Options

Ironman Regensburg 7th August 2011 - entries open 5th July

Comments

• Options
    *locks front door and puts a chest of drawers in front, just to be sure*
  • Options
    Chrissie W. always rolls across the finish line! But she actually crosses it first then goes back and rolls over it.
  • Options
    Lee the Pea wrote (see)

Not sure that will help! From what I've heard Cake won't worry about coming round the back!! image

• Options

AliAird - that sentence could have been put somewhat better, I feel!

• Options
    Lee the Pea wrote (see)

*hides from Waff's beasting*

I do have a turbo actually - bought one from Rio image  I have to admit I forgot about it though, not used it since last winter.  Biking isn't the issue so much as having time lately.  I've been taking work home, and not getting back until late as it is, but it should calm down next week.  My time management at the moment well and truly sucks, which is the biggest problem overall.  I've got time this weekend and on my day off on Monday to get things sorted though, and to get a proper pre-IM training programme together, which is what i'm lacking.  Haphazardly saying i'll swim then run then do whatever from day to day hasn't worked, clearly.  The IM is so far away in one respect, I feel a bit goal-less, so if I sort out interim goals that might help more.  Feck knows.  Must try harder though, I know... image

Pea - at risk of offering nosey parkeresque unwanted advice.... I would recommend setting up the turbo in some convenient place (the middle of the kitchen is actually pretty stupid but hey - it works for me) and make a concerted effort to use it a minimum of three times per week for 30-45 minutes. At this stage you just need to get into the habit of exercising often - the duration doesn't matter. As soon as the habit is established you'll find it much easier to stick with it and gradually extend the sessions. Spin classes always sound like a great idea, but in practice time invested to get there and back might be more than you can manage on a regular basis.

A great short turbo session is 15-20 minutes warmup, then 5 x 1 minute hard effort, 1 minute recovery and a 5-10 minute warm down.

Hang in there and good luck. image

• Options

Thanks Waff image You're not nosey-parkeresque or giving unwanted advice at all.  Consistency is what i'm lacking, so just setting up the turbo now would not be a bad idea.  My general plan cycling wise over winter is going to be min 1 spin class (run by a triathlete and it is cycling specific), poss 1 x Watt Bike sesh (in same place, but i'm going to get cycle coaching, 1 sesh of which will be at the studio - this might be post winter though) then 2 x road bike rides, using the turbo when weather too hellish, but i'll do my long ride outside when I can.  If I can't be assed to get to the spin studio, then i'll do a turbo sesh instead. 

Time management, inefficient nutrition & lack of strength and conditioning haven't helped get back into things after Bala, which was aaaages ago, but i'm ready to make changes.  Once I get in the swing of things, i'll be fine. Thanks for the advice image

• Options
    Lee the Pea wrote (see)

The IM is so far away in one respect, I feel a bit goal-less, so if I sort out interim goals that might help more.  Feck knows.  Must try harder though, I know... image

IM Regensberg is 318 days away as of today......
    lets be honest.... its all prep for an Ironman on my 100th birthday
  • Options

image Pea train hard and you will race easy. image

With regarding to the turbo you live in shared house right? Would you be able to have it set up in front of the telly? that way when you are sat down watching newsnight it's stareing at you pleeding to be loved. image

AliAird wrote (see)
    Lee the Pea wrote (see)

Not sure that will help! From what I've heard Cake won't worry about coming round the back!! image

image Who's you been talking to. I'm a good cake. image

• Options

318 days image  When it hits the 200s, that will be scary.  Not long to go 'til then....image

I can set it up in my room in front of the pooter, and watch iPlayer, or shove on a DVD.  I think you can download turbo sessions too, so I might do that.

Cake, you're a bad Cake, and well you know it..... image

• Options
    image Not for ages Pea. I need to be more evil but it's to much effort. image
  • Options

Lee - it's great just with some upbeat music to help keep the effort going.

