 8.10min/miling. Despite the heat of the gym, I manahed to push the speed up to 7.5mph and still felt good so 3M turned into 6M - again, it felt really comfortable so this HR training is paying off!

What: 6M in 48mins at 72% HR
    Why: the run felt good!

Got some stiffness in my right calf but it generally feels OK when I run. A massage of the area tonight might have helped but I only plan to do an easy 4M tomorrow anyway.

Good luck to the racers for the weekend!

• Options

Hello!

We're back from Scotland (just) and have done very little resembling training indeed... oh well...

Good luck to those doing TLW tomorrow!

Off to wade through a tonne of email now...

• Options

Holly - sounds like you've had a good break.

Pammie - well done.

Clink - good mile rep session.

BR - don't think AF posted a report - he sounded a bit distressed - hope his foot is o'kay.

What - Rest - feeling sick.

Good luck Treadmill - go for gold!!

• Options

Yes a lovely view of FL across the gym controlling his HR.  I wanted to run 8 miles to hilly's 7 but she sneakily started before me then a pit stop oat 3.9 miles meant I had to push the mph up to 8.6 for a while to offset her 7.0 and the lost time.

She then started playing games and pushed hers up to 8.5 so I had to go to 10mph to stay on target.  She claimed to feel sorry for me (yeah right she would have passed out) and brought it back down to 7.5 so I cruised to a famous victory at 9.1 (smile).

I did think she would have whacked it up to 10mph for the last .1 and was fully prepared for 12mph if that's what it took.

All this carefully controlled training programme eh?