Options

Tuesday 12th August 2008

put your lights on..

Early cheat really as its only 7:23 pm here, but anyway it will give gobi, sharkie et al a break!

What: 8 hilly miles

Why: Hilly run day

Last Hard: Saturday

Have a great day

Comments

• Options

morning

useful half's gobi and rach - rach did remarkably well after the bashing she took off the bike

catch - up  - you must be pleased with a pb when not running at race effort!  get the preparation right for the next one and it's pretty much guaranteed sub 2 hours

nice run nightnurse - you seem to have come seamlessly through the post FLM and new grandma phase with no adverse impact, very nice

FIN - what rotten luck with the ankle - hope it setles down quickly and lets you get on. seem to be going well and shifted up a  notch

ironmel - hope things are back on an even keel now and let you focus on your goal race (even if it isn't the original goal)

stickless - a rough few days but as ever you haven't let it hold you down, go girl

alehouse - gawsworth is a 'country' 10k i.e. a lot of off road and probably nearer 7 miles than 6 so not much chance of a pb.
    that said its a lovely route and a great atmosphere with some real quirkiness - start feels like a village fete and we were set off by ken barlow and the wintertons. prize money is astoundingly high as it's sponsored by astra zeneca who reside nearby.
    a nice stretch alongside the canal, a bit through a woods and some chured up farmland to negotiate before coming in to the finish.
    likely to be my next race if i've recovered

TR - great result for your boys and your boys
    yes, i saw pug's pic in the racephotos - he doesn't look as fat as he makes out image

hopefully get some swimming done today if the pool has reopened. i'm told that 'there's a problem with chlorination' is translated as  ' a small child has pooed in it'
    best keep your mouth shut

• Options

sorry trini - no luck with today's lyrics here

yesterday was the theme from shaft by isaac hayes.
    for those who don't remember his music he was more recently the voice of chef on southpark

• Options
    Morning all,

Very topical for the lyrics then? still don't think I've got any right so far.

Clink - thanks, it's what I needed to boost my confidence. But yes, i've learnt it's all in the planning. And going for a negative split seems to work for me.
    You could try swimming outside in the puddles - I'm sure they'll be deep enough by lunch time!

What: run with work (relay races I think is what's planned for a bit of fun)
    Why: It's Tuesday and I didn't organise it.
    Last rest: yesterday and I thoroughly enjoyed it.
    Lyrics: yeah right?
  • Options
    alehousealehouse ✭✭✭

Good morning...very quiet again.

What: 30 mins or so steady
    Why: cautious return to running most days
    Last hard: Mon 4th Aug
    Last rest: Last Fri?

Lyrics: no

Thanks for the detail re Gawsworth: I would quite fancy this as a training run as all my runs are off road (road doesn't currently agree with my fragile legs), but it is much further than I have run during the present comeback. However...? 

Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • Options

Morning!

Sorry to hear about the ankle FinCliffe

I presumed you were supporting Portsmouth, TR?

Sorry to hear you're binning the Canada race, Mel - but at least that will allow you to focus on Arizona? (Will help reduce your carbon footprint too!)

• What: Another run tonight.
    • Why: Bike and swim are operating well, so got to find some run fitness.

Have a great day.

• Options
    WaboWabo ✭✭✭

COS THERE'S MONSTERS....

morning all

trini think I am with you and these lyrics yes?

what: club handicap 5 miler tonight

why: not sure really its usually on a saturday

last hard: most days lately

last easy: asleep last night

take care all

possunt quia posse videntur - we can because we know we can 
  • Options

Morning all,

thanks for sympathies re the Canada race - and Holly you are right about the carbon! I've had 3 lots of transatlantic flights and one to Canada already this year, and will be flying to Arizona, so you are right.

What: 30 mins run d&d
    Why: was meant to be 60 but it was so cold and rainy and I only have summer kit so I bailed and came in and ate toast
    Last hard: riding into the wind yesterday
    Last rest: 4 Aug

Good runnings all.

• Options
    GobiGobi ✭✭✭
    Clink, without being rude Rach has bigger balls than most men I know.

