Options

Pirate Mentors / Mentorees 2011

Comments

• Options
    M...eldy wrote (see)

I read this the other day and thought it appropriate to post on here ...

"a good mentor is one who aspires for the abilities of others to surpass their own"

I was so close to comenting on thatimage
  • Options
    M...eldy wrote (see)

I read this the other day and thought it appropriate to post on here ...

"a good mentor is one who aspires for the abilities of others to surpass their own"

I think my mentor is quite safe on that one, even if he is carp himself image.  I deem myself even carper image
  • Options

I've been lurking on this forum for a couple of weeks cos I'm doing my first duathlon in march and then hope to do a sprint tri.

I'm 35 yr old female with four little girls who frequently like to come out with me to 'train'. Would really like a mentor who can cope with me asking lots of probably really stupid questions (like do you wear a bra during tri's? and how does that work with the swimming bit?) cos I'm pretty clueless. Ummm, in light of my first question maybe I should ask for a female mentor???? But, hey, if any guys know that answer that's fine by me too!

Thanks

Chilibean

• Options
    You will quite usually find all your 'silly' questions have been answered on these threads as well ...  there are a few good newbie threads in Tri
    Jump right in and introduce yourself on a couple

If you look at www.pirateshipoffools.co.uk (when its back up and running) there are a good few newbie articles on there as well
  • Options

Hi chilibean!  Theres no going back now you know! image  Welcome to tri.  Which sprint do you have in mind?

• Options
    kittenkat wrote (see)
    You want me to help people out drink me?!

Wot, how hard is 3 cans of Stella ?

• Options

Just re-read this thread (needs reading from the beggining twice!) Is a cracker of a thread - loads of experience /opinions

if the offers for mentors are still open i'd love to make use of the great experience on these forums

• Options
    feel free to surpass your mentor Meldy, I am sure he won't mind image
  • Options
    Iron Rose wrote (see)
    feel free to surpass your mentor Meldy, I am sure he won't mind image
    ~

It would be a cold day in hell when that happens    image
  • Options
    I will be having a word then, you need to work harder.
  • Options
    Sorry ... cant hear you too well today    image
  • Options
    He said YOU NEED TO WORK HARDER image
  • Options

Hi everyone

I've got a tri mentor on here who's given me lots of encouragement, written plans for me and answered numpty questions - so that's been really good, + I've improved in the area where I really needed to - swimming.

But ... my cycling's really not going anywhere now.  I've lost lots of confidence due to a fall from the bike and I've no idea what I'm doing with gears etc anyway.  I keep using the MTB when I've got a new road bike in the house.  Do any cyclists on here fancy taking on a clueless nervous wreck?

• Options
    image Just say when. Round your way soon to as you know.
  • Options
    Cake - thanks for offering - it's really kind of you.  I think I need someone who's got no preconceptions of me and will give me a big kick up the arse - so someone I don't know really.  Sorry if that sounds fussy but I think a friend will be too soft with me and the gentle treatment probably won't get me back on track with cycling, so I'm looking for someone who's a hard taskmaster and who at the same time will be able to make me understand the technical stuff.
  • Options

Sounds like you need someone knowledgeable to ride with more than an online mentor.  Loads of people on here could answer questions on gears but there's no substitute for someone riding with you pointing out that waiting until you're halfway up a 10% hill before changing to the small ring isn't too clever.  Helps with confidence too, for example following someone downhill. 

• Options

Parky - is there a bike club near you or does your council run road cycling sessions?  Could you get to Castle Combe or Chippenham Station one Tuesday?  Chippenham Wheelers do laps of Castle Combe on Tues. A nice safe enviroment to build your confidence  Happy to meet you there if you can make it. 

Edited to add - I'm not afraid to give you a boot up the arris image

• Options
    Parky - you have PM
  • Options

You're right Cheerful Dave but I can't find anyone locally.  I had an offer from a friend but he's v busy with a work project, so he'll be free Dog knows when.

My tri club has sessions but I'm worried that I'll be a hazard to them and to me until I've learnt the basics. 

Schmunks - the Council does run cycling sessions.  From the look of it, it seems to be getting around town type of stuff.  The Chippenham things sounds interesting ..

Do you both think I should e-mail a local cycling club and ask if someone will take me out early morning or something when the roads are quiet?  I think there's one in the area I've moved to.

I've been trying to read your PM Schmunks, but the computers here are slow.  Will keep trying.

• Options

Lurks...

Happily re-run "The Beginners Guide to the Surrey Hills" for you Parky. Maybe you and Schmunks could double up on the trip?

• Options
    popsiderpopsider ✭✭✭

You never know the local clubs may  have some groups you could go out with - nothing to lose by asking around.    Some cycling clubs/tri are just racing clubs but some have more going on - ours has just started a women's ride (bit controversially for some) which has a lot of novices on it as well as some former female racing cyclists - I'm sure that kind of thing would be good for you.

It's normal to lose confidence after a crash - especially if you aren't used to road bikes - it takes anyone time.   I know when I started back cycling I used to have lots of near misses - usually motorists' fault but with experience you just learn how to ride to take account of them - stuff like you hear  a bus behind you you move out a bit which forces it wider when overtaking you - you move in a bit and you never have a bus overtaking you too close again - stuff like that.  

A lot of it is just time on the bike - don't rush it - cycling can be a little bit dangerous and you don't want to go hurting yourself.    If you want advice I don't mind telling you how I think you would be best going on just pm me - it'll might be a bit different to what most would tell you though  - I'm more of a cyclist and part time runner not a triathlete so probably a different perspective.  

• Options

Parklife - it sounds like you need experience more than anything. I wonder how often you are riding at the moment and for how long. You don't need to think about speed and distance at the moment, but you do need to practice, practice, practice - I would say ideally three times per week - 45 mins to an hour twice per week and a longer ride at the weekend.

One piece of advice I found very useful when starting out is that you should be in the lowest possible gear at all times - when your bum starts bouncing on the saddle you need to change up a gear.

Do you have any events planned, or is this just to get you riding with a bit more confidence?

Good luck. image

• Options
    HappychapHappychap ✭✭✭

Hello, I'm in desperate need of a mentor.  I'm 'doing' IMR this year but with lots of injury issues (which are getting sorted out) the real target is IMNZ next March. 

Got a background in cycling and can handle one fairly well (although I'm lugging way too much weight at the mo), done a few marathons and can swim in a fashion after having coaching (but still really slow).

Desperate for help, guidance and a kick up the jacksie.  Anyone interested?

• Options

Popsider I will PM you later - thanks.

Waff - I'm not getting out on the road bike at all now since the not being able to twist out of the cleats and falling off.  I'm even considering putting the flat pedals back on - would that be a good idea or a backwards move?  I'm out on the MTB all the time - it's my get around town bike + if I have to do a long cycle, I use it for that at the moment, so about 6-10 short trips during the week (3-5 miles each) and a 2-hour cycle at weekends. 

Thanks Dustboy - food for thought, although I am in Bristol and carless ... maybe I could get there my train.