Options

Tri Virgins 2010

Comments

• Options

DG - yes an oly is fun. 

A half is more like a morning stroll, (they all start ridiculously early), however they are fun. 

Try to aim for an early one, (may / june) then you will have some idea what the story is for entering a full IM next year.  The european ones open 364 days ahead and often fill up rapidly so you don't have a lot of time to ponder......

The pirate crew sort of nominate the main events, (in a chaotic way) - this year its IM germany and Challenge Roth.  

Bala 1/2 IM and ineos Swashbuckler 1/2 IM are the warmup events for the above

Traditionally the vitruvian 1/2 M is the end of season closing race......

Any name is good, you are never too old.

Just start chatting on the forum, sign up for some races, and have fun.....

• Options

Yeah just get on with it.

I went from non swimmer on Jun 13th to IM start line Sept 1st (in the same year) any fool can do it 

I did it to celebrate being 50

JFDI

• Options

Bloody Hell - a morning - that's just ridiculous.

I can handle a swim, a bike and a long run, but I draw the line at getting up early. Are there any night events?

Dave  -Good Effort on the avoidance of drowning

I can handle the swim, will just be pushing the time limit. The bike probably would be my strongest, and the run - well if I got there in 10 hours I could walk it home and finish in time - the benfit of a lot of walking events.

OC

I have got a VLM (formerly FLM) place in April to work towards, going to do the FIRST three day program for this along with some bike trips to work 16.5m each way on a day or two a week depending on work schedule. Will fit some swimming in but focus will be VLM.

Should leave me in fine fettle for an Oly in May/June moving up from the spirnt (1:25 at Malmesbury) this year. Then a Half-IM towards the end of the year.

• Options
    GAZ!!!! I just saw that in black and white, you're doing an IM in 2011 image Mwah ha ha ha ha ha, no backing out now!

Eh, hello folks. I'm a virgin so must be treated with care image I completed the FLM this year (1st mara) but injury buggered up my training so only ran 18 miles had to walk the rest when my knee packed in! Done a couple of half maras, some 10ks and 5Ks. I wanted a challenge so I signed up for Cheshire sprint tri in May 2010, then signed up for Bala middle distance in June, against my better judgement! I'm looking forward to it, but also terrified, and wondering how i'll manage. Getting swimming lessons - had 1 so far, and tonight I inhaled half the pool when I went for a practice, so i'm glad I block-booked 10 lessons. Oh I did the London duathlon this year, and that was about the 3rd time i'd been on a bike in years. So my biking needs work. My half mara PB is 2:38, so my running needs work. All in all I'd say that swimming, biking and running are my main weaknesses, so i'm sure i'll be fine image
  • Options

hello everyone

i've done several marathons, a couple of halves plus loads of 10k's. i helped out at imuk this year and thought i want a go at this.

i've got a place in next years vlm but also planning on doing a few sprints and oly's with the hope of stepping up to IM in 2011.

my swimming is poor and i don't own a bike yet so it's going to be quite a journey image

• Options
    FK - thats the normal starting point, before the kit monster comes and sits on your shoulder, whispering 'buy me', 'buy me' everytime you walk into a bike / run / tri / sports shop
  • Options

Dave, check out the Swashbuckler HIM,  at http://www.racenewforest.co.uk/10_swashbuckler_230510.htm

should be a good fun Southern HIM. Plenty of first timers like myself doing it.

Only snag is it's 23 May which may not sit well with VLM?

I work in Gatwick so its about 16 miles also to work, and you've got me thinking about the odd comute, but its the prospect of going back up the North Downs on the way home that puts me off somewhat, along with not liking the idea of cycling in the dark during rush hour.  I've done it a couple of times in the summer but winter....

• Options

Allaird,

Just back from a bike home in the dark. Horley to Bookham so yes I have to summit the downs. I go via Leigh and there is quite a big summit on the back road out of Horley as well.

It can be done - view the North Downs as training assist..

Dave

• Options

Can't do Pebble Hill yet, run out of talent just at the top, so have to do Box Hill instead! I'll get there one day!

Likewise go through Leigh & up to Betchworth. Great in the summer...

What lights do you use?

• Options
    Is this an AA thread? Hi my name is xxx and I want to do an ironman. The starting point in training and skills terms seems to fairly arbritary. With mental committment and a bit of a following wind you've got a good chance of success. Sucessful however is not a guarantee. Lots can go wrong.
  • Options

*Waves hello*

I've just signed up to do the Wee Triathon up at Fort William in March.  Can swim, bit slow but FC.   Used to be able to cycle, have never been able to run.  However, been attending Jog Scotland sessions and can jog a bit now.

This is week 1....so far, I've proved my allergy to exercise is still strong!  

• Options

Hi,

Been around the forums a bit. 

Sprinter and swimmer in school, rugby player in university and after, left active rugby playing and started running long distance several years ago.

Ran lots of 5k's, 10k's, 3 halfs and this year I ran my first marathon.

Done 2 sprints this summer and I'm signed up for Bala and Roth next year.

Running isn't much of a problem, cycling a matter of building up the distances ...my furthest ride so far has been 68 or so miles and got to work on my swimming.

The goal for next year is to finish both Bala and Roth and not be dead last! 

• Options

Training ? What's that about then ? Next you'll be buying books and getting coaching. Pies and beers are the secret to Pirate success image

• Options

Books.....got that

Pies..... found them here... good stuff ...is gravy piratey enough?

