Options

pirate cookbook

All you budding pirate master chefs out there how about giving the culinary challenged amongst us your fave healthy recipes as I am getting bored with pasta and dolmio image and find sticking to a healthy diet one of the toughest things about Ironman training I enjoy cooking just have runout of ideasimage

Its no good me asking Mrs RBM as she hates cooking and her signature dish is plain pasta and baked fish fingersimage  HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comments

• Options
    Nice wild brown rice and a tin of mackeral   image
  • Options

10 pints of stella followed by as many whisky chasers as you can manage before falling over image

• Options

Porridge with banana, egg white powder, blueberries, wheatgerm and linseed (favourite post exercise breakfast and has good carb/protein ratio image

recipezaar.com is good for recipes but be prepared to add some extra spice/ flavour. Some have been a bit bland. 

• Options
    Bouncing Barlist wrote (see

10 pints of stella followed by as many whisky chasers as you can manage before falling over image

Barley not sure I can train on that diet ! I did manage the Port Stanley Half mara completely p!ssed when I was in the RN many moons ago no PB and lots of chunder at the endimagemind.

like the banaa and blueberries idea with the porridgeimage makes a change from raisins

• Options
    RB ..... we walked from MP to Port Stanley,  I wasnt pissed then and I think it was the only day I wasnt !!
  • Options
    Mount Unpleasant what a dump although I did have my best run EVER at Berthas beach miles of empty sand, penguins and sealsimage
  • Options

1. Lightly salted chicken, sweetcorn and watercress soup. Made from the carcass (Hydration and electrolytes)

2. Button mushrooms fried in olive oyl and fresh ginger with black pepper and a dash of Tabasco. Add a half pint of liquid oregano mustard and reduce by boiling to a thick paste. Serve hot. (Increases metabolism rate and tastes fecking good)

3. Baked salmon with dill, lemon and proper butter over a quinoa base. Add peas and sweetcorn with a dash of garlic butter. Top with fresh watercress and spinach. If you are feeling tarty, add raw fresh pea shoots and journey to food heaven.(Massive carbo load and vitamin hit)

4. Shallow fried red apple (fry in water) with a sprinkling of full bodied sultanas and cinammon. And finest clottted cream. (Er, fruity stuff that gives you go...) Think I might have got away with that one...

5.Melds for company - coz she's a laydee.... 

• Options

chopped cooked chicken breast with fresh home made salsa wrapped in a wheat tortilla - carbs and protein.

couscous with chopped tomatoes and garlic, drizzled with lemon juice, topped with fresh chopped flat-leaf parsley.

easy home made paella - combine cooked rice, chicken, fish pieces, chopped red peppers and peas in a pan, heat gently in olive oil. season to taste.

try mashed potatoes with a difference - half ordinary potato, half sweet potato.

heat tortillas as directed on packet - spread with salsa and defrosted frozen spinach, roll up, place in greased dish. Spread thin layer of salsa on top, sprinkle with low-fat grated cheese and pop in a hot oven for 15 mins.

Or my personal carb/protein post training quick pick-me-up - wholemeal toast with peanut butter, and a cup of hot chocolate.

• Options

Ultra Iron Wolf

Easy cook Paella tonite!image

• Options
    Glad you like it, rbm. It's my OH's fave dish.
  • Options

I feel ashamed, you're all really healthy. Unfortunately my diet is mostly chips, chocolate and Corona - with the occasional pack of vegetables thrown in for some vitamins and porridge/large soya latte for my breakfast and protein. image

• Options
    image Call yourself a pirate? Eat the healthy stuff and then have the chocolate. image Just start swapping your chips for a jacket pot?
  • Options

waits for Ditchy to appear

• Options

Before I opened the thread I wondred how long it would be before beer & chocloate got mentioned. I'm being good now image after narrowly making the cut off point at my most recent event.

The paella does sound good might try that to take to work tomorrow.

• Options

1. Chop and fry in olive oil a red onion, 2 cloves of garlic and a couple of red chillies.

2. Add mixed herbs, cumin, coriander, a bit of paprika and some cayenne pepper, mix in for a minute or so before adding mince. Mix up well and let mince cook.