What: 12+ miles on the Treadmill AM
    5-8 miles tempo lunchtime
    45 mins on the bike + 3.4 miles PM
    Gym - Strength chest and back followed by Vanity shoulders
    Swim ??
    Why: hiding from the rain this morning and the rest is just a normal Tuesday.
    Last hard: Sunday
    Last rest: 8th August
    Lyrics: nope

As for the Pug, I think the outfit has more issues than his weight does :~)
  • Options

Morning folks.

Another quiet start in here today.

Among others, NICE HMs from Gobi and Rach. Both sound very controlled. Some other useful racing going on too.

To catch up on the last few days...

...travelled up to Oban on Saturday afternoon, pre-Mull HM on Sunday. Just had a chilled evening and a decent scoff, spying other runners wandering about in their trainers.

Early ferry over on Sunday, meeting up with a big group of clubmates on the ferry, got off the boat and wandered along to registration. Loads of time to get changed etc. then a walk to the start about a mile away. Five minutes before the off, the heavens opened (torrentially!), which guaranteed a slip-slidy start to the race. I'd spied 3 quick guys in the field who'd leave me well behind, but hoped I'd missed someone else who might keep me company for part of the race at least. Off we went, and sure enough the 3 of them hared off, leaving me very quickly running on my own...it was going to be a solo effort for sure. Mile markers were all over the place, so I won't go into the detail of them (other than to say my mile splits apparently ranged from 4.59 to 6.02!). Felt strong and smooth for the first 8 miles as the weather improved and I knew I was running well. Then, mile 9 brought a headwind which made things a lot tougher for a couple of miles...just had to grit the teeth and get on with it. Bit of a hill at 11 miles which got the legs feeling a bit wobbly for the first time in the race, but soon got over it and was able to concentrate on getting to the finish. Kept working hard all the way to the line, crossing in 4th place in a new PB of 74.25!!! Yeeesssss!!! A new PB by 1min 29secs. And (hopefully) a place on the AAA Championship start at FLM next year...my letter is going off today. I knew I had something like this in me, but didn't know if I'd manage it in what was basically a solo time trial. Really feel like I'm now vindicating my decision not to take on an Autumn marathon this year. We also took the team prize in both the mens and ladies races. For the record the first 2 guys ran sub-69 with StuartG who used to post in these parts running a huge PB to finish 3rd in just outside 70mins!

Unfortunately, after running well last week, Mrs S had a bad one...she wasn't feeling too great on the ferry over, got stung just before the race, took an anti-histamine and felt sick from 5/6 miles on. A combination of factors which undoubtedly affected her race. But she got round and finished safely with a clubmate.

Celebrated the PB with a good few beers back in Oban on Sunday night, considered the idea of trying to jump on a 73.xx train with Gobi in the Glasgow HM in a few weeks, then headed back down the road early yesterday afternoon (binned the idea of doing a hillwalk on the way down as the weather was rotten).

Went along to the club last night for an easy run...7.5 miles in 56mins. Hammies a bit tight but nothing untoward.

For today...

What: an easy 6 or 7 miles at lunchtime
    Why: recovery

Have a great day.

• Options
    morning all,
    where has the summer gone ?

chucking it down up north today!

What : am : 8miles (1st 20mins without the rain and the last 35mins in a mega downpour)
    lunchtime : easy 30mins
    pm : speed work tonight (2 x 1 miles, 4 x 800's, 4x400's)
    followed by massage.

Why : Marathon training

• Options
    WaboWabo ✭✭✭
    nice one scobos, and nice to hear about stuart g.  Sorry to hear about mrs s race though, hope she enjoyed your celebrations.
    possunt quia posse videntur - we can because we know we can 
  • Options
    Back later for proper read, but see here: running benefits
  • Options

Scobos - Nice work on the PB  - worth the celebrations afterwards.  Shame about your Mrs but a least she had the company to get her round.

Gobi - avoiding the rain!!!!??? Wish i had access to a treadmill, but I'm braving it out later on (trying to avoid the quagmire that the field has turned into)image

pain - Sounds like the marathon training is well under control.  (unike mine was, but at leas it's back on track now)

• Options

Morning..

What do you mean PIOATT..where has the summer gone ?..it was never here to start with... 

Scobos..very well done on the shiny new pb..that is an awesome time.. and far from perfect conditions with that head wind...

Clink..."nice" but at least you can tell when someone has poohed in a pool..but wee? well thats different..best not dwell too much on that....have a nice swim..image

What : easy 8

Why: recovery

Last hard : ?