Ok, so how about one turbo session - minimum 30 mins by the end of the weekend? image

• Options
    image Some update dance or some ROCK work best. Don't put on something like slayer till you know you can cope. Oh and fun lovin crimimals are excellent for a turbo. image
  • Options
    I have some lovely turbo sets that the Admiral gave to me, you are welcome to them   image

I am doing Joe Beers winter maintence plan, it lasts for 8 weeks and I aim to do it twice and first one starts on Monday ....  enough time to find some excuses  image
  • Options

Oh meldy interesting if you have the details on a pc can you e-mail them to me?

• Options

Reading this has made me think I need to bring the turbo into the house as I can see me using it way more.......even though it is only in the garage!   It will fit nicely in the dining room. image  I'm sure no one will even notice it.  I love a spin class but as Waff said, they are not always easy or convenient to get to and if the turbo is right there, then more likely to get used.

• Options
    Cake, will do but it may be at work ....
  • Options
    image You read and look on the internet at w**k bad'un. image
  • Options
    perish the thought  image
  • Options
    M...eldy wrote (see)
    I have some lovely turbo sets that the Admiral gave to me, you are welcome to them   image

I am doing Joe Beers winter maintence plan, it lasts for 8 weeks and I aim to do it twice and first one starts on Monday ....  enough time to find some excuses  image

Could I get a copy of them as well please Welds? I'll PM you

• Options

HI folks,

Hope you are all welll...

I have been getting up to date on the hotel stuff... will write to all of you in a week with a confirmation of what you have booked, or what i think you have booked to make sure what i think and you think is the same thought image

Speak soon

ISB

• Options
    Gyraffe wrote (see)

Lee - it's great just with some upbeat music to help keep the effort going.

Ok, so how about one turbo session - minimum 30 mins by the end of the weekend? image

Can I substitute 1 x 1hr spin class tomorrow (booked), and my 55 mile mini-sportive on Sunday instead?  Actually I could do the turbo too I guess...image
  • Options

image HTFU! Do the turbo after the spin when you get home if you feel up to it. No idea what your fitness level is at the moment.

• Options

Lee - if you can't make one or other you have to turbo instead - but if you get to both then you're off the hook. image

• Options
    Cake - or she could set things up on Sunday ready for her 20 minute easy turbo on Monday. image
  • Options

Fear not, i'll definitely be spinning tonight, and the cycle on Sunday is a pre-paid ride for charity that i'm doing with girls from the cycling club.  Monday night is my regular, hard 1 hr spin class, so i'll set up the turbo on Monday for my session on Tuesday image

Tomorrow i'm going to go a weights sesh in the gym, then go for a swim, and on Monday i've got the day off (hurrah!) so i'll go for a swim before my podiatry appointment at lunchtime image  Foot feels better, so hopefully i'll be allowed to run soon too, i'll see what the pod says

• Options

Pea as you know my swimming is rubbish but you might find it very useful to swim every day if it’s practical, I don’t mean a hour every day but even 20 minutes helps for practice on technique and stuff. I work right next to ponds forge a proper sports swimming pool and does help.

Waff do you think if we all gang up on her to get her to set it up every day, as the normal place to place the bike, she might use it every day? image
  • Options

We need more pirate entrants, get press ganging everyone!

Entered
    Aitch!
    AliAird
    Arctic.Lady
    Artful Hen
    Barley
    Bedders
    Cake
    Calf
    Cona
    Cougie
    Dan
    Drumnadrochit
    Egoman
    Ergo
    Experimental Penguin
    GarrsMateNige
    gas-man
    GOM.
    Hope
    ISB
    JWRun
    Happychap
    Happychap's mate Jules (entered voluntarily - no strongarm tactics)
    Happychap's mate Phil (is so gullible he thinks he's doing a sprint)
    Lee the Pea
    LN
    Magna Carter
    Mandel
    Meface
    Meldy
    Milesawaygirl
    Mittybob
    Never To Late
    OrangeCannon
    Orca
    Pkim   (For now...can still change my mind)
    Pop Up Pundit
    PurpleTriLady
    Ratbag
    Rio
    Shuffle Bunny
    Steve Ho
    Suffolk Punch
    Toucs
    UIW
    Waff
    WildWill

• Options
    we're working steadily on Fatboy Steve...........
  • Options
    Time to step it up a pace then Wolfy?   image
  • Options
    No good melds - he's bailing.