Options

Roth 2010

1194195196197198200»

Comments

• Options
    Another vote for pedals and QRs here, it's one of my specialities!
  • Options
    Well some of us liked the flooded bentobox and the soggy helmet pads image
  • Options
    Good luck this weekend, Symes!!! Will be thinking of you while on the way to Greece image. image
  • Options
    A rough draft of the race report is winging it's way to my editor at this moment.... image
  • Options
    Not to mention the soaking bike gloves, shoes and socks!
  • Options
    image  It's ok, I haven't mentioned them image
  • Options
    Hurry up HH - am going on hols tomorrow...
  • Options

Beforehand Stuff

Obviously this was all DTB’s fault image

I found myself entering this race not being able to swim at all (and with a fear of open water), but assured that I’d have no problem…..

Learning a new skill is very interesting and, in this case, very challenging – at the beginning of the year, having done a couple of lengths (with stops) to demonstrate my “ability” to our club’s swim coach, I then informed him that I would be doing an Ironman distance race in July….the look on his face gave me all the required feedback – it would be an uphill challenge!

I Swim

Surprisingly I didn’t feel that nervous before the swim – getting lubed up and into some rubber with fellow pirates seemed to have a calming effect on me! image

Into the water and the gun seemed to go off a bit too early, not that it would make that much difference to me anyway…

The swim was mostly uneventful and boring…..apart from when I managed to beach myself 3 times on the 2k return leg! As with everyone else, I found that the bridge near the finish kept on moving further and further away…..Eventually I got to the finish and exited the water after 1:51 – under 2 hours, which was my goal and surprisingly I wasn’t last in my wave!

T1

I spent some time making offerings to various gods for not letting me drown and then casually dressed for the bike leg.

• Options

I Bike

Out onto the bike course, waving to the pirate supporters and shouting “I survived the fucking swim!” on the way past image

The roads were lovely and I was soon going along quite merrily, but unfortunately around 20/30 miles I started to get pain in my lower back, something I’d had before but usually much further into a long ride. This meant that for the rest of the ride I couldn’t stay in one position for long – very annoying!

Around the time I started getting back pain I passed Kanga who looked like he’d just emerged from the bushes with another cyclist – I obviously wasn’t surprised by this(!) , but was surprised that he wasn’t riding ……

Anyway, I continued on the first lap until I arrived in (G)Reading – fortunately DTB, Trogs and myself had recc’d the course a couple of days before and I knew that I was in for 5 miles of mostly uphill. Once I’d started I realised that it wasn’t as bad as I’d feared and I was able to progress faster than originally anticipated. Which was nice image

Coming down the other side was fun fun fun and I couldn’t wait for the second loop! It was fairly undulating and pleasant for a while and then it was into Hip Hop Stein and the Solarerberg. Wow – an absolutely amazing feeling cycling up the hill whilst being shouted at by a bunch of mentalists!

As I approached the end of the first loop (getting a big shout from the pirate supporters on the bridge) I realised that despite me seemingly taking it easy, I’d actually been going faster than I’d intended, and so decided to ease up a bit just in case I suddenly bonked.

Onto the second lap and I was surprised to see Meldy-pops emerging from the bushes  ahead (seems to be a bit of a theme for pirates as I’d also spotted UIW doing the same!) – I slowed and had a brief chat but had to move on as a draft buster chose that moment to appear (you never see them when people are cheating etc etc).

A few miles from (G)Reading FB caught up with me and we exchanged some pleasantries(!) before he tootled off. Going up the long drag I was surprised to catch him back up (cramp was his pathetic excuse) and pass him, uttering the words “It’s only a fucking hill” in a bid to encourage him image

We yo-yo’d up and down backwards and forwards over the next 10/15 miles or so until gravity won and he pulled away from me, not be to overtaken by me again.

The rest of the ride was pretty uneventful – there were fewer mentalists on the Solarerberg, although the ones who remained were still pretty mental and helped me to zoom uphill. All of a sudden I was on the final 2 miles down to T2 – I saw the Gasthof sign on the right (Gasthof – change gear) and spun the rest of the way, managing to not hit some idiot who was trying to get his feet out of his shoes and weaving all over the place.

T2

I’d stressed about forgetting to take my Garmin off the bike before it was whisked away, but fortunately I remembered it. Apart from that T2 was nice and relaxing – I had a chat with the nice German lady who was holding my bag, although she seemed rather keen to get rid of me for some reason….

Out of the tent and I saw TB on the other side of the railings, so I had a quick chat, gave him a (manly) hug, had a dance with the sponge girls by the timing mat, and then I was off!

