Options

Ironman Regensburg 7th August 2011 - entries open 5th July

Comments

• Options
    Crumbs - havent been in for a while so got behind but Pugsley that is the most amazing report - best so far I reckon - I could feel your pain.....but also the pleasure image
  • Options

Excellent report - that means I overtook somebody on the bike leg !!

Now just looking ahead ...

Outlaw ?

IM Wales 2012 ?

IMUK 70.3  - go shorter and really give it a go - I like Vegas !!!!

• Options

Super Report Pugley. I didn't write a report. I wrote a novel. You won't just need a cup of coffee for this, you'll need a full banquet. Toilet movements are frequenctly mentioned, so not for the squeamish! YOu have been warned!

Introduction

The seeds for Regensburg were sown back at the after party of Ironman Switzerland in 2009. No amount of convincing and pirating could convince me to do Roth in 2010 and by the time I realised a relay team was an option, the places were all gone L However Waff said to me I should join her in 2011 on the pirate ship of fools. By far the highlight of my 2009 Ironman was the pirate massive. To be honest, it was the ONLY thing that made me WANT to go back. I enjoyed the race in Switzerland but I didn’t enjoy the journey which was paved with illness, training in crap weather, and generally running myself into the ground by training hard, not smart. I had met my goal in Switzerland which was to come in under 14H30 by 12 minutes despite a pretty terrible run of 5H45M but the experience of finishing an IM had not been the ecstatic joyous occasion I’d been expecting and I left Switzerland feeling that I had unfinished business with the Ironman.

So when the PSOF set sail for Regensburg, I was on board. I’d changed a few things since 2009, I lost about a stone (which I’ve busily trying to put back on since August 7th J ). I had returned to training too soon after IMCH and as a result, after a fantastic ½ IM race in Barcelona in May 2010, I took most of the rest of the season off as I was mentally burnt out.  So after most of a season off, I started training for my second Ironman with a fire and interest in training which I’d lost after Switzerland. I worked from Don Fink’s “Be Iron Fit”. I used the competitive program and I started to really enjoy training again. I completely ignored the swim section as I swam with the Shannon Masters three times a week I felt that was enough on the swimming side. For the bike, I did a bit of mountain biking during the winter which was great fun and when I needed to focus on the road bike and the weather was miserable, I went on the turbo. Derrick (my hubby) had given me an iMagic from Tacx for my birthday and it went a long way to remove the monotony of turbo training. I was a bit remiss in doing the Zone 4 sections of a number of both the run and the bike sections but time wise, I got about 80-90% of Fink’s competitive program completed.

