2»

Comments

• Options
    well just go home
    Noon is indispensible
  • Options
    Martin, this is a TRAP.

Slog through your current commitments, then reassess -

Haven't you got anywhere to stand where you can take a more objective view of what is going on?

Workaholism is a socially-sanctioned and covertly-rewarded disease -

If we are killing ourselves with drink or drugs, there are Government-funded agencies to help us stop it!

If we are killing ourselves at work, it is somehow a perverse badge of honour - BOLLOCKS!!

• Options
    Martin honey - I know exactly where you're at, I'm here in Germany too remember and I also have to deal with American customers on a daily basis. They don't understand 'time to go home', expect you to work all the hours God sends and to be always available. You have to stop, stand back, and reassess your life. Yes you're earning good money, so am I, but at what cost! You should be working to live not the other way round. Once I realised that since I'm good at what I do and my services are in demand, I can call the shots. The big boys respect you for that. I still struggle to fit everything into my day - but I decided to put my priorities in order and devote more time to house and home - you're a long time dead! You surely know the right buzz words to use, Americans love that kind of thing - stand up for yourself, tell the clients what you can do for them and what you will not be pushed into doing, and take some time to LIVE.
    Take a big hug from someone who's been there often.
  • Options
    Thanks IW

I finally finished work at 10:45 yesterday but that was in Munich and I then had to get back to Frankfurt so got into bed just after 02:30. Still, having a "day off" today been out on my mountain bike for a couple of hours in glorious sunshine - reestablished my belief in the joy of being outside.

Not helped at the moment that my knee injury is no better so finding it really hard to fit exercise in i.e. need to find some equipment when away from home - not easy.

But I'm just being miserable - I know what needs to be done, need to plan some late summer races to get me going again, haven't lost that much fitness.......yet!

I'll get back on the training thread.

The cash v life debate is always a tricky one - in some ways I always have in my mind that I know I could go and do something less stressful for less money but the other half of me thinks, pay off the mortgage early, nice things for wife and family. Some times the scales tip too much one way and I miss the really important things (playing football with my boy, relaxing with MrsH). Hopefully things will return to normal soon and then as Lynn says I'll sit back and give it some serious thought.

• Options
    That's the spirit, Martin. Too many of us have been missing out on important stuff in pursuit of the great God money. It will get better.
  • Options
    Martin - sorry to be cruel - but if life were to end tomorrow and you had just a couple of hours notice - what would you wish for...to have spent more time playing football with your little boy or to have spent more time at work? He's only little once - you're a family with a young child for just such a short time - and you don't want to regret missing out on it all when he's a teenager and doesn't want to know you - even though you'll probably have the time for him then !!

I have a lousy - ok - nil - relationship with my father for a million & 1 reasons..he was truly vicious ...but I can't help but think that if he'd worked less / had time to take even a remote interest in me - when I wanted it - he'd have loved me and wouldn't have hurt me and my sister so much and so would have been happier for the whole of his life.

Buying kids presents doesn't buy long lasting affection..... time and commitment and 'togetherness' is what really counts.

Now I am sure he regrets the situation we've ended up in - I'm very strong because of what I went through - but he's the one who really lost out, forever.

I don't know how much control you have over your work - but sounds to me like you're not charging anywhere near enough. Less work for more pay sounds what's required.

Here ends the lesson....Good Luck !

• Options
    SticklessStickless ✭✭✭
    I think work can change, even little by little. We've been through sticky times recently. But it does have to start with a pretty rock solid, "it's going to be a (little bit) different from here on in" rather than, "whew, got away with that one this time, lets hope it doesn't happen again!".