Options

RW Forum Six - Sub 3:30

Comments

• Options
    MinniMinni ✭✭✭
    Dubai Dave wrote (see)

Minni: Nice reps, I always find the 3rd or 4th the easiest. No one ever wants to do speedwork, but I always feel so smug afterwards. I promise they will get easier each time you do them.

I don't feel very smug about the set on Friday.  I'm disappointed with the slowness of the last one.  I think that's a bad sign.  image   I've got a LT, mid/long, long (20), 6miles with 100m strides to do this week so don't think I'll fit in any 800m reps (unless I do them as part of mid run, 12 miles).

• Options

Thanks for the welcome! I'm signed up for Brathay Windermere on the 22nd of May and hugely excited at the prospect. I ran my first half last year (and ticked off two more after that) finishing last year with a 1:34 at Bridlington (for the stats fans). The big concern at the moment is that even in training I've never run further than 13.1 miles, so there's going to be a lot of ramping up the miles over the coming weeks.

Snake Lane (East Yorks), Bath half, Conniston 14+ and are going to be the test races between now and the big day. 

CG - sorry about your dog, I'm training with a friend who will be running Edinburgh the same day as Windermere and he's brought his collie on a few of our longer runs and he definitely brings some more fun to proceedings.

Minni - thanks for the spreadsheet offer, /forum/smilies/big_smile_smiley.gif[/img]rsturgeon@hotmail.com]drsturgeon@hotmail.com if you don't mind!

• Options
    Minni - Not sure what happened with that last post, it's just the last part of that link that's the email address. Thanks!
  • Options
    MinniMinni ✭✭✭
  • Options

Hi Minni,

I have been lurking on your thread whilst waiting for Alison`s thread to get going, but it does seem to be lacking in oomph, which is a shame as Steve marathon coach is great and is always there for guidance, which seems to be a great Runners World asset going to waste.

• Options
    MinniMinni ✭✭✭
    Welcome Shaggy! I get no freebies, no expenses trip to Paris and no professional coach, but I do get Dubai Dave, who is mentoring me to a sub 3.30 marathon (London). And a sterling job he's doing too. There's lots of support and advice on here! Join in! I've been following your training on the other thread and you're going great guns.
  • Options
    MinniMinni ✭✭✭
    I feel bad hijacking you but you're right. It's a bit like drawing teeth. I too have followed the threads in the past and basically done my training with them. Its just not got going on the 3.30 one. RW could send me freebies but I wouldn't trade Dubai Dave in!!
  • Options
    Yes I agree, Dubai Dave is a great mentor for you and there is also lots of experience showing through from the other runners as well. Are you looking forward to London or feeling a little nervous?
  • Options
    MinniMinni ✭✭✭
    It's a funny one. This will be my 5th London. I hated the first but it's got under my skin and I now love the whole build up, event and aftermath. In previous marathons I've just got as fit as I can on minimal effort. Long runs have never been a problem for me but the speedwork is. This year, I have learn't so much more about the science behind the running, and I now realise that pbs aren't just a stroke of luck but the result of many months of hard work. Therefore it'll be interested on the day to see if this makes me either more confident or more nervous.

Is it London you're doing?
  • Options

Got to got to bed now, as I have to get up at 5:30am to go to Loughborough tomorrow, so will catch up when I get back in the evening.

Night night and don`t let the bed bugs biteimage

• Options
    Bungay 10-4-2011 and Berlin 25-09-2011
  • Options
    MinniMinni ✭✭✭
    Shaggy, I'm posting from my iPhone in bed ... I'm tired from these speed sessions that I take to my bed early!!
  • Options
    shaggy!  Who am I going to chat to if you head this way? image
  • Options
    MinniMinni ✭✭✭
    UBS just jump over here till Alison gets back! I've been following your training too, which seems to be going well. Glad you got the issues sorted out. Not a nice position for you and UD to be in.
  • Options

Morning Folks

Minni: Don't be too down hearted by one 800M rep which was a few seconds slower than you would have liked. looking at your schedule for this week you would probably have to drop the rest day on Thursday to get another set in or alternatively shift Tuesdays recovery to Monday and do them on Tuesday. after all its only 6 x 800M or less than 3 miles of running! Seriously don't do them if you are feeling too tired,  I know that my ideas of normal aren't quite the same as the rest of the world! Thanks for the vote of confidence, wouldn't mind some free kit myself!

Becs: The value of keeping a training log as a reference cannot be underestimated, I check previous interval sessions and can immediately see if I'm on form or not.

Daniel: good luck with that, Im gessing that Windermere isn't flat?

