Options

Clipless pedals. Is there a knack?

I tried clipless pedals for the first time on Saturday. I fell down 3 times. The first time I fell I dislocated my shoulder.

Is there some sort of trick to getting yourself unclipped?

Are clipless pedals worth the trouble? 

Comments

• Options
    Loads of people will jump in on this I'm sure, but the trick is start with them as loose as possible, so you get the hang of clipping/unclipping.  They are absolutely worth the trouble though, according to my MTB mates, because you kinda double your efficiency - your leg is pulling up as well as pushing down, if that makes sense?
  • Options
    yea they are worth it changed my cycling....for the better  image
  • Options
    I have to admit, they were great while I was moving.
  • Options

I'm the oddity here but I've never had a problem with them, and I've ridden them for > 20 years now.

If you are coming to a stop = make sure your foot is unclipped before you stop. Easy.

If you panic because you are doing it too late - thats when it goes wrong. Remember its just twist rather than yanking at it.

• Options
    And learn how to trackstand really really well, just in case!
  • Options
    You need to set them up as loose as possible... And remember to twist your foot to get out of the clips. Do not try to pull your foot out
  • Options
    Same as Cougs never had a problem with them - a little twist so it's disengaged before you stop but with the foot still on the pedal - then just slide forwards and put that foot down as normal.    Are you new to cycling - in which case maybe spend some more time on the bike before trying them. 
  • Options
    everybody cocks up a bit at first... a bit like when you're learning to drive and you stall the car 16 times at a junction due to the stress of the growing queue of cars building up behind you

but it's easy. a quick twist (in good time!) and you're free. learn to read the road ahead and unclip (or get ready to unclip) at any potential sign of trouble (eg a queue of cars, a junction, etc etc).

no fear, if you decide that you can never use them, it's not an insurmountable problem. i've seen people (more than i can count on my fingers, but only just) do ironman races in normal flat pedals and trainers. you'll go a fair bit more slowly, but you'll still get there.
  • Options
    they were all the rage in the 70s.

you could, allegedly, even get transparent ones with goldfish inside them (obv they died afet a few days). that would never be allowed now. and people talk about "progress". progress my ar$e.
  • Options

I'm the oddity here but I've never had a problem with them, and I've ridden them for > 20 years now.

Not been clipped in as long as you cougs but not that much of an oddity!

Platforms are for duatherlons. Can't see why you can't use them but......................

Hard work and clipless pedals become worth it.

• Options

Dont you have to tighten the straps on platforms though ? Which means you have to get a hand down to the pedal before you stop ?  Clipless are a huge improvement over clips and straps.

TT - good = theres two oddities round here then (at least !)

• Options

I never found it hard work. First step though is probably being able to control your bike, which is easiest learnt as a kid, I expect. If you have issues with bike control, sort them out before stressing yourself with clipless pedals. Then have the clips on the loosest setting, ride up and down your road, clip in, unclip, tighten cleats, repeat. Or do it on the turbo.

BTW, the whole "you go faster because you're pulling up with your leg" myth really annoys me.

• Options

Yeah I think that when its been measured - its minimal the pulling up thing, although I do have a pal who swears by it, and it seemed to work for him.  I dont think I do it, but clipless are much better for riding with for me.

• Options
    For the record, I don't have a problem with bike control. image
  • Options

Your not pulling up. Clippless pedals give you the more flowing pedal action?

Plus bunny hops are so much easier!

• Options
    Still not practiced Bunny Hops on my fixed wheel !
  • Options

give me time cougie, give me time!

<not on the track, I may get a telling off>

• Options

Before I firet used clipsd I followed advise of practising clipping in and out while watching tv, I did most of my falling against the living room wall.

I find some pedals stiffer than others even when adjusted so have  have a few slo-mo sideways sprawls

• Options

What pedals are you using?

I'e never had a problem with looks on my road bike... but I'm on my fourth set of pedals on my MTB.... the latests ones being flat cause I just couldn't get my foot out of everything else I tried. With the first pair I couldn't get out even after falling off and had to lie on the ground waiting for Ponce to notice I'd stopped and then come and unclip me so I could get up!

On my hybrid I have spd one side and flat the other which is quite a good compromise but you need to be careful what shoes you use - carbon bike shoes on flat plastic pedals doesn't work!

• Options
    Lindi. - My pedals are spd-sl.
  • Options

They make great fishing reels though.

• Options
    The only fishing I've ever done has involved spearguns.
  • Options
    KK - I'm glad to hear I'm not the only one. I'm worried I'm going to destroy my bike if I keep falling over.
  • Options

KK

That spatula is heading for your ar*e!

• Options

PowerSauce:  Hello from a fellow pedal numpty.  I've only had mine for about a month but it's worth sticking with them.

I really struggled with my SPD-SLs even on the lightest setting.  Even TT admitted he found them awkward and really had to force his foot out and he’s stronger than me. 

Tried and changed to 'Look' and never looked back.  Of course I’ve landed on my face a couple of times but that was on both occasions clearly my fault in ‘failing to anticipate’ stuff and not having the experience yet of doing too many things at once, rather than the pedals. 

I push my heel down and twist it slightly inwards and out it pops.  It’s when I panic that instinct takes over and instinct makes me pull rather than push and twist, and since pulling out is exactly what they prevent you from doing you end up on your face.

Stick with them, it's worth it.

• Options
    I've had Looks on my road bike all that time, and Time Atac MTB pedals on the MTB/Winter bike - both are v easy to work.
  • Options

For the record, I don't have a problem with bike control.

Sorry, PowerSauce, I didnt mean to imply you did!! In that case, maybe the best thing is to loosen the cleats, find a quiet road, and practice. Two things to remember:

1. You dont have to unclip both pedals - you only need to put one foot down.
    2. If you select a point at which you're going to unclip, and you get there are then it isnt going to plan, start pedalling again. You dont have to fight and only make it in the nick of time. Obviously you do have to stop at some point though....

Other than that, its a twist, not a pull. Practice should be all you need!