Options

Pirate Mentors / Mentorees 2011

Comments

• Options
    Happychap wrote (see)

Hello, I'm in desperate need of a mentor.  I'm 'doing' IMR this year but with lots of injury issues (which are getting sorted out) the real target is IMNZ next March. 

Got a background in cycling and can handle one fairly well (although I'm lugging way too much weight at the mo), done a few marathons and can swim in a fashion after having coaching (but still really slow).

Desperate for help, guidance and a kick up the jacksie.  Anyone interested?

Happy sounds like you need swim help the most like most of us. Where in the uk are you? Would probably help the must if someone can meet you up. Did for me.
  • Options
    Parklife wrote (see)

Waff - I'm not getting out on the road bike at all now since the not being able to twist out of the cleats and falling off.  I'm even considering putting the flat pedals back on - would that be a good idea or a backwards move?  I'm out on the MTB all the time - it's my get around town bike + if I have to do a long cycle, I use it for that at the moment, so about 6-10 short trips during the week (3-5 miles each) and a 2-hour cycle at weekends. 

Parklife - it sounds as though got two separate sets of things going on - riding around on the MTB to get stuff done, and riding on your road bike to practice your technique and build confidence. Try to stick with the pedals - you won't ever get used to them if they're in a box somewhere! How about aiming for three road bike sessions per week for the next 2 weeks - minimum 30 mins per session (loops of your local cul de sac are allowed). image

• Options
    fat buddhafat buddha ✭✭✭
    "since the not being able to twist out of the cleats and falling off"

have you had the spring tension on the pedals checked? they should be adjustable and until you become comfortable with using clipless, you really should ride with the tension as low as you can get away with without pulling out - that way it really should be no deal unclipping.

and rather than go on the road with them, find a nice big empty space - car park maybe - where you can practice without traffic to worry about - maybe even a large grassy area so if you do fall, it will be more "comfortable".

as Waff says, if the pedals stay in the box you'll never improve and everyone - and I mean everyone - goes through a learning curve with clipless. I fell off 3 times on my 1st trip mainly 'cos I forgot I was clipped in and it was too late to unclip by the time I'd stopped and fallen over. You soon learn to unclip BEFORE you think you need to until it becomes 2nd nature and you can do it standing still.

• Options

Hi Waff 

Stick with the pedals? image Hopefully not when I'm trying to get off.

I'm actually really nervous of getting back out there.  Sounds stupid I know but I only had one sesh on a flat track and I'm worried about not being able to clip out before stopping, esp at the bottom of a steep hill with a junction of which there are quite a few in my neck of the woods.  Maybe I'll try v early on Sunday morning - 06:00am .. ish.

I've asked my mentor this (but I didn't understand the answer) and I know it's a stupid question, but do you clip out turning the foot outwards or inwards?  Neither feels particularly natural and I can't remember what I did on the 20-miler I've already done with clips.  Outwards I imagine ... ?

• Options
    fat buddhafat buddha ✭✭✭
    PL - you twist the heel outward as you have more room to do that - inwards means the heel will smack the bike so might not give enough leverage to unclip. if the tension is down low, it should be very easy.

and the trick is to keep the foot level as you twist - don't try and pull up at the same time as that could cause the cleat to snag.
  • Options
    image With some you can do both. Parky have you got a wall you can lean on to practice without worring about falling? Failing that a mate whose shoulder you can borrow?
  • Options

In theory outwards, but I'll confess to being an inwards unclipper.  As FB says, check the tension as this affects the effort needed to twist the foot sufficiently to unclip.  Get on the bike against a wall and practice clipping & unclipping, it really does become second nature, honest.

And yes, everyone falls over still clipped in at some point.  The only thing that varies is the degree of embarrassment - in front of a couple of coachloads of tourists isn't so good.

• Options
    fat buddhafat buddha ✭✭✭
    and yes - you can unclip inwards but I think that also depends on the type of cleats. outwards is safer for beginners I would suggest
  • Options

Thanks everyone - it does feel stiff and I've been practicing at home a bit.  Maybe as FB says, I'm not keeping the foot level and that's what's making it difficult.  They are adjusted to be 'easy' oh and they're SPDs which means I can also have a good old click around at the start of my spin class tonight.

