Options

Tri Virgins 2010

There have been quite a few different training conversations on various trheads lately.

Thought it would be better/easier if as all the tri virgins gather in one place so the rest of us can point and laughimage

This is something I wrote at the end of the Do I Dare threa, which was the 2009 Tri Virgins thread.

Gertie wrote (see)

I think that a specific training thread is quite useful especially for the virgins.  For a start it's a good way to 'meet' the other pirates before you do finally meet them in the real world. You can also share your training highs and lows and it's sometimes nice to know that you're not the only person who is having a bad time.

It's also a good that the more experienced Pirates can pop in and give a hug or kick  up the arse when needed ((FB))

One thing I will say though, at some stage people will start logging their training (probably at the New Year).  Do not constantly compare your hours, distances etc with everyone else.  Remember it's your training and it's your life that it has to fit around.  It's quite easy to feel intimdated by the hours others are putting in but you do not know their situation.  They may be starting with  better base fitness, no kids, easy work schedule, that sort of thing. 

So, virgins, introduce yourselve and tell us your aims for 2010

Comments

• Options

hello all,

I have done 2 marathons and 6 half marathons over the past 20 months, but I am getting a bit bored of just running.  I bought a road bike about 4 months ago and have done a couple of 100mile sportive rides. 

Next year I have the London Tri and a mini-tour of France, consisting of 600 miles over 7 days, planned.

Any tipes would be greatly appreciated.

ps. I swim like a rock.

• Options

image Virgin? I am no such thing. I am a happily married woman....

Sorry, what's that? Oh, you mean tri-virgin....oooops imageimage

Anyway...

I have done one marathon, a couple of halfs and several 10Ks. Got three more halfs lined up before Christmas (starting with Brum this weekend). My bike is a £99 Halfraud's special which, until recently, had knobbly tyres. I am a cr@p cyclist. I can swim OK (used to do a lot as a kid/teenager) but just need to get back in the pool and do some serious sessions.

I am currently down to do the run leg of a relay at Bala, but may reconsider. I would certainly like to do another sprint or at least in Oly next year.

• Options

i'm hoping to do my first sprint tri(s) in 2010.

busy getting to grips with the swimming part at the moment - sloooow progress.

oh did his first one this summer - he was the only one in hawiian swim shorts image

i marshalled and we were both hooked image

• Options

howzit,

Have only one triathlon to my name so far and that was a relay effort.

Have planned to do the Sevenoaks Sprint and Tonbridge Sprint in April, the Harwich Olympic in June and then the Vitruvian Half-Ironman and Hever Olympic in September. I am also doing a few sportives (Hell of Ashdown and London2Bournemouth included.) and a couple of half marathons. Its a bit full on, but being newly single has freed up a lot of extra time for me and I can still go to the pub!

Training plan is pretty much there on paper, but I am only able to swim 21m before floundering at the moment, (damn those 25m swimming pools!) so I can feel your pain Blinster

• Options

Right

I have done two Marathons a few half M and a few 10K runs. (about to do the Beachy Head Marathon)

Did the Wessex  100 mile ride a few weeks ago and am doing several more Sortives in the near future.

Running and cycling seem to be OK its the usaul swimming bit that I'm stuggling with.

oh and I have entered IMDE 2010  I intend doing Bala and might even do a short tri before the big stuff.image

Adrain W

Do you live inthe west Kent area then, I live in Hildenborough(Tonbridge)

• Options

HI TG2,

Im based in Gravesend (nice). My long bike ride takes me not a million miles away on a loop down to Crowborough/Four Elms, just got to love those hills. I was looking at doing the Wessex next year, but have got a diary clash. Tempted by the Hell of Ashdown??

• Options

Hi All

Im an aging, balding mountain biker / adventure racer turned pretend triathlete.  The longest I have run is a 1/2 marathon, (as [art of a 1/2 IM....)

Done a couple of 1/2 IMs this year, but am upping the ante next year as I have stupidly entered IMDE as well.

Also gonna do Stratford sprint Tri, and the swashbucker 1/2 IM as a warmup.  Bala would be nice, but its a long way away..... still tempted.

