Options

Madonna to run The Marathon Des Sables

2»

Comments

• Options
    Die on the Everest marathon?  Nah, not unless you're silly enough to pick a fight with a yak on a footbridge.  Starts just below base camp at less than 5,000 metres and works its way down (with a bit of up).  The thing that would put me off doing it would be spending 3 grand to get there (like I've got that sort of money lying around anyway!) only to get bad timing with the squits the day before the race.  (Speaking from experience of Nepalese mountain cuisine...) 
  • Options

Oh, there's an Everest marathon?image

I was talking about climbing Everest.image

• Options
    I'd love to climb Everest, Not into sand
  • Options

There is something about these events that emphasise how tough they are that put me off - what's wrong with concentrating on getting your 10k pb down or trying to get on the podium in a bike race - plenty of challenges that are arguably tougher and don't cost several grand to enter but which perhaps don't have quite the same cachet to effort ratio.    

I suspect if I called my bike race HellRide instead of the Derby Mercury Road Race and made the competitors ride through a river I could charge a few hundred quid to enter and it'd fill up well in advance but the standard of competitor wouldn't be up to much.     

• Options

Sounds good Popsider! Where do we sign up?image

(Can I use stabilisers?)

• Options
    I'm more of the "hello clouds hello sky" type of runner
  • Options
    That one where you have wine at every stop sounds good! Marathon du medoc or something?
  • Options
    JWrunJWrun ✭✭✭

I think its about what you want out of what your doing though popsider, I don't necessarily want to get quicker at marathons, but i do want to push myself to see how far I can go and the goal is an iron man for now, obvioulsy you have to be quick and fit enough to come in in the times allowed but i don't want to win it, and i'm not fussed about a speedy 10K i'd rather plod along for 26.2.

That badwater looks hellish though - i think that is where i would draw the line........... (she says!!)

• Options
    JWrunJWrun ✭✭✭
  • Options
    I'd draw the line waaaaaaaay before that JW!
  • Options

I read about an ex SAS officer who left then signed up again to prove he could still do it. On one of their extreme march tests he decided to load his backpack with bricks instead of kit.

As the weather closed in and he began to struggle, other squaddies asked if he was ok.

"Yes", and struggled on.

Died of hypothermia.

Moral: sometimes being too macho will get you killed.

My understanding is they have a lot of IV drips set up as standard at MDS, so its not exactly a RFL. But even so, for some, me included, there sometimes seems to be an element of one-upmanship in this type of event, and some events seem to confer automatic bragging rights. 

- Johnny Blaze - next challenge:transatlantic swim underwater with an anvil down my budgie smugglers

• Options
    Devoted2Distance wrote (see)
    I think it's safe to say that we're in the minority. People I tell about my Marathons and LSRs generally aren't interested and either think you're a psycho or just out for bragging rights!

maybe thats says more about you than the public in generalimage

and I know I won't make podium finishes however hard I train so i'm busy trying to find out what I can cope with by going longer............I'm still working on breaking all my other PB's..............but one distance doesn't mean more to me than the others.....

• Options
    JB - sounds like a worthy challenge.  Can you give me a link to your justgiving page and I'll throw in a fiver.
  • Options
    Can you give me a link  to your justgiving page and I'll throw in a couple of sledgehammers image
  • Options
    popsider wrote (see)

cachet to effort ratio.    

Excellent concept Popsider - and could be the final word on the boring FLM discussion too.

Life is a narrative and the only limit is your imagination. image

• Options
    Johnny Blaze wrote (see)

My understanding is they have a lot of IV drips set up as standard at MDS, so its not exactly a RFL. But even so, for some, me included, there sometimes seems to be an element of one-upmanship in this type of event, and some events seem to confer automatic bragging rights. 

do you ever actually hear anyone bragging about this kind of thing though? if i did i would laugh at them, i have no idea why anyone would brag about doing the mds or badwater or getting a sub 2.15 marathon, its only a bit of running around innit?
  • Options

Thing is, I went in the sauna the other night.

One other bloke in there.

Me: Good workout?

OB: Yep i'm climbing Mt Kilimanjaro in October

If that isn't early use of the swanking card I don't know what is.

(I told him I'd done a triple IronMan in the Himalayas just to outdo him).

• Options
    did you all look at each others winkies too?
  • Options
    Johnny Blaze wrote (see)

Thing is, I went in the sauna the other night.

One other bloke in there.

Me: Good workout?

OB: Yep i'm climbing Mt Kilimanjaro in October

If that isn't early use of the swanking card I don't know what is.

(I told him I'd done a triple IronMan in the Himalayas just to outdo him).

Do you mean in the literal sense, or do you mean you fucked some guy while on a trekking holiday?

• Options
    Popsider - how about the Derby Sportif?   Guaranteed to sell out and you can charge what you likeimage.
  • Options
    Nick - yes. And very nice it was too.