Options

Comrades (South Africa) 56 miles

Comments

• Options

I need some help guys!

I have signed up for Comrades 2011 but it is hard to work out exactly what I am up against. 

There is a 810 metre ascent this year, and my training will have to reflect this.  It is hard to find any serious hills in Leicesteershire.  Any training tips?

Do I need to bring a camelback or can I rely on the water stations?

Also, I am team Ben at the moment, so if anybody wated to meet up and prevent me from getting lost before the race, that would be helpfull.  

• Options
    Welcome Ben - my focus on training is run up hills and to practice running when tired. You don't really need a camelback as there are over 50 water stations on the course.
  • Options
    Nuurgh - been booking things all evening - curse you! dodgy Air Malta website, curse you! (no doubt it will get sorted out in the end though image).
    Malta
    Grantham (Sat)
    Cotswold (20 mar)
    Sussex Beacon
    Zurich (17th - of all the maras on that date the flights worked out best for that!)
    Compton (well not entered as entry not open but luckily LOCAL)
    and the flights etc all sorted for Comrades.

Now I can get back to running! There are a few hills round here but it's not like the Lake or Peak district or anything, so ... :/ ... but people seem to manage anyway somehow.
  • Options

hi everyone (thanks Slow Duck for directing me to this thread). I'm in 2011 Comrades and have rather lulled myself into a false sense of security as I thought getting-in would be tricky. Now I've discovered the getting there/back and staying is actually tricky too. So (and apologies if this is already covered in the previous 36 pages ;-)): anybody got any recommendations on still-available places to stay, best routes in (is it into Durban via Jo'burg, Cape Town blah blah). I'm assuming that with such an early start getting to the start is critical......

STFC - I may well be e-mailing you soon!

• Options

Looks like we are all heavily into the logistics of next year now rather than serious running (although lots of that still going on). My Comrades plan starts in mid December and until then just ticking over. nice gentle 12 miler today, didnt look at watch all way round but ran remarkably consistent mile splits. Only race left of the year for me is the Santa Run on teh 5th december with my 8 year old - but at 5km think the training will just about cover that

Welcome Ben - last year a few of us stayed in same hotel (by chance) and think most of us manage dto meet before the race to keep each other company, in the international area at the finish and again the next day to swap war stories. Sure you wont be alone or get lost image And as the race s build up next year should be plenty of opportunities to meet people.

Slotwin - welcome to the thread. SlowDuck knows just abour anything you need to know about Comrades. I am flying London to Jo'burg then the hour flight to Durban all with SA Airways. Staying in teh Hilton which is just across road from expo. Lots of international runners stay there (and there is a small get together on the Thursday evening in the bar of some International runners). But there are loads of Hotels around that area.

To be honest not seen STFC on teh threads for ages...he started it then has gone off radar.

• Options

One factor which will have a bearing on my choice of acommodation is the fact that I am a man of somewhat limited means. 

Sweatshop do not pay me enough to stay at the Hilton sadly!

• Options
    Ben- see you if you can get into the City Lodge in Durban - it's about half the price and only a couple of blocks away from the Hilton...

Slotwin - If you are planning to come just for Comrades and are flying direct into South Africa, I would recommend using Jo'burg to change planes as - it is around 1 hour shorter to fly to than Cape Town, and the flights to Durban are also around 1 hour shorter and are more frequent. Another choice (cheaper, usually) is to use a European carrier but you will have to change planes twice, once in Europe at their home hub, then once again in Jo'burg - it does make the total journey a lot longer though... Finally there's the one stop in Dubai option - which is also cheap but does take a long time...

I haven't booked my flight yet but I'm planning to do the one-stop Joburg option once I can find a reasonably priced flight!

Also I recommend to everyone doing Comrades for the first time to arrive by Thursday afternoon as there is a coach tour of the route on Friday morning (free to runners but other halves have to pay) which is something that I think is worth doing.
  • Options
    Thanks for the advice Slow Duck and everybody else. 
  • Options

I havent my flights booked yet but I dont think the credit card will take them til February. I hope I dont get hit too hard for extra by then. Euro is dying a death at the moment as it is.