• Options
    . I tried to schedule my training around early mornings and lunchtime which meant I was a lot more likely to do the session because for me I found that a session left to the evening was considerably less likely to happen. I’d had some good results during the training with a number of PBs, I even got my first podium in June in a double Olympic race, OK, so there were only seven girls in the race but hey, I was chuffed. I was pretty calm coming into the race, it helped that I’d already signed up for IM Austria in 2012, because I felt if it really went pear shaped, I could always do it all over again next year. I genuinely didn’t have any serious time goals. I felt that my swim would probably be about the same as Switzerland (1H16). As I was on a TT bike rather than my road bike (as per IMCH) and I had an aero helmet and race wheels, I was hoping for a bike to be a bit faster. I felt I could go sub 7 hours but was hoping if the hills weren’t so bad (and the pirates who had done the recce assured me they weren’t) I was hoping for 6H30. To be honest, I was a bit embarrassed about my rather bling bike set up. It is a far better set up than I am a cyclist but when I’d wibbled about this to my husband the night before race, he said that it didn’t matter if it just took 5 minutes off my time, it’s 5 minutes off my time and to hell with anyone else. I took comfort in that J . Besides, I reckoned it had to put me in the running for “All the Gear and No Idea” award at the pirate award ceremony on Monday. The run was a concern. It had all gone so badly wrong in Switzerland and I wasn’t sure that I was in a better position this time round.  It’s pretty hard to simulate the third lap of the marathon after a 3.8km swim and 180km bike so I just didn’t know how I would feel but I was hoping I might be able to knock an hour off the run for 4H45.
  • Options
    RegensburgI flew out to Regensburg alone on the Thursday and got the airport shuttle direct to my hotel. This was great because with a stupidly heavy rucksack (seriously, how many IM races did I think I was doing????) and a bike box, I really wasn’t equipped to traipse around train stations etc. so my thanks to Dave Beary for that suggestion. When I arrived at the hotel I met Little Sister and Iron Swiss Mummy at reception where check in went smoothly (thanks Iron Swiss Bobby). Madlot and Toucs came back while I was in reception from what looked like a hot and sweaty run. I then met Lee and Happychap in the bar where I joined them for a shandy (did you know the German for shandy and cyclist are the same word? Thanks for Wolfie for that piece of info) and some food. Later that evening I met my room mate Trogs who was just brilliant. There aren’t enough words to express how fantastic this woman was all weekend, from advice, hugs, 3am starts, 5am lifts to race sites, standing in the pouring rain at T1 to cheer the pirates for endless hours on end and then going on to do it all over again at the weir and the finishing shoot on the run. Honestly, I had a far easier day at the office than she had! For me, Friday was the hard day. We went to the swim site but managed to get a “little” bit lost and arrived just as the other pirates were drying off and leaving L We went to the race briefing which seemed to outline lots of reasons to get penalised or disqualified. Not peeing in public seemed to be a big thing. Oh yes and by the way, our race site reflected the nutrition for last year, there is no Powerbar Isomax on the bike like we had said there would be and just Powerbar Isoactive for both the bike and the run. WHAT??? You couldn’t have told us this a bit earlier??? This freaked me out a bit. I have been known to have a sensitive stomach and rehearsing with the nutrition I planned to use was very important to me. I had brought some with me but it was intended for breakfast and loading the bike in advance, with replacements to be found on the run. So I ended up buying another tub of Isomax and carrying powder with me on the bike as they didn’t have any nice convenient individual packets available. I struggled a bit for the rest of the day though. I was restless and anxious and just wanted it to start. I was also nervous about my wheels. I had decided to race with my race wheels which I bought second hand and as they’re 650cc wheels, they don’t come up too often on the second hand market, so I bought them even though they’re tubulars. I don’t know how to change a tubular puncture and I was very nervous about this. Yes, I know it’s stupid and I should have done it several times etc but I hadn’t. So Barley gave me a crash course on how to change a tubular the day before the race.
  • Options

Ironically Saturday wasn’t as bad as I had tasks to do. I had to put my transition bags together and I knew it was critical to at least get the run bag right as I wouldn’t see it again until T2 in the race thanks to the split transition. Trogs dropped me out to the lake to drop off my bike and bags. It was really warm and I was getting concerned about hydration and time on my feet as it ended up a longer walk than we’d anticipated from dropping off the car to the transition area so Trogs told me to sit in the shade while she went and got the car and then handed me a bottle of water when she collected me. Like I said, this woman was my hero for the weekend. I went to bed pretty early but couldn’t sleep. I must have dropped off at some point as I had a dream about doing three laps on the bike and then meeting Henny on the run and wondering why I was over two hours behind her. Still, that was a pretty straight forward dream in comparison to Gladys’ dream about the giant honey monster in the lake. Freud could have had a lot of fun with that boy!

The alarm finally went at 3.30am and it was downstairs for breakfast.  Surprisingly, I was able to eat breakfast. I had brought porridge but I didn’t feel like it, so I had muesli, croissants, eggs, I’m not sure what else but I remember being surprised at how much I managed to eat. I did make a ham and cheese roll in case I felt like more food in transition.  Trogs offered me and Dinky Pinky a lift to transition and was leaving at 5am. Dave (Mr Waff) also came with us and Benner’s mate Gordon was supposed to come with us but with all of us in the car, he disappeared and Pinky and I were getting increasingly anxious about time ticking away and Trogs took pity on our agitated state and left without him. Despite hearing horror stories of tailbacks the previous year several kms long for the 102 exit the trip went smoothly and we were soon at the parking area although the bus heading to transition was full the guy on duty told us we were about 10 minutes from transition so Trogs and Dave went to park the car and Pinky and I headed to T1. I think triathlon is one of those places where you can have conversations that you simply can’t even consider in another sport. Pinky and I had really only met that morning but how the queues for the port-a-loos would relate to our thus far uncooperative bowel movements definitely made up a good part of the conversation. That and the fact I was stunned to hear she was going for a sub 13 hour time for her first IM. This was when I realised I was in the presence of a speedy pirate!

