Options

Roth 2010

Comments

• Options

A super trip, enjoyed the party on Monday, was very surprised to see we had been there 7 hours! Am not too down about the DNF because you can't do anything about injuries and I did manage to get through both the swim and bike ok. Congrats to all, thanks to ALL for your support ( including Bassy, give us a hug next time we meet?).

Pirates rock!!!!!

• Options
    fat buddhafat buddha ✭✭✭
    CD - I just joined in the naked festivities - one cold water hose and lots of naked males and females in the open air......not a lot left to the imagination!

PS - mail me CD as I need you address to send your Fastest Pirate shield to.....
  • Options
    Hello! Just a quickie to say thanks to everyone - am in work now so will pop in later.
  • Options

Thanks for all the support - haven't had time to read back yet, got back last night and needed the pub after that drive.

Well that was as they say a bad day at the office - mostly my fault for not doing the training required, high 5 gels and bars are replusvie and finally when I though I was cramping on the run happend to be an injury.  Neigh mind finished just, the  team got their medals which was the only thing keeping me going as I didn't want to be lynched, but the best bit we all got our photo taken with Chrissie, who also gave us our medals.

Of to the phyiso at lunch time to find out what the hell I've done to me leg.

Thank god at Outlaw I'm just on the feed station and sherpering.image

• Options

Well limped TL.

Showers in T2 ? Who showers before the run ? Bunch of ponces. Next you'll be telling me people were wearing compression socks...

• Options
    JjJj ✭✭✭
    Blige - HOW many pages to catch up on?!?!

teehee@ everyone's compression socks. Loved Bassy's calf guards. His legs are so long they look more like wrist bands on the wrong extremities. image
  • Options
    fat buddhafat buddha ✭✭✭
    the shower was for the relay guys Cougs so we could wash all the salt/spilt gels/piss off before settling down with a few beers while the runners did their bit....

as for compression socks - there were rather a lot of horrible bright pink mesh ones about. the germans do have some bizarre colour combinations
  • Options
    http://www.runnersworld.co.uk/members/images/272449/Gallery/CRCQ1716.jpg

Report later... all afferletes, photos are here

http://www.marathon-photos.com/scripts/event.py?event=Sports/GKDE/2010/Challenge%20Roth

And as photos go they are pretty good. I even look like I know what im doing.

Top support both out there and online as normal, good work everyone.
    See I have a sensitive side Melli. Although I am a bit miffed that you prefer cuddling your partner than me, blimey he gets to cuddle you every day. you need to share more!image 

• Options
    OMG just looked at the photos - yuk of me as per norm great ones of SP.
  • Options

Given poor Kanga's blow out, do people generally carry a spare tyre with them?  Am debating one for IMCH this weekend but don't know.  Could strap one behind the seat post or something?

Well done all, really enjoying the race reports and watching you all on the live feed was SO inspiring for CH on Sunday. image

• Options

i should've taken you up on that offer! while i was taking an age to swim down the canal, Mike was kissing and cuddling annathespanna. he claims it was an accident. not only that, apparently i should count my blessings - he informed several of us the next day 'at least he wasn't kissing dick'

great pic of you and well done on a fab race. i promise not to tell CRAB that you looked like you had way too much left at the end. i thoroughly enjoyed your company so hope you *do* come to france next year.

• Options
    You could tape one to the seatpost, or put one in a waterbottle as people do who use tubs. Ive never carried a spare tyre, and I dont know anyone who does who runs clinchers. Its fair to say Kanga, as normal, has managed to pull "unlikely in the extreme" out of the bag!
  • Options

too slow again - reply was to bassy!

Rach - only people using tubs would normally carry a spare. punctures that wreck your tyres are pretty rare. you can get a 'tyre boot' or improvise one. it'll cover a small hole in the tyre. you might also try not pumping your tyres to 200psi using a track pump with a broken pressure guage image

• Options
    fat buddhafat buddha ✭✭✭
    bassy - nice descending! my photo on the hairpins is pretty shite as I didn't have drops to use so I'm too upright....

• Options

Bassy have you photoshopped that pic ? You look like you're going quite fast there ?

