Options

BIG THIGHS!!!

Comments

• Options

I am going to take umbrafge now booney

you saying i have short leggs???????????

SNIFF!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Options

Just seen Roger bacons post

• Options

could be worse ...could be him

• Options

Ooh bird's legs!

Real men can't fit into levi's apparently as their thighs are too muscley image

Maybe we could apply this to women...?

• Options

is it not because their bellies are too big?

(I miss my levis image)

• Options

Cruel booney, cruel

(I quite fancy him actually)

Siance-erm , so its the clothes

YEAH!!!!!!!!!

(cept they have got bigger innit)

• Options
    he looks like Mr Muscle after a bad bout of something !image
  • Options

Glad I'm a fat lad tbh.

I don't want to ever be so skinny.

Running hasn't made my legs bigger - at least I don't think so. But I would imagine that a lot of hill running could build up your quads - if thats the right word - the big muscles around your a*rse.

• Options
    thats glutes ..quads are the big muscles in your thighs
  • Options
    Ah - thank you.
  • Options
    I have met johnny blaze and i can say he is not fat at all!
  • Options

Booney, you are crewel but funnoi

• Options

Golly,  Yifter, or what ever yourname is .. i think i will just top myself now  !!!! Thank you for making me feel so much better and ADVISING me about how to ACTUALLY do something about my "FAT THIGHS!!" 

Its a good job your not a personal trainer..

All i want is to know the best type of  running/exercise/hills/flat for not bulking up legs-as mentioned in my first message-if you feel that running should not bulk my legs up then just say that.

I know i am not a "serious athlete"... i do running because i enjoy it and to keep trim!!   

I work full time so i will never be able to do a 200 hour week running schedule . i just want to get the best out of time i do run!

• Options

Hey again,

I always found that when I put on a little weight I have a natural propensity to add them to the hips/waist area. The OH's waist stays the same but the thighs increase in size. Conversely, the last place I loose inches from is the waist.

We come in all shapes and sizes. The main thing is to find a weight you're comfortable with and get used to your body shape.

Scientifically speaking (and I'm no scientist) I read somewhere that people have different types of muscle fibre that do different things. That's why a naturally skinny individual will never become Mr Universe but could achieve a reasonable size with what he has. My advise .... be the best YOU can be. You'll be a lot happier for it. Stuff what other people think are IDEAL. That changes with time anyway.

MS

• Options

well you wouldn't make a very good one!

As i said i work full time so i dont have the time to run all hours god sends- I do have a  life as well.

If you knew me, which you don't .,. thank god.. you would know that i don't "over-eat"- i eat grapefruit and salads and meat  so actually i am trying to loose the weight with diet and exercise! 

all i wanted was some tips from some other runners and instead i feel like i'm getting verbally attacked.

Please do not post any comments if you haven't anything positive to say

• Options

Scotmouse, thank you for inspriation comments... your right ..i will never be a size 0 !! but i'm a comfortable 8-10  you always want wat you cant have or the impossible I'm not buiid to be ultra skinny- Ive never been ultra skinny then piles on the £££... i used to be 11stone so ive done well really.

another thing really i want to know

My clothes all fit me really but the scales say ive put on the £££ all my family and friends say "muscle weighs heavier than fat" is that true!!! could all the weight be in my legs??    he he he

Melly  

• Options

Melanie, Yifter is a PT.

A Personal Troll.

• Options

he he he he yes.. now thats inspiration! thank you

Mxx

• Options

Melanie,

I put on muscle really easily.  I used to have a bit of a hormone imbalance and therefore built muscle if I so much looked at a weight bench.  I used to do a lot of gym work and I started to look like a german shot putter. imageimage Not a good look.

I do yoga to lengthen the muscles.  I also do a lot of stretches after running.  I now see it as part of my running schedule. 

I do find that sprinting and hill training build my thighs up (just look at the different build between a sprinter and a  marathon runner)   Also have the same prob with cycling.

I have embraced my muscles and am very proud of my legs. 

and no Yifter I am not fat.  I am a very healthy 8.5 stone and 5ft 5.  My weight doesn't move much but sometimes I can feel that my thighs are bigger.  (sorry forgot, do not feed the troll)

My thighs are feeling a bit big at the mo as I have been doing a bit more gym work but I know that they will go back down with a change in training.  I will be back to marathon training soon and that soon shrinks them down (along with everything else)

Just stay off the cross trainer and stairmaster and do lots of long held stretches and yoga/pilates. image

• Options
    Melanie - Hippos tend to eat a lot of greenery - but they still bulk up impressively ! (not you Hipps !)

I think its your head you need to look at - not your thighs.

Its pointless comparing to your husbands thighs and just saying you want slimmer thighs than him. Whats the basis for this ?

You're measuring your thighs now - but you didnt do that to begin with - so you dont know that they have even bulked up ?

Just be happy that you are healthy and in very good shape - its not good to be obsessive about things. Enjoy the running and forget about weight and tape measures.

Have fun !
  • Options
    "muscle weighs heavier than fat" is that true!!!

no

a kilo of muscle weighs the same as a kilo of fat - the density is however different so a kilo or muscle will take up less space than a kilo of fat.

as many new runners get fitter they lose fat and gain muscle, so you may look leaner but be heavier at the same time.
  • Options
    Still not sure what the problem is.  All this talk of large, firm thighs - I'm off for a cold shower.
  • Options
    yep, well said FB, that's like the old chestnut about which is heavier, a pound of sand or a pound of feathers.
  • Options

I had a rather large friend (5ft 4 & 20 stone) who was convinced that fat actually turned into muscle.

Would have loved to have seen all his fat turn to muscle.  Would have been a very strange shape.  Strange stomach muscles etc.

• Options

thank you for that...

This is the type of stuff i wanna know 

I do try and stretch a lot but do find it incredibly boring... I started to to use the wave rider at the gym (like a skiing) last month do you think this may have been a bad move!! i used to do 30mins on it.. thinking it would make my legs slimmer!??

I have never tried Pilates or Yoga.... it almost makes me wanna sleep the thought of it as i love to get the heart rate going and sweat as i feel like i'm actually doing something.. so you think i should try pilates/yoga then?   

Wish i was 8.5stne but i will never be that i think my healthy weight is 9.6stone- all the people that know me don't think ive put weight on but i would like to see the weight go down on the scales... I do running because i do enjoy it but i want to be slimslim slim !!!

do you think if i do longer distances, and more miles that may be better as recently and especially to the run up to the GNR i started doing fast short runs rather than doing lots of 90min runs on the treadmill !??

Mmelly

• Options
    To some extend you just have to learn to live with your genetics.  Some women just bulk quicker than others.  When I was weight training with a female friend of mine we both did the same running mileage, had a similar diet, were squatting the same weights doing the same sets and reps yet she bulked up really quickly and I didn't.  It's just the way it goes.  She could stretch and do yoga until she's blue in the face it won't change her genetic predisposition to build muscle relatively quickly for a woman.  She didn't like it...  I thought she looked great.  The grass is always greener on the other side.  Drive yourself mad or learn to live with it.
  • Options

Mel,

I do find that the wave rider does bulk up my legs.  Also builds up my bum, which Mr Shimmy likes but he is not the one who has to fit it into a nice pair of trousers.

I do the stretches watching TV after my run so I have already got the heart going and it is now cool down time.  And if you are watching TV then it stops you getting too bored.

I find Yoga good for relaxation, that is kinda the whole point.  Enjoy it and treat it as quiet time for yourself.

Edit - Plus listen to Nam, learn to love yourself.  You can do a bit to change things but only to a certain point.