Into transition and I loaded my bento boxes with my 160mil bottles that I’d filled with power bar gels and filled my bottles with Isomax. The flies that had gathered in the straws overnight were pretty disgusting but blowing into the bottom seemed to dislodge them pretty well. I didn’t want to start the bike with a mouthful of “protein snacks” on the first sip. I pumped my tires and chatted to a Canadian lady who was set up next to me. She was doing Ironman Canada three weeks later. I was impressed! Throughout this, it was lashing rain but it seemed to be brightening up so I was hopeful that the rain would be confined to showers as suggested by the weather forecast.
  • Options

ORCA!!! image

*settrles down for a read* image

• Options
    Swim
    It was finally time for the rubber suit and I headed down to the beach where I met several other pirates. Then the panic set in and the tears welled up and I thought what the f@%K am I doing here but once more the pirate crew came to the rescue. There were hugs and banter and general reassurances that all would be well and at that moment in time I needed to hear the words. I didn’t care if they were just platitudes I still needed to hear them! Then there was five minutes to go, then it was one, and I couldn’t agree more with the report which said the start sounded like a cap gun and was singularly unimpressive. I started my stopwatch and the long day had started.  I had really struggled on where to put myself for the swim. I’m a reasonable swimmer, not fast enough for the front, not slow enough for the back, terrified of the punch up in the middle. I guess I started somewhere around the last third of the field and focused on staying relaxed. There was contact but it was pretty accidental and everytime I got confined I’d sight for some space and reassure myself if it wasn’t immediately available that there would be some space very soon and generally there was. Unfortunately, without intending to, I ended up too close to the first buoy and although it was quite a bit from the start, I think he said the first powerbar bottle was 1 km from the start, this is where I felt like I was in the spin cycle of a washing machine and everyone there was determined to drown me. I was genuinely scared here with arms pushing down on my legs to the point where I ended up vertical in the water and was afraid the next arm would be pushing down on my head.  Once I realised the issue was I’d gotten too close to the buoys I clawed and kicked my way out of there and took the rest of the swim nice and wide around the buoys and had a much calmer swim. I thought when I got out of the swim in IMCH that I’d dawdled a bit but I felt I was swimming better here and tried to find feet to follow and came out of the swim checking my watch to discover my stopwatch hadn’t started properly but the time was 8.05. Could that be right? That would mean my swim was about 1H05M, (official time of 1:05:12) excellent, already 10mins ahead of “dream” target. T1 went pretty smoothly. I was wearing a tri suit so none of the panic of Switzerland when I’d lost my cycling shorts, took my time to dry my feet and put on socks and shoes. Decided the weather was going to be warm despite the rain so didn’t opt for any extra clothing. Picked up my bike, trotted out, got a cheer from Dave and Gary and then out to the mount line where Trogs was cheering. Finally managed to mount and I was off for the long bike ride
  • Options
    Bike
    The road was nice and smooth, I felt good and concentrated on getting the heart rate down. I’m not sure exactly when the rain started, was I a few kms into the bike or had it already started coming out of the swim, I’m not sure, but I am sure of one thing. It didn’t stop! I came to the infamous hills and here I paid the price of good swim because the bling bikes just sailed past me. But I didn’t care, I let them go and tried to get my heart rate down to around 140 which is where I wanted to keep it for the day. Once the HR settled, I started drinking my Isomax and took a gel from the bottle every half an hour. For anyone else who decides to decant their gels into 160ml bottles, it works brilliantly except it can be difficult enough to get the fourth and last gel out of the bottle. Somewhere into the hills, that movement I had discussed with Pinky earlier that morning, decided that it was finally ready to make a move so to speak. It was around the aid station about the 50km mark that the aid station with a blessed empty port-a-loo became available. A swift dismount and straight into the loo where the necessary was completed and I felt much more comfortable getting back onto the bike. All was going fairly well except for the incessant rain. The supporters who were out there were great but understandably there were considerably less than there were on the Swiss course when the weather had been considerably more clement. Coming to the end of the first lap and passing the transition area, who do I see only Trogs in her rain soaked poncho cheering us all on. I couldn’t believe it. I would have headed for my nice warm and DRY car hours ago if I had been her but that was just another example of how amazing this woman was all weekend.   The second lap was more of the same. I was eating and drinking well, sticking to the plan. Orange Cannon had passed ages ago, flying along to his fastest pirate of the day award. Then Meface came along at the start of the second lap wanting to know what I was wearing sunglasses for. A fair question in the pouring rain! All was going well but I was pretty sick of the rain. I also had a few very scary moments on a couple of the descents. I was afraid to look at my speedo and was pretty impressed afterwards to see a top speed of 75.33km/hr. At least I now know I had good reason to be petrified out of my mind on some of the descents and I wasn’t a bit surprised to hear that 20 people had required medical attention after coming off on the bike.
  • Options
    My Dad had been browsing the start list and had come across a name he was convinced was an old neighbour of ours. I didn’t know the girl from Adam but I actually met her out on the bike course and it transpired that she was the girl in question. We chatted briefly and then had a short game of cat and mouse, she’d overtake me on the uphill, I’d overtake her on the down. Eventually she went ahead and that was the last I saw of her for the race. Somewhere around 140km or so my bladder made its demands known. To Pee on the bike or not to Pee on the bike, that is the question. Prior to the race I wouldn’t have considered it. However, now I was soaked to the skin, and feeling quite cold and very close to my dream time of 6H30 on the bike which a stop would certainly jeopardise. I also felt if I got off the bike, I wasn’t sure if I was going to be able to get on again. I remembered Seren Nos’ seven pees on the bike during the Enduroman so I waited until there was no one behind me that I could see and went for it. Absolutely nothing happened. It’s not as easy as you might think. It took several attempts but I finally succeeded. Thankfully that was a lonely part of the course for me and there weren’t too many around.  