Morning,

What: rest
    Why: rest & recovery still

Last hard: the weekend ;-)
    Last rest: Fri
  • Options
    Morning all,

What: 9 miles jog done, 10 at lunchtime & 13 tonight
    Why: weight loss and aerobic base building. Off work today, so get to do a decent run at lunchtime.
    Last hard: 8 days
    Last rest: 5 days

Have a good one
  • Options
    Morning,

Good news-managed a very slow run and had no pain in my knees at all. They are definately ready for a steady run.

Bad News-coming down with the flu I think. Seems like ages since I've been able to train properly.
  • Options
    HillyHilly ✭✭✭
    Morning,

what:circuits tonight, but with concentration on upper body, cv machines and stomach, no running!
    why:cv training, but resting injured leg from impact sport
    last hard:Wed last week
    last rest:Sat
  • Options
    Get well soon Matt
    I'm going to try 6miles at 8.5min/mile pace which is fast for me.
    Last hard Friday
    Last rest Sat/Sun - but did have a tennis match yesterday!
  • Options
    Matt - Good news indeed. Take it steady.

Hilly - I must be struggling with my concentration - read that as 'circus tonight'!

No running for me either. Gym cv machines with no impact stuff.
  • Options
    MinksMinks ✭✭✭
    Hi all,

What: Not sure - 3 or 4 miles recovery.
    Why: Ran 30 miles last week, my highest-ever weekly mileage. But I'm not sure if I'm increasing too quickly. I feel OK, but a bit tired. Going from 4 days a week to 5 seems like a big increase. And I've gone from 19 miles a week (over a few weeks) to 26 for one week then straight to 30 last week. Is this too much?
    Last hard: Tempo run Friday night, 85% WHR.
    Last rest: Saturday.

Good news, Matt - but go easy now ...
    Hope your leg feels better soon, Hilly.

Have a good day everyone.
  • Options
    Morning all,

I missed posting yesterday, did an 8 and a bit hilly mile at a pretty comfortable pace(ran with girlfriend), about 8:45 I think. Do those too often and I'll be in danger of base training....

tonight: hill reps I think, 10 - 12 times up the short sharp side of Primrose Hill
    why: last hard session before Brighton, and don't want to go to the track
    last hard: Saturday
    last rest: Friday

Have a good day, all.

v
  • Options
    Morning All

What: 5 miles tempo
    why: tapering for sunday 10k at Brighton

Have a good day everybody
  • Options
    Morning

What: steady 4 miles this morning, planning another 3-4 at lunchtime
    Why: just want to start upping mileage a tad
    Last hardest: Thursday
    Last rest: Fr/Sat

Sorry to read about the leg Hilly & hope it soon recovers & that everybody else avoids the various seasonal lurgies.

Happy week all!

• Options
    Morning

What: Not sure depends on thigh but prob 10K easy.

Why: Recovering from NYC Marathon

Last Hard: NYC

Last Rest: All week thereafter.

Need to enter my next race as lacking focus at the moment

Have a good one.
  • Options
    Morning all

hope this proves a better week for you Hilly, oh and work out what you'll do at traffic lights with those cleats...

Minkin, 19/26/30+ sounds pretty drastic for an arthritic like me but a youngster like you could probably be OK. However, listen to your body - joints in particular and adapt - remember that taking 4th week easy is a good tip.

I enjoyed a damp/wet 4 lap 4.5 mile race on Sunday. Nothing special, except that I spent the first 3 laps hoping I wasn't going to fast by keeping a usually faster club mate in sight. Caught him at the start of final hill and then worried I was pushing too hard as I left him. Still felt pretty strong before sprinting in to finish. 30 secs up on last year, but not quite sub 6:45 miling. Although I paid little attention to it while racing my avg HR was the highest I've ever had over a race of this sort of distance so maybe my steady running/low speedwork approach is working??

