Options

Training for a shorter Tri

Comments

• Options

Steady there will be other races/jollies just hope things your end are as ok as they can be.

• Options
    mathschickmathschick ✭✭✭

Steady, sorry to hear that you won't make it, but life is what it is and there will be other times

right, need to decide whether I go to my masters swim session on Saturday or not - doubt whether it will knacker me out and would be good to do some swimming, but should I or not?

• Options

Maths I would give it a miss just for this week mind. Are you doing the big swim thing on the saturday afternoon?

Saw this and made me smile.

• Options
    mathschickmathschick ✭✭✭

no, not doing the big swim, the masters swim is in the morning....

• Options

Do you not think Sundays swim is enough? image

• Options
    mathschickmathschick ✭✭✭

maybe I will try to swim tomorrow ow and make that the last swim then. Haven't been to many masters sessions lately because of the ow swimming and then life/kids' events getting in the way

don't really want to ow swim on Saturday, I think I would worry about whether my wetsuit would dry in time, my shoulders get more achey ow swimming because of the wetsuit...so although having a quick dip might not be a bad idea don't want to do the big swim

although I think I saw that there was a session at 11 where you could have a quick dip just to sample the water at HPP, might be a good idea - back to read race info pack....then could meet up with MrsD and buttercup afterwards to register....

• Options

Breathe chook image if you want to swim, swim, if you don't it's no biggy! image

• Options
    mathschickmathschick ✭✭✭

yeah, overthinking things!! Will just see how the day goes, got to get eldest son off to scout camp first with packed lunch, bags etc. Think that would scupper the free ow swim at HPP at 11 as I wouldn't get there in time anyway. 

I'll text you when I get there and we can register together. 

I think I am just too excited image been waiting for this for a year - we planned it at last year's when we were on the feedstation, didn't we? 

• Options

Maths I'm in the swim thing for the 1,500 but to be honest I havn't had time for any swimming lately and not done any open water this year so if your tempted your welcome to be me on saturday if you want to be. Oh and if it's the same as last year your going to get a cool wetsuit bag for the relay. image

• Options
    mathschickmathschick ✭✭✭

thanks cake but I think I will skip the 1500 swim - I remember last year feeling like a boil in the bag fish waiting for it to start! I'll either do the masters swim on Sat morning or no swim

I like the sound of a cool wetsuit bag for the relay though image

was going to head over to Lincoln to swim in the lake this evening, but it is 30 degrees out there,  I have just got home with the kids, have eaten too much cake and really don't want to get back in the car. I don't think anything I will do will add to fitness for Sunday, Tuesday's swim left me feeling confident so I will just skip it

fancy watching the men's triathlon anyway, the women's earlier was great

• Options

image Good luck everyone playing this weekend and hopefully see you in a bit.

• Options

Bamburgh on Sunday, where the hell did the last 16 weeks go?!

• Options

Good luck everyone. I'm travelling all weekend. But I'll try to follow you online. 

• Options
    mathschickmathschick ✭✭✭

Good luck Durham

• Options
    mikasamikasa ✭✭✭

Good luck for everyone racing tomorrow! Don't be shit!image

Look forward to the race reports in time. 

• Options
    mathschickmathschick ✭✭✭

pixie - thanks for the little note in our registration pack image

team Hugh Jass's lasses all registered, racked and ready (well, I need to get my stuff ready image but that shouldn't take long)

• Options

Well I've just got back from Bamburgh. I ended up pulling out after the first of 2 laps on the bike, as I couldn't eat, had no energy and my body was telling me that if I carried on, I would regret it. So I decided to man up and pay attention and take the hard decision to get off the bike and accept it wasn't going to happen. There are several factors, one being a lack of training volume for one reason or another (which is something I've already kicked myself for and have vowed to rectify for next year, when I will complete a half) but the main factor was the swim.

I knew I was going to struggle with the swim. My previous two open water efforts were the 1.5k in Ullswater 2 weeks ago, and before that the 800m swim in Keswick a couple of months ago. The 800m swim was pure hell. The 1.5k was better, but was still pretty much 50/50 front crawl and breaststroke as I just didn't have the stamina and OW confidence, and was slow. So I knew 1.9k would be tough, especially as it was a sea swim.

Initially the swim was to be 2 triangular laps with an Australian exit. This was changed last minute to 3 laps of a straight line with Australian exits between each lap. Water was cold, but not uncomfortable, and I managed to find a rhythm. Got round lap 1 using nowt but front crawl. Whilst running back into the water for lap 2, looked at my watch and saw I'd been going for 30 minutes, which I thought was odd for a third of a half iron swim. Struggled out to the first buoy against the current, enjoyed the slightly easier swim with the current, then once again fought to get back to the turn buoy to head back to the beach for the last Australian exit. On lap 3, the RNLI started bringing the furthest buoy closer to the final buoy, shortening the lap considerably. Got out of the water and finally looked at the distance on my Garmin. 2.33 miles. That'll explain why I was feeling absolutely knackered then.