For anyone who has thought about it and worried about it running down your leg and chaffing (as I had), it doesn’t. It flows out behind like a little jet stream and chaffing was not an issue. Having said that, would I do it when it was dry and therefore considerably more obvious, I’m not so sure. But it was done and I didn’t have to get off the bike, something I was extremely grateful for. Passing the T1 area ( with about 15km to go into town) I couldn’t believe it. There was Trogs, still there in her Poncho cheering us on. Yip, I definitely had an easier day at the office than she did. Around the 170km mark all I could think was; please don’t let the course be long, please don’t get the course be long. The rain had stopped at this stage but the wind had picked up and I was feeling cold and miserable and I desperately wanted to get off my bike. It was with huge relief I finally rolled in to T2. Official bike time of 6:28:07. Woo Hoo, just ahead of “Dream” bike target!
  • Options
    T2 & Run
    I got off the bike at the mount line and found I was unable to straighten after spending most of the previous 6.5 hours in the aero position. You dropped your bike at the available space as directed by the marshal and headed for the changing tent picking up your bag on the way. I made a quick dash into the nearest port-a-loo. It was absolutely disgusting with a floor covered in both solids and liquids, but it’s pretty amazing the way you overcome any squeamishness you might have during an Ironman race and you just get on with it. In to T2 and I was very grateful I’d put fresh socks in my T2 back. However I hadn’t thought to put in a towel but thankfully I had rolled them down so they went over the wet feet pretty easily. I also took my bum bag with my run nutrition consisting of a 200ml and 100ml bottles of high 5 iso gel. I just started out of transition when I realised I was still wearing my bike gloves so I dashed in to put them in my bag but the oh so efficient German helper had already packed it away so I located it in the dozen other bags, dumped the gloves, and started running. It hurt. I felt lousy. I was cold, my legs felt like lead and if it all went pear shaped like Switzerland, I could be looking at almost 6 hours of slogging ahead of me. I had hummed and hawed for about 6 months on the best strategy for the run. Would I run/walk using a 9:1 ratio which I’d tried in training a few times or would I try running it all. I had lunch the previous day with Artful Hen and I was chatting to her about her marathon strategy in Roth as we have similar enough stand alone marathon PBs but she was an hour faster on the marathon in Roth than I was in Switzerland. She had employed a run/walk strategy and said the most important thing was to stay in the moment. Only focus on this 9 minutes or whatever it is you’re running and don’t think about the 26 miles to go. Coming out of T2, all my self belief and confidence disappeared but I clung onto those words and said right, you only have to run 9 minutes, then you can walk. Don’t think about the rest of it. Thank You Hen, you got me through the run with those words. It was around here I met Steve Ho, Steve I’m really sorry for being so grumpy, I was just in a world of hurt at that point and you were looking fresh as a daisy. Steve was faster than I so he headed off after a few minutes, he told me afterwards that he was afraid I was going to tell him to “P&*s Off”! During the 1 minute walk, I marched rather than walked, let the HR drop a little and then took on my nutrition. I continued this throughout. The first big block of pirates was near the town square and they were on both sides of the road in black and yellow, waving pom-poms. It was brilliant. Unfortunately this is where I saw Lee and realised that she hadn’t made the bike cut-off L Next time Lee for sure!
  • Options
    After two or three blocks of 10 minutes, my legs loosened out and I started to feel good on the run. I kept going with my 9:1 strategy. I wasn’t going to mess with a formula that was working for me at that point. Coming towards the bridge, there was a huge roar from Happy chap which put a grin on my face for the run up to the bridge. The pirate support was just amazing. Little Sister and Iron Swiss Mummy were there, the gang lead by Holly and JJ at the square, the gang led by Happy Chap at the Bridge which Trogs joined somewhere during my marathon, Rio’s bitch by the flag, everyone was just amazing. Then other groups who were there supporting other British and Irish athletes started cheering when they saw you were a pirate. Honestly, I felt a bit like a celebrity being part of the pirates during the race. At the start of my second lap I met Madlot who was starting his first. He asked where the Pirate massive was and I found I was quite disorientated and couldn’t really answer. I knew there was a group by the square, but I didn’t know was that 1km or 5km into the loop, similarly I knew there was a group by the bridge, but no idea where in the loop that was. I still can’t answer those questions. I also met Pinky at this time who was flying along, she passed me somewhere in her third lap I think when I was still on my 2nd. Serious Band Envy! She went on to do a fantastic time of something like 11H05Min. For anyone who doesn’t know what that means, on the IM course when the marathon is four laps, you’re usually given a band (one of those towelled hair toggles) and the colour and number of bands indicates what lap you’re on. So if you saw someone ahead of you with white, yellow, purple and green bands (on their last lap) , while you only have a white and yellow (on your second lap) it usually results in a lot of “Band Envy”. I got rather nervous when I hit the third lap. This was where I’d really fallen apart in Switzerland and I was afraid of the same thing here but I felt great, continued with my run/walk, continued taking on nutrition and chatted to various pirates I met along the way. When I emptied my 200ml bottle I filled it with Iso drink from the aid station and sipped on that during my breaks. Then I was finally on the last lap. I was starting to hurt a bit now but I figured, what do you expect, it’s the end of an Ironman. To quote one of the pirate mottos “It’s not a knitting club”. But I had the consolation of knowing that everything I was seeing on the lap, I was seeing for the last time. I finally reached that point where you veer right for finishers shoot and left for the next lap and it was my turn to veer right. Trogs was there in the stands cheering. I milked the run down the shoot, high fiving kids, relishing every sweet second. I felt every bit of that happiness and sense of achievement that had been missing in Switzerland for me. Now I felt like an Ironman. I was ecstatic with my run split of 4:28:56 which is pretty much the same as my first stand alone marathon. I crossed the finish line in 12:14:41, blowing any targets I hoped for, completely out of the water .
  • Options

