Options

Abingdon Marathon 2013

Comments

• Options
    MillsyMillsy ✭✭✭
    I missed the half way marker as well.

I can see why it can measure long as there were a few windy bits and other sections like the Waitrose car park where there was no clear racing line.

Very good support from all the marshalls especially in that weather.
  • Options

image That was fun afraid I was slightly sh*t but still getting back into it after a break. Saw Foxy and Trying at the start and just about managed to get round. Big plus for me was chatting up with mick&phil because I havn't had the pleasure now for a couple of years.

Chimney cheers for the offer of a lift the better half's car managed to work on saturday. Sorry for not replying can't get messanger on here to work but know from e-mail notifications that you sent a message.

Hows everyones legs today and keep trying well done for your first one. image

Never been lapped before on that course which was strangly silly to my ego didn't even realise I had one. image 

• Options
    Dr.DanDr.Dan ✭✭✭

I saw the half way marker but ignored it as I knew it was in the wrong place ... either that or I'd just run the slowest 0.1M of my life.

• Options
    Mr BoatMr Boat ✭✭✭

Dr.Dan: was thinking exactly the same. I just assumed there wasn't one until I saw it of course.

Crikey, edit's working again: Just noticed there was a DQ for use of headphones. Look at the bottom of the results list.

• Options
    Dr.DanDr.Dan ✭✭✭

Fair enough - they gave out enough warning over the tannoy at the start.

• Options
    Mr BoatMr Boat ✭✭✭

I agree DD but I don't think I've ever seen this rule implemented for real.

• Options
    The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

Besides - anyone with headphones on wouldn't have heard the warning image

Postie - I can't have passed you at the end - you finished over 8 minutes in front of me! I did try to find you at the begniing when I still thought I could run sub 2:50, but you must have been in the group in front of me if you were doing 6:20s. Very well judged, and bonus points for picking yourself up and still dipping under 2:50.

Legs OK ish (DOMS Wednesday??) but left foot feels pretty bruised - can't help thinking somethig a bit more cushioned would have been better than my flats - especially as I stopped at the 19 mile mark to try and sort out a wrinkled sock before it got worse. Big mistake - couldn't get tha bloody knot undone for what felt like ages, and it wasn't a wrinkled sock anyway - just the start of a blister, so wasted maybe 50 secs for nothing!

• Options
    Dr.DanDr.Dan ✭✭✭

Boat ... 19 disqualified last month at one of our local racesimage

http://www.ukresults.net/2013/wetherby.html

Bus - my feet are in pieces! Two big blood blisters on the bright (had fun popping them) and a blister plus "stbbed toes" on the left.

• Options
    MillsyMillsy ✭✭✭
    I was having a bit of a battle with a bloke wearing headphones between miles 23 and 25. The thought of being beaten by him really spurred me on.

It is good to see that races are actually starting to DQ runners after threatening to do so for ages.

My feet are also a mess. Racing flats was a very bad choice. I have worn them at London and the Kent Roadrunner, where there are no muddy paths and the tarmac is a lot more even, without any issues. Ill have to remember that for next year.
  • Options
    Dr.DanDr.Dan ✭✭✭

Yep, I was in racing flats too. The drive back to Leeds was fun ... winced every time I used a pedal.

• Options

image I was lucky I don't drive. Chuffing heavy rain through on the way back up.  

• Options

I had flats and have a bit of a blister, but I think that is more to do with the fact they are quite new. My better half has agreed to run next year too. It will be her first marathon!

• Options

Sorry not to see you at the end Cake, although I think I saw most runners as I ran home!!

definitely want to run another one!!

• Options

Hey, you'll love this:

I borrowed a TomTom GPS to wear on my RHS, because my Garmin 305 had been threatening to go titsup (battery or any other reason). As it happened, both ran perfectly. As a trained land surveyor, I found it interesting to note the differences between the two devices. The TomTom boys were keen to tell me that it was accurate to 0.5%. I am comfortable that the Garmin is accurate to better than 1%. Think: 0.26miles. It's still impressive from a view 20200 km away. Be that as it may, the TomTom buzzed consistently shorter miles by a few metres, and Garmin was closer to the mile markers. I was pretty impressed how consistent the agreement was between Garmin and the course measure. There were only two that were noticeably long: the halfway mark, and something in the twenties. To be honest, I accept that all Open Sky marathons are going to measure 26.4 +/-0.1. I think that it may be due to the auto-lap feature.
    The interesting comparison was that I removed several variables in this test.
    The satellites were the same ones, and in the same position, at the same time.

Believe the course markers. They tell you when the finish line has been reached. The digital stuff is just an aid. One day it will be banned in top level competition.

• Options
    The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

Totally agree. In training, on a slight downhill 4M section where I can run a constant pace, but which is under tree cover, my 310xt would always be all over the place, with it showing my "constant" pace varying between 10MM and 4MM(!)even across a quarter mile or so.

They're useful for knowing whether you are off pace or not in a race, if you take it with a pinch of salt,  and reasonably accurate for training and analyisng profiles etc, but not quite there for racing splits!

• Options

On the tomtom v's garmin front the tomtomwas consistently slightly ahead of my 405. This would probably be down to being unable to start both exactly the same time. The main difference was the rain affecting the bezel on the 405 switching display modes. Otherwise I thought the tomtomfared pretty well though I think that the data retrieval system and freindlyness of the software would be the deal breaker and I wasn't allowed to take it home!

