Options

Training for a shorter Tri

Comments

• Options
    mathschickmathschick ✭✭✭

outlaw swim: got there about 5am, feeling fine, but normal pre-race nerves meant a couple of loo visits before getting into my wetsuit. Luckily found buttercup before the race start, and red dog chris. Hug from buttercup, and waddled to the water with chris, said out good lucks and got into different pens. I went into the slow pen, at the back, felt a bit emotional as they counted down to the start. Waited till there was a bit of clear water - didn't want to get caught up in the washing machine. Started off but the water was really manky and smelling of poo, dark and horrible. Negative thoughts crept in and I had to give myself a bit of a talking to, realised I hadn't started my garmin at the beginning so shrugged and started it. I was worried about getting cramp so mixed up breast stroke and crawl a bit to start with. Took me ages to get a ryhthm going, but then felt good and finally reached the end of the damn lake, round the bouys and back, really into my stroke now. Some bad weed patches on the way back, but finally got out, helped by some nice RAF boysimage. poor buttercup was the last relay cyclist waitingimage

A bit annoyed at my time, but it was my first IM swim, first mass start, proud that I did it.

Now wondering what buttercup and MrsD are planning for next July....

• Options

Well done mathschick, that water did smell vile even by standing on the side... A little jealous I didn't get to see the RAF blokes image

Saw buttercup on the ride and I've also seen MrsD finished the run so looks like you all had a successful relay. Well done ladies. (I can't remember if we met mathschick?) 

I'd definitely consider the relay next year (cycling) if anyone would be willing to do the swim and run... 

This weekend has given me the inspiration to get some some swimming lessons to learn how to swim "properly" and get some miles in my legs running and cycling. 

• Options
    SteadyCJSteadyCJ ✭✭✭

DB sorry to hear your DNF but you have analysed the reasons and can go forward.

Outlaw peeps, well done in the heat.

SFF Welcome to the thread, enjoy your sprint. Ask some more questions we like being helpful.

I got out for a lumpy 27 miles on the bike.

• Options

Cheers for the kind words everyone. I'm annoyed with myself as the volume of training hasn't been there recently which was a contributing factor, but I feel somewhat cheated by the mix-up with laying out the swim course. Obviously with an open water swim, especially a sea swim, there will be some variance, but almost double the distance is mental. This won't have been helped by changing from 2 laps to 3, as that will have added the error to the overall distance an additional time.

If the swim had been in the area of the right distance, maybe I could have got myself round. Also maybe not. But I've no way of knowing. Spoke to quite a few others and the general consensus seemed to be "if you managed that swim, you'll manage any IM swim", so that's the positive I'm taking out of it, that I managed that part of it.

There were others far fitter and far better prepared than me that dropped out without even getting on the bike. But as someone else who dropped out was saying to me whilst we packed up our kit, at least we had a go, and at least we had the sense to stop.

• Options
    mathschickmathschick ✭✭✭

Allsorts - not sure if we met - but I ran up the finish funnel with MrsD and buttercup!

I would love to do the relay again - either run or swim, don't want to risk committing to the bike as it isn't my strongest....

• Options
    BookyBooky ✭✭✭

Double the distance is one hell of an error Durham, so I think feeling a bit hard done by is allowed! I'd be right hacked off and swimming is the only bit I'm any good at!

I'd be up for the relay again next year. Swim or run for me too image Although there is a tiny part of my brain that's convinced I can do the whole thing...

The Outlaw swim was my second OW swim since the law Outlaw. The first being the Big Swim event on Saturday. I think I've gone wrong somewhere with this training malarkey.

The water was better than it was on Saturday. They'd clearly be clearing more weed out, but the volume of people churned it up terribly and it was indeed dark and it stank. No one swam over me this year, which was nice! I did get an elbow to the head and there were a fair few collisions, but nothing serious. My sighting was diabolical and I zig-zagged all over the place, generally migrating towards the bank. No idea why! I hadn't done that at all on Saturday. I got out in pretty much the same time as I'd done last year, so I'm fairly happy with that. Next time I should do some training and see if I can be better! 

• Options
    mathschickmathschick ✭✭✭

I would love to do the full distance, but think I want to get my marathon time down first and crack the half IM distance to feel confident of entering and finishing, it is a lot of money to spend to not finish...one thing is dreaming of doing it and then there is the reality of my own limiting factors and working on them...

• Options
    SteadyCJSteadyCJ ✭✭✭

I am working on my biking and my running. Well I am starting from scratch again with the running and hope to be able to do a Parkrun by Xmas, as in run non stop.

MC hopefully the new job will mean less stress and you will get to train more consistently.

• Options

Forgot to say my race report is on the Outlaw thread! image There are some cracking race pix on the Pirate FB site! 

• Options
    mathschickmathschick ✭✭✭

morning

still haven't managed to get a good night's sleep image I think it is just the heat in the night

anyway, I know should be able to get a 1:30 IM swim, and if I hadn't had the negative thoughts on Sunday I should have been close to that, so that is a definite goal for next year. My swimming has improved so much, 2 years ago I couldn't even do front crawl. 