• Options

DB sorry you had to pull out, sounds like you knew it was necessary. Do you mean you couldnt eat when riding? or just couldnt eat enough full stop to fuel the rest of the race? 

Hope everyone else is busy writing race reportsimage. Only one decent bike (30m) and a 2k swim this week although i did ride 6 miles with the kids and had to haul youngest up from a ditch of nettles so that got my heart racing! 

• Options

Durhambiker - I did Bamburgh too!  If it's any consolation the swim took me longer than any of my Ironman distance swims.  I thought I was going to be in there forever...

But it was also probably the most beautiful swim I've ever done as well.

• Options
    mikasamikasa ✭✭✭

Durhambiker - Sorry to hear you needed to pull out but best to listen to your body.

Mark*w 0 well done on you tri!

I'm looking forward to outlaw race reports patiently too. You rocked ladies!!! image

• Options

Hi everyone - I thought there was a beginners tri thread but can't find it so please either redirect me or humour me.

I'm a runner doing my first sprint triathlon on Sunday following an injury period where I couldn't run. As its my first I'm really just hoping for a good fun experience but I think i will learn a lot more from it by trying to do everything right this time. I've done all the obvious things like practice running after biking, running with a bike and ridden the course but I have a list of 'stupid' beginner questions that I can't find answers to anywhere that I'm sure you will all be able to answer. I've numbered them so you if you feel like answering one just the number and the answer will be great.

1) It's a pool swim, 500m - do you normally have to dive in for a pool swim as I don't know how to dive in.

2) Even if I don't have to dive in I would like to as it must be faster - is there a simple tip like focus on lifting your legs in the air or something that would help me 'get away with it'?

3) When I get out and run to put on my shoes with wet feet do you dry them with a towel or just shove the wet feet into your shoes full of talc?

4) Do you dry rest of your body before putting on your running T shirt? (obviously I don't have a tri suit)

5) Any tips for getting on and off the bike? - I've practiced it a few times but none of them have been anytihng other than stopping and clumsily clambering on.

6) Bearing in mind my running shorts that I am wearing for the swim will be soaking wet should I be taking extra time at first transition to smear some vaseline into inside of my thighs?

7) I'm hoping for sub 1:20 - my best times solo are 11:42 for 500m swim, 41:17 for bike and I've been injured so my running PB is not relevant. I'm thinking of aiming for 12 minutes and 42 minutes - are these reasonable or do I need to back off more to allow for doing the 3 events one after the other?

8) Timing - normally I wear a garmin watch for cycle and run - do I waste time putting this on at first transition or just cycle and run to feel?

9) (really basic question) image- how do you put your number on before the swim?

10) When I run races I normally do a 3 mile warm up with some strides - what do you do before a triathlon?

Many thanks to anyone who answers.

• Options
    BookyBooky ✭✭✭

1) It's a pool swim, 500m - do you normally have to dive in for a pool swim as I don't know how to dive in.

No diving is usually allowed. I’m guessing each competitor will start at intervals (10-15 seconds usually) so you just get in the water when it’s your turn and wait until you’re told to go.

2) Even if I don't have to dive in I would like to as it must be faster - is there a simple tip like focus on lifting your legs in the air or something that would help me 'get away with it'?

The pool is usually split into lanes, with people doing X no of laps before moving onto the next lane, and so on until they’ve completed their swim and get out. If you dive in you’d probably land on someone. Hence no diving.

3) When I get out and run to put on my shoes with wet feet do you dry them with a towel or just shove the wet feet into your shoes full of talc?

I use a towel, but I’m not racing to break any records! Personal choice – experiment in training and see what you prefer.

4) Do you dry rest of your body before putting on your running T shirt? (obviously I don't have a tri suit)

It depends on how cold it is! I normally just stick my kit on top (I don’t have a tri suit either), but if there’s a strong enough wind I’ll give myself a quick pat down but nothing more than that. Again, do what will be comfortable for you.

5) Any tips for getting on and off the bike? - I've practiced it a few times but none of them have been anytihng other than stopping and clumsily clambering on.

Nowt wrong with stopping/clambering on. If you think of the time wasted with trying to be clever and then falling off, the odd second you’ll save with a fancy dismount isn’t worthwhile!

6) Bearing in mind my running shorts that I am wearing for the swim will be soaking wet should I be taking extra time at first transition to smear some vaseline into inside of my thighs?

