Options

When is a Chav not a Chav?

Comments

• Options

handbags at 50 paces?. . . .image

• Options

Would Americans think trailer trash is their equivalent?

• Options

maybe.

is it a matter of money do you think? I mean, is Katie Price a chav even though she's got loads of money?

• Options

If a chav is someone who wears a shellsuit and bling, then you mean Jimmy Saville.

• Options
    Max's Mum wrote (see)

maybe.

is it a matter of money do you think? I mean, is Katie Price a chav even though she's got loads of money?

No I think it is education and general attitude, however you want to define this class.  Lots of people with poor attitudes and education have money, though generally they are less likely I guess.  I just raised the American thing because people think class is a British phenomena.

• Options
    Max's Mum wrote (see)

maybe.

JF50 wrote (see)
    Max's Mum wrote (see)

maybe.

No I think it is education and general attitude, however you want to define this class.  Lots of people with poor attitudes and education have money, though generally they are less likely I guess.  I just raised the American thing because people think class is a British phenomena.

Yes, the Americans would like everybody to believe they have a classless society. Also that they are not an imperialist nation.

• Options
    Screamapillar wrote (see)
    Max's Mum wrote (see)

maybe.

JF50 wrote (see)
    Max's Mum wrote (see)

maybe.

Yes, the Americans would like everybody to believe they have a classless society. Also that they are not an imperialist nation.

seems like they are way more conscious of class difference than brits.

• Options

They use it as a way to try and deny that they are anything like Brits when in fact they are simply Britain's bastard offspring gone bad.

I am generalising here - I've met some very nice Americans - but the collective psyche is pretty sick. Dog eat dog, shoot thy neighbour...sort of thing.

• Options

A chav is like an elephant. You can't accurately describe one to an alien, but you know one when you see it.

They are usually the type of people who have their arguments out loud in public, think that the world revolves around them, think that swearing makes them look impressive and generally have a me, me, me attitude to life.

• Options
    We all know what an elephant is but a " Chav " is a term, in it's modern sense, invented to label and divide people. Those attributes described above could describe a whole range of people. Sounds like some posh bird I heard today trying to get a refund in a ski clothing shop.
  • Options
    Sussex Runner (NLR) wrote (see)
    We all know what an elephant is but a " Chav " is a term, in it's modern sense, invented to label and divide people. Those attributes described above could describe a whole range of people. Sounds like some posh bird I heard today trying to get a refund in a ski clothing shop.

You go in ski shops? You posh bird. image

• Options
    They have a Runner's Need in a ski shop in Brighton. I'm not posh I'm just me. Not a chav or ant other label. (Yoda voice) Ooh serious, I am!
  • Options

I don`t think that anyone should be labelled just because they were brought up in a council house.

• Options
    The Egyptian Toe wrote (see)

I don`t think that anyone should be labelled just because they were brought up in a council house.

I'm not labelling anyone because they were brought up in a council house. I was brought up in a council house, but I'm not a chav. I know people from a middle class background who act chavvy. It's nothing to do with background.

• Options
    I think the argument depicts the truth, that, the term is meaningless. It's not this it's not that. What's the point? A person who act in a certain way depicts themselves fine enough without some social label. It's just a term for people who begrudge they can't call people niggers or pakis any more.
  • Options
    Rickster wrote (see)
    The Egyptian Toe wrote (see)

I'm not labelling anyone because they were brought up in a council house. I was brought up in a council house, but I'm not a chav. I know people from a middle class background who act chavvy. It's nothing to do with background.

Quite right Rickster. I lived in a council house when I was younger and I'm not a chav. 

Sussex Runner (NLR) wrote (see)
    I think the argument depicts the truth, that, the term is meaningless. It's not this it's not that. What's the point? A person who act in a certain way depicts themselves fine enough without some social label. It's just a term for people who begrudge they can't call people niggers or pakis any more.

No, the term for them is "racists" and there are probably just as many, if not more of them in the upper eschelons of society.

• Options

Chav is a derogatory term for people of the lower social classes who exhibit exaggerated stereotypical attributes (tattoos, staffie, roll-ups, can of special brew in the hand, No 1 cut - and that's just the women, boom boom) but who also behave in an inconsiderate or antisocial manner.

You can be from that background and show all of those stereotypes and be a decent considerate person, in which case you're not a chav.

It's partly class but mostly behaviour that brings the label.

At the other end of the scale we have the ill-behaved upper classes, the so-called feral rich, who have their own derogatory names.

Comparing this to racially abusive terms is wrong and misses the point.

• Options

I've got a Staffordshire terrier, beautiful chap called Harry 

i live in a council house with a lovely garden ,full of flowers

i wear sports gear all the time and don't use capitals when i know i should

but i hardly swear  and

don't drink alcohol  

Still i feel  qualified  to call myself  a  Chav

on a public forum.  

I'm a chav i am a chav i'm a chavvy

don't wipe my bum proper 

when i use the lavvy .

• Options

I'm pointing at my post David. image 

which coincidently was my

1111st.  

• Options
    David Falconer 3 wrote (see)
    Screamapillar wrote (see)

Quite right Rickster. I lived in a council house when I was younger and I'm not a chav. 

Can someone point me to any post on the internet where people freely admit to being a chav?

Denying you are a chav does not make it so.

You seem to have misunderstood the reason for mine and Rickster's comments which is that The Egyptian Toe was equating being a "chav" with growing up in a council house. It has nothing to do with that at all.

And my denying that I'm a "chav" does make it so, I can assure you. I can give you a hundred reasons why but I don't need to - because you already know I'm not and are just trolling. 

BTW Danny Dyer once asserted he was a "chav" and proud of it.

• Options

" Danny Dyer once asserted he was a "chav" and proud of it."

You mean that loser, hardman wannabe??

LOL, Danny Dyer is even lower in the food chain than a chav.

The very same. And I don't like him either. But it just goes to show you that some people wear the label with pride.

• Options
    Muttley wrote (see)

Chav is a derogatory term for people of the lower social classes who exhibit exaggerated stereotypical attributes (tattoos, staffie, roll-ups, can of special brew in the hand, No 1 cut - and that's just the women, boom boom) but who also behave in an inconsiderate or antisocial manner.

You can be from that background and show all of those stereotypes and be a decent considerate person, in which case you're not a chav.

It's partly class but mostly behaviour that brings the label.

At the other end of the scale we have the ill-behaved upper classes, the so-called feral rich, who have their own derogatory names.

Comparing this to racially abusive terms is wrong and misses the point.

Yes, this ^ ^ ^

• Options
    skottyskotty ✭✭✭

" Danny Dyer once asserted he was a "chav" and proud of it."

You mean that loser, hardman wannabe??

LOL, Danny Dyer is even lower in the food chain than a chav.

perhaps he's a wannabe chav.

people need to have aspirations.

• Options

Julie, I think it's a horrible word, but not because I think it's racially abusive or comparable to racially abusive terms. I simply believe it fits into this detestable need so many people seem to have to label other people they don't like in order to make them feel good about themselves. I have to admit I've been guilty of this in my life, and probably will be again - but I recognise it's not a good trait.