Done my first marathon this year, and got the 2nd in October, so focus is on that now, hopefully get sub 6, but I am already behind on my plan from all the colds etc I have had. 

Then I am going to ramp up the cycling after the marathon, don't want to be flirting with the cutoffs at the Outlaw Half....

• Options
    SteadyCJ wrote (see)

SFF Welcome to the thread, enjoy your sprint. Ask some more questions we like being helpful.

Thanks for the welcome - you want more questions, I'll give you more questions.

The weather forecast at the moment is for heavy showers - normally in Cumbria that means its going to rain all day!image

1) Do you just leave all your kit in the transition zone getting wet or hide it all in a bin liner so that transition takes ages or is there a better third option?

2) I've never ridden my road bike in the wet (someone at work lent me a spare one they had about a month ago as I was struggling with an old heavy mountain bike tank) - I presume that its just the same on the flats and uphill but you have to be super careful on corners and especially careful on downhills with corners at the bottom - correct?

3) Following your really helpful answers yesterday I found this http://www.pirateshipoffools.co.uk/?p=467 on the first page of this thread and have invested £2.50 in some Elastic Lock Laces - I'm also thinking about some goggles for the swimming - presumably there is lots of splashing from everyone else so good idea to get some? I'm running out of time to buy things and have time to try them out.

• Options

1) You'll see people with cheap plastic crates with lids... the sort that can be bought from pound shops for, well, a pound!... mainly the crates have to be left to the side, but some events will let you leave them by the bike... so, mostly, your kit will just get wet... but given that you are putting your cycling kit on straight from the pool, its not a big deal!

2) Correct!.. if its very wet, slightly lower pressure in the tyres helps, but mainly its about being more careful!

3) Goggles are pretty much essential... will save you a lot of time in the swim by being able to see where you are going!

lets be honest.... its all prep for an Ironman on my 100th birthday
  • Options

Ok, haven't quite caught up! But, Maths - try Sominex for sleep. You can buy it over the counter... It works!!!! 

Have no idea how I will manage the Standard on Sat, I can't move image

• Options
    mathschickmathschick ✭✭✭

MrsD - it will get better after today, just try to keep moving as much as you can! 

• Options
    SteadyCJSteadyCJ ✭✭✭

SFF  1. My first ever tri was in appalling weather done in the south. I used an IKEA blue bag, just put it on its side and made sure that my shoes were holding it down it was that bad. When I came out of the pool it took a second to move the shoes and pull out a top to put on, number etc. Some races do not like crates as they take up too much space.

2. Just be more careful, try a practise ride in the rain if you can just so you have an idea how the bike will handle.

3. Goggles essential, I like zoggs but the fit is essential. If you hold them up to the eyes and press them in place  without the straps they should stay for a few seconds proving a good fit. I also use a nose clip.

• Options
    mathschickmathschick ✭✭✭

finally got a decent night's sleep, and without having to resort to medication! Maybe because it was a lot cooler last night. I also had a great 6 mile run yesterday afternoon despite the heat image

MrsD - hope your legs are getting back to normal and cake please let us know how your knee is (and the bike)

• Options
    AliBear30AliBear30 ✭✭✭

For the two wet tris I've done I put my hand towel on the floor as normal then my run kit in one Tesco free carrier bag at the back and the my bike kit in another free Tesco carrier bag at the front of the towel. There's enough room to setup the kit inside the bag as you would normally then just tuck it down over the top to keep stuff dry whilst you swim and bike. Free to do takes up no extra room and no problems with race officials so far. It's nice to come back  to dry shoes and trainers.

Well done to all outlaws it's fantastic that everyone had a great race and great time, I missed being there and was very jealous of you all.

I've had two weeks good training but this week the lake is shut due to blue green algae and I've tweaked my back so have missed a bike and will miss a swim tonight. I think I'd better go see Cake and see if he's got any more haddock around.

• Options

image If you want I can find a nice big tuna to hit you with? If you have a niggle listen to your body and rest. if your out of action for a week it might not make that much difference in term's of training but if a niggle turns into something more it will right b*gger you up for the race. Take a deep breath, chill and evaluate.

For googles for open water races they are manduntary due to them protecting your eye's if there are any bugs in the water. So for a lot of races even pool baised ones they will insist on you wearing them. Just work out whats comfy for you and take it from there. I wouldn't buy a all singing and dancing pair of googles only to find they arn't confy just in case.

Durhambiker ((((hugs)))) mate it happens and sounds like you did the right thing. When stuff goes wrong it makes when it goes right all the sweeter.

Ultra Bookie wrote (see)

Oh, and as for swimming stroke - a fair few do breast stroke. It's not the most efficient stroke, and it tires the legs, but it will get you round. And it's very useful for a bit of sighting to break into breast stroke for a second or two. T'other half (Cake, frequently lingering with intent on this thread!) has got through IM distance doing breast stroke image 

Should be noted just in case that I'm sh*t at swimming. If you can do crawl or got the time to learn it makes a big difference. If sarah is coming on this thread more does that mean I should stop talking about her? image

Allsorts wrote (see)

Well done mathschick, that water did smell vile even by standing on the side... A little jealous I didn't get to see the RAF blokes image

Saw buttercup on the ride and I've also seen MrsD finished the run so looks like you all had a successful relay. Well done ladies. (I can't remember if we met mathschick?) 

