Options

Roth 2010

Comments

• Options

As I thunk I have said (really having to concentrate here because I am falling under the affluence of incohol) I am happy to post the pack I have to someone.  I bought them for Bala but never got round to putting them on, so if someone PM's we with an address I will put them in 1st class post pronto

(seems I have two keyboards, must be the contact lens playing up)

• Options

They really look good - will they stay on during the swim though? same with the nail varnish - my toenails are painted red and I have to re-do them after every swim.

Note to self - look for yellow nail varnish tomorrow when out shopping.

• Options

Have PM you Schmunkee much better than the idea SP had - expected me to paint the scull and crossbone on myself.

Tried the pirate top on today which gave SP loads of fun - these tops are not kind to those of us with boobs, he thought I could run with just the support in the top, I wish, but think they'd end up down by my feet by the end. image

• Options

Hi Lou

Just a quick post from a "normal runner" well sort of to say good luck to you allimage

• Options

Other additions to the drugs cabinet for those of you struggling with injury. 

<voice of experience>

There may be times when you have swallowed too many drugs and are still looking for some additional pain relief. Taking the "magic sponge" approach, in the past I have found these to be helpful..

"Deep Freeze" - pentane/menthol topical spray in aerosol can. This is effectively a local pain killer you spray on to anaesthetise the area that is causing the problem. It is effective and could probably be used fairly frequently although instructions say no more than 3 times a day.  Downside is the aerosol can makes it cumbersome to take with you. Perhaps worth adding to your transition/special needs bag. Keep your hands off any are you have applied it to - see below.

"Deep Relief" - ibuprofen/levomenthol gel in metal tube.  Basically an ibuprofen gel with the added benefit of menthol anaesthesia. This is helpful if you have already been taking NSAIDs orally, or, if like me you suffer from stomach problems and are unable to take them. Again the instructions say 3 times a day but I have used it more frequently without adverse effects. The tube is not too big and can be stuck in your back pocket to take with you on run/bike.

Word of warning - do not apply this with bare hands, get a plastic bag to stick the tube and some surgical gloves in and use the gloves to apply. Ditch the glove once it has been used.

Do not touch the area you have applied either of these to otherwise the menthol stays on your hands and rubs off onto anything you touch such as face, eyes, (and, if you are a man or "a special lady", your dick when you have a piss - no I will not elaborate!).

Possible other addition for bike/run if you are having knee problems is a neoprene support - they can work, but can also make you look as much of an old crock as me, so not to be considered if you are at all vain.

</voice of experience>

<untried possible addition>

People often talk about having gut problems during the race. I generally do have a problem with acid guts but this is controlled on a daily basis by an H2 blocker or Proton Pump Inhibitor and I have never suffered with problems eating/drinking/digesting/cr*pping during a race. I know of some athletes who have resorted to things like Gaviscon during the race and found this helpful. If you have had problems in the past it may be worth trying something like Ranitidine or Omeprazole (both of which are available over the counter in the UK) on the morning of the race.  I would suggest that if you are going to try this approach you try it for at least a couple of days before the race to ensure you don't suffer from any of the side effects.

</untried possible additions>

I take no responsibilty if any of these suggestions screw up your race in any way.

• Options

Found some yellow nail varnish!

Specially for meldy - guess what I saw in a local shop today?  A black baseball cap with.........yellow lurex skull'n'bones all over. Perfect match to my socks!

No I didn't buy one.

40c today.

• Options
    JjJj ✭✭✭
    FORTY!?!?

[downsizes already small case to a clutch bag jus' for li'l vest and knix coz it's going to be too hot to wear anything at this rate]
  • Options
    Tired Legs (Mrs Punch) wrote (see)

Tried the pirate top on today which gave SP loads of fun - these tops are not kind to those of us with boobs, he thought I could run with just the support in the top, I wish, but think they'd end up down by my feet by the end. image

Men haven't a clue, have they?!

Was thinking with Schmunkee's nail transfers, if you stuck them on then put clear varnish over the top to seal them it might help.

(Note that I'm full of suggestions for nail varnish stuff, but couldn't offer any help about anything technical like bike stuff).