I am also tempted by the outlaw, (but that could be described as stupid......)

Bumped into some pirates this year, (esp at the Vit) and can safely say it feels great to be aboard.

• Options

Hey guys,

I'm a freeloading 3rd year student who has decided to do an IM next year as won't have another chance for a couple of years. To that end I've entered Roth and have also gotten a place in the VLM next year.

Reasonably good swimmer, started biking about 2 months ago (longest is 56miles so far!) and am trying to run whilst avoiding shin splints (furthest I've ever gone is 8 miles). Found this site whilst researching how to improve at running without getting broken. Have now set myself the ambitous target of sub-12 at Roth.

Have done bike section of London Sprint Tri on a borrowed bike and am doing Hellrunner on 1st Nov. That is the grand total of my race/tri experience. Am currently looking into maybe doing Swashbuckler as my warm up 1/2.

Also have a big fitness test that i'm currently planning on doing in January aswell that I need to pass.

• Options

I've done 3 sprints so far (Thames Turbo x2 and the London tri) and looking to do a half IM this year. I have a youngish family so training time is difficult but I am keen to do a half IM next year.

My main challenge is finding training time and motivation. I'm def a better trainer when there are others involved but am not really able to do club evenings at 7.30pm. 

Also need to pick my Half IM with care. The trouble with Bala etc is that I tend to do a family hol the last 2 weeks in August so it would really bugger up any training. So I need one in july / early August.

I am looking at the Cowman and Antwerp 70.3. Once I decide that, (any thoughts on either of those) then I can work out what other events to do. I quite want to do Windsor, (just the once to get the medal) but aside from that will work out what I need to do.

• Options

is there a list of triathlons somewhere?

• Options

*waves*  hello

Well, I don't really run, (prepares self to be taunted, posting this on a running site) I started visiting this site after doing my first & only tri (sprint) at nantwich in september.  I've never done any other competitions, eneter on a whim since Basil was! 

4 months ago I couldn't run half a mile, I was really pleased with my 5km time at nantwich, but the idea of running further terrifies me.

I'm really into mountain biking, hurtling down rocky paths is fine - but put me on a busy road and i turn to a jibbering wreck - I don't like cars!  I can swim front crawl for 500m but can't do much further (at the mo).

I'm hoping to do an Oly this year as well as another sprint or two and have agree to the bike leg of Bala...  eeek!

• Options

Nice one Gertie, I was thinking that some kind of thread was needed.

runner duck wrote (see)

is there a list of triathlons somewhere?

pirate event list - can be accessed from the main page

if you find a list of all triathlons let me know and I'll put it on the calendar page

and here's the newbie section, i'll put a link to this thread although hopefully this thread will always be at the top of the forum list

http://www.pirateshipoffools.co.uk/?cat=7

been keeping a list of the many newbie threads that have been popping up so that the info is there for everyone in future.

• Options

Hi all,

Have done one tri earlier this year.

Other than that I've done 3 marathons, numerous halfs, 10 milers and shorter.

Doing the Great South Run in a few weeks.

Next year I'm already down to do the Grizzly and Blenheim and Bala when entries open.

Swimming - is improving, just need to get faster.

Cycling is my weak spot and the one I'm going to have to really concentrate on.

• Options
    nice one, jd, thank you image
  • Options
    I started the tri-life a year ago but then running got in the way, so am a born-again virgin! image

I've got a deferred place at the London Tri for August, plus Stratford in May and Blenheim in June. And I've just got into VLM - which I was convinced I wouldn't - so 2010 may be a bit busy. Not sure how to fit all the training in between work and looking after the kids, but will give it a damn good try!

Oh, and my cycling is rubbish. image
  • Options
    Aliaird wrote (see)

I am looking at the Cowman and Antwerp 70.3.

Aliaird
    I did the cowman last year.  Its a nice (smallish) event.  The swim is in a lake, (duh) - a couple of laps, bike on open roads (2 1/2 laps), run is 4 laps, mix of road and X-country.

