Options

Iron Distance 2012 Training Thread

Comments

• Options
    slimshadyslimshady ✭✭✭

Do you want to put your race number up Woody?   Good luck - I really enjoyed Bolton

• Options

5 mile run and a cheeky gym session done  image

• Options

4.5 mi in the Liechtenstein Alps. Up, then down, then flat, then up. Jelly legs at the end. I probably need to rest up again. On the plus side I'm discovering local beers that evaded me last couple of trips.

I can't get used to my training diary having so much white space. I'm happy to run recreationally, but CBA to swim. Biking is alright.

• Options

I quite enjoy the swimming .. my problem is finding sets to do !!

• Options

I like club swims, as it is brain off. Clashes with work travel though.

• Options

Clubs are a bit pricey for sessions I cant usually make and I cant do Masters cos I cant do and dont want to do Fly

• Options
    Cake wrote (see)

image Come back in glory or drunk! guys. image

I was planning on Both

Cheers Guys, Number 1455

I've got a 5 mile race tomorrow, question is do I race it or jog round? It's number 3 in a series of 4, which if one particularly fast guy can't make the next two' I could be in with a chance of winning my age cat in the series.

• Options

Can you in all honesty *not* race it??

• Options

If I'd stuck to my plans.. errrrm.... dreams for IM this year, I would have said not, but as I didn't, I can't see racing it making much difference now.

• Options

Then that may be your answer   image

• Options
    Back in the game training for hopefully a decent show at Little Woody 22 mile cycle am and pm long OW swim today lots of running with fartleks chucked in it even crossed my mind ( brefly) that the big woody was a goer image
  • Options
    Trying to enter Little Woody but bloody Google wallet keeps putting me in an endless password loop grrrrrr! May be i phone related will try on main computer tonighti
  • Options

Ridgebackmax wrote (see)

it even crossed my mind ( brefly) that the big woody was a goer image

+1

M...eldy wrote (see)

Then that may be your answer   image

You make decision making so easy!  would you like to be my mentor/ trainer image

• Options

My lovely wife has metioned the Little Woody on 3 occasions in the last few days (just in passing). So if you're reading this, Muffin and you'd like to go..... 1 x PASS OUT image

Not a good week so far for me. Needed a rest day Monday after a hard weekend, and yesterday's 4km swim turned into 2.5km because I couldn't swim in even a vaguely straight line and got fed up. As with every O/W swim, I spent the night sneezing, bunged-up and with a roaring temperature. Failed to set an early alarm today, so I'm behind the curve again.

Zip fell off my wetsuit last night, and it's touch and go whether I'll get my bike back in time for the race this weekend, after 2 weeks waiting for Ribble to deliver a new Mech Hanger. All told, I'm feeling pretty crumby. Think I may be on the receiving end of a bloody nose at The Eirias on Saturday image.

• Options
    Sounds like you are well set up for Saturday !
  • Options
    slowerthanilook wrote (see)

Think I may be on the receiving end of a bloody nose at The Eirias on Saturday image.

With you on that.

I'm teetering on the edge at the moment, work has gone mental, my boss walked out/sacked last week, my work load has doubled and am having to wade through the shit he has left, which is a lot, came home last night and should have been out for a ride but felt like I had been run over by a truck. Sat down and thought I can't do this (IM Wales)

Hoping its just a crisis of confidence, but don't feel the urge to be out training, hoping that this weekends race, however painful its going to be, will giveme the kick up the backside I need

• Options

There's nothing like the misery of a fellow athlete to cheer me up. Is it called Schadenfreude? Anyway... thanks for that Q image.

If Saturday's too grim, I saw a great looking pub called the Old Stag in Llangernyw on my bike recce. We pass it twice, so we could meet there for a restorative pint? And I believe that "The Galleon" is the best chippy in town for starting our recovery fuelling.

Eirias is going to be like 60% of IMW, so once you've got that under your belt, you''ll feel much better about a little bimble around sunny Tenby, mate.