• Options

This is bringing back memories. I remember having to learn the feeling of twisting the foot rather than yanking up as a reflex. Also doing loops of the local sports field and carpark clipping in and out - after a while I was so bored I just had to get out on the road and go for it. I did end up in my neighbour's flower bed a few times - but she was very nice about it. image

• Options
    HappychapHappychap ✭✭✭

Cake, I'm in Surrey.

The cleaty thing is definitely practice.  The flower bed is a nice place to land Waff unless it's full of roses, ouch! 

• Options
    Dustboy Corner is bloody bramblesimage, Teddington HIgh Street was just plain embarrassingimage, Whitedown was the Micra who stopped faultimage, Nice was stupid on my partimage. Lost count of the near misses
  • Options
    M..o.useM..o.use ✭✭✭

Parky - I've just text you.

Feeling like I've let you down on this but promise to make it up to you.  I've suggested a couple of dates for us to catch up. 

Unfortunately though, once you get the hang of what you have to do on a quiet street or car park, it is a case of practicing.  It took me a long time, lots of very cut and sore knees, tears and nearly getting hit by cars.  I used to have to drive to club sessions as I couldn't get out of either end of my road as I couldn't unclip on a downhill.

You WILL get there, it will come.

Let's see if we can meet and have a one-to-one practice.

(As an aside, I don't think the Bristol/Bath cycle path is a help - I used to think it was great, no cars, less fear.  Yes, no cars but lots of dogs, people walking, kids on scooters etc etc, all of which are not moving in one direction and, I think, more hazardous.)

• Options
    i won't clip in on a cycle path.........i prefer a busy dual carriageway to a cycle path..........too many hazards ona cycle path
  • Options
    Has anyone figured out how to look behind you yet?
  • Options

image I tend to try to hear car engines more but do try I think this new electic cars might be quite dangerous. image

Happychap Your near a few folks sure someone good will pop up soon matey. image

• Options
    fat buddhafat buddha ✭✭✭
    yep - turn your head
  • Options
    HappychapHappychap ✭✭✭

Cake image

I broke my cycling clip falling off virginity in Tooting.  Twice.  In the same bit of road.  One after another.  Same bloke picked me up both times image

• Options
    Cheerful Dave wrote (see)

And yes, everyone falls over still clipped in at some point.  The only thing that varies is the degree of embarrassment - in front of a couple of coachloads of tourists isn't so good.

I wish it was just embarrassment.  I couldn't make work on the Monday because I couldn't put weight on the injured leg and that was coming off at hardly any speed on to gravel.

Anyway I've had lots of good tips, shared experiences and offers of help which I'm taking up, so thanks everyone.  I feel a bit better about it now.

Mouse raised an issue I'm not sure about too - is it more difficult to unclip on downs and ups?  I suppose this is where you need to remember to make the foot flat  ...  ?

• Options
    Probably best that I dont offer any advice on this particular subject     image

• Options
    Parky think I've said this before but the first time I tried to unclip I ended up hugging a traffic light like frank spencer. image
  • Options

My 'best' fall off was just this weekend where I'd stopped just before a small upflat.  I didn't have enough power to get going and landed on my side with my leg taking the brunt of me and the bike (a fair weight x 2). The lumps and bruises on my leg prompted a lady in the pool today to quietly ask me if everything was okay at home. image

Mind you, my falling off the turbo bruise wasn't too bad either. image 

• Options

LN. LOL! And Meldy has a kindred spiritimage

• Options

I have fallen off my bike more times than I can remember .... at no point in any of these incidemces was I ever moving (apart from in a down towards the ground style)

• Options

Parky -I tend not to unclip going downhill as I know I am not going to loose speed.

On uphills, I tend to unclip once or twice at the bottom so that I know I can do it.  Then I slog uphill, praying to The God Of Cleats that all will be well by the time I get to the top.

• Options

Parky - I found this in the Bala 2010 thread.  Thought I would post it here so that you can see how bad I was when I first started and that you know it does get better......