Beer...gotta work on that image

• Options

The fourth discipline image

• Options
    interesting to see two of you are in my old stomping grounds, I was brought up in Horley and my brother still lives there,  he worked at Gatwick for years, left last year.
  • Options
    what's with all this waiting until 2011? That's not very piratey! Come and join the party in Roth next July - there'll be 330 places up for sale on the Challenge Roth website on the 6th of December starting at 10am. That's 9am in GB.
  • Options

I'm guilty as charged Wolf.

I know it's not Piratey (cue another thread) but having read the 'Where were you one year before your first IM' thread, I'm convinced my base level of fitness is much lower. As someone who is always at the back of the pack anyhow, (enjoying the view), I'd like to give myself a bit more of a chance of finishing it considering all the cost involved. Oh and apart from that, I have a dodgy left arm so need to build things up a bit slower.

• Options

Ironwolf,

That's more like it.

My marathon plan (proper on road running rather than Ultra's on a run/walk) was do a half, then another half, then a marathon. This fell apart when I found I could buy my into NY and went from first half in september to full marathon two months later last November.

My plan as devised earlier this year was running and get ready for first triathlon next year. However I got ahead of myself and did a sprint in August, well just because. So ahead of own plan already. So current amended plan of a Half IM for next year, subject to change.

Not being cocky but the bike on a sprint is shorter than my ride to work. The bike on an Oly is only 10 miles further. The bike on a Half IM is only 15 miles further than the return ride to work. So I fear not the bike. The run I can do, I do running and if I run/walk then I have done a double marathon. Although after the bike and the swim it is tougher to maintain a good pace. I can walk at 4.2mph so them indest is there to get the job done. I fear the swim.

Now the beer - As 16 stone ex rugby player I can handle the fourth discipline. I though this was transition, do I get to drink beer in transition?

So given my aims for VLM in April I can't be ready to do an IM in July. Do they have a Half? OR an alternative suggetion for a full IM in September would be feasible to aim for.

Dave

• Options

Hi!  Have been toying with the idea of doing a tri for some time now.. started running October last year have done 2 marathons this year Paris and London have two more booked Paris and Amsterdam for 2010.  Have done quite a few half marathons and 10ks this year.  Brentwood Ultra last month.

Have been bought a bike which is perhaps not the most sensible type its a hybrid but is quite light so think it might be good enough to start on and get my confidence as I havent ridden a bike for some years... i.e. since I was about 13.  Do alot of spin at the gym not sure whether that will help??? Am quite a strong swimmer but think I need to have some training for my rather rusty crawl.  So can do the running but the other bits need some practice.

Are there any tris down south/London way that are recommended for virgins like me??  Would be nice to have something booked for say June/August so I can see how I get on. 

Other prob is the the wet suit another expensive pressie for Xmas or is there somewhere you can get them at a reasonable price?? 

• Options
    NL - many places do tri hire packages which includes a wetsuit as do these guys......maybe worth hiring for your 1st season rather than buying
  • Options

NGU G - The is a nice little event in Roth, (SE of london) that would appeal to a Marathoner.........  I think thats in mid july so sounds perfect......

Apart from the there is the ineos swashbucker 1/2 IM that 10+ pirates are doing.

London Tri is newbie friendly, (as half the field are newbiews)

apart from that have a look at the British Triathlon web site......events list

• Options
    Nevergiveup Girl wrote (see)
    Are there any tris down south/London way that are recommended for virgins like me??  Would be nice to have something booked for say June/August so I can see how I get on. 

Welcome to the dark side!!

The first ones I did, and they are very beginner friendly were the Thames Turbo Sprints...

http://www.thamesturbo.com/archives/48

there should be a great little video on the website that sums up the event, worth a watch.

Do it, its a lot of fun.

• Options
    LOL at "SE of London", OC!  Well, it is, actually, just rather a long way SE.
  • Options
    good thinking OC, NGU G come and do Swashbuckler!!!
  • Options
    DG - no, there's the full and a relay, then there's some kids races the day before.
  • Options

Sevenoaks club run a few tri's..

LittleN - don't worry, plenty of folk do it over 2 years if starting with a less than average base.   Self included - and I'm proud to be a Pirate.

• Options
    joddlyjoddly ✭✭✭

Another Tri virgin to add to the list.

I've been a bit free and easy recently, posting on many and various tri threads with daft questions, so I'm likely to get a tad confused image - this one looks like being a good place to settle, though, as the new experiences are still coming thick and fast.

Done some marathons and shorter distances, and have concluded I'm better at the longer ones. I decided to go for an IM distance race after mutiple failed attempts to run a 3:30 marathon - then found that the tri training seems to have edged me even closer to target, so it's still v much unfinished business.....

Had 3 swimming lessons now, which feels promising tho' no tangible results yet. Biking is tailing off for the winter before it even got going!

So, next year's plan is; April - sub 3:30 VLM, May - Swashbuckler middle-distance IM (first Tri - target = to finish) , August - Outlaw IM-distance (aim to finish, but may set target time after May).

Seems like that sort of plan might suit you too, DG?

• Options

So this is a AA meeting right?

Hi my name is cake and I've been lurking around pirates long enough to be infected by there silliness. Entered Outlaw by accident. Can't crawl for swimming, rubbish on a racing bike as all the cool kids use mountain bikes and look like a muppet in Lycra. LittleN don't panic a lot of us are in the same boat with a pirate flag. As long as we play with the crayons nicely do the training we can then it's all going to work nicely. Oh and get the beers in it's a must under cross training and nutrition. image

• Options
    PSC/ Cake - Thanks, I'm fine. I just liked the idea of going from 0 - IM in 9 months. Not meant to be for me but I will be doing Vit in 2010.