Shaggy: come and join us at least until Alison gets back from her grand tour of India, personally I would not have been considering trying to run a PB at a spring marathon with 3 weeks of no real training. Run a marathon easy yes but PB's take hard work and dedication.

Minni wrote (see)
    Shaggy, I'm posting from my iPhone in bed ... I'm tired from these speed sessions that I take to my bed early!!

What is early about 2303? To me 2200 is a late night!

• Options
    Re: holidays in marathon training, I agree DD, although I would do anything for the freebies image

Although I have been on holidays in the past and ran every morning before breakfast and managed to squeeze in a LSR.
  • Options

Hi shaggy t and USB.

CG - how upsetting - I really really feel for you. When we had a chat at London a few years ago after she went missing I was really affected as I'd only just got my Ruby. You're are still training though even with your shoulder pain, so don't make any decisions on London yet. Have you still got your GFA for next year too? Like Minnni , I was wondering how you were getting on.

Mini - I never make it beyond 9:30 most nights!!

DD - hope you're recovered from the half now..

Chick - good luck on your run today - I'm sure you haven't lost too much fitness

Well, after a crap nights sleep - no explanation just lying awake - I've done my porridge and about to take dogs out- I have decided on plan of attack: 5 miles @8:45 (hope II can reign myself in) and then attempt 15 @ MP (8s- 8.10s).

Good luck with the lsr's today folks.

• Options
    I'm doing the opposite of Min and posting from the iPad in bed while having a lie in! About to get up and make my porridge though before my 20 miler.

• Options
    MinniMinni ✭✭✭

Sounds good USB. Hope the weather is better where you are than here for your 20.

I had been in bed since 9 last night.  My daughter and I rented a dvd to watch and it turned out to be in French!  Nice though. This morning I was woken at 9 by my 11 year old son and his friend who made us breakfast in bed!  Going out for supper this evening so having a very rare leisurely day.  And to top it all I only have 14 miles at some point. 

AA Hope the 20 goes well.

Shaggy - I just googled the Bungay marathon (I'd never heard of it!).  It sounds nice - have you done it before?  And Berlin always gets great reviews.  

DD .. I'll run my LT on Friday, with my Man Friday who will push me.  I'm thinking of doing the 800s tomorrow then an easier run on Tuesday with the club (I'll stick with a slower group). I only have a basic 14 miles today so that will probably work.  I seriously can't believe I'm trying to fit them in when I don't have to... I must be mad! 

Daniel...I'll get that email off to you.  Re: long runs -  you simply have to do them!  If you read back a few pages there was lots of advice given to kfc, who was in the same place as you.  Coniston 14 will be a great one for you to do.  I've done it a few times. Not the easiest, quite hilly, but a good workout. Check the distance - last year they had to extend it due to a broken bridge and I think it might be the same this year.  I'm not doing it this year as it falls just a week before London. 

Chick .. How's it going?

Right off to move a shed before the 14....

• Options

AA: Not sure about recovered from 1/2, cycled too far yesterday, swam too far today. Good luck with your 20 miler

Minni: Sounds like a plan... tee hee.

• Options
    Bridget - another iPad user. Have you worked out how to do smiley faces and linking etc because it don't work on mine.
  • Options
    MinniMinni ✭✭✭

Spoons ... there's a RW forum user guide running on the clubhouse thread at the mo.  Here's a few things..

: y:        makes

smilies/thumbs_up.gif

: i:         makes

smilies/light.gif

: l:         makes

smilies/heart.gif

and more HERE

Does that help? : y: 

• Options
    MinniMinni ✭✭✭

ok so that hasn't really worked but the link does! 

• Options
    ;-)
    Thanks Minni
  • Options
    :'-(

;) don't work
  • Options
    MinniMinni ✭✭✭

Spoons ... are you back on track yet?

Hope KFC is enjoying a restful weekend after that mega session the other day.

AA ... Bramley 20 should be over now - hope it went well.

My 14 is in the bag.  Didn't go quite according to plan but in a good way.  I did the first 7 off road with my dog, then a quick change of shoes for the other 7 on road.  The first 7 averaged 9.38 and I felt good when I started the road stint.  I swapped the marathon talk for a bit on Bon Jovi on the ipod and decided I would just run to how I felt.  The 7 averaged out at 7.41 (7.59, 7.40, 7.30, 7.45, 7.26, 7.41, 7.47).  There was a hill in the 7.26 and I can remember DD saying a while ago that you just had to learn to run faster uphill.  So, I stuck in and amazingly managed to keep the pace going.  I'm not saying I'd always be able to do this! 

• Options
    MinniMinni ✭✭✭

Its working here. I'll try in on my iphone later and see if that works.