I'd definitely consider the relay next year (cycling) if anyone would be willing to do the swim and run... 

This weekend has given me the inspiration to get some some swimming lessons to learn how to swim "properly" and get some miles in my legs running and cycling. 

image Allsorts spoke to your breafly at the campsite brillaint to see the brain washing from everyone worked. If you want to do a relay next year sure something can be sorted and you can find a team on here. If you wanted to you do have the time to do the whole thing if you have enough time for the training. It's hardish work but not as much as you might think.

• Options
    Thanks cake it was lovely to meet you too...

You've got Rocco started on it too now had a text from him saying he thought I could do it too before I even read your message...

I will certainly try and I really do hope I can achieve it. For me it's the swimming I've never been a strong swimmer and I freak out with deep water... I trust lessons will help me with that...

Running and cycling I know that if I put my mind to it I will soon be fighting fit again...

Talking about swimming lessons does anyone recommend any swimming instructors in South Wales Newport / Cardiff area?
  • Options

Allsorts Seren might be your best bet for Cardiff area bet she know's someone nearby. If you don't know her she was the bubbly talkative lass at the campsite this weekend. The local tri club might do something like that as we.

• Options
    BookyBooky ✭✭✭

Evening all image 

Goggles are essential - I use Aquasphere Eagle because you can get prescription lenses for them. 

I seem to have volunteered to do the run as part of a relay for the Vit. I've also pre-registered for IM Staffordshire 70.3 and both the Outlaw half and full. I've only every done sprints and relay swims. I should probably do some training! 

• Options
    Got picked up from the station to be told that I have swimming lessons on Friday looks like this shizzle is on!!!

I will have a chat with seren too thanks for the recommendation cake!!
  • Options
    SteadyCJ wrote (see)

SFF  1. My first ever tri was in appalling weather done in the south. I used an IKEA blue bag, just put it on its side and made sure that my shoes were holding it down it was that bad. When I came out of the pool it took a second to move the shoes and pull out a top to put on, number etc. Some races do not like crates as they take up too much space.

2. Just be more careful, try a practise ride in the rain if you can just so you have an idea how the bike will handle.

3. Goggles essential, I like zoggs but the fit is essential. If you hold them up to the eyes and press them in place  without the straps they should stay for a few seconds proving a good fit. I also use a nose clip.

Thanks everyone for all their answers - I'm sure they will be really helpful. Bought my goggles yesterday and practiced with them this morning on a last easy swim before Sunday.

It was also wet this morning so I followed your advice in 2. and unfortunately I fell off - fortunately it was in the office car park as I came round a bend so was not going too fast but my whole right hand side is bloody and grazed and my forearm is covered in a rather interesting bruised pattern- better to learn these lessons in a car park at 10mph than on a busy road at 30mph!! Hopefully I won't be too sore by Sunday but if it is wet it will make sure I am sensible on the corners!image

• Options

SFF - you have only be truly initiated when you have come off. At least it was proper and not a comical topple image

Good luck for your tri! It is addictive. If you don't believe that ask my OH! image

I can walk - woo hoo! Swam last night. Off to do a wee brick session this morning. Then the tri Saturday! I would be feeling better if was just a sprint image

Go Allsorts! We'll sort a biking date soon! Keep us informed on the swimming.

Aw, enjoy at the Vit. Looks like will be a top weekend Bookie image

Hi Cake *waves*!!!

• Options
    mathschickmathschick ✭✭✭

morning all

SFF - you can ride at 30mph??? Hope you are ok by the way, and the bike. I did a tri once in the most awful weather, roads were half flooded, I just took the bike section really really slowly, and was almost in slow motion round the corners

MrsD - just make sure you give yourself loads of rest after the weekend

• Options
    mathschick wrote (see)

SFF - you can ride at 30mph???

Only down very steep hills with a following wind!

• Options
    SteadyCJSteadyCJ ✭✭✭

My record for downhill with no traffic and knowing that road is 42mph which was a little bit scary but it helps me to get up the following hill.

• Options
    MrsDigger (aka sicknote) wrote (see)

SFF - you have only be truly initiated when you have come off. At least it was proper and not a comical topple image

Note to self do a race report. image Ay up *waves back*

• Options
    BookyBooky ✭✭✭
    MrsDigger (aka sicknote) wrote (see)

I can walk - woo hoo! Swam last night. Off to do a wee brick session this morning. Then the tri Saturday! I would be feeling better if was just a sprint image

Aw, enjoy at the Vit. Looks like will be a top weekend Bookie image

Walking is good! Any toenail casualties Mrs D? 

What did I tell ya SFF, two types of cyclist - those who have fallen off, and those who will. You're the first kind now, so hopefully it's out the way and you'll be good to go on Sunday! 

I'm officially signed up to do the run for the Vit. I don't actually know where the Vit is taking place. Or what time it starts. Apparently there's camping. The things you agree to in pubs... image