Options

Tuition Fees?

Just listening to a fella going on about tuition fees, saying you do not have to pay them back if you are not earning too much. So, does that mean the like of me at 51 can do another  degree in Music for 2 or 3 years and go part time in any work I may get before I retire - thus avoiding paying tuition fees back?image

Comments

• Options
    Quite possibly, assuming you can get in to a course. I think we discussed this before that fees aren't paid back until you're earning £21,000 PA
  • Options

Yes..

I enjoyed the spokesman for the students on yesterdays TV news, Who didn't appear to speak English.... and the Scouse girl who wanted to get into drama skool....

There didn't appear to be much chance of either ever having to pay the money back

• Options
    mmm - I live in hopeimage If I was fortunate to earn over £21, 000 with a music degree, I would only pay 'til I retire. Wonder if having other degrees will get in t'way?
  • Options
    You seem to be assuming it's a piece of piss to get in to a music degree.
  • Options
    Kwilter with a K wrote (see)
    nah -don't spose it is but well worth a shot if. Always wanted to do summat like that. If there are requirements I can focus on them for a year then go for it-little to lose, it seems.
  • Options
    The reducing number of Uni places, will make it harder for you to get in, And why should they take someone like you over an 18 yo with nice fresh A levels (Sorry mate)
  • Options
    -itwill be harder I guess with 1 stale degree and 2 staling post grad degrees  as opposed to nice fresh A levels but not impossible-lol
  • Options
    .... that does make my C in A level General Studies look a bit sick !
  • Options
    I got a C in GS as well Dave. And a C in English Language. Just don't ask about the Biology. image
  • Options
    you could do a couple of fresh 'uns and then do a degree in whatever you want DTSimage
  • Options

In seriousness, there could be an influx of over 50s going for degrees with little prospect of paying fees back  (or all of them). Unis will have to have a quota of these folk to avoid "age discrimination" accusations.

It is the young 'uns that are gonna fork out innit? Feel sorry for them.

• Options

European Political History from 1700....

What I really want to do is retire and go climbing mountains

C in GS, U in Maths, at A level.... I blame it all on the girl who dumped me just before A level exams....

• Options

Acshulee - think unis like mature students as they tend to stay the course and study hard. A fresh young face with a fistful of A's doesn't make them a good degree student.

It's comes down to the bottom line, who is going to stay the course and get the good grade to make the uni look good - or sometimes who has the imagination where needed, the determination and the attitude.

Agree that a uni should not pick and choose on age.

• Options

I think for a musical degree some musical talent might be useful rather than a pile of qualifications.........

a lot of practise on the tin whistle might be in orderimage

• Options
    Do a degree in Librarianship and then you'll NEVER have to pay it back.
  • Options
    WTF!? "Drama" is a degree course? Jesus. That stuff ought to be stopped immediately.
  • Options
    I don't think you can get (with some exceptions) funding for second degree.  I think this covers both the fee that the LEA would pay to the university and your eligability for any student loans.
  • Options
    D'you remember when they paid us to go to Uni!  I had a full grant and a part time job *them was the days*
  • Options
    Full grants were there to ensure that children from less well off backgrounds could go to university..................seems we have gone the other way againimage
  • Options
    Kwilter with a K wrote (see)
    Dave The Ex- Spartan wrote (see)
    The reducing number of Uni places, will make it harder for you to get in, And why should they take someone like you over an 18 yo with nice fresh A levels (Sorry mate)

But they are only going to reduce the number of uni places if people can't pay the fees aren't they ?    So if Hoose rolls up with a nice student loan he should find it easy enough to get a place - after all universities are businesses of sorts - they want to fill their courses somehow because that is their income.  

I used to work at one where we'd interview all prospective students but only to make it look like the places were in demand so they were more likely to think they'd got a valuable offer - 95% of them were going to get an offer whatever.  

The fly in the ointment sounds like it is going to be Hoose already having a degree - which raises the question of whether there is a register of UK degree holders anywhere and what would happen if he just didn't tell them - is there any way they could find out other than ask former employers if they have his CV?

• Options
    Perhaps if "the system" made GSCEs and A-levels hard, like they used to be, there'd be fewer people able to get in to university because they can't make the grade.

"A*", my arse.
  • Options

As a mature student you will be at an advantage, as admissions tutors will see that you are going because you want to do a degree, as opposed to some of the 18 year olds who see it as 3 years of partying. Go for it!image

Only thing is, and I'm not 100% sure on this, but I think you can only get a student loan for your first degree. As I say, I'm not 100% sure on that, but I think that may be the case.

Good luck anyway.image

• Options

mmm -looks like I would have to deny having any other degrees-lol Wipe them out though, I only have a couple of good grade A levels and they will wonder WTF I had been doing since.

Will check it out though. I got full grant for 1st degree and Masters and paid cash for second post grad. Aint had a "loan" beforeimage

Got some musical talent but no formal quals. Will have to practice a lotimage

• Options
    Stu www.coastersgb.co.uk wrote (see)

Wipe them out though, I only have a couple of good grade A levels and they will wonder WTF I had been doing since.

It is possible to have a decent career without a degree !
  • Options
    seren nos wrote (see)
    Full grants were there to ensure that children from less well off backgrounds could go to university..................seems we have gone the other way againimage
    I would not have got the chance now in my mid 20s. I would worry about owing so much money at the end. Those with richer parents may get a lot more help and have less to fork out after.
  • Options
    Dave The Ex- Spartan wrote (see)
    Stu www.coastersgb.co.uk wrote (see)

Wipe them out though, I only have a couple of good grade A levels and they will wonder WTF I had been doing since.

It is possible to have a decent career without a degree !
    absolutely. I did mine to say up yours to teachers that wrote me off and to prove something to myself. Career was secondary consideration.
  • Options

" One of the requirements for a degree in music is to complete a successful audition before entering a program. Many institutions may require students to perform at least two solos of contrasting tempo and styles. Typically, students are required to sight read. Also, many schools require students to possess a certain level of proficiency on the piano. Once admitted to a program, students may be required to give one or more recitals during their junior and senior years.

Read more: Requirements for a Degree in Music | eHow.com http://www.ehow.com/about_5436849_requirements-degree-music.html#ixzz16II74ayI "

It looks as if it might take more than just a bit of practice on the tin whistle! Whilst mature students are treated differently from school leavers, it looks as if many institutions ask for grade 8 on an instrument. I have no idea whether Stu's musical talents run in this direction.

Trying to step aside from the specifics, as I don't want to start Stu bashing, am I the only one that feels there is something inherently dishonest about taking out a 'loan' you have no intention of repaying??

edited cos I lost my formatting somehow.

• Options
    well Slugsta - I would have to get some formal music qualification but doing a music degree would be a goal. If I do earn enough after I would repay the loan but somehow, I cannot see whether I would be in a position to pay it all back -that is the point. Say if I got one in 5 years time, I would be 56 -maybe 10-15 years working life left. Would not start off on good money possibly if doing session stuff. What if I finished it at 60? Be little chance of paying a big loan back then.