Options

Sub 3h15

Comments

• Options

I regularly go for a morning run before I've been to bed. My excuse is that by jogging gently down to Church for the Christmas Mass I can have a drink, get to the midnight service, then have a proper run home via the long way about. Of course, that's one in the log for Christmas Day, too!

• Options

That's a tough run FINgers and a good one to get done this early.  I did a few of those last year and they are really good confident boosting runs.  Extra hard when you mis-judge the pace halfway through but weirdly enjoyable.

TR - I admire your attitude to training.  I know you train hard and I wish I didn't have the OCD I have for stats, etc.  Hopefully this year it will be you passing me and I can run behind Nell for a bit!!!

Just back from a quick 5 miler tonight at ave 6.44 pace (7.11,6.19,6.11,6.23,7.24).  Expected it to feel like hard work, especially as miles 3 & 4 were uphill, and it didn't disappoint.  Enjoyed it though!!

• Options
    MinniMinni ✭✭✭
    I did my ditched interval session at 6pm rather than 6am, so got a lie in this morning.

TR - I don't know how you fit any training in around those busy nippers.
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭

Martin - blimey, there was some pace in there ! With all the kids sports and me being manager of one of the cricket teams, plus work/life etc the best way I have found to fit it all in is to build it around my life. When its VLM season I run commute 2 or 3 days/week, and swim at lunchtimes. I then "only" have to make time for 2 or 3 early morning Turbo's and a longer turbo or outside ride on a Saturday and a long run Sunday (sometimes its just a long ride or bike at the weekend not both). So having a strcuctured training schedule wouldnt work anyway.
    Nell has no chance against us this year, she's packed on a few pounds recently ! She knocked back my advances at the drinks station anyway.

• Options

Fraser - Yes, yes and yes. Out at 9.30? That's practically lunchtime for most on here.

Good speedy stuff from FINgers and Martin. Coming so early in the campaign it bodes well for you boys. Talking of Speedy, how is that cold of yours?

Off to bed. I can't hack it any more...

• Options
    MinniMinni ✭✭✭
    I was chatting to someone at work today who has just started running again and she was saying that she just doesn't really have time (No kids!) to run consistently. I told her how much I run and she could believe it. My advice to her was just don't make a big deal of it and don't fret over it (fine coming from me!!) but just incorporate it into your life. I guess this is what you do too TR.
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭

Minni - its tricky for mum's to find time to run, I take my hat off to all the running mum's out there, but if your friend has no kids then she is either watching too much TV or cant get herself out of bed in the mornings. But lets be honest, if she just wants to keep fit then she only needs to run for 30mins twice a week and go to the gym twice a week, thats a long way from a morning turbo, followed by a mountain bike commute with a lunchtime swim in the middle. The miles we do is more than keeping fit and isnt really that healthy.

• Options
    MinniMinni ✭✭✭
  • Options
    DS2DS2 ✭✭✭

FINgers - meant to say earlier, that's an impressive session. As others have said, must be good for confidence!

martin - that's speedy, especially the uphill miles!

TR/Minni - when I was more of a lurker I was always amazed at how much you fitted into your lives and how you still achieved so much yourselves. I've found it quite an inspiration.

It's fantastic when your offspring do so well but it does become every evening doesn't it. Luckily my eldest daughter isn't playing county hockey this year and it does feel that i have some available time which I'm making the most of.

Having twins second time around was tough enough but their disabilities created so much bureaucracy and red tape to cut through that it felt like I'd never get back to running properly but thankfully things have improved immensely. I think the mistake I made in many respects was to carry on with hockey - I didn't have time for both so running often suffered. Oh well, we makes our choices.........

• Options
    KeirKeir ✭✭✭

My cousin's husband is a paediatrician. He told me of a couple who had 4 kids, but for some reason decided to go for 1 more. Then ended up with triplets! 7 kids! Now those people must know what time management means.

Impressive what you are able to juggle there TR

• Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭

DS2 - sounds like you have a busy life too. Team sports like Hockey are good for kids they get a lot out of them. Getting my kids into cricket will hopefully give them a sporting/social life wherever they end up living or working, hopfeully it'll be local enough for me to sit back and watch them on Saturdays when I'm old and worn out.

• Options

FINgers Great sounding session. Must be a big confidence boost

Martin Nice and pacey few miles.

TR Wise words and very impressive organisation as always.

I have a meeting with a mortgage adviser tomorrow. I have already had two 30 min conversations so far, I am expecting to lose a couple of hours tomorrow. That is about as busy as my time at home gets.

• Options
    Cheers for the comments on the session, yes it's nice to get that under the belt so early. I plan to do a similar session weekly in place of the tempo runs in the Paula Plan - she would have had me doing 2m warmup 7m tempo 1.5m warm down - for her Tempo is race pace as far as I can workout from her book. The tempo bit gets a mile longer each week but I forget what maximum distance she takes it up to.

In response to Fraser's question, I try not to look to much at the garmin but try to gauge on effort, although I do find myself glancing down more regularly. The pace indicator always takes a little time to settle after each split comes up anyway so have to do a little judging and then just check after 30secs or so that I'm on target.

