Options

Lanzarote 2014

Comments

• Options

Good lad, bet he is having a good old whinge tho image

• Options

Shame for Slag and Hokori.  Not been a convenient training period for Slag changing jobs and all the other sh1t.  image  

• Options
    Unlucky for the non finishers but it is a tough course.

Any news on Bassy ? He's not hit 37k yet if the tracker is to be believed.
  • Options

image ((((((slag and also Hokori))))))) Hope the beers are cold and fast flowing.

• Options

Any news on SA?

• Options

According to farsebook via Sarah he's on the last few k's in the run. Would treat with a pinch of salf through because been to the pub all night and not sure exacly what she said.image

• Options

Just in case I don't think the results are updating that quickly according to farsebook Mr Gingerfurball's has finished about 30 minutes ago (doesn't post but wife does) But not showing up on results page.

• Options
  • Options

Just pottered in here, coach Bassos finished. 15 something. Well done all.

• Options

Well done to the finishers, commiserations to Slag and Hokori, rest well tonight and have a good one tomorrow image

• Options
    Blimey. Anyone who walks a marathon nuff respect. Its harder than running. A long term back injury means that was my swansong. Thanks to the supporters, and to friends over the last 7 years. Be safe my friends, and race with a smile.

It was always fun. Memories last forever. Carpe diem pirata.
  • Options
    Flat FootedFlat Footed ✭✭✭

If you've retired Bassy can i have your bike legs please, they're still better then the ones i have.

• Options

Sad to hear that Bassy great job on toughing it out. Well done to all finishers and commiserations to those that had to pull

• Options

well done Bassy.....image

• Options

SA.brilliant result.........the DIY ironman is definitely the early season race that everyone should attend......image

• Options
    Well done Pirates!! And well walked Bassy, sorry to hear you're retiring
  • Options

Well done all finishers and commiserations to Slag and Hokori.

Bassy... You can't possibly retire. We just have to fix you! image

• Options
    We can rebuild him image

Recover well pirates !!
  • Options
    IronbawsIronbaws ✭✭✭

Respect. What an exciting day yesterday for us armchair supporters. Huge congrats to all for getting to the start line and giving it a go. That is one hell of a challenging event.

• Options

Relays it is then Mr Bassy, based on yesterday, we'll put you on the swim leg image

• Options

What an amazing race IM Lanzarote is.

Loved every minute of it (with the possible exception of certain stages of the swim where layers of skin were being rubbed off my neck).

Race report will follow in due course. For now I just to eat, drink and spend some quality holiday time with my wife and kids, who have shown a great deal of patience with me over the course of the last 6 months or so.
  • Options

Well done IronPudge, enjoy your well earned rest.

• Options

Congratulations to all who finished, some great times, look forward to reading the reports.

• Options

Was great supporting while we were there image

well ill done all!

• Options

There was an extra word there.

• Options

The best place to start any report is at the beginning I guess. The beginning for me was almost a year ago when I had watched the progress of various pirates in Lanzarote 2013 on the 'live' IM feed. It was at this point when I began to wonder whether I had what it took to complete an Ironman, and started thinking seriously about entering one.

A short time after this, talk on the forum turned to the venue of the next pirate outing. It was to be Nice. Having a young family, any trip abroad was always going to be a family affair as I couldn't justify going away for a jolly by myself. On this basis, Nice was quickly ruled out as there was no interest in going there from Mrs Pudge and the Pudgelets.

IMUK is practically on my doorstep, and IM Wales is not a million miles away, so these were options initially, but if I was going to be spending 6 months training for it, I thought I may as well make it somewhere nice and sunny and tie it in with a family holiday.

We have been to the Canaries quite a few times and it's a mutually acceptable destination.....so Ironman Lanzarote it was to be.

Fast forward 11 months and I'm stood on the beach at Puerto del Carmen waiting to start my first Ironman.

• Options

In the few weeks leading up to the event I was confident that I would finish, as my training had gone according to plan and I'd put in the hours. I'd used Fink Intermediate as a starting point, albeit I had stripped out all the 'sciency' bits, and just used the general timetable and session lengths as my plan. On reflection, it wasn't really Fink at all once I'd finished bastardising it, but i wanted to keep it simple as possible.

Doing the DIY half was a massive help and indicator of where I was fitness wise, so massive thanks to mr and mrs SA for putting this on.

Looking back at my training logs, I did about half the swimming I had scheduled to do (mainly because I neglected it in the early stages of training), I was pretty much on track with the cycling I had scheduled to do, and I ran far in excess of what my plan set out (I did a few marathons and an ultra whilst training).

Heading out to Lanzarote, I felt in good shape and ready to roll.

As far as targets go, my primary aim was to go under 13 hours, but beyond that I just wanted to finish. If I'm being completely honest, I had secret grand plans of going sub-12, and I might have gotten away with it if it wasn't for those pesky transitions!

• Options

Me, Mrs Pudge and the Pudgelets travelled out to Lanza on the Thursday before the race. Ideally would have travelled earlier but that's just how our flight arrangements panned out. We arrived at the hotel 3pm, where I dumped the bags, left the family to go sunbathe and relax, while I hotfooted it into a taxi to go and pick up SA and Littleclown and then head up to registration at Club La Santa.

Club La Santa is a seriously impressive facility, particularly the 16 lane, 50m outdoor pool and athletics track. It's a sportsman's dream. There was a real buzz about the place and I started to feel quite excited about what lie ahead.

We met up with Hokori at registration and had a little mooch about before deciding to get a cab back to Puerto del Carmen. Easier said than done as there were none about, and Club la Santa is pretty isolated. The reception desk were unwilling to order us a cab so we were forced to sit about and just wait for one to turn up, along with a queue of others. We chatted with the others in the queue for a bit and an hour later we were finally in a taxi on our way back.

Headed back to the hotel, had a bite to eat then got off to bed.