HI Ben. Dont worry about going on your own. YOu arent the only one. I am too and I think it was jelly bean that is also going solo.

Did first ever 5 mile race today. Couldnt manage to just jog it but did a tempo run. Now I just have to carb taper and target marathon on sunday will then leave me free to concentrate on Comrades. EEK

• Options

Thanks Keith L and Slow Duck. Looks like I'm going to spend the next week booking flights/hotels etc. I was always going to fly Thursday (indeed to do the bus 'OMG is this REALLY the route - panic!' trip) and prob back Tuesday (DOMS permitting).

Ben: Don't worry. I am on my own too, so, neither of us have to be Johnny no-friends. I would offer to share a room with you to reduce the costs, but you really don't want to listen to me snore (plus my husband my object image). Also, you think you've got problems with no hills? I am in the Netherlands, an entire COUNTRY of no hills. YIKES!

Indeed Keith L, not really turned my attention to training yet. Ran the Snowdonia marathon 3 weeks back and have elected to give my poor body the one chance it will get to recover from all the low level injuries I ran through during training for that. Here's hoping that a one month break will be the best decision I have made since deciding to sign-up for Comrades (have of course continued to exercise, in case you thought I was holed-up on the sofa munching donuts................).

• Options
    Perhaps I can meet up with you guys at the pasta party beforehand?
  • Options

Ben

From memory (of my one and only Comrades!) there are numerous chances to meet up...

Thursday night in Bar at Hilton when some international runners get together

Friday morning on bus tour - think there was a UK coach last year

After coach tour last year we arranged to meet at the international area in the Expo on the Friday where most of the guys from the Forum got together

Runners World Pasta Party on the Friday night - although tickets went like hot cakes last year.

So by the Sunday morning we should have had a chance to meet some/all of us.  As well as at some of the runs before hand. Are you planning any races as part of your build up? A couple of pages ago a few guys listed what races they were planning.

keith

• Options
    Hi guys

Welcome to Ben and Slotwin!

Warren - You will enjoy the SA summer.

Fizzio - a bit of a break may well be a good thing.

The plan is to do this event in September next year:

http://wildrun.co.za/

As a result I may decide to have an easy run at Comrades, I am however tempted to give sub 9 another crack.

• Options
    Has everybody managed to confirm their entry on the Comrades website, or is it just me that is not there image?
  • Options
    Hey Doug

I am showing as in. Don't stress, I am sure it will be sorted soon.

I am still here at the office, after having got here at 6:30 this morning. NT are squeezing every bit out of me before I go!
  • Options

Hi Doug.

I got an email confirmation of entry with the info that they were experiencing 'technical problems' with the website but would send me a detailed confirmation email soon. That was 6 weeks ago! so I have just reminded them. I also checked  the website but get  'no results found'. I'm not too bothered, the dosh has been extracted from my credit card and the entry number limit hasn't yet been reached, but I'll let you know what they say in reply to my query.

BtW Fizzio: well done on the run! image

• Options

Keith

I am planning to run the Thames trot in February, and then the London ultra.  The former will geive me a 50 mile event under my belt, albeit a flat one.  The latter I have to atend for political reasons, because I have finaly persuaded some of my work coleagues to take the plunge with an ultra distance event!

Slow duck, Slowtin

I have also managed to find a training route near my home that has a 200 metre climb inside seven miles.  It was inspired by a route I used to work as a dustbin man years before I took up running. 

• Options
    I'm travelling on my own too... But it's easy to spot Comrades runners on the flights over and in Durban and striking up conversations with them. Also after a few runs you will constantly bump into people you know... (May be related to the fact that I chat to everyone.)
  • Options

Slow Duck does seem to know everyone

Ben - a few of us are doiung the London ultra.