There is camping on site (basic facilities) and, more importantly a couple of pubs in the local village for the pre race beer, (its a muscle relaxant.......)
  • Options

Hi, I'm Andrew.

Anyway, I am thinking of doing an IM next year and I was wondering if anyone had any recommendations for a good one.

I am entered in the Beacons Ultra (45 miles OMG!! ) And also the Grizzly 20 mile race in Devon next March. I plan to use these as goals for my run training but I am a bit stumped on how to approach the bike side of it, any suggestions?

My swimming is sort of Ok, I have lots of endurance but my speed needs work. I have done the distance in a pool but it took nearly 65 minutes image so any advice on improving that would be appreciated image

• Options
    Call me cynical but after seeing your posts on here I don't trust that image
  • Options
    2010 debut tri year for me after 2009 went arse up for a number of reasons. Plans for next year to include Stratford, supporting at Bala and doing Vit (bike funds providing), and will see what else comes up. 2010 will be a JFDI year, no matter what.
  • Options
    Hoofin wrote (see)
    Call me cynical but after seeing your posts on here I don't trust that image

How very dare you! image

• Options
    Smiffy! Norty step!
  • Options
    Edit- Double post for some reason.
  • Options
    Hoofin wrote (see)
    Smiffy I think you are a wonderful human being anf I would have your babies if I was a girl image
    Edited because you were too embarrassed!!!
  • Options

Well I wasn't going to say it in public.............image

Shame you're having to resort to underhand tactics image

• Options

Hi.

I've been an on & off runner for about 10 years, and have done several halves a few Grizzlys and a marathon during that time. Having not done much for about 2 years, and putting about 2 stone on, I decided in the summer I really had to do something. My knees are a bit dodgy, o decided the only way I could exercise most days was to mix it up with some biking & swimming.

I've been training about 5 or 6 days a week for a couple of months now, and feel hugely better already (and have dropped half a stone). Swimming has improved drammatically over the last few years as I've taken advantage of cheap sessions whilst my kids have lessons. Recently been working on OW swimming in the sea, and the last month I've made a pretty big breakthrough & can now swim 800m comfortably. Just bought a proper tri wetsuit which I'll get for my birthday in a couple of weeks, so that should make a difference. Biking I have no cash, so am riding my 20 year old racer with toe clips & trainers. Was woeful when I started - averaging about 11 mph, but am slowly improving, and am up to just over 14 now (though it is fairly hilly round here).

I did actually have a tri scheduled for a couple of weeks ago, but they cancelled it with 4 days notice. As it's pretty much the end of the season I think I'll have to target some running races over the winter & hit the tris next year. I'm thinking at the moment definitely Dorchester Sprint Tri in late spring, probably Weymouth Oly distance in the summer & then re-evaluate.

Great idea for a thread!

• Options

Should I put my hand up for pirate inclusion?

Been doing sport of one kind or another for a long time. Been running for a couple of years and completed New York as my first 'Official' marathon last year. Despite having done at least half a dozen Ultras (all 30 mile except one 50) before that. This year has seen a couple of HMs, two 30mile and a 54mile and some 10km.

I also did my first Tri at Malmesbury this year after the Reading collapse.

So given my proponsity for stupidity an IM is almost a dead cert. Was planning one for 2012 as I will be 40 but only just realised how far away that is. So will probably do Olympic and a Half IM next year. Am I right in thinking an Olympic is like a short afternoon out and a half is a bit longer so I might miss my Tea?

So should I stick my hand up now or later? Will I need a sillier name?

Dave

• Options

Well hello there, I'm 53 and have been running for quite some time (leisurely to keep fit only)

Did my 1st FLM in 2008, have done a number of 1/2's and 10k's etc. Decided september to do something different for 2010 so registered for the London Oly Tri.

Then decided that I need to experience a Tri 1st, so joined in with every other virgin by signing up to the Cheshire Sprint May 2010.

Then received VLM ballot entry confirmation for April 2010

Now contemplating doing Bala middle distance (but hanging fire just for now before committing).

If all goes well, will really look forward to doing full IronMan distance in 2011

Gaz