Options

Abingdon Marathon 2013

Comments

• Options
    BookyBooky ✭✭✭

Hello! Just popping in to be cheeky - I'm Cake's missus and unfortunately my car has died a death, so I'm not able to drive him to the race anymore. Is anyone, by any chance, going to be passing through either Sheffield or Aylesbury and can offer a lift? Pretty please with a cherry on top? Long shot, I know, but I thought I'd ask...

• Options

Sheffield or Aylesbury?

Pardon my geography.

Is Gloucester close?

• Options
    BookyBooky ✭✭✭

He's likely to be in one or t'other image 

• Options

Got up to walk through to the kitchen and pulled something in my right quad. WTF! Foam rolling and laying up for the next 36 hours, Felt good on my last run yesterday so hopefully it won't be an issue. Almost there folks. Take it easy today.

• Options

I missed Nottingham marathon a fair few years back, I pulled my calf mowing the lawn image   Rest Frank I'm sure it'll be fine. Did it feel like a proper pull? Otherwise itll more than likely be ok once you've warmed up and by the time every other muscle in your body is screaming you won't even remember image

• Options
    Dr.DanDr.Dan ✭✭✭

Setting off from civilisation for THE SOUTH ... so it begins. image

• Options

Good  morning,   

this time tomorrow we'll all be on the track waiting for the gun.  

It's a beautiful morning here in Oxford.  The rain has stopped the wind has cleared all the clouds have disappeared and the sun has come out .  image 

The runner who won Glocester dressed as a clown , Mr Fernandaz, said in the local paper that he is not fully fit   so won't be running at the front  this year. He also said he may be running in fancy dress again. 

Have a nice relaxing day folks.  

• Options
    The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

Perfect conditions just down the road here in High Wycombe too - shame the race wasn't today image

Fingers crossed Frank!

• Options

Fingers crossed for Cake and his missus to make it down.  Sorry I don't live anywhere near or i'd have offered a lift.

ran a gentle park run so now it is breakfast time and rest!!

nice day in reading, though a gentle rain would have cleared the humidity!!

• Options

Just back from having my hair cut, which I reckon will knock at least a hundred milliseconds off my time - could make all the difference.  This time tomorrow I will hopefully be using Ballesteros as a windbreak as I approach the second lap. image

Starting to bounce off the wall, and apparently become quite annoying to the family.  No change there then...

• Options
    ChimneyChimney ✭✭✭

Ultra Bookie, still here, leaving soon, pm'd you.

If reality matched intention I'd know I was dreaming
  • Options
    They can't have got the forecast that wrong can they?...............please...........pretty please!
  • Options

Sounds like everyone is getting excited. I am sure those with niggles will be OK and the odd ache or pain will be forgotten once the race starts.... We will all be grumbling when climbing the steps at the end to get a tea and biscuit!

I am sure all first timers have been given loads of advice so the only thing I want to add is to make sure you take it easy for the first half at least. It feel so easy at the start but the last few miles can be tough image . most importantly have fun!!

Good luck everyone.

• Options
    The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

Pants isn't it? Worst of all worlds -very windy, very wet but also warm and humid! Hey ho, we can't do anything about it, so will just have to endure it I guess (and hope its not as bad as forecast)image

Had my racing haircut on Thursday Z. Left a bit on the top to give me somewhere to wipe the gel off my fingers image

• Options
    MillsyMillsy ✭✭✭
    Glad everyone else is feeling the same.

Just sorting my kit out for tomorrow. Perfect marathon weather in Salisbury.

Was going to mow the lawn today but after Martins story I think I'll just relax for the day.
  • Options

Probabilities are calming down as we approach, and they're looking more and more confident that it won't rain from 9-12.  Looks like the forecast for wind has dropped a little, but looks like it will be warm (15-18 degrees C?).

Be grateful though - if it wasn't for the weather, what would we have to talk about?

• Options

PS That's based on metcheck which gives you the raw probabilities rather than analysing and deciding whether to tell you it's rainy when there's a 20% chance of rain.

http://www.metcheck.com/UK/confidence.asp?zipcode=Abingdon&hourOf=9&dayOf=20&Unit=mm&monthOf=10 

• Options
    DachsDachs ✭✭✭

Bus, that's what other runners' vests are for.