• Options
    Hi all - it's been a while!! Been v lazy since Berlin but panic is now pushing me out into the cold, brrr!

Keith - what's the London ultra??

Ben - like everyone else has said, tonnes of us are travelling solo - on little cash - I'l staying in a hostel in Durban - think it's about £30 a night cos it's high season, but brek is included, and i get a private room- can't do a dorm before a run!

I havent booked flights yet either - just shelled out a tonne for work on my flat and the heating's now playing up, typical! So flights will have to wait...
  • Options

HI slotwin and other Comrades crazies

Take a look at our running site http://www.alsoranrunners.info for loads of info on training for and running the Comrades marathon.  Includes monthly training programmes by the former Comrades Coach, Don Oliver (19 medals).

It should give you some insight into this incredible race!

Beware - Comrades is very addictive!

kind regards

Nikki Campbell

13 medals

• Options
    Hi again - so I've found the London ultra website..am I mad to consider that 6 days after Seville marathon or will it be good practice running on tired legs?!
  • Options

Fizz - nice 5 mile race you did the other day. Great prep for Florence. And i know you will be able to crack 4 hours. 3.59.59 would do very nicelyimage

On a seperate question, can anyone recommend a good place to get travel insurance for running. I will need some for connomara and this one. Before it has come as part of the package. Thanks in advance.

Nikki - actually looked at that site the other day and saw the profile. Oh my God. What have i let myself in for!!

• Options

hey Marty74

Comrades is a journey, not a race!  Yes the race profile looks scary but the spirit of the run and the supporters on route will get you through.  It's about taking one step at a time in the direction of Pietermaritzburg.  It's about being out there on the day, because we can!

From my own personal experience, the up run is much kinder on the body dan the down run, the second half of the up is "easier" than the 2nd half of the "down".

All the best with the training and the preparations.

regards

Nikki

• Options

Even though the furthest i have been is 35 miles, with each training run and mile that passes i am telling myself that i am a mile closer to the start line in Durban. It seems so far away currently, but no doubt once Christmas is out of the way, the time will fly by.

Oh yes, and no way am i racing it. I just want to feel the achievement and elation of crossing that finish lineimage

• Options

Absolutely, it is the most awesome experience crossing the finish line at Comrades!  Definately a run to be enjoyed and not raced.  Yes, the time will fly between January and end May, i always find it best to focus on one week at a time (obviously with an overall picture in mind)

Well you have certainly crossed into ultra territory with your 35 mile race so you just need to "build" from that distance mentally.

• Options

Will we be able to get travel insurance?

A lot of travel insurance providers don't like anything they define as extreme sports such as climbing, paragliding etc. 

Its not out of the question that one of us migh get injured in the race or suffer some other type of medical complication. 

• Options

Thanks Nikki and well done on your fantastic record so far.

No doubt we will be picking your brains closer to the day too.

I have heard a lot of long distance runners say lately that they dont run longer than marathon distance when preparing for ultras, perhaps the double up .... but what is the longest runor runwalk you would recommend for regular marathonners on their first Comrades . And do you feel back to back long runs are sufficient or should we do one or two long runs occasionally as an alternative?

• Options

Yeah, I get the same answer from ultra runners too Fizz, and still have the same lingering question.

Nikki: Fab website, well done you!

Ben: I have hill envy. Re: insurance, I am not sure that long distance runing qualifies as an extreme sport, just an extremely long way.

Just checked the 'to do' list of runs as thought I might slip some in en route to Comrades, but they all clash with other commitments. Curses!

• Options

Ah many is the hour I've idled away browsing the Alsoran website in the days when Comrades was just a vague twinkle in my eye. Now of course it's the Richard Hammond Stare Of Death(*) and I pay much more attention image

Nikki those are kind and comforting words about the Up run.

(*) You know, the look he had in his eyes for years after the accident, as though he'd just spotted someone sporting a scythe & a black hooded robe waving at him from the Top Gear studio audience