Post Race
    I was given a foil blanket crossing the line which I was grateful for as I quickly felt cold. I got a hug from Happy Chap who was waiting for Toucs to come in. I wandered around the athletes area trying to figure out how to get out to meet Trogs who had my phone but there didn’t seem to be a way out. I had promised Der I’d ring when I was over the line so a massive thank you to Gladys who lent me his phone to call home. I was initially very disappointed with the food which consisted of pretzels and fruit, not realising that the athlete’s food was down in the briefing area about 500m away. I showered and changed and got myself a bowl of pasta soup which tasted great but was all I could manage before heading back to the stands to cheer in the pirates who had yet to come. I was hoarse the next day from all the screaming I did, cheering people coming in. It’s quite a humbling experience to watch the last few hours of an IM, you see grown men in tears as they finally run down that shoot. I didn’t stay around in Switzerland as I was spent after the race but this time I felt great and cheered and cheered for the next few hours, right up until our last pirate, Rio, came home with 5 minutes to spare before the 16 hour cut off. I have to say though the “laser show” in place of fireworks because of noise regulations was a bit pathetic!  Once it was all over we headed down to collect our bikes. It was in my transition bag that I discovered the ham and cheese roll I’d made that morning. Score! It was squashed to death but it tasted mighty fine at that stage of the day! Then it was back to the hotel – a 25 minute walk which felt about a 100 miles at that stage.