Hair cut, toenails cut, very easy parkrun run. Will attach my number in a minute.

Trying to bear in mind that its probably going to be less than 10 miles which will be difficult.  

• Options

Oh goodness, if ever there was a reason to wish I could run faster it is the met ofice weather forecast from 13:00...

Please don't finish all the hot water, the last finishers could be desperate for some warmth...don't think we will be desperate for more water though!!

• Options
    The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

Toenails- good reminder Dachs...

Z we would stil find something to whinge aboutimage

• Options

Frank - if you are down in Abo this afternoon, the White Horse Leisure + Tennis centre includes sauna & steam room with the swim ticket - great for steaming out last minute niggles. It's on the ring road at about the 4 o'clock position, open til 6pm.

• Options

Sorry to repeat this if its already been asked (but with 2 small kids demanding attention i cant manage reading 861 messages!)- Is there a sub-3 group going out tomorrow?

• Options

In a blatant attempt to up my post count (in my defence, I've added postie's time image)... here you go Toby.

Dachs Green vest and union jack shoes   02:39
    Martin Green15 all black Adidas with Martin on vest   02:42
    Mr Boat Bournemouth AC: yellow with blue vertical stripe 2:45 
    Keir     02:48
    Postie Postie dark blue vest with a red metre mark 02:48 - 02:50
    The Bus Fluoro orange and green Adios. B&W vest    02:54
    Millsy1977 black Adidas Marathon Talk t shirt, black Adidas shorts  527 02:58
    Leebe Black Nike top and shorts 722 02:59
    Jamie Farmer black/green Leighton Buzzard Triathlon vest  75 02:59
    Zirion Blue and Red Barnet top 523 03:05
    Ballasteros Stubbington Green Vest   03:09 
    Simon W     03:10 
    Blisters Pirates top White headband 400. 03:15 
    Dr Dan Hyde Park Harriers: red vest, white text, white vertical stripe.   03:25
    Rosie RR     03:35 
    T-Rex     03:40 
    Paulie B     03:45 
    Hissy fit     03:50 
    Ex Chimney   Green Totley vest with white diagonal stripe, black shorts742...04:00 (ish)
    Cake Sheffield Balti T-shirt and pirate cap   
    Caf Cherry and white "Beckenham Running Club" vest

• Options

Legend! Cheers Zirion. Ill be looking out for Jamie and Leebe and trying to hang onto their coat-tails with some quality drafting for as long as I can!

• Options

Toenails were cut a few days ago, started getting things out that I'll need tomorrow and I'm just about to pin my number on as well. Perfect weather here as well, although if I am being picky I'd like it a tad cooler though, but I'll take it how it is if it means no wind and rain!

Gave the Parkrun a miss this morning but decided to use this week as a week to volunteer instead. No other plans for the rest of the day now apart from resting and (trying to) relaxing. 

There's quite a few sub-3 groups Toby so take your pick.

• Options
    All settled in to the hotel, what's all the fuss about the weather is perfect lol. Mile markers are out.......eek
  • Options

Martin- only the "safe" markers are out, otherwise they get nicked!

• Options

OK - time to work out where my supporters are going to stand to get drenched.  They'll be dropping me off and then picking me up afterwards.  Plan is they'll go and park somewhere around the route, but the snag is that there has to be somewhere for them to sit down and rest their aged legs (a bench will do).  Ideally they'd have a decent view up the road and somewhere they could park the car nearby.  I don't ask much, do I? image

I was thinking either on the south end of the loop between 19 and 20 miles (seems to be some sort of industrial estate) or else at the start/end of the loop around mile 5.5/14.5/23.5.

Any thoughts of good choices?

PSI know the website says Wilsham Rd and Preston Rd, but as a non local I don't know whether they meet my requirements.

• Options

Fido- where are you marshalling?  have you got your boom box waterproofed?

• Options

The industrial estate would be good as they could sit in car and get out just before you arrived. The estate is pretty dull and never many supporters until you get to the fetch water station - which is usually very loud!!! 

Ask them to cheer us all!