On the subject of kids, I think I mentioned we're expecting number 2, due in march in fact the day after I'm supposed to be running in Reading... That could make for an interesting weekend.... And I suppose there may be a little more traing interruptions nearer VLM, although I tend to try to do most of my running at lunch - it will be the sleep that I guess will be less than ideal!
  • Options
    MinniMinni ✭✭✭
    OMG keir! I would need sectioned if that happened to me.
  • Options
    TR wrote (see)

Getting my kids into cricket will hopefully give them a sporting/social life wherever they end up living or working, hopfeully it'll be local enough for me to sit back and watch them on Saturdays when I'm old and worn out.

At your rate of training that's not going to be long now...

Anyway, just back in from a VERY gentle 5 miler. It must have been a late start, even the 16 year old had voluntarily gone to bed.

• Options
    Minni wrote (see)
    OMG keir! I would need sectioned if that happened to me.

I agree, c-section would be the way to go.

• Options
    Keir wrote (see)

My cousin's husband is a paediatrician. He told me of a couple who had 4 kids, but for some reason decided to go for 1 more. Then ended up with triplets! 7 kids! Now those people must know what time management means.

We had friends who had 3 lads and decided to try for one more in the hope of having a girl. Result = triplets: 2 more boys and one girl. Think they decided to stop after that!

A few hill reps for me tomorrow methinks. Still very proud of the fact that I've yet to run in leggings this campaign.

• Options

Nice 10 miler FINgers and 5 miler martin. Are you still able to get much in the week?

TR, your kids schedule sounds like my lad  - in a football team, training twice a week and matches every Sunday. Tyring to figure out the logistics of doing an XC race this Sunday and getting him to his match too (away!) - think the XC race might not be an option image.

6 miles tonight with the middle 2 in 6.45 & 6.42 pace. Nine days back 2 back running since last week and looking forward to a day off tomorrow image.

• Options
    PoacherPoacher ✭✭✭

Up 0345 again, but the CNBA fairy banned running; wonder who win today's "Gul Dar Early Masochist of the Day" award...

• Options

Poacher - that's a long day at work!
    Keir - good sessionimage
    TR - I've been running more to feel lately, and my pacing is all over the place. Probably just, errr, getting the feel for it.
    SD - no snow please!
    Martin - hope you can find some time to get the runs in. Nice one last night.
    Poacher - good luck with the Ultra. What time do you start on Saturday?
    FINgers - very impressive progressive run.
    Lorenzo - 11 miles before breakfast even after a not quite as early start!
    Minni - well done for getting out at 6pm.
    Another lie-in for me before a 3 mile recovery run @ 8:47 m/m.

Keir: 5.15am
    Lorenzo: 5.14am
    Gul: 4:30am

• Options
    MinniMinni ✭✭✭
    Minni - 4:29am.

Kidding!
  • Options
    PoacherPoacher ✭✭✭

Slackers

Minni get off your a**e - do you want that 3.14.59 or not?

• Options

6M recovery in the bag. I am definitely running slower these daysimage. I'm also finding doing 6 runs a week quite challenging at the moment - hopefully I'll adapt sooner rather than later.

I must do something a bit quicker tomorrow, before a 16-mile slog on Sunday.

• Options
    Morning all,

Some impressive early morning running, and I agree with DS2 that it is inspiring to see how many of you make time to get the runs in despite hectic lives.

I have reluctantly dragged myself onto the injury bench,and told myself I can't get off until I've been for a sports massage, and maybe seen a physio.

The niggling pain and discomfort in my calf is not getting better, and I actually cut my last MLR short after 4 miles as I was concerned I was doing more damage than good. Hopefully it's just tightness (I am crap at stretching) but I've decided to be sensible and to take the time now to make sure I haven't done anything more serious.
  • Options
    Minni - it's there in writing. 4.29am it is.

Poacher - is it the C2C that you're doing this weekend?

Ant - keep your pecker up.

Gul - hope you enjoyed the lie-in!!

5.5 miles for me this morning, including 4 x 400m hill reps.
  • Options
    Poacher wrote (see)

Slackers

Minni get off your a**e - do you want that 3.14.59 or not?

Brings a whole new meaning to sub 3:15 (am?)

• Options
    PoacherPoacher ✭✭✭

Lorenzo, C2C yes, as you know the first 23m or so is mainly trail with a touch of XC so hoping it gets really cold and the mud freezes. Not in racing shape but a solid block of TOTF will be handy

Good running this weekend everyone, have a lie in (till 0500 if you like)

• Options
    KeirKeir ✭✭✭

Gul - are you suggesting a 3.15am challenge? Perhaps on a set day (15th March - but writen the american way) we should all make an effort to set the alarm stupidly early and leave the house bang on 3.15am.

12m inc 4m @Mara HR effort this morning. came in at 6.37m/m for the 4m splits. 

• Options

Woke up early, looked at clock, and wierdly Gul came into my thoughts. I'm worried.

Set off at 5.13am (unverified Gul, but I will take it) for a 14miler.  At 10 miles ran into a flooded field, so as its the year of flexibility, turned around and made it a 20m.

• Options
    JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭

I forgot to set my alarm clock, woke up at 6.45am and decided I'd do my run (11M) at lunchtime instead because I'm not in court today.

My youth orchestra conductor ended up with 5 kids when the last to arrive turned out to be triplets.  And my dad is one of 4, last 2 were twins: there's 26 months between the eldest and the youngest so my grandmother was clearly made of stern stuff.  4 kids under 2.5!