Last rest : 3 days;

• Options
    GobiGobi ✭✭✭
    Catchup - I train all year and sometimes it is nice to be dry :~0

Scobos - surely a 73.xx bus at Glasgow GREAT RUN MATE !!!!!!!!!!!
  • Options

Great PB , Scobos.

Club Night tonight so 7-8M with about the same cycling. Legs have returned to normal today but my hips flexors are quite tight so will probably take tonight quite gently.

What : Easy 7-8
    Why: Club Night
    Last hard : Sunday
    Last rest : Monday

Have a great one all.

• Options

Fantastic race scobos, enjoy the shiny new PB!

Wabo - spot on with the lyrics!

George Bovell just won his heat in the 100m freestyle, so Trinidad has gone crazy!

Still summer here!

• Options

Hi all

Back from London last night, back to work today - boo hoo!

London Tri - Scoobs attempt at the oly distance!
    Pre Race hopes:

• swim survive, stay calm, anything between 30 and 35 mins would be lovely, no sinking and no breastroke
    • T1 - find bike and do not get lost
    • Bike - go as fast as I can - 1.30 please
    • T2 - ditch helmet and RUN (and remember where to go)
    • Run - run all the way  - no walking - in one hour please

Time - anything under 3.30 would be good, at best 3.15 would be fab!

Saturday - Journey up = 8 hours instead of 4. Appalling traffic. Rack bike - oooh this event is massive - wibble! And chocolate brownie induced stomach troubles - ooooh so sore and inflamed. Saturday night = up and down due to tum.
    Sunday - bleary eyed trip to excel. Time on my own in transition to calm myself down, take in all the different exits and entrances for swim, bike and run. Chill and try to chill some more. Then off to swim assembly feeling absolutely terrified about the swim. Thinking calm thoughts - rather desperately.

Swim
    ''oooh they all look really professional and then there is me'', as I perched red swim cap on head and tried to zip up my wetsuit. Panic panic panic. Deeep breaths- for goodness sake woman - CALM down!
    Into water - arrrghhh they're all getting in! Oh I'm in! Swim over to start. ''There is no way I'm going in that scrum thing of wetsuits''. YIKES - where are the blue bouys we are to swim out to? I can't see them anywhere. Ahh there is a bridge, I'll head for that. Right I shall be the back marker and so I was. image

oooh we're off! Front crawl please, no cheating. Awww this is ok actually. I have lots of room. image Ahh I quite like this. Weeee - ahem - in both senses. Started overtaking lots and making my way up. Fab outwards swim, felt fine. Ahhh those blue bouys are actually HUGE! Round we go. But then oh dear, what is going on, there are swimmers everywhere! Some are doing breastroke - froggy leg kicks - grr. And some seem to like zig zagging all over the place - arrrggghhh. Totally boxed in for most of the way back. Tried getting around, all sorts without too much success. One woman was simply all over the place, merrily swimming horizontally across the course right into me - many times! GRR! Oooh this seems to be taking forever! Me no like this - yuk, I want out!

Then up and out we get. YEEHAW I did the swim with not a sign of breastroke. Scoobs jumps up and down and waves arms about and forgets that she is in a race for a minute. Waves to Mr Scoobs. Has a fight with wetsuit as won't come off leg - hop hop hop. Misses bag completely, scrummages around to get it in. Waves to AJH - HI AJH, I have survived the swim - YEY! Then oh! I must now go to the bike - oh yeah that is next, oops forgot what I was doing for a bit!

• Options
    T1 - dire! Fight with wetsuit, jumping about being silly, then got in a fight with my socks - very slow - oops! Stuffed down a gel - OPEN you stupid packet! Found my bike fine though! image

Onto my trusty hybrid. So safe and secure on it. OOOH nasty headwind - huff puff. Phewee! Push now scoobs this is the bit you know you can do, so give it some wellie gal! YEEHAW, I adore the bike. Overtook and overtook some more. Zippadeedoodah! Then oooooh how exciting, my bike computer says 1st lap in 41 mins. Crikey! How did that happen? OOOH I may be quicker than I thought then. YEY!PUSH PUSH PUSH for 2nd lap then, no slacking, and wheeeeeeeeeee through the tunnel breaking the 30mph speed limit for a little bit there - he he! Loved the bike, drank my drink and had a ball. Said HI to all other hybrid riders too. image Had to watch it as the guys were coming through, so lots of checking before pulling out etc, but all was fine. Back to T2 then.