What : 5 + mile steady
    Why : recovery plus readying for Brighton this w/e
    last hard : sun
    last rest : sat
  • Options
    MtB, just keep reading Big Tim's posts. Let it take the time it needs. Hope flu doesn't materialize.

Hilly, still wishing you speedy recovery. Glad to hear that this Sunday is not as much make or break as was first thought.

What: 6 mile route, longer version (along the edge of the river rather than the straighter tarmac path). Working on run/walk 8/1, with a view to being able to enjoy a speedier pace and still not get knackered. Seemed to hit it just about right today, in spite of feeling pretty marginal when I set out.

Actually, I think, perhaps, because of feeling pretty grot when I set out. Therefore I set out quite cautiously, and was still feeling better and better as the run wore on. Worth making a note of. I've got a 10 mile race (Stortford 10) this Sunday, and maybe that's the strategy to adopt.
  • Options
    Morning,

What: am 4m easy, pm weights + 4m steady
    Why: easy day
    Last hard: Thursday
    Last rest: Saturday

Have a good one.
  • Options
    What: rest
    Why: feel the lurgy approaching
    Last hard: yesterday

Minkin, seems a big increase, but VERY similar to what I have done over the last month. Did my 1st 30mile week at lower intensity than 20 mile week and felt ok. Go by how you feel. I am bringing my week down to 25 (maybe less if this cold settles in) and back up to 30 next week. Good luck!
  • Options
    drewdrew ✭✭✭
    Morning all,

Still suffering from viral infection and haven't really trained seriously for nearly two weeks. Maybe this week will see the back of it!

SFH Legs, sounds like your base fitness is at a much higher level than normal resulting in feeling strong at the end. Good result!
  • Options
    Morning all - some sterling efforts again from people over the weekend - sorry to hear of some illnesses and injuries.

What: A weekend away helping to instruct and assess some young people training for their Duke of Edinburgh Award Expeditions. Enjoyed several hours good walking - glorious autumnal colours.
    Last hard: 15 days, Snowdonia Marathon

With the exception of a few gym & swim sessions planned for this week am likely to be having another week of recovery - hip on LHS is still too painful to run on.
  • Options
    Just completed my first month of 30-mile weeks, and it feels OK - despite increasing intensity at the same time by running with faster people since I joined a club.

Now I intend to increase my long run at the weekend from 10-12 miles to 14-15 - but do it quite slowly and cautiously while maintaining the new mileage and intensity.

• Options
    Morning all

Right, today after too many weeks/months of pottering around and not really training with any great focus or intent (injury, work and a refound love affair with my bike haven´t helped), proper running starts again.

There´s a local 10k on new year´s eve and I´d like to get sub 44 for the first time since I was a nipper.

Work and my MA, and sometimes the weather, are conspiring against me at the moment, but I will overcome....

Oooh, feel all positive now I´ve posted this - nothing like public declarations of intent.

So - what: Six miles brisk-ish. And hunting for a training programme. Hopefully swimming too.
    Why: Sub 44... sub 44... it´s not fast, I know, but it´s a start ...
    Last hard: last week (for running), yesterday on the turbo trainer - 40 minutes during the England - Wales second half with pulse rate rising and rising ...

Good luck with the cleats, Hilly. The funny thing is, I can only cope with them if I don´t think about them - as soon as I think... that´s it! They are worth the effort though - not just for pedalling technique, but so that your feet aren´t trapped on the pedals if you fall off. Saves skin, knees, everything
  • Options
    LizzyB

to some of us you still are a nipper ;-) You youthful lass you.
  • Options
    BodBod ✭✭✭
    Hi All

what: Thread sub-title sums it up. Dragged myself out of bed to do 6m very easy (ohne HRM, battery kaput), plan another 5m tonight

why: HM race Sunday but want to keep miles up so am having a gentle try at doubles followed by at least 3 days reast.

LAst rest: 17days and feeling it - legs heavy at start of run.

Last Hard: 12 miler yesterday started OK but became a bit of a chore. Looking forward to rest.

