Options

bullying at school and how to deal with it

Comments

• Options
    Dear Fraggle

I hope things are improving for your son at school. May I suggest that you insist on a meeting between the Head, yourself and the parents of the bully to iron things out.

Good luck.
  • Options
    fraggle

terrible situation, and you must go to the head to sort it out

i empathise with the schools somewhat in that as often as not the parents of the infractor will turn up, arms folded, in pikey costume, wanting a fight with the head

but give the school a chance

i had a similar issue at a secondary school... the teacher said to mrs c 'if its any consolation, i was bullied by the same pupils and i had to stay off work for 6 months' - really!

hopefully it wont come to that

fortunately in my case, i coach wing chun kung fu, and we could afford a private gramar... the school did nothing, but the bullies got leathered after two months and (when the school aimed at the soft target of my kid who was defending himself) we moved to somewhere private

pretty extreme, but any normal school will try to help you
  • Options
    and if the school wont help voluntarily, sad as it may seem, the local press will be vulture keen for such a story which might galvanise the school into action (I almost went for this option, until i decided to take the law into my kids hands and teach him some rudimentary chinese boxing... joy of joy when pikey parents came round to my house afterwards and, [even more as there were witnesses], tried to hit me unprovoked
  • Options
    shins i feel for you

it might sound sad, but unless you live in the right area, or you can afford to go private, its hard to avoid

i would (and i am for all mine) make them less of a victim by giving them the 'physical confidence'... avoid karate which is pants, go for wing chun, or boxing, or kick boxing

sad as it may sound, bullies get bullied as they are frightened of confrontation/being hurt .. giving them a 'yes we will both be hurt, maybe you more' attitude will make the bullies look elsewhere

yes this is completely wrong, and giving some other poor kid the problem, but as parents in the sad circumstance when the school will do nothing, what are we to do?
  • Options
    ... the bullied get bullied, i meant
  • Options
    "avoid karate which is pants"
    Why am I karate? Should I be avoided?
    Confused...
  • Options
    its the black eye mask - we know it has matching underwear too panty
  • Options
    If we are talking martial arts I reckon that jiu jitsu or judo gives kids a confidence in dealing with physical contact that some other arts don't. Unlike Andy I wouldn't recommend wing chun for young kids - kick boxing would probably suit them because it's more basic. Where do you teach Andy - I used to do wing chun off and on for years but having to move area all the time and lack of ability meant I never really got very far with it. My favourite was the WSL guy I trained with in Leicester.
  • Options
    i ran a class in sheffield for ages under colin ward (Yip Chun's person in Leeds)... very faithful to Yip Chun's style, and the old fella comes over most years [although i have seen Wong Shun Leung in Hong Kong and they aint actually that different technically, its more attitudinal]

then moved to London and didn't have the time or the inclination to start a class so i just train with two ex-students down here (well obviously not ex now, but they were when they had moved south but i hadn't, if that makes sense)
  • Options
    Hello again all - pc's been playing up so I haven't been on here for a couple of days.
    yesterday the three boys picked up #1 son (and two of his friends) and threw thwm - he reported to the teacher who them told them off. I WILL be having yet more words on monday morning.
    As far as masrtial arts go -I'm plannin gto send himn to a beginners tae-kwon-do class early next year when he's 6, so I have thought about it already!

will keep you posted, and thanks so much for the suppport it's so appreciated
  • Options
    Sorry to hear that Frags :(

Definitely time to take this further, that's at least twice and it should IMO have moved beyond "telling off" by now.

BTW Andy, any idea where I can find a Wing Chun class in SW London/North Surrey? I did it for a bit in Uni and I'd be interested int aking it up again.
  • Options
    fraggle,

I feel compelled to post on here as I am extremely angry and upset at what is going on with your son. I was a target for bullies throughout my childhood, from Primary 1 (5 years old) through to 15 years old. A lot of it was led by the same person. At primary school he completely d me, and even though I was at a different to a different secondary school, he went to the same Boys Brigade as me, therefore bullied me there. I was also bullied by other tossers at secondary school. My crime? I was an introvert, I kept myself to myself, wasn't with the 'in' crowd and therefore I was a target. I know it has had a deep traumatical mental effect on me, and even now I think it has had a lasting effect on my character. What punishment did the bullies get? A TELLING OFF! Did it stop them? Take a guess!

Fraggle, please, please, please consider taking this as far as you can, I don't know if you have a legal case, but if you do, threaten to sue the school, sue the parents, do whatever it takes to protect your son. Don't stop short of getting these tossers excluded. Why should your son have to leave the school when he's done nothing wrong!

AAAAARRGGHHH! (A very annoyed RoadRunner)

and ((((hugs to you and your son whatever you decide to do))))
  • Options
    **correction - **At primary school he completely d me,
  • Options
    ***At primary school he completely d me,
  • Options
    aaaa, what the heck is going on!! is RW censoring the word "t.o.rtur.e"???
  • Options
    I'm not sure of the legal position here, but I would imagine the school has a duty of care.

Excluding people isn't that easy - as far as I know you have to have a fair bit of evidence (one person's word is unlikely to be enough). By its very nature (they don't bully in front of teachers etc) this may be hard to obtain.

The school would also probably also need to show that the school had made significant efforts to sort the problem without resorting to exclusion.

I'm not suggesting that you don't push it with the school, IMO they need to step things up, but do bear in mind that the school has to work within certain parameters. Barkles would be able to give you details of what these were. I work in schools, but it's a much older age group and in the private sector. Even so, we still get threats of legal action in completely ridiculouts situations.
  • Options
    1st school Mini was bullied out of was a private school - Howells in Denbigh - their attitude was 'we never have bullying here....anyone that say's we have can leave...' so we did - and the following week the little b*tch who'd been getting at Mini had a go at Mini's best friend and put her in hospital for the day.......