3. Chuck in a tin of chopped toms and kidney or pinto beans and a bit of tomato puree.

4. Let simmer for a bit

5. Serve with brown riceand salad

6. Slightly less healthy (better) version: Serve with cheese, sour cream, tortilla chips and white rice

• Options
    JB - by coincidence that's almost word for word except for the chillies what I've just cooked for tonight's dinner!
  • Options

Ingredients:
    salmon steak(s), deskinned and chopped into cubes (approx 2.5cm/1 inch)
    smoked salmon (a cheap bag of offcuts works fine)
    onion
    white wine
    wholegrain mustard
    dill
    cream (double if feeling indulgent)
    pasta (I usually use tagliatelle)

1.  chop onions, fry gently until soft
    2. whack in the white wine (about 2 glasses full) and the mustard (couple of desertspoons), simmer to reduce volume by about a half
    3. Put pasta on to cook
    4. add cream bring to gentle simmer
    5. add salmon, smoked salmon and dill, simmer gently for 2-3 minutes until fish is cooked
    6. Add sauce to pasta and consume
  • Options

UltraIW

The paella was a great success imagethe kids really lappedit up and i did a veggie version for MrsRB some left for worktime lunch tomorrow as well lurverly

FF That salmon dish will be on the menu love salmon

• Options

Happy to be of service! Cooking's one of my hobbies.

I do a mean veggie lasagne too, using aubergine and zucchini instead of meat

• Options

Happy to be of service! Cooking's one of my hobbies.

I do a mean veggie lasagne too, using aubergine and zucchini instead of meat

could you post the recipe please I cook a lot of veggie as MRS RBM has gall bladder probs and can eat no meat or saturated fats
  • Options

One large aubergine, 2 medium zucchini, 1 large can tomatoes, large carton of low fat joghurt, low fat grated cheese.

dice the aubergine and zucchini, cook gently until slightly soft and add tomatoes. Lightly grease a cooking tin. Start with a layer of the veg and sauce, then lasagne slices, cover with veg sauce and some joghurt, keep going until all the sauce is used up, finishing with sauce and joghurt. Top with low-fat grated cheese. Bake in  a hot oven for about 30-40 mins depending on your oven.

• Options

an enormous chilli and rice - cook for 10, reheat / freeze as required, and helps give additional propulsion on the bike.

squidge of olive oil
    2-3 onions - gently fry in pan till golden
    optional -  add garlic,
    add 1kg mince - turn up heat and brown
    2 chillie mixes or use nice chilli from the cool chilli company - these guys are great - add as much as you like -
    2 - 3 tins tomatoes, throw in fresh ones as well if they are going off...
    some beef stock to make it as wet as needed - 200 - 400ml

cook  (longer the better)

add 4 tins of kidney beans / pinto beans, (i through in mung beans as well last time)
    I also threw in some dodgy mushrooms etc etc

when almost ready add a tablepoon of red wine / cider vinegar, and a tablespoon of brown sugar

Eat with lots of basmatti rice, (cooked the delia way but add a stock cube to the water).

• Options

WTF?

You nip into the forum and discover its been taken over by "The Readers Digest (RIP) Recipe Club"

I dont even know what a Zucchini is. Dinners come out of tins, cold baked beans to start, straight out of tin so no washing up, lick spoon, open rice pudding, eat, lick spoon put back in drawer. Job done, no washing up and yumtastic to boot

• Options

cold baked beans - yuk!

zucchini are also known as courgettes.

• Options
    bassy thanks for the recipe but it was cr@p although the preperation time was goodimage
  • Options

Lol, have to confess I do like cold baked beans straight from the tin image

Though a nice peppered steak would be preferable..... 

• Options
    Ultra Ironwolf wrote (see)

try mashed potatoes with a difference - half ordinary potato, half sweet potato.

Good stuff, though it goes a rather unappealing colour. Also good is that the sweet potato is soft already so no need to add butter, cream or milk etc. Either that, or I cooked them to death as usual.

Also on the potato theme, if I've got some potatoes going a bit bad, I'll mash them up with some spring onions. Really nice. Supplement with some salmon or tuna steak. Grilled if you want to be super healthy.

Or, potato, sweet potato soup. Fry an onion and some garlic, add potato, sweet potato, carrot, ginger, and whatever else you want to get rid of in the fridge. Add vegetable stock. Boil for about five days. Blend. Eat. OK I keep buying too many potatoes at the shop. But who can turn down 2.5Kg for a quid. Bargain.

• Options
    You can use sweet potato to make a spicy relish too. Parboil a couple, peel and slice. Layer in an oven dish with slices of peeled apple, sprinkle with cinnamon. Make up a sauce  using half a pint of orange juice, add sugar and  pour it over the yams and apple slices, bake in the oven about 30 mins. Good with baked ham or cold meats.