Run
    Oh hec! I'm worried about this. Ok take it careful and see how we go. one pace plod, round we go, boring route, but some nice music. Mr bananaman came past - hi mr bananman. Keep going and think how good it will feel when on 2nd lap. Careful with pace as do not want to end up walking. NO WALKING allowed. 2nd lap - oooh I actually feel ok! BLIMEY! Tired, puffy but not desperately hanging on for grim death. When to up pace then? Pretty tired now, tried to up pace = not great! ooooh look there's the 9k!! Flippen hec I'm going to do it all running - YEY! Bet it's taken me about an hour and 10 though. image Hey who cares! Finished - YIPEEEE! I DID IT and I LOVED IT! Me happy happy. imageimage

What is that 15.46 on clock? why put up 15 minutes and 46 seconds on clock?? HUH?? Me no understand. Oh well must be some other race... Thought no more about it and had no idea what time I'd done........
  • Options

Times

Swim - 37.23
    T1 - 6.14 - oops image
    Bike - 1.22:55 - YEY!
    T2 - 1.29 - YEY speedy or what!
    Run - 58.20
    Time overall - 3.06:20

Swim disappointed, done quicker in the pool. Way back was hard as found out we had headwind, even so, not sure what happened there.
    T1 - less faffing required and more concentrating
    Bike - elated with
    T2 - ditto
    Run - mixed, pleased as under the hour and ran it all but can't help comparing and knowing so slow compared to pre achilles - boo hoo.
    Overall time - elated with as had thought 3.15 would be the ticket. YEY!

Lovely event, liked it a lot and will be back next year for at least a sub 3. I am going to get a road bike by xmas now.

• Options
    Scooby - I keep pressing F5 in the hope that the dots mean there is more to come...
  • Options
    ...and there it was - crossed posts...
  • Options
    Oh and the 15.46? Well that was the time of day wasn't it!!  imageHow could I be so totally dim!  imageDOH!!!  image
    I finished at 15.46. Dear oh dear!
  • Options

Scoobs - you have me chuckling from the gut, great story, I can see it all! Well done, new road bike next year and youl be well under 3!

My niece did the sprint on the Saturday as her first ever Tri in a tad over 1:30 (she was just a swimmer). The photos show 400 people in the water at the start of her swim, so I can imagine the chaos at the start!

• Options

Great stuff - Scooby - had to wait for the final bit before I could settle down to my post!

I'm just back from a lunch time run.  Yesterday the BBC News website was singing the praises of lunch time runs (better overall productivity) and today it was singing the praises of running in general (slows down the ageing process, apparently).

What: 6M with 6x800m reps thrown in
    Why: less than 8 weeks to Cricklade Half with Swindon Half the following weekend - need to be fitter than I am at the moment
    Last hard: just done it
    Last rest: yesterday

So, goal for 800m reps was 3.20 (1 min/mile faster than HMP).  It was rather windy out there and you can tell which direction the wind was blowing from my splits: 3.19 (sensible), 3.03 (got a bit carried away as I was blown along), 3.14 (ok), 3.12 (bit fast but wind assisted), 3.32 (wheels came off a bit against the wind) and 3.08.  Pleased overall, although a bit disappointed at the fifth one.

• Options
    Pammie*Pammie* ✭✭✭

Well done Scooby, thats truly marvellous. You have put a smile on my face

And good on yer, going back next year. Sub 3 here you go

SGQ - Yeah lunchtime runs yay they rock, do most of my runs around that time. Good 800s

What: 5 miles easy - alledgedlly (but felt hard cos of strong headwind for at least half of the run)
    Why: Running is good for you
    Last Hard: Sundays run or todays headwind take yer pick
    Lyrics - Fraid not

• Options
    SGQ - I'd love to lunch time run, but it's just too damn hot, even for me. I can't stand dreadmills so the gym is out. Nice to hear it's keeping me young though!
  • Options

Scoobs - a great story teller and a nice (choatic) race by the sounds of it too!

• Options

Yay!! Go Scoobs. So glad you enjoyed it.

I will join you there next year providing I survive everything up till then image