• Options
    Mrs FunkinMrs Funkin ✭✭✭
    40 degrees.  Oh heavens.  Must find skirt to pack instead of trousers at this rate...having to get legs out is not good.  Poor spectators around me...luckily for everyone I shall not take jj's option image
  • Options
    Artful Hen wrote (see)
    Was thinking with Schmunkee's nail transfers, if you stuck them on then put clear varnish over the top to seal them it might help.
    There are instructions in the packet, but this suggestion would probably work
  • Options
    Sadly, Myweather's forecast shows a chilly 25C for race day with 28C on party day image
  • Options

image That'll do for me image

• Options

Fine with me....

Anyone planning on going for a bit of a swim at the course on fri and sat morning? 6am to 9:30am ... 

• Options

Maybe, we'll see. But not Friday, we won't be there till afternoon.

Sadly? 25c wil do me nicely, thank you! But our forecasters are not showing any drop in temps yet.

• Options
    Pkim, certainly one of those days, see how things are when we get there.

IW - sadly for me, loved France in the 30s a couple of years ago, nice 'n' toasty
  • Options
    Ultra Ironwolf wrote (see)

Found some yellow nail varnish!

Specially for meldy - guess what I saw in a local shop today?  A black baseball cap with.........yellow lurex skull'n'bones all over. Perfect match to my socks!

No I didn't buy one.

40c today.

too late Wolfy!  I found one of these in a gift shop in Cheddar a few years ago   image

I'll go for 28+ rather then 25 and below .... 

for the girlies, you need some of the special potion that Min brought me to put over the nail varnish,  survived 1 pool and 1 lake swim so far so I have high hopes for the weekend.   One cant cross the finish with chipped nails   image

• Options
    Pkim - I'm aiming to swim on the Friday am.  Saturday's Big Excitement will be racking and I can't have too much excitement in one day.
  • Options

Pkim...i am up for the Friday morning swim, and possibly the Friday eve night run...anyone else?image

AH...what time is AG racing on Friday?

• Options
    Interesting BTS. I've wondered for a while whether by taking lots of ibuprofen and immodium I added to my heat problems in Austria 2007.
  • Options
    Tonks - according to my embedded translater, 6.30pm on Friday is Goose's race.
  • Options
    Artful Hen wrote (see)
    Have just had a new post-service  creak investigated on my headset.  Bearing. £40 image

You've only had the bike a few months and you've shat the bearing already ? You *have* been stealth training !

Gumps. wrote (see)

Interesting BTS. I've wondered for a while whether by taking lots of ibuprofen and immodium I added to my heat problems in Austria 2007.

I always race on a diet of ibuprofen and immodium, but there is a fair chance you're going a bit quicker than me so maybe it only affects proper aferletes ....

</sandbagging alert>

Anyone else feeling a bit dodgy after the quick dip at Datchet yesterday? Had a runny nose and sore throat since, and felt the same after going there last week as well. Or maybe it's just anaphylactic shock to swim training .....

<sandbagging alert>

• Options
    debbodebbo ✭✭✭
    top sandbagging Kanga

I'm doing a 7 mile race at the Much Wenlock Olympics today - home of the inventor of the modern 'real' olympics

I expect I'll knacker my legs and ruin my chances of a win at Woff image
  • Options
    This time next Sunday........ image
  • Options

I'll hopefully be out of the water and caning the bike imageimage

• Options

Is there a recent list of who's doing this and our start times?

• Options
    List ? Paging Ms Schmunkee to the Roth thread, Ms Schmunkee to Roth ....
  • Options

Yes, we need a list of start numbers etc. And perhaps who's staying where?

Numbers

Artful Hen - 635

Camping at Waldsee
    Artful Hen and Goose

Kanga - I know - that bloody bearing thing.  He said it was a rubbish one and the new one should last four or five times as long.  I put it down to over-zealous bike washing.

• Options
    JjJj ✭✭✭
    You should put it on a gentler ... ahem ... cycle.

• Options
    Hope you all have a good one next week guys.  I'll be plodding round Kent 50 but will be thinking of you.  Well anything to take my mind of the task in hand!!