• Options
    Schmunkee - The List Fairy wrote (see)

Training report

Well, let's start by saying I did go out for a ride.  Unfortunately, it was not without incident even from the start.  Got on The New Barley outside my house, clipped in the right foot, went to clip in the left whilst static and promptly face-planted on the pavement in front of loads of Mums taking their tots to school. image

After untangling myself from TNB, I leant against my garden wall for support and clipped in the right foot again.   But I could not unclip without banging my knee against the bike frame.  A slight raising of temperature followed along with some panic.  Eventually unclipped to find the screws were loose on the cleat.  At this point, my Postie was coming along and seeing me all flustered, asked what he could do to help.  Cue me sitting on the wall that separates me from my neighbour with my legs out straight on the peerstone so that he could tighten the screws with an allen key (God Bless You, Postie).

So, eventually clipped in right foot and set off.  But could not manage to get left foot in.  To be honest, I found this a blessing as I could stop without the fear of having to unclip.  Or so I thought.  Came to a stop and went to put my right foot down.  Yes, the foot that was in the pedal.  D'oh. Another face-plant ensued.

Now, considering myself to have basic intelligence at least, I thought I would learn from this mistake.  But alas, no.  I did it twice more.  Each time face planting in the road - once near a pile of horse poo image.  But undeterred I continued in my vain effort.  Then I realised what my problem was, I always put my right foot down first and having it clipped in was obviously not enough to change my instinct.

So off I pottered and then, somehow, unknown to me, my left foot clipped in and there I was, completely at TNB's mercy.  But I knew I had the upper hand.  I knew I was on a country road and it would be ages before I had to stop so I practiced unclipping my left foot whilst in motion.  And I succeeded.  Yippeeee!

(to be continued)

• Options
    Schmunkee - The List Fairy wrote (see)

(continued) 

But then I heard a tinkling of metal.  What was it?  Checked my brakes - they worked.  Checked my cadence sensor - that was still there.  Came to the conclusion I must have ridden over something in the road and carried on.

Got to MaccaD's (half way point )and dismounted.  Then it occurred to me what the noise was.  I had lost a screw from the cleat on my left foot.  Waddled into MD's and got out my allen keys.  So there I was in the lotus position on a table in MD's tightening the screws of my cleat.  Oh, the indignity image.

After having a coffee I set off on my return leg, hoping and believing nothing else could go wrong.  How wrong I was.  Whilst pedalling along, my left foot became clipped in.  No worries, I thought.  Been here, done that, just unclip and you will be fine.  Alas no.  There was no way my foot was coming out.  I was starting to panic as I could not unclip the right foot either.  And I was on a country road where it went into single lane over a hump-backed bridge.  I could not cope with changing down gear and unclipping at the same time.  Something had to give.  I swerved to the verge, over corrected and headed for the middle of the lane.  I was now panicking.  Got to the brow of the bridge, ran out of steam and face planted the road once again.

Battered and bruised I picked myself up, dusted myself down, swore all the oaths I know,  stomped my feet Scarlet Elizabeth style, got it out of my system and mounted Barley once more.

Once on a level bit of road, I had time to ponder what happened and I reckon (scrub that) I know that I never thought about setting up the screws properly in my cleat.  I just tightened them without thinking, leading to my misdemeanour on the bridge.

Fortunately, I had no more mishaps and got hom rather dishevelled, battered, and bruised.  Think I may now have a swollen right ankle as I always fell on that side but I had loads of positives to draw on. 

I know I can clip and unclip in motion
    I know I don't need padding in my cycle shorts (the lady garden remains unscathed)
    I know I can cycle 34.35 miles in 3hrs 8 mins
    I know I don't wanna face-plant again
    I hope someone can learn from my mistakes

But above all, I know I won't be beaten

(Thank you for reading)

• Options

The main lesson from Schumks there is to make sure your cleats are tightly screwed on.  More of a problem on two-bolt cleats like SPDs when a single loose bolt could mean being unable to unclip as the cleat just stays put as you twist your foot to get it out.  Good news is that if they're done up properly in the first place cleat bolts don't have a habit of loosening of their own accord.

Unlike chainset bolts which once led to my chainrings falling off mid-ride.  Not my fault at all, oh no...

• Options

Parky - when I first went clipless I spent quite some time on my bike, using a wall for balance, just clipping in and out while stationary before venturing out onto the roads.  Next step was to cycle up and down my quiet residential road, just practicing clipping in and out on the move without stopping.  Then moved on to stopping and starting again.

Practicing whilst stationary helps get the actual movement required engrained in your brain/legs. 

As for worrying about stopping at the bottom of a hill, since you don't need to pedal to keep moving, you have plenty of time to unclip early.