Minkin - you have to decide if what you feel is the effect of training (good) or overtraining. What I feel like now is also what I felt like when i started ramping up (also quite quickly) but came through. I will have had built up consecutive rundays from 7, 15, now 19 and next will be around 22-24.
  • Options
    Morning All,

BT, well done on your 10K.
    Drew, get well soon mate.

What: nowt
    Why: rest day
    Last hard run: Yesterday
    Last rest day: Friday
  • Options
    Morning.....

What: rest day
    Why: recover from weekend- legs are feeling the effect of 12 miles in the rain yesterday

Last hard: Sat
    Last rest: Thurs

Typical! A rest day and there's blue sky and sunshine out there!
  • Options
    Morning all.

Eek!! Lots of germs on the thread so I'll make it brief.

I'll be resting between race and club night.

Have fun, especially those struggling with microbes and/or cleats.
  • Options
    HillyHilly ✭✭✭
    Minkin-now that you've got to 30 miles a week a step back week sounds like a good idea. I would then maintain 30 miles for a while to allow the body time to adjust before cranking it up again. Good training though!

Lynne-your training seems to be going well!

Well done sfh on your weekend effort, sounded like fun and a conquest!

Get well soon Drew, Patouka and anyone else with the lurgy!

Lizzy-have you ever tried showshoe running? I'm surprised they don't organise snowshoe races in Iceland! Apparently it only requires minimal changes in running technique.

Sounds fun, I'd love to have a go! Although I've never had my foot on a ski or anything similar!

No cleat training today as it's too wet! Good excuse!

No work either!
  • Options
    What: 4 x 1mile reps 8:00, 8:00, 7:00, 6:22

Why: Legs still felt sore from Saturday's half, so didn't try the intended Yassoo 800's. After the first 2 reps they were fine so upped the pace.

Last Hard: Saturday

Last Rest: Yesterday
  • Options
    Hello again......

What - Just done my lunch time trip to the park. Can only manage about 4 miles in a lunch hour, (allowing for shower afterwards!)but it's a lovely run & surprising how many squirrels live in a city centre!

Why - Late night last night (went to see the Stereophonics....They were FAB) so I'm off to bed early tonight.
    and I don't like running on my own in the dark either! (wimp)

Last hard - Thursday last
    Last rest - Saturday

Happy running / resting.......

And, in the words of the stereophonics......."Have a nice day!"
  • Options
    3TL3TL ✭✭✭
    Afternoon all,

5 Miles quite sharpish for me this morning. Probably because I had so much energy coursing round my body after missing my long run (first time I've ever missed a planned one!) this weekend. Hanging my head in shame for a couple of mins. Oh well, there's always next weekend!
  • Options
    Hello everyone

Did about 3 1/2 miles on Friday at club, calf wasn't 100%, a bit tight but not too bad. Rested it over the weekend, should have been doing club x-c yesterday but didn't think my leg would cope.

What: short gentle run
    Why: see if calf injury is progressing. The club is taking part in the High Peak relay on Sunday and I think they have only just got enough for 2 teams so want to be fit for then.

I'm planning on entering the Keyworth half next month, anyone else doing this? Feel like I need something to aim for, just hoping I'll be able to get some training in as the last month has been a bit of a wash-out.

Hilly - hope the break from running does the trick.

Congrats all those who got pbs at the weekend.
  • Options
    Afternoon everyone.

What: 4 miles tempo run, 30 minutes hard cycling, gym session, 20 minutes swimming drills.
    Why: Final hard session before cycle race on Sunday.
    Last hard: Friday
    Last rest: Yesterday

Leave for S. Africa tonight to give me 5 days to acclimatise before the race and to enjoy the sunshine/warm weather. Did 3 hours 41 minutes in this race last year and would like to get under 3 hours 20 mins this year. However with the Dublin marathon still in my legs I am not sure that I will be fully fit. So my aims are:

Over 3:30 Below expectation
    Sub 3:30 Met expectation
    Sub 3:20 Above expectation