The next day I had planned to shop til I dropped at the IM shop but I found it very expensive and there wasn’t that much there that I wanted except for a very nice finishers jacket but they were all out of smalls and no matter how I tried to convince myself otherwise, the medium was huge on me. However Shuffle Bunny had found a stand with some great bargains with tops reduced from 120 Euro to 35 so I got to satisfy the shopper in me after all J From there it was down to the beer garden where the pirate party was to be held. This was fabulous, good food, good beer and unlike the day before, good weather! When it came to the awards, I had thought I was going to get “All the Gear and no idea” award but I was warned I had scuttled my chances of that with my great race the day before. Therefore, I accepted with pride the “Biggest Sandbagger” award. I’m going to have to get those yellow pirate high heels put on some kind of mount for next year, they are something special. I thought my two hour improvement might have been enough to get me the “Biggest Improver” award, so I was thrilled when Anna read out my name as I’ve always wanted to get my name on one of the pirates shields. However I was stunned to get fastest female pirate, I felt a bit guilty taking this one as Pinky was an honorary pirate for the day but apparently, honorary membership wasn’t enough to make you eligible for the award ceremony. I was actually quite emotional with it all. So all you have to do now is make sure there’s a big pirate gathering before Outlaw ( which clashes with IM Austria 2012 L ) so that I can return the shields for next year! Once again a massive thank you to all the pirates, you were amazing. I won’t get to join the PSOF in 2012 as I’ll be in Austria, but maybe 2013..... Probably as a supporter though if I don’t want to end up divorced J

• Options
    Whew, well you were warned it was long image
  • Options
    Top report- a lovely way to brighten a dull afternoon.
  • Options
    JjJj ✭✭✭
    Just enjoying the last few pages, but had to comment on Pugsley's: "...pondered why hairy arsed Europeans had decided to go for white sportswear on a rainy day."

Pugs, that's one of triathlon's great unanswered questions. Imagine a li'l group of piratey supporters in the town centre, shouting with gusto and endurance all day "Yaaaaaaay!!!" ... punctuated all too frequently with: "NNooooooooooo!!!" as one of those very hairyarsedEuropeans trips past...
  • Options
    I couldn't agree more. Seriously, have these people no friends who can't point out the error of their ways to them???
  • Options
    About blinking time Orca!!

But well worth it, great read! Must get Dinky Pinky on here to post her report....
  • Options

I know, I was a teeny bit late image

I'd love to read Pinky's report, where is it ?

Now that mine is finally submitted, I can slag other people image

• Options
    She hasn't done one... I'll drop her a message!!
  • Options
    Okay okay, I'm here!  I'm trotting off to cornwall for the weekend so will close my eyes, return to germany and put it down on paper! Promise. Give me until monday Pirates....
  • Options
    I only finished mine today and it was amazing how much had clouded over since I wrote the first half about 3 weeks ago. Trust me, you'll be glad you wrote it when you look back on it on a few years!
  • Options
    yayy - orca!

im lanza 2013....??

great report btw
  • Options
    Great report Orca. It took me right back to the run and got me a little choked up.
  • Options
    Lanza 2013......Hmmmm......Do you think I could pretend we were going on holiday, deliberately have a row with my husband the day before the race and storm out of there about 5am. Then come back all apologetic and ready to make up after midnight. Do you think he'd notice I squeezed an IM in????
  • Options
    I'm planning on Challenge Vichy in 2013.
  • Options

Mandel, My apologies, I got your name wrong throughout my report and it won't let me edit! Sorry! image

Would anyone object if I gathered all the race reports into a word document? Then anyone who was there can have it as a souvenir if they'd like it? Mandel, your name will be duly corrected in the Word Doc!

• Options
    Aw shucks Orca image
  • Options

Hey Orca,

No problems about the name confusion.  Awesome report and think the word document is a great idea!

• Options
    Orca -  Brilliant race report!!