• Options
    Q its just a wibble M8 trust me IMW is the best race i have done period you will love it ( although Outlaw comes a close second)
  • Options

image If it's any help my confidence is a f*cked at the moment to after outlaw and not getting off my fat arse enough this year. It's not helped that having to work weekends for the day job a lot last few months. Still all in all a very good year. image

• Options
    spongecakespongecake ✭✭✭
    With you on that Cake,its hard to pick myself back up after my outlaw disaster.
  • Options

Matie have you throught about whats next? I've signed up for a half just to get my sh*t together the wild boar down south there are a few folks of the short tri thread doing it if you fancy getting back in the saddle. http://www.fullboarevents.com/index.asp?pageid=280976 Camping and pints? was going to see about hellivar but that can wait now till 2013.

• Options

Struggling for motivation at the moment. Finally managed to get out last night for a first run since Outlaw. 3 miles, HR through the roof and a splitting headache by the end. Either I''m still not recovered from Outlaw or I'm going down with something. Or both.

I need to find a target race, and soon, before I eat my way into the record books image

• Options

Iro.NV, I thought you were interested in the half Ireman.  If you don't focus soon you'll turn up and I'll be looking to reverse that Outlaw result image

I farted about for a couple of weeks after Outlaw.  I ate a lot, swam OW a little, upped my running quite a bit post injury, and have swapped my long bike runs for shorter more intense sessions.

My swimming took off again last night with a 2.8k session including 5 x 50, 10 x 100, 5 x 50 session.  I'm hoping to keep building on what was a surprisingly good swim for me at Outlaw, but that swim could have been my one and only lifetime miracle.

I have a hilly marathon this weekend, which will really knock me sideways, but I'll use it as a tough training run.

Then it'll be the bike for 4 weeks before the half Ireman 19 Aug.  After that it's back to training for an assault at a good time in the Dublin Marathon.  Then back to base training for Lanza next year.

I don't know what the feck I'm up to, and even less a clue on what effect it'll have on these creaky bones.  But what else am I going to do with this mid-life crisis from hell?

STIL and SA, that beer will taste great at the end of Hairy Arse, go and get it (after image!)  A drink and a laugh will be a great tonic and will help relieve the obvious tensions.

• Options

Q .. IMW is a long way off yet .. you'll be fine

Woody .. of course, its simple ... MTFU and get on with it  image

Quick swim for me today, 4 swim and 4 kick for a mile just because I wanted something different to do !

• Options
    spongecakespongecake ✭✭✭
    Cake,moneys tight so no more tris for me this year,i've got a couple if half maras to focus on and my outlaw training has improved my speed.I kind of promised the family I would take it easy over the summer but never.Helvelyn could still be on the cards if I can sort some time off or even better find a dufferent job.Good luck with the half Boar
  • Options
    Little Woody paid and entered now to try and work up some speed after all that ironman plodding image
  • Options

cheers guys!

feel a lot better, just got back from a ride up to the cat and fiddle

• Options

for those of you who have dnf'd...its a horrible feeling...but focus on what caused you to dnf.............work on it and you will come back strongerimage

• Options
    slimshadyslimshady ✭✭✭

Max - great news!  I'm sure you could change your entry to BW if you get any mad urges nearer the time image

Nice one Q - I now see bad days and dips in motivation as just part of the process and as long as I keep going without thinking too hard ( a bit like the IM 'run'!) then I know that the mojo will come back in due course and everything will seem rosy again!

Went for a swim in the pool this morning which just confirmed that I am S**t and need to do some work on my swimming!

• Options

LW is very tempting. Main problem is that I am in camping retirement after the rain in Tenby for the LCW. Well done for entering Maximage

STIL and SA the HIM (with extra cycling) will be a tough day and the timing is prefect before IMW. I will cheer you on image - does that mean I can have a chips and beer at the end? 

A marathon VTD'd. Nutty respect!