Rach - I'd not bother with a spare tyre. Check that the tyres arent on their way out before you go and you shouldnt have any problems.  And I'd keep the PSI less than 100 or so.

• Options

See Melli, you will never know what you missed. I will take a couple of months off and ride my bike a bit, enjoy myself, then make a decision about next year I think. A long chat with F will clarify things as well I imagine. I may go simply to irritate you just before the off! Next time I WILL claim my cuddle however.image

I may even buy a couple of photos FB for the "IM wall" in the study. For once I actually got a couple of shots I like. Mrs Funkin usually takes great shots too, so I wait to see what she comes up with

• Options

Guys, thanks for that!  Much appreciated!  Sorry for the hijack but just needed a bit of reassurance from you experienced ones out there!

• Options
    Cheeky monkey Cougs. I am quite good at downhills, its the rest that lets me down, thats somewhere between 30-35mph round the little switchback section in the woods.
  • Options
    Rach, if you are really worried cut a piece of flexible plastic from say an old washing up liquid bottle and stick that in the saddlebag, an inch by 3 inches or something. You can stick that inside the tyre where it is split and it should hold the pressure of the tube. But like the others have said it is incredibly unlikely you will split a tyre like Kanga managed.
  • Options

I can confirm that 'School Bar' foil wrappers aren't up to the quick fix job, so will hack up a Fairy bottle before the next long ride ...

• Options
    Don't US dollar bills work ? as they are plastisised...........
  • Options

Once again, many thanks and appreciate the washing-up bottle trick.  Saves a bit of weight! image

Hi Kanga, sorry to hear about your blow-out - from what's written above it seems pretty spectacular!

• Options

Toothpaste tubes work too apparently.

Kanga - what tyre was it and how did you do it ?

• Options
    fat buddhafat buddha ✭✭✭
    or a piece of old inner tube does the job pretty well

so - loads of options for a tyre boot around really....
  • Options
    F.oggyF.oggy ✭✭✭
    Thanks to my fellow competitors and supporters for a great time in Roth!
  • Options
    A new tyre works the best....
  • Options
    Iron Rach wrote (see)
     Hi Kanga, sorry to hear about your blow-out - from what's written above it seems pretty spectacular!

Thankfully it was on a straight and flatish bit of road doing about 25mph rather than going round a corner or on a descent. Just a massive 'bang', and cue comedy fishtailing along on the rim, trying to stop without ending up in the ditch at the side of the road. Could have been a lot worse ....image

cougie wrote (see)
     Kanga - what tyre was it and how did you do it ?

It's a Maxxis Xenith that came with the bike, nothing flash, but not a problem until now. The tube had a 1cm split running diagonally across the outer surface, roughly in line with the pattern in the tube. The tyre had a 2cm split along the circumference line, with some of the inner layer protruding out. Given they were both very clean splits, the big bang, no other marks on the tyre, it looked and sounded like a blow out. I've had sharp punctures that take a few seconds to deflate but this was very loud and very instant. Bunged the wrapper in there as a quick fix, but with relatively little co2 the split opened up and the wrapper/tube started popping out, so didn't fancy a bumpy ride and a bit of road rash. I was just cruising along, no potholes or stunt riding going on. Only thing I can put it down to is having used Pablo's dodgy track pump that read 100psi but left the tyre feeling like it was made of concrete, that it was too much air for a fat bastid on a hot day. I'd let air out of both tyres before the race, back to what felt like normal pressure, but with the benefit of hindsight should have grabbed another pump to make sure.
    IIRC you had a couple of blowouts in IMDE '06, were your tyres not made of marizan and tissue paper then ?

• Options
    M.ister WM.ister W ✭✭✭

I've had a bit of crisp packet patching a small hole in my front tyre for years.

That's really bad luck, Kanga, and something you really can't prepare for.  No-one carries a spare tyre with them.

• Options

Nice picture Bassy! image

Soory to hear about the tyre Kanga image

Sounds like you all had a great time.... bit worried about the thigh licking stories mind you!!

• Options
    Ah - the thigh licking.....!

Photos are good - I like that I can see me finishing - and it's daylight too!!