• Options

I Run

Nice and easy was the name of the game for the run – I was pretty sure I’d be able to ‘zoom’ round but wanted to ensure I finished and be able to enjoy it. I didn’t find the course that boring (probably something to do with being used to running next to canals) - it was great that every once in a while a cheerful pirate came along and it was high five time!

Of course, seeing Kanga mincing along first of all confused me for a moment image

When Foggy and I passed he very kindly informed me that DTB was only ‘one klick away’, but I think his judgement of distance is a bit rubbish as I didn’t see her come along for quite a while......getting a snog (from DTB!)during a marathon is well skill! As well as being pleased to see her, I was also delighted to see that she hadn’t done her usual marathon trick and picked up a bloke…

Heading back to the bridge and the halfway point I saw Meldy coming along and gave her a (not sweaty!) hug, then it was halfway with Rosey and family shouting words of encouragement (at least I think they were words of encouragement!).

One advantage of having a slow swim meant that I was now passing loads of people. Which was nice image

I eventually caught DTB and thought I’d run with her for a little while but she politely told me to bugger off, so away I went.

The remainder of the run was nice and steady –Pkim and I passed each other just before the bridge back into Roth, with him yelling ‘How far to the turnaround? How far to the turnaround?’ image

The final few k were great – going through Roth was a real buzz and before I knew it, I was nearing the finish.

Seeing the pirate support there, yelling and cheering for me was absolutely amazing and something I’m unlikely to forget image

The final 100m seemed to disappear in the blink of an eye and then I was over the finish line!

This nice young lady came forward and looped a medal over my neck – I asked ‘Did you win?’, ‘Yes’ she replied, ‘Well done you’ I said…..

I knew that DTB wouldn’t be finishing too far behind me, so decided to wait for her in the finish area, chatting to other finishers. Then, there she was, smiling (just for a change), finishing her second one of these things, knocking an hour and ten minutes off last year’s time – I’m rather proud of her you know.

Finish time 12.48.21

• Options

Random Ramblings

I survived the fucking swim! image

Thanks to all the pirates and supporters – it’s amazing how much it helps being part of a group of weirdoes.

It’s strange – I know I was smiling most of the way round, but I look like I’m in the zone (miserable) in all of the photos….

Very bad luck to the DNFers – you had unfortunate days, but as Candy said, no-one died and I’m sure that Ironman distance races haven’t seen the last of you image

If I hadn’t gone on to do the second horrible lap of the swim at the Swashbuckler in May, I don’t think I’d have taken part at Roth.......

You can do a half Ironman distance race as your first tri and then do a full as your second.

Apologies for thrusting a sweat-soaked cap at the supporters at the finish image

Roth is a great event – I was very impressed!

I followed DTB’s training example and averaged just over 8 hours a week, instead of the 15 I should have done image

I know I can go faster – Roth was about learning if I could do it and making sure I finished.

If I do another one, I would be more selfish with my time – a fair percentage of the missed training hours were due to not being able to say no to things.

It is only a fucking hill image

I Am Triathlon

Apparently I am – I did those three things, one after another, on the same day and really really enjoyed it.

Apart from the swim, obviously.

• Options
    hairier half wrote (see)

...getting a snog (from DTB!)during a marathon is well skill! As well as being pleased to see her...

...and that just proves romance ain't dead image  Ace report HH.  The only question I have is what would you have done if Chrissie told you she didn't win?  

Here's to the next one, wherever it may be (Antipodean Adventure, anyone?).

• Options

You are triathlon HH!  Welcome to the Challenge family ...yadda yadda

Well done, great report!  Congrats! image

It's starting to look I was having a bit of a turnaround obsession during the run .... which I totally think I was! 

• Options
    hairier half wrote (see)
     I was also delighted to see that she hadn’t done her usual marathon trick and picked up a bloke…
    Hmph! image

Actually I did run with a jolly nice chap for a while, but then realised he was nine min miling and I would blow up if I didn't drop back lol! image

But well done Mr Pottymouth! image
  • Options
    JjJj ✭✭✭
    Aaaaawwwwwwwww - that was such a nice report! imageimageimageimage

So pleased you survived the fucking swim...
  • Options
    JjJj ✭✭✭
  • Options
    image HH made Jj say a norty word! image
  • Options
    Great report HH! You did look jolly happy on the run! You ARE triathlon!

So THAT'S what you were saying when you started the bike - we couldn't work it out!
  • Options

A report worth waiting for Hairier image

• Options
    Great reports Kanga and HH, shame you weren't given the opportunity to nail another one Kanga, well dont HH for surviving the fucking swim image
  • Options

I built his bike you know.

But I never ever taught him to fucking swim. Namely cos I fucking cant!

Good report HH. You are indeed triathlon. Well done mate.

• Options
    HH

OC says great report!

So when are you both entering regensburg. Afterall you can swim now!