If you have issues with chafing, then probably. Although you’re likely to be dried out before you get to the run. You can always lube up in T2. Either way, do it in training and see what works for you.

7) I'm hoping for sub 1:20 - my best times solo are 11:42 for 500m swim, 41:17 for bike and I've been injured so my running PB is not relevant. I'm thinking of aiming for 12 minutes and 42 minutes - are these reasonable or do I need to back off more to allow for doing the 3 events one after the other?

It’s hard to set targets based on solo times, as once you put them together you’ve got a different beast to consider! What swim stroke will you be doing? Depending on what you’re doing with your legs, you may find your bike PB takes a bit of a hit. I always find bike to run hardest – jelly legs! Include brick sessions in your training though, see how you find it and set your adjust your targets based on that. There’s no reason not to aim high image

8) Timing - normally I wear a garmin watch for cycle and run - do I waste time putting this on at first transition or just cycle and run to feel?

I’m a Garmin-convert. I would definitely want mine on! I have the 910XT which I also use for swimming though, so have it on before the race starts. If you’re confident on the bike you could always strap it on in T2 just for the run and use it for pacing?

• Options
    BookyBooky ✭✭✭

9) (really basic question) - how do you put your number on before the swim?

You usually get it written on in black ink before you start. One arm and the opposite leg. Race numbers pre-attached to your kit in transition and you’re sorted. I remembered mid-swim once that I hadn’t pinned my numbers on and wasted what felt like an age fiddling with safety pins in T1. D’oh!

10) When I run races I normally do a 3 mile warm up with some strides - what do you do before a triathlon?

There’s no usually any opportunity to warm up for the swim (at least not in the water) unless it’s open water. The swim warms you up nicely for the bike, and by the time you’re off the bike your muscles will be quite warm image

Which race is it you're doing? image 

• Options

I did the Outlaw Half ride for about 70k's wanting to chuck image found eating or drinking anything difficult - I have put it down to a combination of the cold I hadn't yet got over properly and the gi system packing a sad over the amount of sugar I had forced it to ingest - it wasn't fun.  

Went for a bit of a poodle on the bike yesterday - quite windy, quite warm, sugar overload image job done 7.55:41 181kms.

• Options

SF you are in the right place!  I think Bookie has it covered other than go out and have fun! It's your first one so it will be a learning experience! 

• Options

UB - that is brilliant - I didn't expect anyone to take the time to answer all 10 questions!

A couple of things - on the swim they ahve asked for everybody's estimated time and said we will be going off in waves of 12 - I am presuming that is 20 lengths each then the next wave but maybe what I am imagining and reality will be completely differentimage.

I can only do breast stroke - I know that if I ever want to go serious with triathlon then I need to spend a winter working on my front crawl but at the moment I am hoping that running will still be my major sport.

I think your advice about getting on and off the bike may prove to be invaluable - I'll keep it sensible!

Its the Carlisle Sprint Tri this Sunday coming. Fingers crossed it will be a nice day and I'm sure I'll enjoy it.

Thanks SBC too.

• Options
    BookyBooky ✭✭✭

None of my patients turned up this morning so I had time!

Others will have more to add though - each person has their own little quirks for races image The no diving rule is pretty standard though for pool swims! 

I wonder how long they'll leave between waves? I can't imagine they'll wait for the water to clear before the next wave, unless they've capped entries to a relative low number. Let us know how it works!

I've seen people come a cropper on the bike so am always a little bit cautious myself! I've never fallen off yet - as t'other half always says though, there are two types of people. Those who have fallen off their bike, and those who will image I'd just rather not do it mid-race!

*waves to everyone*

I only pop in now and again, but after the Outlaw yesterday I've got my triathlon-brain on image 

Well done Buttercup - you rocked yesterday! image

• Options
    BookyBooky ✭✭✭

Oh, and as for swimming stroke - a fair few do breast stroke. It's not the most efficient stroke, and it tires the legs, but it will get you round. And it's very useful for a bit of sighting to break into breast stroke for a second or two. T'other half (Cake, frequently lingering with intent on this thread!) has got through IM distance doing breast stroke image 

• Options
    mathschickmathschick ✭✭✭

Durham, sorry to hear about your DNF, but that is the way it goes sometimes, well done on what you did achieve, learn the lessons for next time and don't dwell on it

SFF - welcome, this is the beginner's thread, although some on here have moved up the distances, bookie has answered everything I think

with the waves, the pool tris that I have done, a wave is started every minute or so, so you will start in a lane that already has people swimming in it, and some will get in and out while you are swimming. You will probably need to count your own lengths - normally 16 lengths if it is a 25m pool. There should be some race info or a race briefing before the race starts that will have all the info you need