• Options
    I shall be finding out at bit more about their disciplinary procedure when I talk to the teacher on Monday, and suggesting that if it carries on I'd like the boys to be kspt in a classroom during breaks so they can't hurt anyone
  • Options
    At Mini's current school - quite recently - one stuck up little kid - belonging to Red 4x4 Range Rover driver ladeda mum - threatened to kick Mini in the throat......

we complained - big style - and the Head master said this was 'a normal playground interaction' that 'Mini has a very strong sense of right and wrong and we should help her to reduce her standards to those more appropriate for a 9 year old.....' La de da mum said that Mini had a 'track record' which she's brought with her and her daughter had Never been in any trouble.....

Apparently head's son is a trouble maker at the secondary school that he goes to....can see why - his dad is very nice - but hopelessly weak and unprincipled

• Options
    Fraggle - is there an older lunchtime 'interest' group he can join in on - that way he's not going to be so obviously 'left out'

Mini joined a French club / recorder club (she's hopeless - she played the triangle instead!!!) and a chess club - it helped her get through last year. This year she's teamed up with kids several years younger than her - which helps her have company

Have you got a copy of your school's bullying policy ? - if not ask for it - altho' the one's we've seen are really badly worded and weak - at least you'll have it which will make them realise you're serious.

Also ask them to formally record on your file the fact that these incidents have occurred - because when your school has an inspection this should be considered by the inspector.... Not the fact that bullying has happened - I believe it happens everywhere - but it's how the school reacts that matters.
  • Options
    Thanks SS I'll bear that in mind if it escalates. (and Barkles is a star isn't he)
  • Options
    May I offer you strength and moral support, beacause you will need it in order to help your little one.
  • Options
    Bullying is a terrible thing. I think all kids (and some adults) get it to some extent but for an unfortunate few it goes on and on. I remember kids at our school that were bullied and looking back I don't think that there was some defining feature of the kids - some were quiet types but not all by any means.

Now I have 3 kids the eldest of which has just started school I do worry about this. I know if mine were physically attacked that my first instinct would be to talk to the parents of the kids concerned - or if they were teenagers the kids themselves. What do people think?
  • Options
    Hi Popsider - with the latest incident with Mrs LAdeDa and her brat - we arranged a meeting with the head - took Barkles's brill advice about how to start the meeting off ....'no one wants to be in this situation - is there anyway we can work together to help make sure it doesn't happen again etc etc) and got a tirade of abuse - with the head siding with this Mrs Bucket of a woman because of her 'social' standing (luckily the kids left the school now!)

Point is - many many children bully because they have difficulties at home - either parents who don't set the right standards nor encourage them to think of others / or parents who ignore them ... or parents who are bullies themselves or think they're better than everyone else etc...or no parents - the first girl that went at Mini was adopted...so the school 'sided' with her all the time because 'she'd had a hard time'... so she's now a real trouble maker apparently.

At the 2nd school Mini went to - the lad's dad was chair of the PTA...... he became chair within 3 months of his son joining the school..and looked so horribly aggressive that I didn't have the guts to talk to him to be honest....and anyway I thought I was doing it right going via the school's system.

The school had this WEIRD arrangement that all the dads went away camping with the children and the 3 teaching staff - (village school) - NO mums allowed ...every August BANK HOLIDAY !!!......they still do it. MrSS didn't - which I guess is why we didn't fit in - but holiday time is precious to us as a family. Now I realise why they do it - it's for 'male bonding' so that the 'inner circle' will back each other up no matter what...... scarily unhealthy, IMHO.
  • Options
    please it would be best not to make opinionated views of the martial arts here as it can be very confusing and unhelpful. The poor child is not in a film they have a real life and need support and help not fancy ideas of bruce lee or matrix style revenge on other children. This is a very serious subject and should not be treated lightly.
  • Options
    only saying in my view there is a definite 'victim mentality' tendency, and that one of mine definitely had it, and that it's fairly easy to change...its entirely psychology

not treating anything trivially or advocating what you are suggesting
  • Options
    I'd agree with Andy, something like martial arts can give a lot of confidence.

If kids see that they aren't going to be able to bully someone, they usually don't bother.

I got bullied at primary school, but as soon as I kicked the cr@p out of one of them when he tried it on his own, they all left me alone :)
  • Options
    The sad thing is that probably more of these cases are solved with violence than through the 'correct channels'. There is no right or wrong. At the end of the day our whole world and society is built on opinion.
  • Options
    Actually perhaps I got two points a bit crossed there! My first point was that with confidence the bullying may well stop without violence.

Bullying by its nature is covert, so I can see why it is often difficult for outsiders to intervene unless they can persuade people to stop something which they may not have admitted to.
  • Options
    i disagree andrew about most of them being solved by violence (but then that's my opinion!)

either the school sorts it, or it goes unreported/ignored/unsolved and the victim suffers in silence for years (common i believe), or the kid ceases being a victim -- bullies are generally very cowardly, and if their intended victim develops a level of self confidence it generally wont come to violence

as i said, and as everybody else did, the head should be brought in, and hopefully they will solve the issue properly

maybe i'm jaundiced and assuming the worst, after witnessing a school which refused to do anything (and where, as noted above, the teacher took a leave of absence due to being bullied by pupils - and then tried to use this as consolation for them doing nothing about children being bullied)