Options

Monday 10th November

2»

Comments

• Options
    Good luck, CollyM - let us know how you get on.

• Options
    Afternoon all,

Back in the country for a week after a week in Africa..

Did 6 miles at base training HR (ie bloody slow) but will persist.

Why: Base building (I hope)
    Last hard: Can't remember
    Last rest: Saturday

I hope to run every day this week..
  • Options
    Good afternoon,

What: 5.5 easy
    Why: Legs heavy after Hadd test
    Last hard(ish): Yesterday
    Last rest: 16 days ago
    7 day cumulative mileage: 40m

Going to try and pick up the pace a bit tomorrow, I ran a mile today a ~149 bpm and it felt easier than the other miles at ~145. My 70% figure is 152, so it should still be aerobic.
  • Options
    HillyHilly ✭✭✭
    Good luck CollyM in the race and enjoy your stay too!

Thanks Alison and I hope your calf gets better soon too!
  • Options
    Well, dug out 10k schedule and rather than p*ssing around, today did

3 mile warm up
    400 metres @ 171 av
    2 min recovery @162
    400 metres @ 169 av
    2 min recovery @168
    400 metres @ 175 av
    2 min recovery @167
    400 metres @ 174 av
    2 min recovery @164
    400 metres @ 171 av
    2 min recovery @155
    400 metres @ 172 av
    2 min recovery @168
    400 metres @ 173 av
    2 min recovery @169
    400 metres @ 177 av
    3.5 mile warm down

.... in the process managed to record an all time high heart rate of 188.

It was a very hilly, off road course, which explains why some of the recoveries were quite high!

It felt GREAT. It is fantastic to be back into proper training again. Legs a bit wobbly now. Climbing wall later shouldbe interesting!

I felt really strong - a week of going anaerobic on the turbo trainer has done me the power of good.

Hilly - funnily enough, snow shoeing here is a bit of a fringe activity. People race on cross country skis in the winter instead of snow snoeing. I've just got standard walking/mountaineering snow shoes - you can can get ultra lightweight ones for running but they cost over £200!

But all our snow has gone again, and today I was running in a t-shirt!

• Options
    Minkin, that sound's fine to me, but take an easy week before upping it again, please :-)
    I've upped my mileage in the past from about 37 to 70+ in a week with no problems but maybe not one of my best idea's.

MtB, take time to recover it will be well worth it. 3 marathons in 3 days is not easy, I struggled with one!!!!! & I'm not planning on being ill this winter either!

I'm made two banana cakes when I got in from work & they might last until the weekend, & that's in recovery training.

Must go play with my new toy, triax c8 HRM, any advice is welcome here please

• Options
    Evening all,

Good luck Colly M for the marathon.

What: start of FLM training programme albeit a rather gentle one today with 10km nice and gentle on treadmill.

Why: Half way between recovery and full fledged attack in new programme.

Tim - I found major use for my hrm was basically to confirm what my body was telling me. As such, major use for me was to keep heart rate low on recovery runs and relatively low at start of long runs and perhaps when I was being lazy to give a signal to kick a bit harded on tempo sessions or intervals. Also helped understand why on some days things were not coming together as well as on others. But I used it as tool rather than absolute master.

Simon
  • Options
    What - 50 minutes steady off road

Why - Usual Monday

Last Hard - Saturday

Last Rest 14 days
  • Options
    Simon,

That's the way I feel a HRM should be used so i'm glad not to be the only one.
  • Options
    SiT, BT

that's pretty much the way I use my HRM too

evening all

Good luck CollyM
    Sorry to you seem to be enduring a persistent bug Drew. You had one last winter too didn't you - didn't it cause you to miss out on Helsby?
    Hope the leg benefits from a break Hilly

what: nothing
    why: scheduled rest day + hopefully knee will benefit as well

last hard day: Tue
    last rest day: last Mon
  • Options
    oops - think you know what sort of break I mean Hilly! :-)
  • Options
    Good luck Colly M.

Re HRMs - how important is it to know average HR? When I run I just keep it within a range of 5 (getting quite adept at it now on regular routes).

10 mile completed tonight with another 32 secs off pb @150-155 bpm. Some sections were exactly the same time as last week and some were quicker. Weird.

Get well soon Drew.
  • Options
    HillyHilly ✭✭✭
    LOL Mike, yea I know what you mean and I too hope the rest helps as I'm a rather impatient runner!

Hope your knee also feels better from your rest day!
  • Options
    Evening - Rest day today as i was at work till 7.
    Busy day i'm shattered!
    Anyhow will try a little one tomorrow after work when it's a little less chaotic.

Minkin
    Your increase in mileage remids me of mine
    Prior to starting Base training my highest mileage was 18¼ miles( 4 weeks before)
    Since i started my mileage has been, 7,(had a few days away when i did no running),27(was off work for a week),22(was feeling exhausted)15 (cut mileage back, advice by ceal)21(last week felt more energised)

Although i had no niggles i probably did too much so am gradually increasing mileage and will probably cut back every 4th week so my body recovers.
  • Options
    BodBod ✭✭✭
    After 6m weary legged this am just been and done another 5 and felt great, it's amazing how things turn round, am looking forward to next run at 0530 tomorrow.

Night all
  • Options
    Bod, I've alway's found just because the morning run feel's terible the evening one may not.
  • Options
    WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    Good progress Bod, pleased to see you are sticking at it.

Minkin, agree with other people's comments. It is advisable to occasionally 'plateau' and stick at the same mileage for a week or two. You are essentially fooling the body into thinking that it has always done this much exercise!

Gave my new Nike Triax TC shoes an outing tonight. As they are a lightweight trainer I decided on a 6 mile fartlek. Very pleased with them, even on first outing. Light, responsive and dead comfy.

It is starting to resemble a Doctor's waiting room on here. Please recover soon those of you with injuries and ailments!
  • Options
    what: - just off out for a steady 4 miles or so in a minute
    why : want to keep ticking over and have a hard day tomorrow so dont want to kill myself.

Just spoke to FLM beginner Phil on the phone. He's been going out for 2-3 miles most evenings - but he's a bit concerned about his training plan which calls for 2*45 minute runs this at the weekends - I've arranged to go for a jog with him the weekend after this.

How long does it take a doctor to look at some x-rays ?