• Options

There's a useful feature or two on Garmin that sold that one to me. The Snail Trail plotting where you've been: distance and direction to get you home, and if you really are lost you can retrace your steps exactly.
    However, TomTom is waterproof, and even swim proof.

• Options

One day on and I'm still buzzing from this! My body has taken a battering though, but worth it!

After my spectacular fall at 21 miles my wrist was really really painful last night and this morning. Saw the doctor this afternoon and luckily it's not broken, just lots of bruising. Phew!

How ridiculous that I've run a marathon and the most sore part of my body is... my wrist!!

• Options
    Mr BoatMr Boat ✭✭✭

The Bus: Do you have your Garmin set to actual 'live' pace? If so this will usually jump around erratically. I think most use the 'average pace' for the split (mile/km) you are currently running in. Sorry if I'm teaching you to suck eggs (unintentional).

Also, Postie, If you set the data fields to scroll the info you need, you can lock the bezel and the rain/sweat/cuffs will not affect it.

• Options

Jamie- I have some photos of you- and probably some of the rest of you too.  I'm still sorting through them, but will post a link when i upload them.  the're not the best but it was a bit wet...

• Options
    The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

Mr B-goodsuggestion, but I have ir set to read live pace, lap pace and average pace for the run. It' s wfn the lap for a mile goes mad that it bugs me, but this only seems to happen under dense tree cover.

• Options

Well done everyone - I managed to break 4 hours, which compared to most of you is snail pace, but I'm happy with it!  I bombed at mile 23 and felt like I was on a treadmill as so many people went passed!  Enjoyed it though.

I heard a couple of you talking in the changing room about the aforementioned large lady of anger!  Takes all sorts eh?  Support in general was great and the marshals did a good job, especially at some tricky road junctions.

Regarding headphone disqualification, Abingdon's baby neighbour, the Grove Half DQ'd 5 headphone users in 2012!

I reckon I'll be back next year, I'll not be cracking your times, but 3.40 would leave me very happy!

• Options
    Dr.DanDr.Dan ✭✭✭

imageOh, I meant to say yesterday ... that lass someone mentioned with the full make-up ... that was the infamous "D2D" ... banned from RW in 2011? I think she was eventually thrown off fetch as well (or may have been hounded off?). I actually spotted her running down the very crowded main road in Oxford (in the usual full make-up, yanked up shorts, crop top, shades, etc) two weeks before the race when I dropped my daughter off at Uni. Never one to attempt to go un-noticed. She used to (may still?) have a crazy poetry YouTube channel. Anyway, she's a character ... and ran a good race.

• Options
    MillsyMillsy ✭✭✭
    Ahh, I have heard about the infamous D2D. Although it was all before my time on here.
  • Options

image I did spot D2D there I hid.

As one of the last one fineshing on sunday I think the chip mat had already been switched off. Not sure if this was a good thing or not given my time. image

• Options
    DachsDachs ✭✭✭

Certainly a day of mixed fortunes it seems.  Congrats to those who hit what they wanted (Paulie B, Steve D and Ballesteros) and sorry that others didn't get it this time (Millsy, Dr Dan, Cake, Zirion, Blisters etc - hope you enjoyed yourselves anyway, insofar as is possible).

Re the headphones, as I was walking back to the car I saw a marshall warning someone with an MP3 that they'd be disqualified - not sure if it was the guy I saw who was actually DQ'ed.  Shortly afterwards, I saw someone who looked a lot like Dr Dan's picture, but I couldn't shout out as I was trying not to be sick.

For what it's worth, my Garmin had 26.3, but since it regularly measures different distances for the exact same training routes, I don't give too much weight to that.

• Options

2 days on and my legs are still killing me!!

Cheers Old Shadowfax, where were the pics taken?

My Garmin measured 26.4, but as most of you said, I probably wasn't taking the racing line in parts.

Forgot to mention that the location of the tea/coffee at the top of stairs in the stand was an absolute killer to get to. Cruel, just cruel!!

• Options
    postie postie wrote (see)

On the tomtom v's garmin front the tomtomwas consistently slightly ahead of my 405. This would probably be down to being unable to start both exactly the same time. The main difference was the rain affecting the bezel on the 405 switching display modes.

What setting do you have the bezel sensitivity set to? I was using a 405 and mine is set to 'medium' and I didn't have any rain problems at Abingdon. And as Mr Boat already mentioned, you can get around this using auto-scroll and lock. This summary of Garmin 405 issues and workarounds might be useful:
    http://www.sevthinks.net/post.cfm/living-with-garmin-forerunner-405-fr405-imperfections-bezel-annoyances-strap-issues-rain-problems

• Options

Regarding the DQ or potential DQ, I saw the Race Director at the finish line clearly pointing fingers at a chap who had quietly whipped the ear phones out when he was 20m from the finish.
    He did the same finger pointing at another bloke around the 4.5 hour mark who went back onto the track to "pace" his dearly deloved (or his wife?) through to the line.
    Then the poor chap who had clearly got wobbly jelly legs and was being assisted, got a warning about potential DQ for assistance, and his mate allowed him to stagger across unaided. So that was OK.

There's rules and there's guidance. But we have to remember that we are at their party.